"About youth violence and video games..." , posted Fri 29 Jul 00:17:post reply

wow.

[this message was edited by Samson on Fri 29 Jul 00:19]

Replies:

sabo10
1183th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Red Carpet Premium Member+

"Re(1):About youth violence and video games..." , posted Fri 29 Jul 00:39post reply

quote:
wow.

ctrl+f

"pretty cure"

"0 matches found."

Didn't read.

Zepy
1090th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Re(1):About youth violence and video games..." , posted Fri 29 Jul 00:43:post reply

There's no blood!

Didn't read.

[this message was edited by Zepy on Fri 29 Jul 00:51]

Juan
4204th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(1):About youth violence and video games..." , posted Fri 29 Jul 00:46post reply

No penguins, didnt read!

quote:
wow.

sabo10
1184th Post

"Re(2):About youth violence and video games..." , posted Fri 29 Jul 00:51post reply

ctrl+f

"nagisa de kun kun"

"1 match found."

Hungrywolf
3067th Post

"Re(1):About youth violence and video games..." , posted Fri 29 Jul 01:35:post reply

quote:
wow.

Nice article. I found the links in it to be quite interesting though, and it disturbs me to see the kind of games they consider to be the worst at teaching kids to kill.

http://www.enquirer.com/columns/kiese/1999/09/14/jki_violent_video_games.html

"My teen-age son likes to sit for hours and zap Storm Troopers on his Star Wars: Dark Forces computer game. Am I training a cold-blooded assassin?

Retired Army Lt. Col. David Grossman, a former West Point psychology professor and weapons instructor, says I could be. I don't completely agree with him, but every parent should hear him out"

Dark Forces? Honestly.

"The worst of all video games, Mr. Grossman says, is an arcade game called Time Crisis, in which kids use a gun similar to a .22-caliber pistol."

Time Crisis? Now, I suppose that you do improve your aim in this game, but I don't see how it could make someone want to go out and kill people randomly. This wasn't the only article that mentioned Time Crisis.

Also, according to two articles, apparantly Time Crisis is similar to or the same as a game a game used for military training.

http://www.21stcenturysciencetech.com/articles/New_violence.html

"“Now these simulators are in our homes and arcades—in the form of violent video games! If you don’t believe us, you should know that one of the most effective and widely used simulators developed by the United States Army in recent years, MACS (Multipurpose Arcade Combat Simulator), is nothing more than a modified Super Nintendo game (in fact, it closely resembles the popular game Duck Hunt. . .Time Crisis."

It should be noted that the Time Crisis thing in this article is quoted from the same guy, Grossman. However, I think the fact that Duck Hunt was mentioned should also be noted in this rediculousness. But this whole section of the article was called The Nintendo Killers and this just blew my mind:

"“We’re getting killings which are caused by the use of Nintendo-style games, such as the game Pokémon, with children, and also with police and others. In the case of the Diallo shooting, the problem was that the Mayor of New York, like many other officials, has been training the police force in Nintendo-style killing techniques. . . . So we have Nintendo-killers."

Killings caused by Pokemon? I guess they mean kids killing kids to steal Pokemon cards or something, cause I don't think the actual game itself has been accused of causing a kid to kill. I certainly hope not. I think the fact they keep mentioning Nintendo in the same sentence with these killings bothers me more than anything else, because of the negative reputation Nintendo has for being "Kiddy", but maybe thats why they are using then Nintendo name. Or maybe they are so incredibly disconnected from the video game world that they are stuck in the time when people used to say Nintendo to refer to all video games.

I am glad I'm a gamer, so that if my children are into games, I'll definately play them with my kids. If I had a child, I'd let him or her play M-rated games when they are old enough, not when they are 12, if they wanted to play M-rated games at all. There are very few I feel like playing, myself. I don't think I'd ever ban them from Time Crisis or Duck Hunt or Dark Forces, though. I think the biggest problem I find is that those accusing games don't play them, and that parents of children don't actually pay attention to what games their kids buy and play. The parents also don't get involved in their children's interests. Whatever hobbies any child of mine will have, I will at least get involved in and understand why they like it, even if I'm not interested in it.

Definately check out the links if you read the main article. I didn't know about some of those arrests of kids mentioned at the bottom of the article. Those disgust me. Zero tolerance for a kid eating one french fry on public transportation?

EDIT: About the article, it was nice to see someone present proof that violence doesn't coincide with violent videogames.

Hungry Like the Wolf

[this message was edited by Hungrywolf on Fri 29 Jul 01:41]

OmegaDog
1540th Post

Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(2):About youth violence and video games..." , posted Fri 29 Jul 03:46post reply

There's actually also a nice little open letter to Senator Clinton that was printed by the LA Times. While the last line might've not been the best to end with -- the rest is pretty notable.

"SO... IT'S FLITZ TIME EVERYBODY!" || CCT: NEXT STAGE IS 21

Abster
159th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(3):About youth violence and video games..." , posted Fri 29 Jul 04:50post reply

Thank you.

Now if only there was a way to directly shoot the media with these facts so they don't make a big deal out of it.

There's no substitution for dedication. -TeamTNT-

Undead Fred
2454th Post

"Re(1):About youth violence and video games..." , posted Fri 29 Jul 11:26post reply

quote:
wow.

This article has inspired me to make a film like Reefer Madness, only about video game players.

Time Mage
2216th Post

"Re(1):About youth violence and video games..." , posted Fri 29 Jul 18:13post reply

quote:
wow.

Wow, pretty good article indeed. Clear, not nerdy, and direct. And very hard to refute. That's what should be presented to that senator.

Pollyanna
1265th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(2):About youth violence and video games..." , posted Sat 30 Jul 07:40post reply

Hey, I just thought of something. You know that totally boring Sega airline pilot simulator? Everyone...after a while, just got bored and attempted to crash the plane into a city. Could you crash it into the World Trade Center? I bet that game mysteriously disappeared from the world.

Undead Fred
2458th Post

"Re(3):About youth violence and video games..." , posted Sat 30 Jul 08:02post reply

quote:
Hey, I just thought of something. You know that totally boring Sega airline pilot simulator? Everyone...after a while, just got bored and attempted to crash the plane into a city. Could you crash it into the World Trade Center? I bet that game mysteriously disappeared from the world.

Ha ha! I forgot about that game... I remember trying it a long time ago and got so bored with it that I just got up and walked away.

THAT GAME IS A FACTORY FOR TERRORISTS

AND THE GRAND THEFT AUTO

Spoon
1186th Post

"Re(3):About youth violence and video games..." , posted Sat 30 Jul 11:35post reply

quote:

I dunno.

On the other hand, that pretty decent arcade-style dogfighting game for the DC actually DID get canned for a reason like this (you could crash your plane into skyscrapers... which were pretty significant terrain features in some of the arenas)... and the game was actually finished, as the iso release shows.

I wonder where they'll take this next... maybe the Densha de Go series will start getting banned because it can teach "anybody" too much about the japanese train system... and god knows what they might make of that bus driver game...