Did anyone else get the Sin City DVD? - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (2775 Views )

Undead Fred
2467th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Did anyone else get the Sin City DVD?" , posted Fri 19 Aug 17:01post reply

...and if you did, what the hell??? I had heard over and over that it'd feature the full version of each of the characters' stories... but all there were in the way of features was just a short behind-the-scenes? I noticed it didn't list anything but that on the back of the DVD, but I had asked the guy at the store to make sure there wasn't some collector's edition I was overlooking at the store and he was convinced the DVD had that feature as well.

Anyone know what the hell happened? I mean, there's nothing at all on the DVD. Just the movie and that short behind-the-scenes feature. No commentaries, no full character stories, nothing. Just "interactive menus."

Replies:

crazymike
1155th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member+

"Re(1):Did anyone else get the Sin City DVD?" , posted Fri 19 Aug 17:08post reply

Unfortunately I believe that is all pegged for a "later" special edition DVD.

That is why I never good big movies like this on DVD when they first come out.

HAYATO
468th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(2):Did anyone else get the Sin City DVD?" , posted Fri 19 Aug 23:06post reply

quote:
Unfortunately I believe that is all pegged for a "later" special edition DVD.

That is why I never good big movies like this on DVD when they first come out.

Yeah, I really hate those comercial tricks. They should make both versions available at once, as they already have all the graphic material...

Makondo99
278th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(3):Did anyone else get the Sin City DVD?" , posted Fri 19 Aug 23:17post reply

According to this article, we'll have to wait a bit longer for the good stuff

Ishmael
2159th Post

"Re(4):Did anyone else get the Sin City DVD?" , posted Sat 20 Aug 00:18post reply

Until the all-you-can-eat version of the Sin City movie comes out you can always spend your time watching this.

exodus
2917th Post

"Re(5):Did anyone else get the Sin City DVD?" , posted Sat 20 Aug 01:09post reply

quote:
Until the all-you-can-eat version of the Sin City movie comes out you can always spend your time watching this.

wow, that's out already?

Baines
128th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(1):Did anyone else get the Sin City DVD?" , posted Sat 20 Aug 08:49post reply

quote:
Anyone know what the hell happened? I mean, there's nothing at all on the DVD.

Rodriguez said that he wanted everything on the DVD. Presumably, suits above him chose #2 of the options below:
1) Doing what Rodriguez wanted
2) Making a ton more money following the standard release formula, particularly since they have so much extra material available for future special editions.

Undead Fred
2468th Post

"Re(2):Did anyone else get the Sin City DVD?" , posted Sat 20 Aug 11:33post reply

Ugh. Yeah, I hate this crap. I had no idea whatsoever there would be two different versions... it's like Russian roulette trying to predict these bullshit marketing tricks and save your money.

Especially when all I heard up to the release was the news of those amaaaazing special features which magically disappeared on release day.

Variable Savior
298th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(3):Did anyone else get the Sin City DVD?" , posted Sat 20 Aug 13:33post reply

quote:
I had heard over and over that it'd feature the full version of each of the characters' stories...

Ummm... could you elaborate on this? Did they film additional scenes from the comic that got cut out of the movie?? And if so, are any of them really significant to the story?

Blood marks heaven's path

Undead Fred
2469th Post

"Re(4):Did anyone else get the Sin City DVD?" , posted Sat 20 Aug 16:45post reply

quote:
Ummm... could you elaborate on this? Did they film additional scenes from the comic that got cut out of the movie?? And if so, are any of them really significant to the story?

Yeah, they actually filmed the entire story for each of the characters, but cut some out for time. The easiest example of cut footage that I know of (and the one I kept hearing cited for the full stories) was the sequence where Marv went to his mom's house to pick up Gladys. I was really interested in these full stories, but mostly so I could watch the Hard Goodbye as if it were the primary movie or whatever. Plus, I was sort of hoping the pacing would be slightly more relaxed for the Hard Goodbye with the extra footage... that was my only real complaint about the original movie. The extra footage is sort of along the lines of the extra footage in the special editions of the Lord of the Rings- the movies still worked without them, but fans and people who read the book and so forth will enjoy seeing the parts that were left out.

They were going to include each full-length story as a special feature on the Sin City DVD, but the studio wanted to trick us out of more money first.

Baines
129th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(3):Did anyone else get the Sin City DVD?" , posted Sun 21 Aug 08:45post reply

quote:
Ugh. Yeah, I hate this crap. I had no idea whatsoever there would be two different versions... it's like Russian roulette trying to predict these bullshit marketing tricks and save your money.

What bugs me:
A movie releases an enhanced/collectors edition, then later re-releases with an even more enhanced version. The worst case being Lord of the Rings, filmed for the intention of repeatedly releasing "improved" versions over a 15 year period. (A plan most likely born from looking at what Lucas has managed with Star Wars.)

And:
A movie holds some feature for a potential enhanced release, and then the enhanced release never happens.

Olivier Hague
3th Post

New Customer

"Re(4):Did anyone else get the Sin City DVD?" , posted Sun 21 Aug 09:37:post reply

quote:
What bugs me:
A movie releases an enhanced/collectors edition, then later re-releases with an even more enhanced version. [...] (A plan most likely born from looking at what Lucas has managed with Star Wars.)

What an evil plan.
Damn them for putting a gun to our head and forcing us to buy each and every version of their movies.
Damn them for magically turning our previous versions into fecal matter the very second they start talking about new ones.

Besides, I'm sorry, but if you don't even take the time to read the back of a DVD (if a feature isn't mentioned there, chances are it won't be on the disc) before buying it, maybe you deserve to be "ripped off"?

[this message was edited by Olivier Hague on Sun 21 Aug 10:43]

Undead Fred
2470th Post

"Re(5):Did anyone else get the Sin City DVD?" , posted Sun 21 Aug 14:14post reply

quote:
Damn them for putting a gun to our head and forcing us to buy each and every version of their movies.
Damn them for magically turning our previous versions into fecal matter the very second they start talking about new ones.

Besides, I'm sorry, but if you don't even take the time to read the back of a DVD (if a feature isn't mentioned there, chances are it won't be on the disc) before buying it, maybe you deserve to be "ripped off"?

HAGUED

Well, in my case, I had read the back and thought one of two things- there was either a special edition I needed to get instead, or it was possibly on the DVD as an Easter egg or something. Or the idea was just scrapped. When I asked the guy at the store, he very confidently said that the full character stories were on there before I could even ask about the feature... doesn't mean much, I know, but just goes to show that I wasn't the only one that was confused. And since there wasn't a super special collector's cut edition in the entire store, I just assumed one of those first two thoughts I had was correct and this was the "real" DVD.

Oroch
859th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(6):Did anyone else get the Sin City DVD?" , posted Sun 21 Aug 15:20post reply

quote:

HAGUED

Well, in my case, I had read the back and thought one of two things- there was either a special edition I needed to get instead, or it was possibly on the DVD as an Easter egg or something. Or the idea was just scrapped. When I asked the guy at the store, he very confidently said that the full character stories were on there before I could even ask about the feature... doesn't mean much, I know, but just goes to show that I wasn't the only one that was confused. And since there wasn't a super special collector's cut edition in the entire store, I just assumed one of those first two thoughts I had was correct and this was the "real" DVD.

well you didnt get totally ripped off

you got the collectors cover, which wont be featured on the full dvd set!

Mokona
308th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(7):Did anyone else get the Sin City DVD?" , posted Mon 22 Aug 23:45post reply

I'm still waiting for a proper DVD release for Kill Bill, so I guess I can wait a couple of years for Sin City... I'll catch it on the Movie Network when it's there while waiting...

Blah!

Baines
130th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(5):Did anyone else get the Sin City DVD?" , posted Tue 23 Aug 11:40post reply

quote:
What an evil plan.

It is annoying having to wait 15 years if I actually want the "complete" LotR. Remember that this isn't even a case of missing extras and interviews. They were intentionally filming plenty of extra actual movie footage for those years of planned re-releases.

I finally bought The Fifth Element on DVD right before the special edition re-release was announced, so I've got the version that barely has the movie itself. (The first release of Fifth Element has not only no extras, but doesn't even have some somewhat "standard" features.) I was tempted to get the re-release, but didn't because it wasn't worth an extra $10 or so to get extras that I'd watch once if at all.

I still don't own Kill Bill. I wanted Vol 1, but its release was held until Vol 2 hit theaters. By that point, I figured Vol 2 would either release on DVD in a 2-pack package, or would be followed a few months later by a combined "collector's set." I'm still waiting for the supposed "complete" cut, and still figure some kind of re-release is due anytime now (even if it isn't the complete cut,) so I still haven't bought it.

Olivier Hague
4th Post

New Customer

"Re(6):Did anyone else get the Sin City DVD?" , posted Tue 23 Aug 21:27:post reply

quote:
It is annoying having to wait 15 years if I actually want the "complete" LotR.

Yeah, 'cause right now, it's like watching animated storyboards, huh?
quote:
Remember that this isn't even a case of missing extras and interviews. They were intentionally filming plenty of extra actual movie footage for those years of planned re-releases.

Yeah, sure. You're not familiar with the whole "editing process", are you?
Besides, just because they have "extra movie footage" (that won't make its way back into the actual movies anyway, if Jackson is to be believed), that doesn't mean there's no work left for them (they barely had the time to make the DVD extended versions while they were making the sequels... and Jackson is working on something else right now, remember).
quote:
I finally bought The Fifth Element on DVD

Wait... Why was I talking to you, again?

[this message was edited by Olivier Hague on Tue 23 Aug 23:14]

Iggy
7074th Post

"Re(6):Did anyone else get the Sin City DVD?" , posted Tue 23 Aug 23:41post reply

quote:
It is annoying

Great !
You have the good word !
Now all you have to do is to find the exact meaning of "annoying" and everything will be fine.

ねんがんの 7000をてにいれたぞ!
  そう かんけいないね
=> 殺してでもうばいとる
  ゆずってくれ たのむ!!

Baines
131th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(7):Did anyone else get the Sin City DVD?" , posted Wed 24 Aug 07:16post reply

quote:
Yeah, sure. You're not familiar with the whole "editing process", are you?
Besides, just because they have "extra movie footage" (that won't make its way back into the actual movies anyway, if Jackson is to be believed), that doesn't mean there's no work left for them (they barely had the time to make the DVD extended versions while they were making the sequels... and Jackson is working on something else right now, remember).

I am familiar with the editing process. The 15 year plan and amount of extra footage has been mentioned by different people involved with LotR.

quote:
Wait... Why was I talking to you, again?

I do not know, as you are the one that chose to start talking.

Particularly as I was simply stating what I found to be an annoyance in DVD marketing, and you chose to sarcastically say things that were already quite evident before your post and that didn't actually address the annoyance factor mentioned. Then turned towards insulting instead. So, uhm, draw your own conclusion?

Iggy
7077th Post

"Re(8):Did anyone else get the Sin City DVD?" , posted Wed 24 Aug 07:59post reply

quote:
what I found to be an annoyance in DVD marketing

I remember the time of the VHS.
There was no annoying bonus.
And I never thought about complaining about it.

Also, I never bought any.

ねんがんの 7000をてにいれたぞ!
  そう かんけいないね
=> 殺してでもうばいとる
  ゆずってくれ たのむ!!

Dr Baghead
3507th Post

"Re(3):Did anyone else get the Sin City DVD?" , posted Wed 24 Aug 14:23post reply

quote:

Especially when all I heard up to the release was the news of those amaaaazing special features which magically disappeared on release day.

I had actually heard at a few sites back in June there would be a bare bones SinCity release in addition to the uber-fancy one...

I'll admit though, even knowing that I was confused when the movies shipped since the release schedule was not made clear back then, I didn't know if the releases where 4 barebones editions with different covers, or 1 barebones edition with the "everybody" cover and each of the story specific covers was the full chapter only.

Although what bothers me about DVD movies isn't big movies getting double dipped... it's old movies being revisited later with "Super Special Editions" that are totally without warning, like you finally decide "Well, no one loves Mallrats I don't think a 'special edition' will ever come out so, I guess I'll buy it..." then Kevin Smith is all like FUCK YOU!! and releases "Mallrats X" (replace Mallrats with whatever older movie you spent $20 on to get what's basically a DVD copy of a lazerdisc rerelease and then have studios suddenly drop an "aniversy" or 'tie-in-with-releated-somehow-related-movie' editions)

Blanka and Dan make for a most excellent tag image (yeah still not funny)

shin ramberk
168th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(1):Did anyone else get the Sin City DVD?" , posted Wed 24 Aug 15:19post reply

Its a stupid game. Just don't play their game. Only buy one version and stick with it. Either wait it out x amount of time for the super special edition or just stick to the regular version.

I don't buy that many DVDs but I knew what was going to happen with LOTR so I waited. Even now, I know that the 'regular' LOTR DVDs have features missing from the "Extended" LOTR DVDs. But oh well. I am tired of this stupid game the studios play.

Just borrow a friend's copy whenever you feel like watching the movie. Its a damn stupid game. I hope in the long run that consumers wise up and the studios lose money but we'll see. Consumers are the stupidest people on the planet- bar none.

http://ramberk.blogspot.com

Pollyanna
1331th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(2):Did anyone else get the Sin City DVD?" , posted Wed 24 Aug 15:47post reply

quote:
Consumers are the stupidest people on the planet- bar none.

Yeah, it's the thieves, pirates and farmers that live off the land that know what they're doing.

Baines
132th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(9):Did anyone else get the Sin City DVD?" , posted Wed 24 Aug 16:27post reply

quote:
I remember the time of the VHS.
There was no annoying bonus.
And I never thought about complaining about it.

Also, I never bought any.

Of course not, they were like $100 a tape, so you just rented and copied them.

Oh, you don't mean the early VHS, do you?

Olivier Hague
4th Post

New Customer

"Re(8):Did anyone else get the Sin City DVD?" , posted Wed 24 Aug 17:16post reply

quote:
you chose to sarcastically say things that were already quite evident before your post

They were, weren't they? And yet...
quote:
and that didn't actually address the annoyance factor mentioned.

Oh, sorry about that.
Stop being stupid, and you won't be annoyed anymore.

shin ramberk
169th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(3):Did anyone else get the Sin City DVD?" , posted Wed 24 Aug 18:32post reply

quote:
Consumers are the stupidest people on the planet- bar none.

Yeah, it's the thieves, pirates and farmers that live off the land that know what they're doing.

I think you misunderstood me, so I won't take offense to your statement. What I meant is 'blind consumerism' is the stupidest form of living. When you live in a society that seems to be in a perpetual state of "what should I buy next" ecstasy, that's what I find stupid. This is exactly why consumers get screwed or toyed with by corporations- because often times we blindly buy s--t without thinking.

I hate pirates and thieves. I think pirates and thieves are actually worse then 'consumer whores' because they crave this s--t the most but treat it as worthless by pirating it. If its so great, why treat it like its worth nothing and getting it for free.

But enough of that rant. I don't think we should pick on the original poster of this thread too much. But everyone should know by the now the DVD game. If your willing to buy two or more different DVD sets for the same movie, good for you. Just don't complain too much when you a special edition comes out later. We knew it was going to happen.

http://ramberk.blogspot.com

Iggy
7078th Post

"Re(10):Did anyone else get the Sin City DVD?" , posted Wed 24 Aug 18:37post reply

quote:
Of course not, they were like $100 a tape, so you just rented and copied them.
Oh, you don't mean the early VHS, do you?

What ? No, I mean the format that was the most common before the DVD replaced it. You don't called that VHS ? That was certainly not $100 around here.
And yeah, that was copy friendly, but well, so are DVDs now.

ねんがんの 7000をてにいれたぞ!
  そう かんけいないね
=> 殺してでもうばいとる
  ゆずってくれ たのむ!!

Pollyanna
1332th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(4):Did anyone else get the Sin City DVD?" , posted Wed 24 Aug 18:52post reply

quote:

I think you misunderstood me, so I won't take offense to your statement. What I meant is 'blind consumerism' is the stupidest form of living.

I didn't misunderstand you, I was just making fun of what you said, so maybe you should be offended (if you're the easily offended type). At any rate, I agree (especially when people work themselves into debt), but I still want to know how you feel about farmers.

Iggy brought up an interesting point, though. This is "If you give a mouse a cookie" syndrome. When people had nothing, they wanted nothing. Or rather, they just wanted the movie they got. Now, people should know the game and ask themselves "is it worth it?" If you like the movie enough to buy it twice, then buy it twice...if you don't, then don't buy it and let the movie companies know that their plan isn't working.

I don't like it when people say "Now I HAVE to buy this or that". The collector's edition is aimed at people who are probably into something enough to buy it as many times as they "have" to. You're not buying the movie anymore, you're buying the extras...and if you're a "collector" then no price is too high.

I'm guilty of this, too. Though I can only think of one or two instances when I've bought the same product twice. I still think "what am I going to buy next", it's just that I make it a habit to save three times as much money as I spend.

I don't even know what I'm saying. I was supposed to go to bed "early" tonight, too.

Nickey
18th Post

New Customer

"Re(5):Did anyone else get the Sin City DVD?" , posted Wed 24 Aug 22:36post reply

"If you give a mouse a cookie" Is a great book.

Undead Fred
2473th Post

"Re(4):Did anyone else get the Sin City DVD?" , posted Thu 25 Aug 12:12:post reply

quote:
Although what bothers me about DVD movies isn't big movies getting double dipped... it's old movies being revisited later with "Super Special Editions" that are totally without warning, like you finally decide "Well, no one loves Mallrats I don't think a 'special edition' will ever come out so, I guess I'll buy it..." then Kevin Smith is all like FUCK YOU!! and releases "Mallrats X" (replace Mallrats with whatever older movie you spent $20 on to get what's basically a DVD copy of a lazerdisc rerelease and then have studios suddenly drop an "aniversy" or 'tie-in-with-releated-somehow-related-movie' editions)

Ha ha ha, yeah... with me, it was "Okay, I think I'll finally buy Usual Suspects..." then not one month later, the super platinum anniversary edition or whatever it was called came out.

quote:
But enough of that rant. I don't think we should pick on the original poster of this thread too much. But everyone should know by the now the DVD game. If your willing to buy two or more different DVD sets for the same movie, good for you. Just don't complain too much when you a special edition comes out later. We knew it was going to happen.
That's what I keep trying to get across- I didn't know it would happen. Sin City wasn't as big as LOTR or OMG STAR WARZ, and since I had heard nothing of the bare bones version (hey, four separate collector's covers seemed fairly "special edition"-like to me), I was confused and bought the wrong one. I hadn't closely followed the Sin City release, since I had only heard of one version coming out and didn't expect a million different variations on the same disc to be coming out. I've normally gotten the right version of a DVD I want, and since I usually see a bare bones and special edition sitting on the shelf so I can choose which one I want. This wasn't the case this time.

[this message was edited by Undead Fred on Thu 25 Aug 12:31]

Mokona
315th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(1):Did anyone else get the Sin City DVD?" , posted Tue 13 Sep 00:44post reply

BUMP!

http://www.joblo.com/index.php?id=8561

Thought you might be interested.

I'm definitely getting this!

Blah!