(Yet another) new CVs thread - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (2672 Views )

Sensenic
1338th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Red Carpet Executive Member

"(Yet another) new CVs thread" , posted Thu 18 Aug 21:15post reply

First of all, the ugly: New pics for CoD, with nice-looking monsters but still plain backgrounds... and a delay: it ain't comin' out till 2006, Konami of Europe sez (I don't know if they're refering to the European version or in general, tho').

And now the love... I'm just so eager to play this... -ghaaah-
Castlevania DS:

Two scans from Famitsu and an in-game music sample (which I haven't heard because I'm at work right now) here.
Note: Don't look at the second scan if you don't want to spoil yourselves about the alternate playable character... You be warned.

Now, comments:
- The city setting looks cool as hell. I guess it'll be the prelude to the main thing, as Richter's fight was in SotN. True, it's just a copy-paste of a city picture into the background, but, I don't know, it's so original to this saga...

- Yoko accompanies Soma at some points! Will she have an active role? Will you have to protect her?

- The stages look really rich! It seems it won't be just a castle this time, but the surroundings too, just like CoD, but in 2D (and in beautiful). The snowy town looks particularly nice to me.

- Big variety of enemies, as expected, but too many sprite re-use from SotN, IMO. Even enemies that were redone for Aria are back with their Symphony look here. Lazy bums... ^_^

-

Spoiler (Highlight to view) -
Now that 3-character mode looks nice. Julius's back but this time he comes with Yoko! Yay! And, for the nostalgics, good ol' Al is the 3rd one...

End of Spoiler

I can't wait till the 5th. I just can't.

Za Peepaa Yomiko chan! -Nyoooon-

My philosophy professor was a flan Myself

Replies:

Radish
2985th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(1):(Yet another) new CVs thread" , posted Thu 18 Aug 21:55post reply

Soon it will be worth getting a DS once all the really cool games like this are released. I was originally skeptical of this one (since the character art is so terrible) but the actual game looks so great I will have to get it.

Abster
173th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(2):(Yet another) new CVs thread" , posted Fri 19 Aug 00:21post reply

quote:
Soon it will be worth getting a DS once all the really cool games like this are released. I was originally skeptical of this one (since the character art is so terrible) but the actual game looks so great I will have to get it.

Holy shit! SOTN based Alucard! I thought Mina was the third one. lol. Makes me want to get this game even more now.

Bring the blood back to Samurai Spirits!

Mog
388th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(3):(Yet another) new CVs thread" , posted Fri 19 Aug 01:30post reply

quote:

I thought Mina was the third one. lol. Makes me want to get this game even more now.

It's a shame they didn't give him a new sprite. Having him fight in a business suit would have been slick.

IkariDC
386th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(4):(Yet another) new CVs thread" , posted Fri 19 Aug 04:27post reply

quote:

It's a shame they didn't give him a new sprite. Having him fight in a business suit would have been slick.

Yeah, it doesn't make sense he's fighting in his SotN outfit, when every piece of art we've seen so far it's like in Aria of Sorrow.

Have you guys seen the new Curse of Darkness trailer? It's quite good, at least the cutscenes and the dialogs. It doesn't clear up if the game still has the same issues that lament had.

Sensenic
1342th Post

"Re(4):(Yet another) new CVs thread" , posted Fri 19 Aug 04:28:post reply

quote:

I thought Mina was the third one. lol. Makes me want to get this game even more now.

Indeed. They're too lazy.

There's also a Hands On and some more screens with J and Yoko in them at gamespot:
Link here

EDIT: Note that J's sprite is new too, no re-hash here... Why? Did they dislike Aria's sprite-work so much? I thought it was very good (in general) personally... Strange.

[this message was edited by Sensenic on Fri 19 Aug 05:15]

Sensenic
1342th Post

"Re(5):(Yet another) new CVs thread" , posted Fri 19 Aug 05:21post reply

quote:

Yeah, it doesn't make sense he's fighting in his SotN outfit, when every piece of art we've seen so far it's like in Aria of Sorrow.

Agree: See previous post. ^_^
quote:

Have you guys seen the new Curse of Darkness trailer? It's quite good, at least the cutscenes and the dialogs. It doesn't clear up if the game still has the same issues that lament had.

Uh-huh (unless you're refering to a newer one?). The fights between the main characters are cool, and the fight versus Ralph C/Trevor Belmont is confirmed. Neat.

But still... I find it uglier than DoS.

PS: Cool DoS wallpaper, for a change in artwork.

Abster
175th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(5):(Yet another) new CVs thread" , posted Fri 19 Aug 05:41:post reply

Well, it was redone to fit the bigger DS resolution. A lot of the SOTN enemies fit just fine with the new style in this game, and that's why their old SOTN sprites were ported. A lot of enemies and such were redrawn for the GBA games because the screen was smaller.

I wonder what Alucard will still have from SOTN in this one? How will he be toned down?

EDIT: In other news, SOTN Alucard's not the only cameo in this game. Check out the bat formation in this screenshot for another familiar face, this one for Gradius fans.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v311/Abster316/moaidos.jpg [Image Attached]

Bring the blood back to Samurai Spirits!

[this message was edited by Abster on Fri 19 Aug 08:29]

HAYATO
464th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(6):(Yet another) new CVs thread" , posted Fri 19 Aug 16:30post reply

This game looks even more promising than before...God knows how many secrets and surprises await us till its final release...

crazymike
1154th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member+

"Re(7):(Yet another) new CVs thread" , posted Fri 19 Aug 17:03post reply

I may have to shell out the cash for a DS just for this game alone...

IkariDC
387th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(6):(Yet another) new CVs thread" , posted Fri 19 Aug 18:26post reply

quote:

Uh-huh (unless you're refering to a newer one?). The fights between the main characters are cool, and the fight versus Ralph C/Trevor Belmont is confirmed. Neat.

But still... I find it uglier than DoS.

PS: Cool DoS wallpaper, for a change in artwork.

Yes, that one, I guess I had to say latest video. Uglier than DoS? You know, I can't compare both games just like that, they're completly different, but I can say that I'm more interested in DoS (my DS may arrive today!).

Yeah cool wallpaper, from the artist behind the art of OZ. It would have been kind of cool if he did all the artwork, but I understand the reasons why they choose this generic anime look.

HAYATO
467th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(7):(Yet another) new CVs thread" , posted Fri 19 Aug 22:56post reply

quote:
... but I can say that I'm more interested in DoS (my DS may arrive today!).

Well, then I assume you'll keep us informed about the game's features as soon as you get it...

emagius
0th Post

New Customer

"Re(7):(Yet another) new CVs thread" , posted Fri 19 Aug 23:19post reply

quote:
This game looks even more promising than before...God knows how many secrets and surprises await us till its final release...

Indeed -- this may very well be Iga's first good CV, if it's not mind-numbingly easy. I'm probably being too optimistic, though.

IkariDC
391th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(8):(Yet another) new CVs thread" , posted Fri 19 Aug 23:22post reply

quote:

Well, then I assume you'll keep us informed about the game's features as soon as you get it...

I'll get the game when it is released in Spain, when that time arrives, you'll probably know every detail, and the whereabouts of the 3 endings, if you want to.

Sensenic
1343th Post

"Re(9):(Yet another) new CVs thread" , posted Sun 21 Aug 19:35post reply

quote:
Well, it was redone to fit the bigger DS resolution. A lot of the SOTN enemies fit just fine with the new style in this game, and that's why their old SOTN sprites were ported. A lot of enemies and such were redrawn for the GBA games because the screen was smaller.

Aha. But Harmony did have SOTN's sprites, probably toned down. So, why couldn't they retouch Aria's? I say laziness.
But anyway this's just a minor issue, a question of personal taste, I just happen to dislike some of those designs (such as that purple spear enemy).
quote:
Uglier than DoS? You know, I can't compare both games just like that, they're completly different(...).

Well, that was a rushed (and... uh.. written-while-hyped-up) comment. I mean that I still find those backgrounds too empty, too plain.But yeah, I know they're different and that there's still some time left for CoD to change. Whatever.
quote:

I'll get the game when it is released in Spain, when that time arrives, you'll probably know every detail, and the whereabouts of the 3 endings, if you want to.

Me too, that's what I got a DS for (mainly ^_^;). I just can't wait till the 5th, dammit! But I'm more slow paced with games than that... I see I'll have to avoid your posts Ikari ^_^

Anyway, about features... I just read (at vandal) that this game might include a multiplayer feature that'd go like this --> you design a map portion, put the enemies in it and stuff... someone else (whether with the game or not is unknown) downloads it, then you both play it at the same time (altho' you won't see the other player's chara). The one to kill all the monsters and get to the goal first wins. Curious...

And more pics (such as the game select screen) and an interview with Iga at Meristation (In Spanish, mind you ^_^).

aderack
149th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(10):(Yet another) new CVs thread" , posted Mon 22 Aug 06:09:post reply

quote:
Aha. But Harmony did have SOTN's sprites, probably toned down. So, why couldn't they retouch Aria's? I say laziness.

Since it's clearly lazier to draw a completely new sprite than to touch up an old one.

[this message was edited by aderack on Mon 22 Aug 06:10]

Time Mage
2228th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(10):(Yet another) new CVs thread" , posted Mon 22 Aug 17:03post reply

quote:
And more pics (such as the game select screen) and an interview with Iga at Meristation (In Spanish, mind you ^_^).

For those interested, that interview can also be found in the Nintendo Europe website, in English.

HAYATO
469th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(9):(Yet another) new CVs thread" , posted Mon 22 Aug 18:28post reply

quote:

Hehee... not if I get a decent DS emu first, in that case, I'll be the one to ask for, so beware!!(remember my "Aria of Sorrow" spoilers... )

Sensenic
1347th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):(Yet another) new CVs thread" , posted Tue 23 Aug 01:19post reply

quote:

Since it's clearly lazier to draw a completely new sprite than to touch up an old one.

¿? No. What's lazier is to copy-paste SOTN's sprites than improving Aria's...

I haven't said anything against the new sprites. So far, they look awesome.

Sensenic
1350th Post

"2 videos" , posted Wed 24 Aug 03:12post reply

First (It's the upper one, BTW)

Awesomeness (Unfortunately mov, tho')