Softbank Buys Gravity Corp - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (2192 Views )

kilvear
105th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Regular Customer

"Softbank Buys Gravity Corp" , posted Tue 6 Sep 09:06post reply

Strange that I dun see anyone talking about it. Anyways Softbank which owns Gung Ho (company that runs Japanese Ragnarok Online) has bought out Gravity Corp. Which leads to an interesting situation.

1. Gung Ho and Broccoli has released EConline(MOE anyone?) which I feel is their answer to Ragnarok Online.

2. Ragnarok Online in Japan (Surprisingly) is still growing.

3. Ragnarok Online 2 is gonna to have a close beta soon. Trailers be shown at TGS. (Announced by Gravity Corp)Trailers will be totally different from the one shown first at Kamex.

There seem to be a conflict of interest as the titles are targeted at the same range of users.

A wrong move is gonna cost Softbank that's for sure.

Nothing Serious. Casuals Only.

Replies:

Ishmael
2180th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(1):Softbank Buys Gravity Corp" , posted Tue 6 Sep 09:31post reply

quote:
Strange that I dun see anyone talking about it.

According to the NY Times everyone is too busy playing WoW. [Registration might be required.]

ONSLAUGHT
3467th Post

"Re(2):Softbank Buys Gravity Corp" , posted Tue 6 Sep 09:49post reply

quote:
According to the NY Times everyone is too busy playing WoW.

Yeah, this is true, I know a fucker that won't talk to me because he's too busy with his WoW crap.

kilvear
107th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(3):Softbank Buys Gravity Corp" , posted Tue 6 Sep 14:11post reply

quote:

Yeah, this is true, I know a fucker that won't talk to me because he's too busy with his WoW crap.

Blame Him!

http://www.penny-arcade.com/view.php?date=2005-08-26&res=l

Nothing Serious. Casuals Only.

Iggy
7169th Post

"Re(3):Softbank Buys Gravity Corp" , posted Tue 6 Sep 18:36post reply

quote:

I've lost one friend to FF11 and two to WoW.

I really don't like MMORPGs.

ねんがんの 7000をてにいれたぞ!
  そう かんけいないね
=> 殺してでもうばいとる
  ゆずってくれ たのむ!!

Pollyanna
1379th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(4):Softbank Buys Gravity Corp" , posted Tue 6 Sep 19:52post reply

quote:

No kidding. The same thing happened to me. They're bad for society, too...they make people move back in with their parents so that they have more time to play games. It's SICK.

I play MMORPGs, myself, but never much longer than I would play a normal RPG.

Zepy
1115th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member+

"Re(1):Softbank Buys Gravity Corp" , posted Tue 6 Sep 20:19:post reply

ECO is really ugly and really un-ugly at the same time. Plus the stat building is insane. And Tata Rabe is the best unpopular class ever.

Gravity is really worried about RO2, so they're selling out while the going is good.

And I don't understand why they're adding Taekwon, Kensei and Soul Linker to RO. Sure, they're great classes, but... why now?

I lost a lot of friends to FF11. They could be playing Higurashi, but they're stuck to FF11 forever.

Edit: No MMORPG will ever have my soul

[this message was edited by Zepy on Tue 6 Sep 20:20]

Ammadeau
1429th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(1):Softbank Buys Gravity Corp" , posted Tue 6 Sep 20:21post reply

I can't get into MMORPGs, probably because I loathe roughly 99% of the human race. And it takes away time for obscure Japanese games.

Ammadeau.net - My own personal waste of time.

Radish
3019th Post

"Re(4):Softbank Buys Gravity Corp" , posted Tue 6 Sep 20:50post reply

quote:

I don't understand how people play these games so much and have time for jobs in order to play the games. I was pretty into FFXI and I knew people that were logged into the game no matter what time I played.

These games are kinda fun but they seem like a huge waste of time when you devote your life around them. One of my friends just got WOW so I reactivated my account. I'm already a little bored (wow another quest where I kill a bunch of stuff and loot their corpses, how innovative) but I promised to help him out and it's fun to play with people I know in real life.

catalyst
66th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(2):Softbank Buys Gravity Corp" , posted Wed 7 Sep 00:46post reply

quote:

I lost a lot of friends to FF11. They could be playing Higurashi, but they're stuck to FF11 forever.

I have the exact same problem as well, more or less my girlfriend. Gets so annoying when I want to go out and have some fun and pretty much instead would like to level up instead I end up doing what I want to do by myself.Not to nack that mmorpgs are bad but seriously there is so much more to do then just level monotonously.

Really, wouldn't people get bored of it after sometime after releasing the main concept of mmorpgs? I personally don't understand it, I can get the fact that if you want to acquire all skills for a said class and all but other than that It gets boring fast in my opinion.

"Have some confidence in me Pris--the odds are only two against one." -- Cole Cash "Grifter"

Baines
136th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(4):Softbank Buys Gravity Corp" , posted Wed 7 Sep 03:32post reply

I was becoming a MUD addicted at one time, so I refuse to play MMORPGs. I know how hollow the games are, how hollow the achievements are, and how addicting the whole combination gets when you add people into the mix.

Radish
3021th Post

"Re(3):Softbank Buys Gravity Corp" , posted Wed 7 Sep 03:33post reply

quote:

I have the exact same problem as well, more or less my girlfriend. Gets so annoying when I want to go out and have some fun and pretty much instead would like to level up instead I end up doing what I want to do by myself.Not to nack that mmorpgs are bad but seriously there is so much more to do then just level monotonously.

Really, wouldn't people get bored of it after sometime after releasing the main concept of mmorpgs? I personally don't understand it, I can get the fact that if you want to acquire all skills for a said class and all but other than that It gets boring fast in my opinion.

Considering MMORPGs are still going strong in Korea and their versions are all the same hardcore kill bunny grind with slightly different graphics I don't think they're going anywhere.

I can't fathom what makes them so apealing that people forgo real life because they want their character's numbers to go up a little bit in exchange for days of playtime.

Iggy
7174th Post

"Re(4):Softbank Buys Gravity Corp" , posted Wed 7 Sep 05:22post reply

quote:
I can't fathom what makes them so apealing that people forgo real life because they want their character's numbers to go up a little bit in exchange for days of playtime.

This kind of achievement is what allows Dragon Quest to sell millions of copies everytime they make a new one.
Numbers are powerful.

ねんがんの 7000をてにいれたぞ!
  そう かんけいないね
=> 殺してでもうばいとる
  ゆずってくれ たのむ!!

KTallguy
738th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(5):Softbank Buys Gravity Corp" , posted Wed 7 Sep 10:39post reply

quote:
This kind of achievement is what allows Dragon Quest to sell millions of copies everytime they make a new one.
Numbers are powerful.

That's funny, because Ultima Online was the one of the first really successful MMORPGs out there, and it didn't rely on numbers going up quite as much as the average MMO.

But the idea of getting stronger and stronger and then showing off your 'phat loot' to everyone will always appeal. I'd rather play on Japanese servers than American ones though, I hear they are so much more polite there.

Even though I played RO for a while, and even Lineage 2 (haven't tried WOW), I don't ever want to get into an MMO. It's just too easy to get sucked in and completely waste your time. At the end of the day you've put all that time into leveling up a character that is just data on a server, and you can never, ever, EVER get that time back.

But really, if you think about it, games in general are a giant waste of time. MMORPGs are just a waste of a LOT of time.

Proud Supporter of Next Generation GAMEPLAY
"テメエがヤクブソクなんだよ!"

Tai-Pan
45th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(6):Softbank Buys Gravity Corp" , posted Wed 7 Sep 13:46post reply

quote:

But really, if you think about it, games in general are a giant waste of time. MMORPGs are just a waste of a LOT of time.

Even though I dont like MMORPGs, I must say that everything we do in life is a waste of time, but that doesnt matter, who decides what is a waste of time and what is not? If the game entertains and makes some Korean dude feel good (even if he dies while playing), whats the problem?
My point is, IF in this forum we start saying that games are a waste of time, then imo that means that we are getting old..

hayaku!!

ONSLAUGHT
3473th Post

"Re(7):Softbank Buys Gravity Corp" , posted Wed 7 Sep 13:52post reply

quote:

who decides what is a waste of time and what is not?

Reading your posts is a waste of time.

But seriously, I think MMORPGs are a waste of time, because you end up doing monotone things not because they're fun, but because you want to have a big e-dick.

Amakusa
642th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(6):Softbank Buys Gravity Corp" , posted Wed 7 Sep 13:56post reply

quote:

But the idea of getting stronger and stronger and then showing off your 'phat loot' to everyone will always appeal. I'd rather play on Japanese servers than American ones though, I hear they are so much more polite there.

To a certain extent, I think this was true in my case. I was a hardcore WoW player for the first two months it was released, and I had this exhileration for getting off work so I can continue to 'race' people to Level 60 (the current level cap). Of course, I was totally beat out by the college students with too much time on their hands, but then I met a lot of cool people during the 'race'.

That all changed, however, once more people got to Level 60 and everyone I 'grew up' with splintered into separate competing clans each taking stabs at Upper Blackrock Spire and such, and everyone started acting like real jackasses because they got all this cool gear. THAT was the point where I had enough with WoW. To have to pay for it on top of that was killer.

The pay idea is probably what got me to get Guild Wars in the first place AND not regret plunking a lot of time into it.

I found Kagami's sword in a junk yard.
I will rule the world and find that truly good cup of coffee.
"Dink-a-dink-a-dink-a-do."

OYashiroForever
841th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(2):Softbank Buys Gravity Corp" , posted Wed 7 Sep 14:09post reply

quote:
I can't get into MMORPGs, probably because I loathe roughly 99% of the human race. And it takes away time for obscure Japanese games.
Co-sign. I don't play ANY online games for that exact reason. If I want to play games multiplayer, I'll play with my friends.

"Only two things are infinite the universe and human stupidity and I'm not sure about the former."

"Your denial is beneath you and thanks to the use of hallucinogenic drugs I see through you."

Juke Joint Jezebel
3449th Post

"Re(3):Softbank Buys Gravity Corp" , posted Wed 7 Sep 15:06post reply

quote:
loathe loathe loathe loathe hate

i've caught myself masturbating while watching Undead Fred's character run around in City of Heroes. coincidentally, i hate mmorpgs for that very reason

exodus
2952th Post

"Re(1):Softbank Buys Gravity Corp" , posted Thu 8 Sep 04:54post reply

thanks for mentioning this, kilvear - no major game news site has covered this, but thanks to your post, now at least one has!

Hagen de Merak
900th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(3):Softbank Buys Gravity Corp" , posted Thu 8 Sep 07:14post reply

quote:

haha, mas bien muy ocupado con la escuela. WoW solamente lo juego los fines de semana.

Juan
4217th Post

"Re(4):Softbank Buys Gravity Corp" , posted Thu 8 Sep 10:06post reply

Intellect debuff in this thread!

quote:

Tai-Pan
46th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(8):Softbank Buys Gravity Corp" , posted Fri 9 Sep 12:23post reply

quote:

who decides what is a waste of time and what is not?

Reading your posts is a waste of time.

But seriously, I think MMORPGs are a waste of time, because you end up doing monotone things not because they're fun, but because you want to have a big e-dick.

For some people, not me, competition means fun and joy, I understand that. And what is a waste of time for you, may be not for some others. I started thinking that every Final Fantasy after IX was a complete waste of time.

hayaku!!