Virtua Fighter 5, Afterburner, Virtua Tennis3 - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (3062 Views )

Fuchikoma
1365th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Virtua Fighter 5, Afterburner, Virtua Tennis3" , posted Thu 1 Sep 06:53:post reply

Go SEGA! GO SEEEEEGAAAA!

NON SUCKAGE

[this message was edited by Fuchikoma on Thu 1 Sep 06:59]

Replies:

KTALLGUY
731th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(1):Virtua Fighter 5, Afterburner, Virtua T" , posted Thu 1 Sep 10:14post reply

YAY

Proud Supporter of Next Generation GAMEPLAY
"テメエがヤクブソクなんだよ!"

makatiel
171th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(2):Virtua Fighter 5, Afterburner, Virtua T" , posted Thu 1 Sep 10:25post reply

It looks pretty incredible. I'll be heading there this weekend. Hopefully it won't just be a video like it was at the E3.

GekigangerV
1156th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member+

"Re(3):Virtua Fighter 5, Afterburner, Virtua T" , posted Thu 1 Sep 10:55post reply

The graphical jump from VF4 to VF5 doesn't seem as extreme as all the previous ones. Almost like high-end VF4 CG, but they still look nice. I'm sure they could make it look better if they tried. For example, make Akira's hair less grouped together like a manga character.

I can't wait to play it. I wonder what two new characters and fighting styles they will add.

Ammadeau
1424th Post

"Re(4):Virtua Fighter 5, Afterburner, Virtua T" , posted Thu 1 Sep 11:16post reply

I think the problem is more of the design than the limitations of the tech. VF characters have really poor designs, and in some ways are still based around their VF1 days with only marginal upgrades. They need to be redone from the start and by a better artist.

Ammadeau.net - My own personal waste of time.

Fuchikoma
1365th Post

"Re(4):Virtua Fighter 5, Afterburner, Virtua T" , posted Thu 1 Sep 11:19post reply

The Lindbergh itself seems pretty interesting... it runs a Pentium 4 CPU and an Nvidia GPU with all the latest pixel shader stuff. This tells me it would be really easy to make PC ports of these games... although you'd need a pretty high end PC to play them.

Psy Phi has my interest too... I knew when Yu Suzuki had been quiet for so long... that he had to be up to something. From that one shot it almost looks like Psychic Force or something...

makatiel
172th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(5):Virtua Fighter 5, Afterburner, Virtua T" , posted Thu 1 Sep 15:36post reply

quote:
I think the problem is more of the design than the limitations of the tech. VF characters have really poor designs, and in some ways are still based around their VF1 days with only marginal upgrades. They need to be redone from the start and by a better artist.

I totally agree. However the characters designs in my opinion have at least been getting better. goh and brad have a lot more personality than any of the older chars. also, i know lots of vf players who like the generic quality of the vf characters.

whatever the case, the gameplay makes up for all of it. imo, it's the best fighting game ever created.

KTALLGUY
732th Post

"Re(6):Virtua Fighter 5, Afterburner, Virtua T" , posted Thu 1 Sep 16:50post reply

quote:
imo, it's the best fighting game ever created.

YES

quote:

Well, at the same time all the little costume items on the characters in the new versions really allowed players to put their own personality on the characters. I like that about VF. I do admit that I wish some of them were a little more 'bad ass'.

What I REALLY want to know is how is the fighting going to be? I wonder how it will change. I'm really curious as to what AM2 thought up. That, in the end, is more important than Akira's head of hair being made up of 200000 strands of individual hair that move independantly. You can't really see that shit anyway.

"テメエがヤクブソクなんだよ!"

NARUTO
3203th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Sega Demo Vids!!!" , posted Thu 1 Sep 19:05post reply

For those who wish to see Sega's new games:

http://rapidshare.de/files/4594034/segaamshow.zip.html

Copy and paste...

Tu Fuis Ego eris...
Like you I was Like me you'll be...

CHAZumaru
214th Post

Frequent Customer

"MASKED MEXICAN WRESTLER LOVE" , posted Thu 1 Sep 19:22post reply

Finally ! Crazy mexican wrestling in VF, King can go to hell. The other new one looks scaringly tekkenish, though, I would have prefered one of the new chars of Tekken 5 dark something. If you don't see any major graphic evolution in VF5, check how every piece of clothing is dealt with separately. Pretty impressive. Also, body parts are much better linked together (as seen on Wolf's shoulder and arm junction in the video).

NOW IS TIME TO THE 68000 Z80 AND SH-2 HEART ON FIRE !!

Nickey
22th Post

New Customer

"Re(1):Sega Demo Vids!!!" , posted Thu 1 Sep 21:57post reply

quote:
For those who wish to see Sega's new games:

http://rapidshare.de/files/4594034/segaamshow.zip.html

Copy and paste...

Thanks! VF 5 looks great, I'm glad the backgrounds alone are alot more Detailed. the funny thing is VF4 still looks better then 95% of fighting games out there (The arcade version does, the PS2 version looks better then 85% of most fighting games), Psy-Phi seems interesting....there are BLACK PEOPLE although one of them looks like a japanese girl with a realllllyyy deep tan.

Tell me why do we work over-time Looking for that "SOMEONE"?
Why you lookin around in and out of town being lost and found
And when we find that special "SOMEONE"
Then the love turns part-time
Then you lose yourself
...Love is cozmo-naughty

Fuchikoma
1368th Post

"Metal Slug 6 and Hokuto no Ken" , posted Fri 2 Sep 02:16post reply

Psi Phy definitely caught my interest the most... I had joked that it looks like Psychic Force... but now after seeing it in action... it really is Psychic Force with an over the shoulder camera like Phantom Dust or DBZ Sparking!.

Also it seems like Afterburner is sticking to it's roots as a rail shooter... I wonder if that's a smart move... or a dumb move...

Sega has a page up HERE With shots of those games... including Hokuto no Ken and Metal Slug 6 (oddly enough) look close at the middle Metal Slug pic... I see Ralf and Clark.

Kikkoken
963th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(1):Metal Slug 6 and Hokuto no Ken" , posted Fri 2 Sep 03:31post reply

quote:
look close at the middle Metal Slug pic... I see Ralf and Clark.

I know -- it seems that those fakes that were made from MS5 a few years back have seduced SNKP. I wonder if they'll find a way to integrate their super moves in the gameplay. Either way, I'm already excited (not to the point of creaming my pants, though).

Fuchikoma
1370th Post

"Re(2):Metal Slug 6 and Hokuto no Ken" , posted Fri 2 Sep 03:37post reply

quote:
look close at the middle Metal Slug pic... I see Ralf and Clark.

I know -- it seems that those fakes that were made from MS5 a few years back have seduced SNKP. I wonder if they'll find a way to integrate their super moves in the gameplay. Either way, I'm already excited (not to the point of creaming my pants, though).

I will definitely play the game because of Ralf and Clark... but it seems that their addition is the marker that SNK is officially out of ideas for Metal Slug... although there's some new move called "Rush Blaster System".

Whatever happened to Metal Slug 3D? It was shown quite a while back... but they've been quiet about it since...

Shin_ATproof
1205th Post

"Re(3):Metal Slug 6 and Hokuto no Ken" , posted Fri 2 Sep 04:10post reply

Wow...

VF5 and HnK made my day.
Both those games look B-E-Autiful!!

Sí mon con langosta y camarón

crazymike
1160th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member+

"Re(4):Metal Slug 6 and Hokuto no Ken" , posted Fri 2 Sep 15:02post reply

All I can say is, thank god Afterburner is STILL linear and about blowing shit up going really fast and didn't try and go into the 360 degree field! (not being sarcastic either!)

Ishmael
2177th Post

"Re(7):Virtua Fighter 5, Afterburner, Virtua T" , posted Sat 3 Sep 00:31post reply

quote:

Well, at the same time all the little costume items on the characters in the new versions really allowed players to put their own personality on the characters. I like that about VF. I do admit that I wish some of them were a little more 'bad ass'.

I'd settle for just a tad less dorky. Jacky isn't a bad character but that "YEEEEAH!" he constantly shrieks out grates on my nerves so badly that I can't stand to play the guy for more than a few rounds at a time. While I like that Akira and Kage are turning into big, fat slabs as the series progresses I agree with Ammadeau that a redesign of the characters probably wouldn't hurt them in the least.

Both the luchadore and the new girl look like they will be fun additions to VF. Does anyone know what sort of style she's using?

makatiel
175th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(8):Virtua Fighter 5, Afterburner, Virtua T" , posted Sat 3 Sep 01:24post reply

quote:
Both the luchadore and the new girl look like they will be fun additions to VF. Does anyone know what sort of style she's using?

Rumor has it that she practices monkey style.

Fuchikoma
1372th Post

"Touching is good" , posted Sat 3 Sep 03:30post reply

After looking through all the AM show pictures popping up... I noticed something interesting about Psy Phi, the game uses a touch screen. You'll notice in the game shots that there's arrows in the corners of the screen... well they're touch sensative.

I don't know how much of the game uses the touch screen... but it's definitely an interesting approach for an arcade game.

Gojira
1820th Post

Silver Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(1):Touching is good" , posted Sat 3 Sep 08:46post reply

According to Gamespot you shoot by touching the green circle where the opponent is, and when you want to dodge you touch one of the four arrows in the corner. I hope there's more to it than that.

Iggy
7161th Post

"Re(2):Touching is good" , posted Sat 3 Sep 09:03post reply

Lots of details on Psy Phi.
The game appears to be at the same time too strange (you don't understand what you are doing) and quite shallow, which would hurt it in the long term.
On the other hand, if they add anymore depth to it, they would lose anyone not prepared to give enough time to the game...

And, well, it's a touch screen. In an arcade. I don't know how long the machines are going to last.

Also, small talk about an upcoming struggle between Sega and Taito.

ねんがんの 7000をてにいれたぞ!
  そう かんけいないね
=> 殺してでもうばいとる
  ゆずってくれ たのむ!!

Burning Ranger
1285th Post

":(" , posted Sat 3 Sep 14:48post reply

quote:

I'd settle for just a tad less dorky. Jacky isn't a bad character but that "YEEEEAH!" he constantly shrieks out grates on my nerves so badly that I can't stand to play the guy for more than a few rounds at a time. While I like that Akira and Kage are turning into big, fat slabs as the series progresses I agree with Ammadeau that a redesign of the characters probably wouldn't hurt them in the least.

What? And take away the one thing that makes him, well, Jacky? Hell, his win pose in VF1 is just classic!

And in other sad news, no Daytona 3, no Outrun sequel...

Advanced Cyborg E. Branger AKA Burning Ranger

Felicia & Morrigan: no explanation necessary.

CHAZumaru
222th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(3):Touching is good" , posted Sat 3 Sep 20:14post reply

quote:
Lots of details on Psy Phi.

So Valkyrie has a cameo in Druaga Online, nice touch.

NOW IS TIME TO THE 68000 Z80 AND SH-2 HEART ON FIRE !!

NARUTO
3208th Post

"Re(8):Virtua Fighter 5, Afterburner, Virtua T" , posted Sun 4 Sep 04:17post reply

quote:

Well those were close to my thoughts.
When I see the amout of dorks who cries when Iori didn't have a sprite change, I find it more abused on VF5 when Sarah, Kage, or Jefry still have their old suit especially in a 3D game where 2P and 3P suit are so easy to make.

Still I fear that this game will have all of the VF usual bad point, like, no scenario, no ending at all, I don't even talk about CG ending on the home port, and Dural as a boss...
I will not complain on the "only" 2 new characters (3 years ago I would have done so, but since I've learned how as it is to master a VF character and so... 2 new faces in enough.) Still why not bring back takaharashi??? it's stupid to let a characters aside, and I still fear that dural will not be a "full character". I mean I fear that she'll be a simple pupet as aboss and not a character whit scenario and items for her.

Well even whit all those usual VF "bad point" I'm waiting the game like crazy. After all, most of the things I've talked about can be changed or corrected until the game release so...

Tu Fuis Ego eris...

deisied
351th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(9):Virtua Fighter 5, Afterburner, Virtua T" , posted Sun 4 Sep 06:59post reply

Taka-Arashi is probably back. They said the only reason they left him out of 4 was because they wanted to impliment fat-physics so every attack and movement would react realistically to it. They said he would be back by 5 when they had perfected it. So...

Ktallguy
733th Post

"Re(9):Virtua Fighter 5, Afterburner, Virtua T" , posted Sun 4 Sep 08:23post reply

quote:
I find it more abused on VF5 when Sarah, Kage, or Jefry still have their old suit especially in a 3D game where 2P and 3P suit are so easy to make.

That's the great thing about VF4, you could create a costume for your character with the huge selection of items available. I do admit that the old designs are a little boring, but it's easy to customize your character so that it's 'not' boring.

quote:

Still I fear that this game will have all of the VF usual bad point, like, no scenario, no ending at all, I don't even talk about CG ending on the home port,

I do kind of wish there was a scenario too, but at the same time, VF never really was about the story. It's about the game. The characters are really just extensions of the player, which is why the costumes are so important, to make that character 'you'.

quote:
why not bring back takaharashi??

I hope they do too! But I fear that they won't. Vf is a really fast paced game, and although Sumo move very fast, maybe they're not wave dashing around like Jacky. They'll have to do a lot of special things to make him move realistically and believably... I kind of doubt that he's returning... otherwise they probably would have shown it in the demo.

quote:
and I still fear that dural will not be a "full character". I mean I fear that she'll be a simple pupet as aboss and not a character whit scenario and items for her.

Dural is just a boss because there needs to be a boss. If dural was a real character, they'd have to balance her and honestly I think it's not worth the time and effort.

What I'm interested in is what's new with the fighting engine. I really want to see what SEGA has used to innovate the genre...I can't wait!!!

I'm thinking maybe the wrestling character might have throw reversals, or maybe there will be a little more interactivity with the backgrounds, and I'm actually hoping that SEGA can fit both square rings and more interesting, sprawling environments into the new game. That way there's always something to fall back on for tournaments.

"テメエがヤクブソクなんだよ!"

NARUTO
3209th Post

"Re(10):Virtua Fighter 5, Afterburner, Virtua " , posted Sun 4 Sep 18:03post reply

quote:
That's the great thing about VF4, you could create a costume for your character with the huge selection of items available. I do admit that the old designs are a little boring, but it's easy to customize your character so that it's 'not' boring.

The fact that we can customs characters is not an excuse for Sega to no Actualize their characters design. Especially with their Items who cost a lot!
On a different way I hope that now characters will have a different normal stance from each other, and nor "crash dummy" reaction when hited.

quote:

I do kind of wish there was a scenario too, but at the same time, VF never really was about the story. It's about the game. The characters are really just extensions of the player, which is why the costumes are so important, to make that character 'you'.

If on the arcade it doesn't really matters, on home port a scenario would be a bad thing really. And they doesn't need to bring deamons or aliens in it. Buriki one have a reallistic scenario where shen you win you'll have an interview of you character. MAke a small ending show you character having a prize and back to his life would be bad.

quote:
I hope they do too! But I fear that they won't. Vf is a really fast paced game, and although Sumo move very fast, maybe they're not wave dashing around like Jacky. They'll have to do a lot of special things to make him move realistically and believably... I kind of doubt that he's returning... otherwise they probably would have shown it in the demo.

Well where I play the "fast paced" gamplay isn't really right. A lot's of player play in a hit and away style or in a Samurai spirit way where they're waiting for you.
Still I thing that takaharashi have his place in VF, and if he's slow that would bring some new stuff in the game.

quote:
Dural is just a boss because there needs to be a boss. If dural was a real character, they'd have to balance her and honestly I think it's not worth the time and effort.

I disagree, we are in 2005 now, and a character that the player can't use is an usless character. the old rule of the bos is usless nowaday. And waisting some time to balance Dural, and to create items for her (Infact any items from sarah, Aoi, pai & co in a metal style would work.) isn't a waste. it's just more character for the player, so somehow a good thing.
quote:

What I'm interested in is what's new with the fighting engine. I really want to see what SEGA has used to innovate the genre...I can't wait!!!

Here I agree! Deffinitely.
quote:

I'm thinking maybe the wrestling character might have throw reversals, or maybe there will be a little more interactivity with the backgrounds, and I'm actually hoping that SEGA can fit both square rings and more interesting, sprawling environments into the new game. That way there's always something to fall back on for tournaments.

That what I thinking to, Sega should learn to get rid of the usual arena. and bring diversity. like usual closed arena, open arena, unfinite field a la Tekken, and even multiple stage a la DOA. If Namco and Tecmo can do such, Sega can do for sur, and maybe in a better way.

Still as a Goh player I'm curious to see the Evolution in gameplay, and curious to see the new faces as well. But I'm sure that Suzuki is taking care of his game.

Tu Fuis Ego eris...

KTallguy
737th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):Virtua Fighter 5, Afterburner, V" , posted Mon 5 Sep 07:11post reply

quote:

Well where I play the "fast paced" gamplay isn't really right. A lot's of player play in a hit and away style or in a Samurai spirit way where they're waiting for you.
Still I thing that takaharashi have his place in VF, and if he's slow that would bring some new stuff in the game.

You're right, it's just a matter of implementing them.

Where do you play though? I have a feeling the style you guys play is quite different from the style played in Japan. Japan is very much in-your-face, get those combos. Some characters do have the ability to get you from a long distance though...

quote:

Still as a Goh player I'm curious to see the Evolution in gameplay, and curious to see the new faces as well. But I'm sure that Suzuki is taking care of his game.

Suzuki is said to have absolutely no hand in this project. I wonder how that will work ...

"テメエがヤクブソクなんだよ!"

Ammadeau
1425th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):Virtua Fighter 5, Afterburner, V" , posted Mon 5 Sep 11:34post reply

quote:
Suzuki is said to have absolutely no hand in this project. I wonder how that will work ...

I thought he had no hand in VF4 as well, and that seemed to turn out okay.

Ammadeau.net - My own personal waste of time.

NARUTO
3210th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):Virtua Fighter 5, Afterburner, V" , posted Mon 5 Sep 19:30post reply

quote:
You're right, it's just a matter of implementing them.

Where do you play though? I have a feeling the style you guys play is quite different from the style played in Japan. Japan is very much in-your-face, get those combos. Some characters do have the ability to get you from a long distance though...

Well I play in france. And where I play, Lei fei/Pai/Law players rush you, Kage/Vanessa/Brad hits and away, And with Goh, I'm waiting... ^^

quote:

At leats if it's the same team as VF4, I think it'll be OK.

Tu Fuis Ego eris...