Im late to the party... - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (2030 Views )

Evenor
222th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Frequent Customer

"Im late to the party..." , posted Tue 2 Aug 13:34post reply

The GAMECUBE party that is!

My friend recently sold me his gamecube,controllers,memory card and a game ( mario sunshine ) for the low low price of 25 (US) dollars. The only game in mind that I want to purchase is Killer7.

Now I was wondering , what games can you lovely people reccomend?

Thank you very much.

Note: Im not a fan of Zelda or Metroid Prime

肝臓入りのオレンジジュース!
腎臓混じりの甘口カレー!
膵臓仕込みのペスカトーレ!
愛しの愛しのサイコホラー

Replies:

ONSLAUGHT
3425th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Mmmmhh..." , posted Tue 2 Aug 13:47:post reply

quote:

Now I was wondering , what games can you lovely people reccomend?

I don't know about the rest, but RE4 is a must.
Viewtiful Joe, REmake and Prince of Persia Sands of Time are great choices too.

[this message was edited by ONSLAUGHT on Tue 2 Aug 13:50]

deisied
348th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(1):Im late to the party..." , posted Tue 2 Aug 15:30post reply

quote:

Well...no wonder you didn't have a Gamecube.

Anyway, yeah I reccomend the same things he said(except PoP, kinda), plus Ikaruga doesn't hurt if you haven't gotten it some other way yet.

Hungrywolf
3077th Post

"Re(2):Im late to the party..." , posted Tue 2 Aug 16:45post reply

quote:

Well...no wonder you didn't have a Gamecube.

Anyway, yeah I reccomend the same things he said(except PoP, kinda), plus Ikaruga doesn't hurt if you haven't gotten it some other way yet.

I recommend Donky Konga, Eternal Darkness, P.N.03 (I like it, anyway), REmake, Resident Evil 4, Super Smash Bros. Melee, Viewtiful Joe. Of course, I would recommend Windwaker and Metroid Prime usually too. And Animal Crossing.

Hungry Like the Wolf

Fygee
1203th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(1):Im late to the party..." , posted Tue 2 Aug 17:12post reply

Buy Metroid Prime 1 and 2 anyways. They're that good.

Also grab Super Smash Bros. Melee, Paper Mario 2, and Resident Evil 4.

EternalNewbie
191th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(2):Im late to the party..." , posted Tue 2 Aug 17:24post reply

Alot of the games already said are good games to buy, so go with them. Adding one to the list is Mario Kart: Double Dash if you are a Mario Kart fan. Also, I can't stress enough that if you have friends and a GC, it is almost mandatory for you to get Smash Bros. Melee.

EternalNewbie:
The Einherjar Hachitoushi -- The 8 Warriors of the Ragnarok Plan

CauseOfChaos
8th Post

New Customer

"Re(3):Im late to the party..." , posted Tue 2 Aug 17:44post reply

Yeah, I recommend both Metroid games too. I also enjoyed Megaman: Battle Network, and Baten Kaitos, along with the VJ games. And its worth playing all the GC Resi games (except 2 & 3)

cause_of_chaos

All one needs in life is Tea Sonic Super Robot Wars KOF and Pineapples

Pollyanna
1270th Post

"Re(4):Im late to the party..." , posted Tue 2 Aug 18:08post reply

Well, assuming you have a PS2 (who doesn't?), I don't really recommend Viewtiful Joe like everyone else.

But yeah, IF you have friends who will play it with you, I think Smash Bros is one of the best games ever made. If you have friends with a lot of GBAs, Crystal Chronicles will give you a number of fun get-togethers as well.

Also, if you like screwing around and wasting time, then Animal Crossing is for you.

exodus
2879th Post

"Re(5):Im late to the party..." , posted Tue 2 Aug 18:52post reply

I don't really like nintendo-developed games, so I can't personally recommend metroid prime or smash brothers...I really don't like them.

I recommend F-Zero GX though, developed by sega. And Resident Evil 4 and Killer 7. Other than that...If you don't have Beyond Good and Evil yet, that's on Gamecube. And you could get the PC Genjin remake, which is boss. but that's also on PS2, and the same price either way. It's an import though.

Uh........that's it, gamecube is mostly a wasteland, for me.

Time Mage
2221th Post

"Re(1):Im late to the party..." , posted Tue 2 Aug 19:31post reply

F-Zero GX is the best racing game I've seen ever, although is difficult as hell. But the kind of difficulty that makes you first yell at the screen, then retry again immediately.
Also, Tales of Symphonia is a very fun RPG. It has one of the best battle systems around, the graphics are nice, the music is great, and the story is interesting enough. Great game.

Of course, RE4, the Metroids, Zelda:WW, SMBM, VJ, Ikaruga and SoA (if you don't have them in DC), Paper Mario 2, etc. There's plenty to choose.

Pollyanna
1271th Post

"Re(2):Im late to the party..." , posted Tue 2 Aug 19:52post reply

Oh yeah, I forgot about Tales of Symphonia, because I played the PS2 one. It looks a bit better on GC, but I really think the PS2 one is best, as it has more stuff. (though it has 1 second loading times that GC fanatics/bitchasses will say ruin the game. Yes...one second...a terrible time to wait)

But Time Mage, I don't see what was so good about the soundtrack. I can think of maybe 3 songs that were exceptional and one of them was from ToP. It had a LOT of music and none of it was BAD, but on the whole it failed to evoke any emotion (much like most of the plot) or interesting atmosphere. I wouldn't complain about it, but I can hardly applaud it when I look at how many RPGs have truly exceptional soundtracks.

Radish
2972th Post

"Re(6):Im late to the party..." , posted Tue 2 Aug 22:49post reply

quote:
I don't really like nintendo-developed games, so I can't personally recommend metroid prime or smash brothers...I really don't like them.

I recommend F-Zero GX though, developed by sega. And Resident Evil 4 and Killer 7. Other than that...If you don't have Beyond Good and Evil yet, that's on Gamecube. And you could get the PC Genjin remake, which is boss. but that's also on PS2, and the same price either way. It's an import though.

Uh........that's it, gamecube is mostly a wasteland, for me.

Yeah I have to agree. I got mine to play RE4 and it's really just sat there since. I even tried REmake and I got bored halfway through since I've already played RE1 to death.

Ishmael
2131th Post

"Re(5):Im late to the party..." , posted Wed 3 Aug 00:33post reply

quote:
Also, if you like screwing around and wasting time, then Animal Crossing is for you.

And if you don't like screwing around and wasting time what are you doing posting on this board?

Undead Fred
2463th Post

"Re(3):Im late to the party..." , posted Wed 3 Aug 02:35post reply

quote:
P.N.03 (I like it, anyway)

Oh! I forgot all about that game... anyone else like it at all? I was wanting to try it.

I'm kind of like Exodus in terms of my recommendations- the GameCube's sort of light on MUST HAVE OMG games for me. But you've got to get Animal Crossing, REmake, and RE4. Smash Bros got kind of old really fast for me, but it's not bad to play if you've got friends to play it with and can get it for cheap. Mario Party's also fun, but I can't remember which I had played... I think 4? The ghost was playable and there was a stage on a birthday cake... Anyway, that's fun if you've got people to play with too.

Shapermc
101th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(4):Im late to the party..." , posted Wed 3 Aug 03:08post reply

quote:
P.N.03 (I like it, anyway)
Oh! I forgot all about that game... anyone else like it at all? I was wanting to try it.

I recommend PN03 as well. Just don't play the training missions between the levels. It will make it a very short game, but it will also be much more enjoyable. If you want to get all of the suits the second run through is more important to play the training levels for.

Also you might want to look into getting Space Raiders. I enjoy it, but it is very simple. It was only released for the GC in the US.

Yes, get Killer 7 for the GC over the PS2.

Burning Ranger
1259th Post

"Re(1):Im late to the party..." , posted Wed 3 Aug 03:20post reply

GC has become the new DC (as in budget gaming system). There's a lot of good stuff for it, but then again, there's a lot of crap for it too. I'll agree with a lot of the picks mentioned, though I haven't played Killer 7 yet.

My recommendations:
Super Smash Bros Melee (even though it will get boring if you have no one else to play)
Resident Evil, RE0, RE4
Soul Calibur 2
Metroid Prime 1 & 2
F-Zero GX
Eternal Darkness

(If you look hard enough, a lot of these games can be had for less than $10-$20).

Advanced Cyborg E. Branger AKA Burning Ranger

Felicia & Morrigan: no explanation necessary.

Pollyanna
1273th Post

"Re(6):Im late to the party..." , posted Wed 3 Aug 05:55post reply

quote:

And if you don't like screwing around and wasting time what are you doing posting on this board?

I don't know. I JUST DON'T KNOW.

I hate Animal Crossing. I mean, I really think it's the most stupid waste of time ever, but everyone around me seemed to like it. As a result, I still have to recommend it. Or like...Zelda...I don't like Zelda games (excluding 2 for some reason), but the games are so well put together and popular that I can't say they're bad...just not my thing.

Also, I DO NOT recommend Mario Party, because it turns your friends into your enemies. Even the most mild-mannered loving people will hate you after playing Mario Party (unless they win). I've warned people (and myself) about this before playing, and yet...we still seem to fall for its evil tricks. If you want a board game game, do yourself a favor and hunt down Gaia Master for PS1. It'll make your day.

I have to try extra hard to take an objective view with Nintendo games, because I really hate Nintendo. So much that I won't buy a DS, even though it has a growing number of games I want on it. As a result, I may feel obligated to recommend or compliment a Nintendo game (even if I don't, personally like it) to make sure that my opinion isn't too biased to be trustworthy.

Time Mage
2222th Post

"Re(7):Im late to the party..." , posted Wed 3 Aug 06:51post reply

quote:
Oh yeah, I forgot about Tales of Symphonia, because I played the PS2 one. It looks a bit better on GC, but I really think the PS2 one is best, as it has more stuff. (though it has 1 second loading times that GC fanatics/bitchasses will say ruin the game. Yes...one second...a terrible time to wait)

Keep in mind that not everyone knows Japanese, and the only English version available is the Game Cube one.

quote:
But Time Mage, I don't see what was so good about the soundtrack. I can think of maybe 3 songs that were exceptional and one of them was from ToP. It had a LOT of music and none of it was BAD, but on the whole it failed to evoke any emotion (much like most of the plot) or interesting atmosphere. I wouldn't complain about it, but I can hardly applaud it when I look at how many RPGs have truly exceptional soundtracks.

Well, I said great, but in fact it's more like you say, with one exception: The battle themes. There are a lot, which is rare in rpgs, and all of them are great. Also, some character themes are very good also (Kratos, Zelos serious version).
I might have said "great" because now I'm playing Baten Kaitos, and Sakuraba has made an excellent work with this one (that, along with the gorgeous graphics compensates the crappy battle system and horrible, horrible voice acting).

quote:
I hate Animal Crossing. I mean, I really think it's the most stupid waste of time ever, but everyone around me seemed to like it. As a result, I still have to recommend it.

Wow, I totally agree here. I bought it because basically everyone said it was the best thing since sliced bread, oh-so-wonderful, etc, but I got totally bored of it in a week. Now it's sitting in a shelf collecting dust until I find a good game to trade with it (like Pikmin 1/2, or MP2, but anything decent will do).

Pollyanna
1275th Post

"Re(8):Im late to the party..." , posted Wed 3 Aug 07:14post reply

quote:

Well, I said great, but in fact it's more like you say, with one exception: The battle themes. There are a lot, which is rare in rpgs, and all of them are great. Also, some character themes are very good also (Kratos, Zelos serious version).
I might have said "great" because now I'm playing Baten Kaitos, and Sakuraba has made an excellent work with this one (that, along with the gorgeous graphics compensates the crappy battle system and horrible, horrible voice acting).

Yeah, the battle themes are pretty good. That's Sakuraba's specialty, I guess. I'm really in love with some of the battle themes from Golden Sun 2, which otherwise I wouldn't care about at all.

But YES Baten Kaitos has an amazing soundtrack. I feel like Sakuraba is "spread too thin" with all the work he does. Sort of like when Uematsu does a 4 disc Final Fantasy soundtrack, I feel like there are 3-5 inspired pieces (you know them when you hear them) and 3 1/2 discs of music that "just had to be made". Sakuraba is stretched even MORE thin as he's always doing a new Tales game AND picks up other projects from time to time.

BUT...Baten Kaitos, because it uses real instruments and is a little different than his usual stuff, feels much more inspired to me.

I haven't managed to play the game yet, though. I just listen to the soundtrack. I love the character designs, but I haven't heard anything good about the game itself. Well, that and I inherited my GC not too long ago.

Grahf
403th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(3):Im late to the party..." , posted Wed 3 Aug 07:32post reply

quote:

I agree, somewhat. Most of the music wasn't all that memorable, but for some reason it had a really nice overall feel to it. Hard to explain. The only songs that really stand out in my mind as being excellent are Sheena's theme (the one it plays when you're fighting Kuchinawa) and the music it plays at Hima. Which song was from ToP?

Back on topic, most of the games people have mentioned are great choices. Wario-ware is another good choice for multiplayer (especially if you have a whole lot of people). As is the Zelda Four Swords Adventure. That game will definitely start up some violence between close friends. It's fantastic. Another game I'm surprised no one has mentioned is Super Monkey Ball. Even when the Gamecube was new it was pretty much a bargain buy, and generates hours of fun both single- and multi-player.

Another great reason to have a Gamecube is the Gameboy Player. This has made many of my GBA games all the more enjoyable. For me, it's a must-have.

Time Mage
2223th Post

"Re(9):Im late to the party..." , posted Wed 3 Aug 08:05post reply

quote:
I haven't managed to play the game yet, though. I just listen to the soundtrack. I love the character designs, but I haven't heard anything good about the game itself. Well, that and I inherited my GC not too long ago.

The battle sistem, while original, is bad. It's too random (because of the cards), but, even if you have to play the cards in specific orders to get the better results, you have a time limit. That's *really* frustrating sometimes, and gets even worse when defending. The story is pretty average so far (I've just saved before changing disks right now), but many people has said me that it gets way better in the second disk. I'll see.
I first liked the game for the novelty of the battle system and the amazing graphics and music, then hated it after some frustrating series of battles (including a boss), and now that I more or less have managed to understand the better way to battle, I'm starting to enjoy it again. Oh, and beware of the voice acting, it is (the english one, at least) HORRIBLE, and on top of that, you hear the voices with a metallic echo, as if you heard them through a pipe. There's story reason behind it, but I find stupid downgrading the sound quality because of that.