We Love Katamari - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (3211 Views )

Ishmael
2192th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"We Love Katamari" , posted Sun 11 Sep 04:07post reply

FYI, several stores in the US have decided to ignore the 9/20 release date and are already selling WLK. So far my favorite addition is the ability to make the Prince dance and sing while on the mission select screen.

Replies:

Mav
102th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(1):We Love Katamari" , posted Sun 11 Sep 06:35post reply

quote:
FYI, several stores in the US have decided to ignore the 9/20 release date and are already selling WLK. So far my favorite addition is the ability to make the Prince dance and sing while on the mission select screen.

Define "Several stores in the US". NOW.

Dragon-warrior
1252th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(2):We Love Katamari" , posted Sun 11 Sep 07:18post reply

quote:

Define "Several stores in the US". NOW.

i heard target have them

Mav
104th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(3):We Love Katamari" , posted Sun 11 Sep 11:24post reply

The Super Target seemed wise to my tricks, but the next closest normal Target had them in stock. This just made my weekend.

Variable Savior
306th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(4):We Love Katamari" , posted Sun 11 Sep 14:23post reply

Is the sequel priced the same as the original ($20.00)?

Blood marks heaven's path

Mav
105th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(5):We Love Katamari" , posted Mon 12 Sep 04:35post reply

quote:

$30.00, actually. Worth the price of your first-born.
It's worth every penny more, since I'd have paid a full $50.00 for the original if I'd known I'd love it that much.

Ishmael
2194th Post

"Re(6):We Love Katamari" , posted Mon 12 Sep 05:19post reply

quote:

It's worth every penny more, since I'd have paid a full $50.00 for the original if I'd known I'd love it that much.

I guess Namco figured that fans of the game would be so eager for a sequel that they would willingly cough up ten extra dollars for it. Namco figured correctly.

So far I'm really enjoying WLK. The Katamari handles a bit differently but not in a bad way. While it seems you can't move as quickly backwards you don't hemorrhage items due to light collisions anymore either so I consider it a fair trade. The missions are more varied this time out including a few that have no other point than to remind you how much fun it is to roll a ball around. I've seen some articles on KD that describe the experience of lumping everything together as an almost Zen-like experience. It could also be argued that when you're in your happy little ball rolling world KD turns into a nearly autistic experience but I doubt that comparison would move as many games.

The story, what there is of it, is having some fun with showing how the King of the Cosmos grew up with a father who looks like Heihachi with a more sedate wardrobe. Oh, and I figured out the point to making the Prince dance is that you can get the other cousins to join in and follow you. There's no real point to it but it is fun to see a dozen of those weird little things jumping around together.

Mav
106th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(7):We Love Katamari" , posted Mon 12 Sep 08:24post reply

quote:

There's no real point to it but it is fun to see a dozen of those weird little things jumping around together.

I've spent a little too much time doing that, already. KD brings out that side of you.

It's also noteworthy the game seems to look better, overall. The whole asthetic package works together in a seemless fashion. Even the manual is a thick, full-color storybook-like sequence of crude drawings and quirky gameplay explainations.

Undead Fred
2485th Post

"Re(1):We Love Katamari" , posted Mon 12 Sep 12:03post reply

quote:

OH MY GOD. I had been meaning to take a look at this thread for a few days now, and now I've got to start searching stores tomorrow to see if they have the game. Is it only Target, or has anyone else noticed the game somewhere else?

kilvear
108th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(7):We Love Katamari" , posted Mon 12 Sep 16:55post reply

quote:

I guess Namco figured that fans of the game would be so eager for a sequel that they would willingly cough up ten extra dollars for it. Namco figured correctly.

So far I'm really enjoying WLK. The Katamari handles a bit differently but not in a bad way. While it seems you can't move as quickly backwards you don't hemorrhage items due to light collisions anymore either so I consider it a fair trade. The missions are more varied this time out including a few that have no other point than to remind you how much fun it is to roll a ball around. I've seen some articles on KD that describe the experience of lumping everything together as an almost Zen-like experience. It could also be argued that when you're in your happy little ball rolling world KD turns into a nearly autistic experience but I doubt that comparison would move as many games.

The story, what there is of it, is having some fun with showing how the King of the Cosmos grew up with a father who looks like Heihachi with a more sedate wardrobe. Oh, and I figured out the point to making the Prince dance is that you can get the other cousins to join in and follow you. There's no real point to it but it is fun to see a dozen of those weird little things jumping around together.

Wise Words of Ishmael!

HAIL! THE WISE ONE!

Nothing Serious. Casuals Only.

Ammadeau
1433th Post

"Re(8):We Love Katamari" , posted Mon 12 Sep 20:25post reply

I'm getting a review copy, but I think it's a boxed copy which means I'm in for a terrible wait... but I just paid my car insurance so waiting it must be.

Ammadeau.net - My own personal waste of time.

Sensenic
1367th Post

"Re(7):We Love Katamari" , posted Mon 12 Sep 20:40post reply

quote:
I've seen some articles on KD that describe the experience of lumping everything together as an almost Zen-like experience.

You mean this one?

What other page could it be?

Za Peepaa Yomiko chan! -Nyoooon-

My philosophy professor was a flan Myself

Ishmael
2195th Post

"Re(8):We Love Katamari" , posted Tue 13 Sep 00:26post reply

quote:
I've seen some articles on KD that describe the experience of lumping everything together as an almost Zen-like experience.
You mean this one?

What other page could it be?

Actually I was thinking of this article over at Gamasutra, a site that's like IC but without the questionable Tim Rogers aftertaste.

Undead Fred
2502th Post

"OWE-GAMIIIIIIIIIIIII... OWE-GAMIIIIIIIIII..." , posted Sat 24 Sep 05:30:post reply

For those of us who weren't lucky enough to get the game early, how is everyone else enjoying the game? I'm liking it a lot so far. I haven't quite gotten into the music quite as much as I had the first game's music (so far), but it's still fun stuff. I like the huge jump in variety in the mission types now, and the fans are fun to listen to. My favorite gift so far is the Little Buddy (especially the Prince's version), and I like being able to play with the different cousins. I was hoping they'd let you link your new and old data, and I'm happy to see that they did that in more than just the constellation viewer.

[this message was edited by Undead Fred on Sat 24 Sep 06:46]

Ammadeau
1438th Post

"Re(1):OWE-GAMIIIIIIIIIIIII... OWE-GAMIIIIIII" , posted Sat 24 Sep 13:05post reply

Give the new tunes a chance and you'll begin to enjoy them. I felt the same at first, but now I wouldn't want them to be changed.

I think they polished up every aspect of the original to make a game that's essentially flawless and fun for the whole family. It has the sort of care to detail that other games should make but never do. Still short, but I doubt I'll ever get tired of playing it so it's hard to mind that.

Undead Fred
2502th Post

"Re(2):OWE-GAMIIIIIIIIIIIII... OWE-GAMIIIIIII" , posted Sat 24 Sep 15:08post reply

quote:
Give the new tunes a chance and you'll begin to enjoy them. I felt the same at first, but now I wouldn't want them to be changed.

Yeah, they're growing on me too... I figured they would with a little time. They don't have any Lonely Rolling Star-level songs, but I still like them and don't really want them changed, as you've said.

Was the King mad at you when you finished the game too?

Ammadeau
1439th Post

"Re(3):OWE-GAMIIIIIIIIIIIII... OWE-GAMIIIIIII" , posted Sat 24 Sep 21:50post reply

quote:

I don't think there was a time when he wasn't mad at me, but yeah like most I'm sure I finished the game too fast. But I'm still playing, maybe to unlock that mysterious second bonus movie.

exodus
2988th Post

"music" , posted Sun 25 Sep 02:53post reply

btw - did anyone else notice that the one of the songs that was in the preview video on gamewatch got re-recorded for the game version? I really liked that song, so I was quite disappointed that they added an old lady and an accordian.

Iggy
7275th Post

"Not all of us love Katamari" , posted Sun 25 Sep 04:42post reply

I now find this title extremely ironic.

ねんがんの 7000をてにいれたぞ!
  そう かんけいないね
=> 殺してでもうばいとる
  ゆずってくれ たのむ!!

Undead Fred
2503th Post

"Re(1):Not all of us love Katamari" , posted Sun 25 Sep 15:35post reply

quote:

BLASPHEMER

Iggy
7278th Post

"Re(2):Not all of us love Katamari" , posted Sun 25 Sep 17:30post reply

quote:
BLASPHEMER

Oh, no, I wasn't talking about me.
I was talking about the very father of Katamari.

ねんがんの 7000をてにいれたぞ!
  そう かんけいないね
=> 殺してでもうばいとる
  ゆずってくれ たのむ!!

Ishmael
2213th Post

"Re(3):OWE-GAMIIIIIIIIIIIII... OWE-GAMIIIIIII" , posted Mon 26 Sep 05:02post reply

quote:

Spoiler (Highlight to view) -
I haven't finished unlocking all the bonus levels so I'm not sure what comes after you "finish" the game but are you talking about what the King says after you finish rolling up the sun? If so, did you manage to make it to the end of the credits without getting rolled up by the King's katamari?

End of Spoiler

Undead Fred
2505th Post

"Re(4):OWE-GAMIIIIIIIIIIIII... OWE-GAMIIIIIII" , posted Mon 26 Sep 14:09post reply

quote:

Secret response!

Spoiler (Highlight to view) -
Yeah, I replayed the credits minigame and realized what the comment meant- they were talking about how I totally screwed up on the minigame and only rolled up the character I was playing with. Heh heh. At the time, I hadn't played with the Katamari Damacy family yet, so I didn't replay the little credits game. I still haven't gotten the bonus endings yet (I think Bonus 1's available in the memorial, but I was wanting to see if I could trigger it "naturally" in the game first).

End of Spoiler

Iggy- ahhhh, okay. I hadn't gotten around to reading that Gamasutra article yet, so I misread your post. Sorry, I was tired. Heh heh.

Undead Fred
2507th Post

"Re(5):OWE-GAMIIIIIIIIIIIII... OWE-GAMIIIIIII" , posted Tue 27 Sep 18:45:post reply

I wanted to find something out... I've been playing through the levels again, and I was wondering if anyone else got perfects on the Jupiter "perfect fit" levels? I figure they're either really forgiving, or my graphic design classes are paying off- I hit the 2m one perfectly in one try (2m0cm0mm), and the 50m one as well (50m0cm).

[this message was edited by Undead Fred on Tue 27 Sep 18:46]

aderack
173th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(1):Not all of us love Katamari" , posted Wed 28 Sep 00:32:post reply

quote:

It's referring to the first game.

Keita Takahashi didn't even want to make this game. He only did when he found an excuse to do so -- that being that everyone liked the first game and had his or her own ideas about how to make it better. So that's the entire concept behind the sequel. Even in its storyline.

If people don't like the sequel as much, I think he's made his point.

[this message was edited by aderack on Wed 28 Sep 00:51]

Iggy
7288th Post

"Re(2):Not all of us love Katamari" , posted Wed 28 Sep 03:07post reply

quote:
It's referring to the first game.

Keita Takahashi didn't even want to make this game. He only did when he found an excuse to do so -- that being that everyone liked the first game and had his or her own ideas about how to make it better. So that's the entire concept behind the sequel. Even in its storyline.

Oh, thank you so much for explaining all this to me sir, I really didn't have a clue at all. Katamari what you say ?

ねんがんの 7000をてにいれたぞ!
  そう かんけいないね
=> 殺してでもうばいとる
  ゆずってくれ たのむ!!