Buying a PSP, now? - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (2145 Views )

Mav
96th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Occasional Customer

"Buying a PSP, now?" , posted Thu 4 Aug 06:52post reply

The recent (US) PSP shipments have 1.51 firmware in them, so anyone looking into homebrews and other fun (roms? Heavens no... ) is out of luck unless they can track down an older one, somehow.

I use this comment to greedily segue into my own quandry. I recently acquired a PSP and it is such a model. Purchased along with this is a Best Buy warantee basically enabling me the freedom to switch it out for another if I even so much as sneezed on it. If the knowledge is out there as to what seeeecret codes Sony uses on their packaging to indicate what firmware may be locked inside, I could make a switch on the complaint that this single dead pixel barely visible to the human eye and smaller than most vaccinations is intolerable to me and I require a new one.

I suppose I'm one of the rare ones who actually finds a lot in this PSP lineup to play thus far. Just try and find me in public without my face buried in another Hotshots Golf round. Either way won't bother me, but if even for a few weeks, I'd enjoy having the options open to more fun on this portable bundle of joy.

The internet rumor mill is still circulating about the ability to downgrade the firmware, but such innovations could be weeks away. So if anyone knew how I could spot firmware differences in the package alone, it would be of help. This is also a fair warning to anyone else out there looking to get a PSP for homebrew goodies.

Replies:

Burning Ranger
1261th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(1):Buying a PSP, now?" , posted Thu 4 Aug 10:36post reply

I'm still not seeing how practical it is to buy a PSP. Theres a lot you can do with it, but newer games are also coming out with firmware patches (or so I've heard), which means Sony is trying to stay one step ahead of the hackers. So really, to play new games AND play ROMs, Divx, etc, you need 2 PSPs... which is about $500 worth. It's just not worth it, unless you're dead set on not playing PSP software.

Advanced Cyborg E. Branger AKA Burning Ranger

Felicia & Morrigan: no explanation necessary.

KTallguy
715th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(2):Buying a PSP, now?" , posted Thu 4 Aug 11:04post reply

The hackers WILL figure it out. There's no doubt. Don't worry.

There is no such thing as an un-hackable system.

Proud Supporter of Next Generation GAMEPLAY
"テメエがヤクブソクなんだよ!"

CHAZumaru
190th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(2):Buying a PSP, now?" , posted Thu 4 Aug 19:12post reply

quote:
I'm still not seeing how practical it is to buy a PSP. Theres a lot you can do with it, but newer games are also coming out with firmware patches (or so I've heard), which means Sony is trying to stay one step ahead of the hackers. So really, to play new games AND play ROMs, Divx, etc, you need 2 PSPs... which is about $500 worth. It's just not worth it, unless you're dead set on not playing PSP software.

From what I remember, you can still play "images" of the games that require an update on 1.50 and 1.51 firmwares, as people found some way to jump over the upgrade data by patching the "images". Which means you can play any "image" you want, but no new original game anymore.

NOW IS TIME TO THE 68000 Z80 AND SH-2 HEART ON FIRE !!

Siegfried
435th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(3):Buying a PSP, now?" , posted Thu 4 Aug 22:36post reply

I just tainted my 1.00 PSP by updating to 2.00. While I don't really need the GIF support and browser, I don't really need emulators either. I've got the GP32 if I suddenly get an urge to play portable NES, and I don't want to mess with this one as rumours say that memory sticks may become corrupted.

As for the games, Lumines, Everybody's Golf, Mercury, Wipeout and Untold Legends keep me plenty busy - I don't really need more portable gaming than that (plus my DS with Super Mario 64 and Bubble Bobble).

----------------
Webmaster of Fighter Mania
kattuggla.oru.se/dmd01/dm0103/test/

Stifu
222th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(1):Buying a PSP, now?" , posted Fri 5 Aug 04:01post reply

I don't care about the PSP and will never get one, but for your information, I read there's now a way to downgrade your firmware version.

crazymike
1149th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member+

"Re(2):Buying a PSP, now?" , posted Fri 5 Aug 06:36post reply

There is going to be work started on porting Final Burn to PSP. This alone is worth buying for in my book.

Amakusa
634th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(1):Buying a PSP, now?" , posted Fri 5 Aug 11:50post reply

The PSP isn't going to be the subject of any of my cash until at the very least FIVE exclusive GAMES for it are worth buying.

That will take a while, since it's got an uphill battle of ZERO games so far.

I found Kagami's sword in a junk yard.
I will rule the world and find that truly good cup of coffee.
"Dink-a-dink-a-dink-a-do."

Siegfried
436th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(2):Buying a PSP, now?" , posted Fri 5 Aug 14:48post reply

quote:
The PSP isn't going to be the subject of any of my cash until at the very least FIVE exclusive GAMES for it are worth buying.

That will take a while, since it's got an uphill battle of ZERO games so far.

Lumines is damn exclusive and damn good.

Hot Shots Golf/Mingol is an amazing portable game, it's just perfect for the format. It's not exclusive, but would you really buy it for a console?

Then there's Ridge Racer and Wipeout, both of which are exclusive to PSP - no other game in the series has the same content.

Unless you mean "original" instead of "exclusive", in which case you could also count Mercury and Untold Legends, both decent games.

----------------
Webmaster of Fighter Mania
kattuggla.oru.se/dmd01/dm0103/test/

Mav
98th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(3):Buying a PSP, now?" , posted Sat 6 Aug 02:53post reply

quote:
Hot Shots Golf/Mingol is an amazing portable game, it's just perfect for the format. It's not exclusive, but would you really buy it for a console?

HSG:Fore! for PS2 is probably a better game with twice the golfers and courses, but I find myself more engrossed in the portable format. You can play it on the go with such ease, taking in a few holes at a time if you please.
Open Tee is arguably exclusive, since it focuses on the customization of your characters through hundreds of items; a feature unseen previously in HSG.