PIU Exceed Xbox Live - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (1990 Views )

Phoenix
830th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"PIU Exceed Xbox Live" , posted Thu 1 Sep 19:17post reply

is apparently out in the US (Gamestop, EB...) with downloadable songs and online play. Has anyone tried Pump It Up? How is it? I've seen it a few times and I've always been meaning to try it but alas. $59.99 with the dancing pad isn't a bad deal.

Replies:

exodus
2938th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(1):PIU Exceed Xbox Live" , posted Fri 2 Sep 02:59post reply

Take this with a grain of salt because I know the guy that brought it here...

But I really like it. I like the songs better than DDR because...well they're different. And the motions make you feel a bit more dynamic when you're doing them. Also, the pad is pretty solid - it's heavy and has a rubber bottom that sticks to the floor (but not like with suction or anything, it's just abrasive).

I hadn't played DDR in a while, when I played PIU at home (I got the press preview kit). After doing that for a while, I tried DDR again, and found that the steps felt so artificial...

So yeah, basically I recommend it. There are lots of songs and modes to unlock, and it's pretty much worth the price in my opinion.

afrojesus
22th Post

New Customer

"Re(2):PIU Exceed Xbox Live" , posted Fri 2 Sep 12:43post reply

the game in general has a more natural flow to it due to the button layout(the body moves at angles when dancing or moving in general instead of straight foward lines).

secondly, the songs have far more variation from teh standard j-pop/techno remixes that most have been accustomed to while playing ddr(but then again, most otaku hate anything non japanese, so it's almost a moot point), which is wholly enjoyable(rock/pop/r&b/techno/classical/rap/etc).

but, playing the title at home means nothing as it just boils down to the player only learning how to match steps for points(which has never been the point about a 'dancing' title). play this in the arcade where you will get the most out of it, or just dont play it.

Phoenix
832th Post

"Re(3):PIU Exceed Xbox Live" , posted Sat 3 Sep 02:43post reply

The thing that I'm excited about is how they're already planning two update download packets via Live like the Hurricane packs for Ninja Gaiden. Complete with new songs and stuff. And online competition with tournament modes and what not too. I've been getting good reviews from people both online and in real life. So yeah, I think I'll pay the 59.99 and try it out. Many thanks!

afrojesus
23th Post

New Customer

"Re(4):PIU Exceed Xbox Live" , posted Sun 4 Sep 03:45post reply

quote:
The thing that I'm excited about is how they're already planning two update download packets via Live like the Hurricane packs for Ninja Gaiden. Complete with new songs and stuff. And online competition with tournament modes and what not too. I've been getting good reviews from people both online and in real life. So yeah, I think I'll pay the 59.99 and try it out. Many thanks!

it's good to see the company support it's titles over xbox live, but as far as tournaments go; it's most likely going to be tech only(as you cant "see" how your opponent would be "dancing" with xbox live. :(

Pollyanna
1381th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(5):PIU Exceed Xbox Live" , posted Thu 8 Sep 07:07post reply

Whee! I got it on PS2 and it's...quite a strange experience for me. I used to be quite good at DDR, but playing this is like starting all over again. It's excitingggg!

But now...now is the time for change! Now is the time for DANCE!!! For years, I haven' been able to dance, because I've either been in apartments on the 2nd floor, with people who have different schedules than me, or in rooms that are way too hot. But NOW, I have a huge room in a good apartment on the first floor with tile that's very cool without anyone irritating around.

So, it's time to be skinny again, not just "normal". When I accept my award for Sexiest Scriptwriter In The Apartment Complex, I'll be sure to mention Brandon.

Phoenix
837th Post

"Re(6):PIU Exceed Xbox Live" , posted Thu 8 Sep 12:55:post reply

quote:
Now is the time for DANCE!!!

I just bought it from Gamestop and it's sitting on my couch with the pretty plastic wrap still around it. I'm so excited about trying it out. I'll be sure to post impressions later. Oh, and I feel the same way about the time for dance thing. I finally have my own room and finally no one lives under me. So yeah, now's the time. God knows I've been lazy about exercise.

[this message was edited by Phoenix on Thu 8 Sep 12:57]

Mog
390th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(6):PIU Exceed Xbox Live" , posted Thu 8 Sep 13:49post reply

quote:

So, it's time to be skinny again, not just "normal".

Please excuse my prying, but that doesn't sound... healthy. Are you sure that's a good idea? Not that it's any of my god damn business, but still...

Pollyanna
1382th Post

"Re(7):PIU Exceed Xbox Live" , posted Thu 8 Sep 14:15post reply

quote:

Please excuse my prying, but that doesn't sound... healthy. Are you sure that's a good idea? Not that it's any of my god damn business, but still...

Well, "skinny" isn't good for some people. But for me...when I eat well and excercise, I'm skinny. When I'm skinny I sleep better and have more energy. I don't mean like vomit skinny.

But, I live in America and have realistic weight expectations. Someone who is "normal" has fat on them. Someone who is thin, is noticably not fat. Someone who is skinny is noticably thin.

Phoenix
838th Post

"Re(8):PIU Exceed Xbox Live" , posted Thu 8 Sep 15:55:post reply

I was out of breath and sweating once I finished the beginner mode with the 2 easiest songs. The new diagonal steps threw me off completely out of my usual groove. But after about a song or two I adjusted and I do feel like I'm dancing a bit. Apparently in nightmare mode you have to use your hands and knees (?)- so yeah this game has tons of depth if you want to become a master at it. I noticed like 5 or so difficulty settings and the game comes with 97 songs. In any case I had to take a shower after PIU so I know I'm at least getting my cardiovascular exercise.

Nice songs/animation/presentation etc. Oh, and I was wrong about the online tournaments. It just has internet score ranking via worldwide leader board. Apparently you can download a step editor via live (you can edit your own step arrows for the songs and make it as easy or as crazy as you want) plus new songs. The dance pad is quite nice and it didn't slide at all thanks to that crazy anti-skid bottom. Solid. I hope Andamiro makes sequels. (or is it Mastiff?)

edit: Ah, Exceed 2 already came out in the arcades last year with new features.
http://www.channelbeat.com/products/dance/pump_it_up_series/422.html

[this message was edited by Phoenix on Thu 8 Sep 16:09]

Pollyanna
1383th Post

"Re(9):PIU Exceed Xbox Live" , posted Thu 8 Sep 17:49post reply

quote:
I hope Andamiro makes sequels. (or is it Mastiff?)

Mastiff is just the American publisher (though I assume they're responsible for the English songs?)

Yeah, the problem I have with this game (that isn't the game's fault) is that I don't have "instincts" for it. When I see certain patterns in DDR, my feet "know" 5 or 6 different ways to handle it and I can usually do some sort of dance move in the process. For PIU, it's just like I'm hitting the pad with my feet. Maybe if I saw a video of someone playing...

exodus
2953th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(10):PIU Exceed Xbox Live" , posted Fri 9 Sep 00:50post reply

anytime someone talks about sexiest (XX), and then mentions me, I'm happy.

the adjustment wasn't too hard for me, cause I hadn't played DDR in about 3 years, so even with DDR I'd have been starting over. I found myself getting pretty decent pretty fast...man, I should be playing it too! geh!

Though I sure don't need to get skinnier.

And also: whoever says skinny isn't healthy ignores the fact that skinny is hot. There, I said it!