FFXII: Rel. date, Matsuno rumored to be out. - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (2414 Views )

Time Mage
2219th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"FFXII: Rel. date, Matsuno rumored to be out." , posted Mon 1 Aug 02:29post reply

First, FFXII finally gets a (supposedly final) release date: 3/16/2006 in Japan. According to some, the game may be finished sooner, but they will delay the release date to not make it coincide with KH2. If that's true, maybe we won't have to wait that much in America and Europe, if it isn't, the game will fall to late 2006 probably.

Also, according to this 1up article, Matsuno may have left the game (either fired from the project or by own will), due to conflicts that appeared after Sakaguchi left Squeenix. Although the article doesn't say anything about this being a rumour, there is some doubt about the credibility of this, since no other media has written about this.

Also, the game battle mechanics seem more or less equal than the E32004 demo, featuring semi-turn based battles, with no transition between the map and the battle, and a system resembling to FFXI and KOTOR.

For more information on the demo and gameplay questions, Gamespot preview.

I don't really know what to think about all of this, really... I had my hopes really high, but now I am having some doubts... Specially if Matsuno left. Anyway, I still wait for this eagerly.

Replies:

Rid
6774th Post

"Re(1):FFXII: Rel. date, Matsuno rumored to be" , posted Mon 1 Aug 06:21post reply

quote:
Also, the game battle mechanics seem more or less equal than the E32004 demo, featuring semi-turn based battles, with no transition between the map and the battle, and a system resembling to FFXI and KOTOR.
Retarded MMORPG fights can ruin the game.

Time Mage
2220th Post

"Re(2):FFXII: Rel. date, Matsuno rumored to be" , posted Mon 1 Aug 07:14post reply

quote:
Also, the game battle mechanics seem more or less equal than the E32004 demo, featuring semi-turn based battles, with no transition between the map and the battle, and a system resembling to FFXI and KOTOR. Retarded MMORPG fights can ruin the game.

That's one of my biggest fears so far. It isn't necessarily bad, but MMORPG games are not exactly known for their fun battle systems. I'm still hoping that they manage to make it good. After all, all of Matsuno's games are famous for their great and really deep battle/growth systems. I hope he doesn't fail for the first time with this one.

KTallguy
713th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(3):FFXII: Rel. date, Matsuno rumored to be" , posted Mon 1 Aug 08:52post reply

I did get a chance to play it at E3 2004, and it's more fun than a retarted RPG fight, trust me. I really enjoyed it then, and I can wait to play it now =)

Proud Supporter of Next Generation GAMEPLAY
"テメエがヤクブソクなんだよ!"

Ammadeau
1414th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(4):FFXII: Rel. date, Matsuno rumored to be" , posted Mon 1 Aug 11:28post reply

quote:
I did get a chance to play it at E3 2004, and it's more fun than a retarted RPG fight, trust me. I really enjoyed it then, and I can wait to play it now =)

Does it worry you it wasn't playable at E3 2005? I have to assume they changed a few things since 04. I really hate what I've seen of the characters for this so I doubt I'd give it a try even with an amazing battle system. Give me Kingdom Hearts 2 instead.

Ammadeau.net - My own personal waste of time.

Gojira
1795th Post

Silver Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(5):FFXII: Rel. date, Matsuno rumored to be" , posted Mon 1 Aug 11:48post reply

quote:

Does it worry you it wasn't playable at E3 2005? I have to assume they changed a few things since 04.

By IGN's account, nothing about the battle engine has changed, just that it's grown closer to completion. They said something about the addition of a summon creature that can be called to replace your two other party members when a meter is filled, but everything else is pretty much as it was in the E3 demo last year. If they're not lying anyway.

Oddly enough from descriptions it almost sounds like Kingdom Hearts.

KTallguy
714th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(6):FFXII: Rel. date, Matsuno rumored to be" , posted Mon 1 Aug 12:26post reply

It's not like Kingdom Hearts...

But it's not like FF10...

It is slightly reminisant of online games, but it is so much more fun to play because it's responsive, fast, and the graphics are really nice.

Imagine online games with absolutly no lag, and faster attacks. That's bascially what I remember of the demo in 2004. The only thing I didn't like was the fact that your character doesn't "react" when hit, nor do the enemies (then again, they might have changed this since I played it). In that respect I wish it was more like the previous games.

I liked how you had to corral off enemies too, and do crowd control, it's much more fun in a game like FF12 than in an online game... IMO.

Proud Supporter of Next Generation GAMEPLAY
"テメエがヤクブソクなんだよ!"

kyo717
170th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(7):FFXII: Rel. date, Matsuno rumored to be" , posted Mon 1 Aug 13:09post reply

I don't mind the gameplay at all. It worked well for many mmos and other console rpgs like Star Ocean, Tales of, and Secret of Mana series. If the plot blows, at least we'll have a memorable battle system. Kind of like what happened with SO3 where the plot was horrible but fun as heck.

Iggy
6964th Post

"Matsuno, Kawazu, WoMana" , posted Tue 2 Aug 02:49post reply

Official confirmation.

They called Kawazu to help finish the thing as an executive producer.... he. I like the fact there are two directors now.

More intersting : Mana is moving.

sabo10
1189th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member+

"Re(1):Matsuno, Kawazu, WoMana" , posted Tue 2 Aug 03:35post reply

quote:
More intersting : Mana is moving.

Anyone know what Hiroki Kikuta is working on now?