New laptop...help - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (1829 Views )

talbaineric
6170th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"New laptop...help" , posted Sat 30 Jul 10:09post reply

Greets y'all. I just received a new Dell laptop in the mail 2 days ago, an Inspiron 6000. I'm very happy (early B-day present from my parents) however...something bothers me about it.

It simply lags, and it's brand new...like it takes a bit to get to the desktop after "Welcome" comes on, and it takes lags on programs...there can't be any viruses.....what's up with this? I haven't uploaded any viruses and there's no internet on it yet (still confused about this as well but more later).

And when I shut it down, the task manager or whatever pulls up that screens when a programs lags...it pulls up something called "ccAPP" or something, making me choose to end the program now or cancel. I have a feel this might have something to do with it.

Help. Thanks.

TALBAINANDCAMMY.COM! Celebrating 3 years of T&C Fanship.
My Deviantart place! TE loves Deviantart!

Replies:

ONSLAUGHT
3420th Post

"Re(1):New laptop...help" , posted Sat 30 Jul 10:19post reply

ccApp.exe is related to Norton Antivirus, it loads at startup (making your computer slow), and it's a vital component for your antivirus protection.
I recomend you to disable it, but if you're not using a good firewall, you're bound to catch some trojans and other lovely creatures (and this multiplies exponencially if you're on broadband).
If you're not sure about living without the antivirus checking for your computer periodically, then leave it alone.

talbaineric
6171th Post

"Re(2):New laptop...help" , posted Sat 30 Jul 13:28post reply

quote:
ccApp.exe is related to Norton Antivirus, it loads at startup (making your computer slow), and it's a vital component for your antivirus protection.
I recomend you to disable it, but if you're not using a good firewall, you're bound to catch some trojans and other lovely creatures (and this multiplies exponencially if you're on broadband).
If you're not sure about living without the antivirus checking for your computer periodically, then leave it alone.

Ah, interesting. Thanks Onslaught.

How do I disable the software? And well, it shouldn't catch anything yet. This notebook supposedly has a good one (it's on now). So this is what will continue to my my notebook lag?

kurushimi
92th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(3):New laptop...help" , posted Sat 30 Jul 13:51post reply

You probably don't have much RAM - laptop hard drives are terribly slow for the most part, and if you have low RAM, it'll use your hard drive a lot more. As for what you can do about it, well, hrm...I would try disabling as many programs that load on startup. Just check your system tray on the lower right corner, and see what programs you can exit out of.

Ammadeau
1410th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(1):New laptop...help" , posted Sat 30 Jul 14:53post reply

Norton might be the problem. It's not a very good program and it's a total system hog. It was what was screwing up my own notebook. I'd recommend getting rid of it and replacing it with some other anti virus protection. I use Avast! myself.

Ammadeau.net - My own personal waste of time.

Fygee
1200th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(2):New laptop...help" , posted Sat 30 Jul 15:44post reply

Kill Norton and get AVG or Kaspersky.

If its still slow after that, your hard drive could be bad.

Undead Fred
2459th Post

"Re(3):New laptop...help" , posted Sat 30 Jul 17:13post reply

quote:

Yeah, Kaspersky's good. Is this an old version of Norton? I've had similar trouble, but that was back when I was using a fairly old version of Norton on a newer system...

Bootation
487th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(4):New laptop...help" , posted Sat 30 Jul 23:33post reply

quote:

Yeah, Kaspersky's good. Is this an old version of Norton? I've had similar trouble, but that was back when I was using a fairly old version of Norton on a newer system...

Dude, you got a dell!

(mac os x forever bitches!)

Pretty please check out my neato sweet awesome webpage

VManOfMana
626th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(5):New laptop...help" , posted Sat 30 Jul 23:46post reply

The first question should always be:

How much memory does your computer has (RAM, not hard drive)?

You need to have at least 500MB if you want to run windows decently. If you have 256 right now, try to get at leasta 256 chip (most laptops have two memory slot) for a total of 512. If you can get a 512 chip for a total of 768, even better.

Jabel D. Morales - VMan of Mana.
http://vman.animecafe.net/

"Tameraeba makeyo!"

talbaineric
6172th Post

"Re(2):New laptop...help" , posted Sun 31 Jul 00:35post reply

Thank you all for your help! ^_^

quote:
Norton might be the problem. It's not a very good program and it's a total system hog. It was what was screwing up my own notebook. I'd recommend getting rid of it and replacing it with some other anti virus protection. I use Avast! myself.

Yeah, I've decided to erase the WHOLE Norton software of it last night. Runs a bit more decently, it loads DVD's and the progrms work fine, but CD playing, it still lags like 5 seconds between each song. But oh well.

I love this notebook, they rock! :D

causeofchaos
1th Post

New Customer

"Re:New laptop...help" , posted Sun 31 Jul 01:23post reply

I have that prob with Norton 2005, so I don't think its the version...

cause_of_chaos

dante
45th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(3):New laptop...help" , posted Mon 1 Aug 08:04post reply

I see a lot of recommendations for Kaspersky but haven't used it before. Panda actually caught and fixed the problems Norton couldn't on another computer a while back: http://www.pandasoftware.com. I don't use anti-virus at all. I hate the overhead those programs have.

In general IMO, any preloaded Windows program sucks. There is always a lighter, better performing, and sometimes free program; the only reason that Norton, Realplayer, et.al survive is that they are pack-ins.

CauseOfChaos
4th Post

New Customer

"Re:New laptop...help" , posted Tue 2 Aug 08:31post reply

BTW audio CDs are always gonna lag because of the energy-saving feature Laptops have, where the cd-drive stops spinning if not accessed. They also have LONG spin-up times. I hate using mine!!!

cause_of_chaos

Grahf
404th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(1):Re:New laptop...help" , posted Wed 3 Aug 07:39post reply

To help your computer start up faster, here's a useful link: http://www.pcreview.co.uk/startup/

Click on "Run..." in your Start menu, and type "msconfig" (no quotes). Click the "Startup" tab. You can run a search on any of the processes listed there and see if you actually need them (or if they're harmful). Just uncheck whatever processes you don't want to run.

talbaineric
6176th Post

"Re(2):Re:New laptop...help" , posted Fri 5 Aug 03:56post reply

Thanks CauseofChaos and Grahf, this will aid me big time. ^^

talbaineric
6178th Post

"HELP ONCE AGAIN!" , posted Wed 10 Aug 09:24post reply

Okay, now my sound is weird. Okay, it comes out fine when playing songs/mp3s and stuff. I can hear the voice and music fine usually....here's my problem.

When I put in a DVD, every loads up fine and it plays, but then, something is wrong...i can barely hear the actors speak O_o. I can kind of hear the background music clearly, but the voices are barely audible. What's causing this? I play Kiki's Delivery Service, The Cat Returns and Kung Fu Hustle, to name a few, and you can't even hear the voices. Why is this? I can't figure it out. Anyone have the same problem? Please help. I tried volume control and this doesn't fix the voice problem. Thanks again!

Mokona
298th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(1):HELP ONCE AGAIN!" , posted Thu 11 Aug 00:44post reply

Some DVD software have a karaoke option (actually emulates a karaoke effect by trying to mess with the sound equalizer settings)...
Maybe you checked this option without knowing... otherwise, I don't know!

Blah!