Did someone tried Sengoku Basara?? - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (2354 Views )

NARUTO
3168th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Did someone tried Sengoku Basara??" , posted Fri 5 Aug 20:58post reply

Just curious to have an opinion on the game.
thanks.

We are all mad at some point...

Replies:

burning kyo
2348th Post

"Re(1):Did someone tried Sengoku Basara??" , posted Sat 6 Aug 02:38:post reply

It's a pretty good Shin Sangoku Musou-like.
Without the strategic part and with more stylish stuffs (combo, special attacks, etc.).
It's like if Dante have meet LuBu for a beatthem all party.

I like it :)

PS : Oyagata-samaaa !!

[welcome to the devil's nest]

[this message was edited by burning kyo on Sat 6 Aug 02:39]

tenguman
227th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(1):Did someone tried Sengoku Basara??" , posted Sat 6 Aug 02:47post reply

I'll be getting mine until monday, I guesss.
Really looking forward to play it.

「この世に悪があるとすれば、それは人の心だ。」

Pollyanna
1285th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(2):Did someone tried Sengoku Basara??" , posted Sat 6 Aug 04:58post reply

I like it. I like it a LOT. It's a shameless Sengoku Musou ripoff, but I think it's the better game in a lot of ways. Sen/San is too slow, the enemies take too many hits and so many of the levels feel like a chore. Basara does a good job of keeping things fun, fresh and exciting.

I love the enemy variety as well. There are lots of different kinds and they all do different things. Well, I mean...they all pretty much just get killed, but they have a lot of fun animations that really give them personality. The level design is also very good (better than Musou), and the enemies are well-arranged, rather than randomly grouped together.

On the downside, the music is pretty mediocre, the character balance is totally poor (I can't beat Honda with Maeda AT ALL) and normal mode is a total joke. You're not playing unless you're playing on hard.

But I LOVE the character designs and style of the game. I've just about won it with everyone, and some people twice because it's just FUN. It's the most fun game of its kind I've played.

Hmmm...but I can't pick a favorite character. I like Matsu, Kenshin and Yukimura best, I guess. Well, and Masamune for "okeydokey" and Zabi for the Zabi song.

kurushimi
93th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(3):Did someone tried Sengoku Basara??" , posted Sat 6 Aug 05:13post reply

I'm going to add in to the positive as well - the characters are so varied in appearance and personality, and the pace seems to be quicker than the Musou series.

It's almost like Capcom is treating this title as a big experiment - I can't think of any reason to include both animated and CG cutscenes other than, "Eh, why not?". I think they just got the production team in a room, played a couple Musou games, then had a brainstorming session on what else they could throw in there.

The game IS too easy on Normal mode. While I don't agree with taking out the historical aspects for "coolness" kiddies, I'm excited that there will be even more features in the US version.

Some of the unlockables are also pretty neat - Dante's weapons, a banana for a spear among others...

Amakusa
636th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(3):Did someone tried Sengoku Basara??" , posted Sat 6 Aug 11:33post reply

quote:
I like it. I like it a LOT. It's a shameless Sengoku Musou ripoff, but I think it's the better game in a lot of ways. Sen/San is too slow, the enemies take too many hits and so many of the levels feel like a chore. Basara does a good job of keeping things fun, fresh and exciting.

Something in that paragraph tells me that it's the freshness that's talking.

I found Kagami's sword in a junk yard.
I will rule the world and find that truly good cup of coffee.
"Dink-a-dink-a-dink-a-do."

NARUTO
3169th Post

"Re(4):Did someone tried Sengoku Basara??" , posted Sat 6 Aug 16:12post reply

OK thanks for the opinions, So it seems that the game worth something I'll maybe try to get it sooner.

makatiel
164th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(5):Did someone tried Sengoku Basara??" , posted Mon 8 Aug 14:07post reply

it's definitely a fun, interesting game, but in no way is it better than sengoku musou. musou is better than basara in almost everything (except style - which is subjective).

the combat in musou is much more complex. musou's combat is based on the use of two types of attacks, strong and weak and different button patterns will give you different types of attacks (e.g. weak, weak, strong, strong, strong, is different from weak, weak, weak, strong, strong, strong, etc.). the combat in basara is much simpler and based on a single button combination series that also allows the player to avail himself to two special attacks (e.g. attack string, special). then of course there is the invincible musou / basara attacks which are fine.

the missions and stages in musou are also more complex. there are many different ways to clear a stage depending on which missions you are successful in. and there is generally no clear path for any stage in musou. in basara the stages are generally very linear and the missions dont matter at all. furthermore, there is far more replay value in musou than basara, especially if you consider the xtreme legends expansion.

that being said, basara is really quite fun. the characters are well-designed, fun and silly (although there are some clones - booooooooo! lazy capcom). also the game is hilarious. i love zabi and bancho-style masamune.

it's a great game but it definitely lacks the polish and complexity of musou. also it has some serious, serious hit detection issues. bleh. still, if youre a fan of this kind of game, you wont be disappointed.

NARUTO
3170th Post

"Re(6):Did someone tried Sengoku Basara??" , posted Mon 8 Aug 18:27post reply

OK, thanks for the details.

Pollyanna
1294th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(6):Did someone tried Sengoku Basara??" , posted Mon 8 Aug 18:33post reply

quote:
it's definitely a fun, interesting game, but in no way is it better than sengoku musou. musou is better than basara in almost everything (except style - which is subjective).

I mostly agree with everything you said about Musou, and I certainly won't argue with anyone who says that Musou is the better game. However, I still much prefer Basara, simply because I find it more fun.

It doesn't matter how many different combos the Musou characters have. I dislike the slow, forced way the moves link together as well as the way the enemies react when they're hit. Fighting enemies sometimes feels like a chore, moving around seems like swimming through mud. Other people, obviously don't seem to find this an issue. Or rather, they think I'm crazy.

Also, while the level designs are more open and complex in Musou, I think the enemy placement and layouts in Basara are better. This is mostly an aesthetic issue, though.

Still, you're absolutely right. The levels in Basara are quite linear and the combos are, for the most part, simplistic. There are some very useful and very fun combos with some characters , though. I wish the game had better character balance that would allow for more complex combos with all the characters. I don't mean weak/strong predecided combos like in Musou, but combos that involve several different special moves and juggles. Some characters, like Yukimura can do fun stuff like that, but many can't. Having a high combo bonus like in Drag-on Dragoon 2 would also help.

Also, the item system is really lame, especially in reference to Musou. I'd also like to see an extension of the parry/"issen" system.

I think many of the issues I have with Sengoku Musou come from the fact that I've played all the Musou games enough to nitpick. I think what Koei is doing with the series is shameful, and while I feel that Sengoku Musou is the best, I can't help but think that I would find it even better if I hadn't played several other games just like it.

NARUTO
3172th Post

"Re(7):Did someone tried Sengoku Basara??" , posted Mon 8 Aug 19:47post reply

quote:
Still, you're absolutely right. The levels in Basara are quite linear and the combos are, for the most part, simplistic. There are some very useful and very fun combos with some characters , though. I wish the game had better character balance that would allow for more complex combos with all the characters. I don't mean weak/strong predecided combos like in Musou, but combos that involve several different special moves and juggles. Some characters, like Yukimura can do fun stuff like that, but many can't. Having a high combo bonus like in Drag-on Dragoon 2 would also help.

Wait for sengoku Basara 2...
Capcom wil surely make one, and they'll maybe correct or change those.

NARUTO
3173th Post

"Re(7):Did someone tried Sengoku Basara??" , posted Mon 8 Aug 19:47post reply

quote:

Iggy
7004th Post

"Re(8):Did someone tried Sengoku Basara??" , posted Mon 8 Aug 20:24post reply

quote:

ねんがんの 7000をてにいれたぞ!
  そう かんけいないね
=> 殺してでもうばいとる
  ゆずってくれ たのむ!!

Kikkoken
945th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(9):Did someone tried Sengoku Basara??" , posted Mon 8 Aug 20:26post reply

quote:

kofoguz
96th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(10):Did someone tried Sengoku Basara??" , posted Tue 9 Aug 09:24post reply

quote:

here is kapadokya/cappadocia
Link Here.php?main=4&sub=1
and pamukkale
Link Here

Hi from Türkiye

makatiel
165th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(7):Did someone tried Sengoku Basara??" , posted Tue 9 Aug 15:22post reply

quote:
It doesn't matter how many different combos the Musou characters have. I dislike the slow, forced way the moves link together as well as the way the enemies react when they're hit. Fighting enemies sometimes feels like a chore, moving around seems like swimming through mud. Other people, obviously don't seem to find this an issue. Or rather, they think I'm crazy.

i definitely know what you mean when you say this though. the combos definitely feel much, much, much slower in musou. sometimes i feel like "how long does it take you to swing that thing!?!?!" when im playing musou. but then again, i feel the same way with ituki.

quote:

yeah, i find that the character differences in basara are really wide and so although that allows for a varied and fun experience, it also makes for character imbalance and some boring characters. playing nouhime the first time was incredibly fun and silly though. i was like, woah! she actually uses guns! nothing at all like magoichi who is no different from the other melee characters.

quote:
Also, the item system is really lame, especially in reference to Musou. I'd also like to see an extension of the parry/"issen" system.

i think both games have pretty tired item systems. i think it was especially disappointing that the weapons in basara are no different from each other except for stats. it wouldve been much more interesting if their attack animations were also different but maybe that's asking too much...

quote:
I think many of the issues I have with Sengoku Musou come from the fact that I've played all the Musou games enough to nitpick. I think what Koei is doing with the series is shameful, and while I feel that Sengoku Musou is the best, I can't help but think that I would find it even better if I hadn't played several other games just like it.

100% agree. man, the musou series are getting really tired. but i guess if it sells...

NARUTO
3174th Post

"Re(9):Did someone tried Sengoku Basara??" , posted Tue 9 Aug 17:48post reply

Iggy so the double post curse was your fault!!
Even Kikkoken seems to be touched by this!
You evil one!