Original message (3656 Views )

Spoon
1190th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Red Carpet Premium Member+

"KYSG's insane new Elena combo video" , posted Wed 10 Aug 06:10post reply

This guy...

Shall we dance?

KYSG continues to rewrite the book on flashy 3S combos, especially with characters that you'd never believe were capable of stuff like that.

Replies:

Nate
661th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(1):KYSG's insane new Elena combo video" , posted Wed 10 Aug 06:25post reply

quote:
This guy...

Shall we dance?

KYSG continues to rewrite the book on flashy 3S combos, especially with characters that you'd never believe were capable of stuff like that.

Oh how this makes me wish I had a copy of the game so I could try some of this lovely Elena stuff out.

ワンダフル! ビューティフル! エキサイティング!

exodus
2894th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(1):KYSG's insane new Elena combo video" , posted Wed 10 Aug 08:01post reply

got another link? this one seems dead.

Radish
2981th Post

"Re(2):KYSG's insane new Elena combo video" , posted Wed 10 Aug 08:08post reply

Hmm try it again. Seems to be working fine now.

Burning Ranger
1265th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(1):KYSG's insane new Elena combo video" , posted Wed 10 Aug 09:01post reply

It's a good video featuring my favorite SF3 character (AKA the 'King (KOF/AOF)' of SF). While the combos look nice, I tend to have a distrust of these videos unless there's a practical way of using them in real games. Plus, I hear this KYSG guy uses a programmable stick.

Advanced Cyborg E. Branger AKA Burning Ranger

Felicia & Morrigan: no explanation necessary.

JJWE
516th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(2):KYSG's insane new Elena combo video" , posted Wed 10 Aug 10:21post reply

It seems it just doesn't like hotlinking.
Copy the URL displayed on the error page and paste it into the address bar with the page still up, and it should work. Does for me.

--- http://ngmc.retrogames.com

Spoon
1192th Post

"Re(2):KYSG's insane new Elena combo video" , posted Wed 10 Aug 10:46post reply

quote:
It's a good video featuring my favorite SF3 character (AKA the 'King (KOF/AOF)' of SF). While the combos look nice, I tend to have a distrust of these videos unless there's a practical way of using them in real games. Plus, I hear this KYSG guy uses a programmable stick.

Argh.
Again with these arguments.
I'm going to count to 10.

Ok, done.

quote:

While the combos look nice, I tend to have a distrust of these videos unless there's a practical way of using them in real games.

They're not meant to be practical in any way, shape, or form. If they come off as practical, it's incidental to the setup. Why should we restrict ourselves to that which is practical for an exhibition? Besides, I think "distrust" is the totally wrong word for this. I think the word you're looking for is along the lines of "dislike" or "disrespect".

quote:
Plus, I hear this KYSG guy uses a programmable stick.

He says so up front at the end of practically every video he makes. So what? These are combo exhibitions. Are we going to complain when it gets shown to us that it isn't being performed live, and is instead the canned result of maybe dozens of failed attempts?

Seriously, this is an "infinite monkeys with infinite typewriters" argument. So what if you have this tool? It in no way guarantees that you will develop even one fragment of one of these combos within a finite period of time. KYSG is making stuff the likes of which no one has seen before, and I think programmable controllers have been around for a pretty darn long time.

Combo execution means nothing if the combo is not there to be executed.

Evenor
226th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(3):KYSG's insane new Elena combo video" , posted Wed 10 Aug 10:50post reply

Has KYSG done any other vids for SF3
characters?

Perhaps (the almighty) Oro?

肝臓入りのオレンジジュース!
腎臓混じりの甘口カレー!
膵臓仕込みのペスカトーレ!
愛しの愛しのサイコホラー

Mog
387th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(1):KYSG's insane new Elena combo video" , posted Wed 10 Aug 11:32post reply

quote:

I really don’t know that much about 3rd Strike combo exhibitions, but how does he compare to Tosaka? http://www6.plala.or.jp/tosaka/

I would download it to see for myself, but 50MB on a 33.6 is a tall order.

KTallguy
720th Post

"Re(1):KYSG's insane new Elena combo video" , posted Wed 10 Aug 11:54post reply

dead for me too ... =(

Proud Supporter of Next Generation GAMEPLAY
"テメエがヤクブソクなんだよ!"

Spoon
1193th Post

"Re(2):KYSG's insane new Elena combo video" , posted Wed 10 Aug 12:10post reply

quote:
dead for me too ... =(

can also be found at www.combovideos.com

quote:
tosaka

also a very good combo video.
KYSG compares very well, in some cases, totally superior to the tosaka video though....

quote:
KYSG's other videos

... which brings me to this.
His first video featured, get this, Q and 12. A combo video. Q. 12. No system direction.
It was (and still is) amazing. His Q and 12 stuff totally blow away the comparatively simple (admittedly just one each for the two) combos for Q and 12 shown in tosaka's vid.

So far he has done Q, 12, Alex, Chun, Ken, Akuma, and now Elena. His site usually stops hosting big files in short order, but you can get pretty much all of them from places like combovideos.com.

Burning Ranger
1266th Post

"Re(3):KYSG's insane new Elena combo video" , posted Wed 10 Aug 12:29post reply

quote:

Argh.
Again with these arguments.
I'm going to count to 10.

Ooh, touchy aren't we?

It's just my opinion that unless it's practical, people shouldn't do it. Otherwise, we're just mystified by flashy mediocrity (see Marvel vs Capcom 2). So what if the combos are possible in the game? It doesn't mean shit unless you can use it in a competitive setting.

But at least it looks nice, right?

Spoon
1194th Post

"Re(4):KYSG's insane new Elena combo video" , posted Wed 10 Aug 15:02post reply

quote:

Ooh, touchy aren't we?

It's just my opinion

Good that that's clear.
Since it is just an opinion (which can be invalid and otherwise incorrect), I ought to just ignore you. But, in the fashion of the internet, it is necessary to refute what you already state as (possibly invalid or otherwise incorrect) opinion.

quote:

that unless it's practical, people shouldn't do it.

...hmm.
There's a lot of responses which I could write here.
I think I'll just leave it at, "art is not necessarily practical". Iggy could probably give you a much funnier, much gayer response.

quote:

Otherwise, we're just mystified by flashy mediocrity (see Marvel vs Capcom 2).

Now this is simply invalid, and I'll ignore the MvC2 comment. If all you had to do was ram buttons randomly and you'd get results like this, fine. The fact is, you CANNOT just come up with this stuff randomly... unless you have a near-infinite amount of time. "Mediocrity" is the completely wrong word to attach to a product of enormous knowledge, experimentation, and creativity.

quote:

So what if the combos are possible in the game? It doesn't mean shit unless you can use it in a competitive setting.

It's called taking the game to the limit... a concept which somehow seems alien to you in spite of your iron adherence to "competition worthy".

Besides, there's a lot more to fighting games than just trying to be "practical for competition". Do you somehow not enjoy the experience of discovery, or the creation of something novel? There are a lot of things that were discovered and then made "practical". Some things that are discovered are not "practical"; that doesn't mean that they aren't and can't be fun. Have you never gone and said, "hey, did you know you could do THIS?", and proceeded to wow someone?

Pollyanna
1301th Post

"Re(5):KYSG's insane new Elena combo video" , posted Wed 10 Aug 16:23post reply

I don't see anything wrong with "art for art's sake" even in the context of video games...or rather, ESPECIALLY in the context of video games. Is playing for points better than playing for time? Does doing a certain type of combo "validate" you as a player more than another?

I would say "if theg ame lets you do it, then you should have fun with it, and no form of fun is any better than another", but, I'm quick to say that infinites are "invalid", so I have a double standard.

Iggy
7005th Post

"Re(4):KYSG's insane new Elena combo video" , posted Wed 10 Aug 17:57post reply

I hate it when the world "art" is being used as an excuse everytime someone wants to defend something he likes.
Please, people, there are other words, which have as much positive value as art.
Like, I don't know... Fun.
"Someone is having fun doing this, and people are having fun watching this."
Or Goose.
"Elena reminds me of a goose, and it makes me laugh to watch her goosing around".
Try it. Leave the word "art" to people who know what it means.
quote:
It doesn't mean shit unless you can use it in a competitive setting.

Exactly.
Also, putting more characters in a game doesn't mean shit if you can't use them in a competitive setting. Sean, Q, Twelve ? 3rd should only have Chunli, Yun and Ken.
Also, KOFs should only have Iori, Kyô and whoever is broken that year. This would allow the developpers to spend more time on flashy backgrounds and music, things that are so much more important than variety.

Remind me, how high did you rank at the last Tôgeki ?

ねんがんの 7000をてにいれたぞ!
  そう かんけいないね
=> 殺してでもうばいとる
  ゆずってくれ たのむ!!

Time Mage
2225th Post

"Re(1):KYSG's insane new Elena combo video" , posted Wed 10 Aug 18:44post reply

Wow, impressive. Whoever says this lacks merit or interest for being unpractical or made with a programable stick... This needs an amazing amount of knowledge about the game, plus a lot of imagination and experimentation.

Besides, it looks GREAT.

Spoon
1195th Post

"Re(5):KYSG's insane new Elena combo video" , posted Wed 10 Aug 18:45post reply

quote:
I hate it when the world "art" is being used as an excuse everytime someone wants to defend something he likes.
Please, people, there are other words, which have as much positive value as art.

quote:

Or Goose.
"Elena reminds me of a goose, and it makes me laugh to watch her goosing around".

nada on "goose", because i've been around persians who love the word "gooz", and may accidentally interpret "goose" as "gooz".

quote:

Nope, sorry, no can do.
We and all the people we believe we represent refuse to stop abusing the word "art". It's the get-out-of-jail-free card of all time, and so long as we can keep it misunderstood, we will.

quote:

Exactly.
Also, putting more characters in a game doesn't mean shit if you can't use them in a competitive setting. Sean, Q, Twelve ? 3rd should only have Chunli, Yun and Ken.

No no, this is incorrect.
As the last SBO has demonstrated, the game should consist of Q and Hugo, with any other characters as assists.

quote:

This would allow the developpers to spend more time on flashy backgrounds and music, things that are so much more important than variety.

It is impossible to determine whether or not this is sarcasm, coming from Iggy.

quote:

To invoke the vernacular of those darned kids, OHHH SNAP

Spoon
1196th Post

"Re(5):KYSG's insane new Elena combo video" , posted Wed 10 Aug 18:46post reply

quote:

quote:

Or Goose.

nada on "goose", because i've been around persians who love the word "gooz", and may accidentally interpret "goose" as "gooz".

quote:

Nope, sorry, no can do.
We and all the people we believe we represent refuse to stop abusing the word "art". It's the get-out-of-jail-free card of all time, and so long as we can keep it misunderstood, we will.

quote:

Exactly.

As the last SBO has demonstrated, the game should consist of Q and Hugo, with any other characters as assists.

quote:

This would allow the developpers to spend more time on flashy backgrounds and music, things that are so much more important than variety.

quote:

Invoking the vernacular of those darned kids, OHHH SNAP

Spoon
1197th Post

"Re(5):KYSG's insane new Elena combo video" , posted Wed 10 Aug 18:46post reply

quote:

Or Goose.

quote:

Nope, sorry, no can do.

quote:

Exactly.

quote:

quote:

Pollyanna
1303th Post

"Re(6):KYSG's insane new Elena combo video" , posted Wed 10 Aug 18:49:post reply

Spoon, you may be clever, but you're not triple clever.
And with such a BIG post, too. You're really throwing your weight around.

[this message was edited by Pollyanna on Wed 10 Aug 18:49]

Radish
2982th Post

"Re(7):KYSG's insane new Elena combo video" , posted Wed 10 Aug 21:01post reply

Not sure why people care if the combos are "practical" or not. I can make practical combos myself; these are just to show off something cool that's potentially possible within the game.

Eitherway this video motivated me to break out my dreamcast and renew my hatred for the horrible Sega controller.

Joe Randel
431th Post

Gold Customer

"Re:KYSG's insane new Elena combo video" , posted Wed 10 Aug 22:36post reply

I've seen combo video's like this before with most of the characters from 3S and no matter how much I play I've never even come close to doing this stuff. I can juggle for a few hit and then it just stops. Even if the next hit should connect the computer treats it as a miss like I've reached my juggle limit.

Is there a setting I should turn on or am I missing a big secret?

"I can't take any more illicit drugs... I can't afford any artificial joy" - Pursuit of Happiness

Pollyanna
1303th Post

"Re(1):Re:KYSG's insane new Elena combo video" , posted Wed 10 Aug 23:51post reply

quote:
I've seen combo video's like this before with most of the characters from 3S and no matter how much I play I've never even come close to doing this stuff. I can juggle for a few hit and then it just stops. Even if the next hit should connect the computer treats it as a miss like I've reached my juggle limit.

Is there a setting I should turn on or am I missing a big secret?

Neither. It's just...really...really...impractically difficult. I learned this lesson myself not too long ago.

shin ramberk
162th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(2):Re:KYSG's insane new Elena combo video" , posted Thu 11 Aug 00:39post reply

Still fun to watch. Natch. Lets argue about something else.

Go buy the new Warlock series by Marvel. It is good support this title!

Burning Ranger
1268th Post

"Re(5):KYSG's insane new Elena combo video" , posted Thu 11 Aug 01:09:post reply

quote:

It's called taking the game to the limit... a concept which somehow seems alien to you in spite of your iron adherence to "competition worthy".

No, it's not alien to me. Show me a match video where these combos are used and I'll give it more respect. But right now, while the combos look cool, I give it less respect because they were pulled off in practice setting and the person didn't use a default joystick controller (i.e. NO PROGRAMMABLE STICK).

quote:

Besides, there's a lot more to fighting games than just trying to be "practical for competition". Do you somehow not enjoy the experience of discovery, or the creation of something novel? There are a lot of things that were discovered and then made "practical". Some things that are discovered are not "practical"; that doesn't mean that they aren't and can't be fun. Have you never gone and said, "hey, did you know you could do THIS?", and proceeded to wow someone?

I didn't think that I was bashing doing things for fun. By all means, if it's fun, do it. Sure, the combo video was enlightening, and dare I say it, fun. To answer your question, I've shown some aspects of a game to someone and wowed them, but then I get this question afterwards: "Cool, but how can you use that in the game?" If you can't give an answer, then what's the real point?

Now we know where you stand and where I stand. Let's kill the discussion!

[this message was edited by Burning Ranger on Thu 11 Aug 01:12]

Spoon
1198th Post

"Re(6):KYSG's insane new Elena combo video" , posted Thu 11 Aug 03:50post reply

Ok, a real question.

I don't think I've ever seen a thread locked except by the Professor.
Does this forum have thread locking/deleting/etc?

Time Mage
2226th Post

"Re(7):KYSG's insane new Elena combo video" , posted Thu 11 Aug 04:24post reply

quote:
Ok, a real question.

If you edit one of your posts, you have the option to delete it, and all the replies to that one. If it's the first post, you delete the thread.

sabo10
1199th Post

"Re(6):KYSG's insane new Elena combo video" , posted Thu 11 Aug 05:32:post reply

quote:

No, it's not alien to me. Show me a match video where these combos are used and I'll give it more respect.

Not a 100%, but almost:

http://www.putfile.com/media.php?n=3SOwned

Now I don't know a lot about 3s, but to me, this just looks like:

- a tick into a command grab which sets up the victim (i really hate these)

- followed by normal punch canceled into a super (which does 100% stun!?)

- which is then followed up by a standard jump in, ground normal, and special

which basically wins the match.

Either Makoto or Gouki or the whole game is really broken.

[this message was edited by sabo10 on Thu 11 Aug 05:39]

shin ramberk
163th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(7):KYSG's insane new Elena combo video" , posted Thu 11 Aug 06:06post reply

quote:

No, it's not alien to me. Show me a match video where these combos are used and I'll give it more respect.

Not a 100%, but almost:

http://www.putfile.com/media.php?n=3SOwned

Now I don't know a lot about 3s, but to me, this just looks like:

- a tick into a command grab which sets up the victim (i really hate these)

- followed by normal punch canceled into a super (which does 100% stun!?)

- which is then followed up by a standard jump in, ground normal, and special

which basically wins the match.

Either Makoto or Gouki or the whole game is really broken.

Which character does the combo you just described? And on who? I'm sure most of you all know that Makoto has a 100% combo on Remy and Gouki. I'm not sure that equates to a broken game (Chunli,Yun,Ken are broken).

Go buy the new Warlock series by Marvel. It is good support this title!

Juan
4212th Post

"Re(7):it puts the lotion in the basket" , posted Thu 11 Aug 06:08:post reply

Relax.

NO, DONT RELAX! LOCK LOCK LOCK DELETE DELETE DELETE

quote:
Ok, a real question.

[this message was edited by Juan on Thu 11 Aug 06:26]

Iggy
7007th Post

"Re(6):KYSG's insane new Elena combo video" , posted Thu 11 Aug 07:14post reply

quote:

You're right. One character less.
Two is already plenty of variety.

quote:

It's impossible to me as well.

quote:

Tôgeki = SBO.

x3

ねんがんの 7000をてにいれたぞ!
  そう かんけいないね
=> 殺してでもうばいとる
  ゆずってくれ たのむ!!

burning kyo
2349th Post

"Re(8):KYSG's insane new Elena combo video" , posted Thu 11 Aug 08:12post reply

quote:

Which character does the combo you just described? And on who? I'm sure most of you all know that Makoto has a 100% combo on Remy and Gouki. I'm not sure that equates to a broken game (Chunli,Yun,Ken are broken).

Not only on Remy & Gouki, if you use the kara(HK)-DP.

[welcome to the devil's nest]

deisied
349th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(6):KYSG's insane new Elena combo video" , posted Thu 11 Aug 08:39post reply

quote:

No, it's not alien to me. Show me a match video where these combos are used and I'll give it more respect. But right now, while the combos look cool, I give it less respect because they were pulled off in practice setting and the person didn't use a default joystick controller (i.e. NO PROGRAMMABLE STICK).

Couldn't you have at least...pretended you read any of the posts, whether you agreed or not?

KTallguy
722th Post

"Re(7):KYSG's insane new Elena combo video" , posted Thu 11 Aug 12:39:post reply

I really enjoyed the video as well... unfortunately I feel Burning Ranger's pain on this one.

I have a friend that is trying to learn Elena right now, and it's a shame that the only cool looking, damaging combos that she can do are in situations that almost never happen. I also think those impossible combos where someone jumps over their own fireball are dumb, personally. They do look nice, and are cool, and stretch the limits of the game. I'm not saying that's untrue. But yea, in the end it's just cool looking. That's it.

I really want SF4... =(

Oh and Sabo's post about the video. It's mainly because Gouki has a short stun gauge and takes damage like a feral chihuahua. On most characters this combo wouldn't work.

However Makoto is very strong. In Japan, people know her tricks, so they are forced to improvise a lot, but she's still one of the best characters in the game, IMO.

Proud Supporter of Next Generation GAMEPLAY
"テメエがヤクブソクなんだよ!"

[this message was edited by KTallguy on Thu 11 Aug 12:46]

ONSLAUGHT
3429th Post

"Mmmmhh..." , posted Sat 13 Aug 09:18post reply

quote:
This guy...

Pretty.
But it's like watching a slam dunk contest with wires and trampolines... looks cool, but it has no practical use whatsoever.