F$#^ing long games... - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (2075 Views )

Spoon
1170th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Red Carpet Premium Member+

"F$#^ing long games..." , posted Mon 25 Jul 12:40post reply

I want a game that is relatively short that I can go and beat and feel fulfilled about.

Right now all the games I have sitting around my house are games that will take from 20 to 40 plus hours to finish, and I'm just not in the mood for that right now.

Things that are pretty are preferable, but not required.

Replies:

Evenor
217th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(1):F$#^ing long games..." , posted Mon 25 Jul 14:49post reply

How about Space channel 5 part 2!?

Its short and everyone feels satisfied when they save the world with SUPER SexxXY DANCE MOVEZ!

肝臓入りのオレンジジュース!
腎臓混じりの甘口カレー!
膵臓仕込みのペスカトーレ!
愛しの愛しのサイコホラー

Pollyanna
1251th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(2):F$#^ing long games..." , posted Mon 25 Jul 16:09post reply

Is this limited to non-imports?

Yeah, Space Channel 5-2 was a pretty fun game. They never released it in America, did they?

Gojira
1792th Post

Silver Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(3):F$#^ing long games..." , posted Mon 25 Jul 16:20post reply

How short? I'm playing Haunting Grounds now, the game is pretty short but it's not a finish-in-one-sitting kind of short... more like about 8-10 hours.

quote:
Is this limited to non-imports?

Yeah, Space Channel 5-2 was a pretty fun game. They never released it in America, did they?

IIRC they released the PS2 version along with the first one as a collection.

Rid
6760th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(1):F$#^ing long games..." , posted Mon 25 Jul 19:08:post reply

Ikaruga, ESPGALUDA, Mushihimesama, Shikigami no Shiro II, Puyo Puyo Fever, Drill Spirits, Drill Land...

quote:
Space channel 5 part 2!?

*raises fanboy flag*

Everybody should get that game. Best Dreamcast game.

[this message was edited by Rid on Tue 26 Jul 03:31]

Kikkoken
938th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(2):F$#^ing long games..." , posted Mon 25 Jul 20:15post reply

Another Code (DS)

Ammadeau
1401th Post

"Re(1):F$#^ing long games..." , posted Mon 25 Jul 20:34post reply

Virtually any fighting game on the planet. Destroy all Humans! is also surprisingly short.

I personally don't hate long games since I almost never finish games as it is.

Ammadeau.net - My own personal waste of time.

Spoon
1172th Post

"Re(2):F$#^ing long games..." , posted Tue 26 Jul 03:31post reply

I'm not in the mood for fighting games since I've played so many so much...

Ikaruga I've already played a whole lot.
ESPgaluda ditto, somewhat less so.

How is mushihime? What are the systems like? Sometimes I tire of Cave shooters because they become more and more Donpachi-like in their style and bullet patterns...

Another Code isn't out in English. I'd play it if it were in a language I could understand.

Space Channel 5 Part 2: the amusing thing is that the past few days I've actually been looking for this game! A bit hard to find in retail outlets (new/used) for me... though I remember seeing tons of used copies in Berkeley's EB...

I'm trying to satisfy some urges by playing Shadowrun right now, dunno why that game...

Kikkoken
939th Post

"Re(3):F$#^ing long games..." , posted Tue 26 Jul 03:59post reply

You can import the European version of Another Code, it has the English language. But it should be released in the USA anytime now I presume.

Spoon
1174th Post

"Re(4):F$#^ing long games..." , posted Tue 26 Jul 04:08post reply

quote:
You can import the European version of Another Code, it has the English language.

!!!

NOBODY TOLD ME THIS
what's the quality of the translation?
are there any little things that add meaning to the experience that aren't translated? is there any speech, and if so, what language is that in?

Sensenic
1327th Post

"Re(5):F$#^ing long games..." , posted Tue 26 Jul 05:09post reply

On topic, I'll go with classics... Another World, Beneath a Steel Sky if you like adventures, it's freeware now (download from www.scummvm.com, I think). A small jewel.

And... I'll think of more. ^_^;
quote:
You can import the European version of Another Code, it has the English language.

!!!

NOBODY TOLD ME THIS
what's the quality of the translation?
are there any little things that add meaning to the experience that aren't translated? is there any speech, and if so, what language is that in?

Yeah, I'm interested too.

And, more important, does it have Japanese language option?

Za Peepaa Yomiko chan! -Nyoooon-

My philosophy professor was a flan Myself

exodus
2866th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(5):F$#^ing long games..." , posted Tue 26 Jul 05:12post reply

quote:

NOBODY TOLD ME THIS

heh. I talked all about this on other boards...here too I think.

translation is apparently fine, and the game takes 5 or 6 hours to beat, and is not hard. dunno about japanese option.

I'm not importing, since it's like $60 US before shipping, whereas the US version itself will be $30~40, and basically the same game.

I say get Beyond Good and Evil, which takes 8-10 hours, and is largely wonderful.

Spoon
1178th Post

"Re(6):F$#^ing long games..." , posted Tue 26 Jul 05:22post reply

quote:

NOBODY TOLD ME THIS

translation is apparently fine, and the game takes 5 or 6 hours to beat, and is not hard. dunno about japanese option.

I'm not importing, since it's like $60 US before shipping, whereas the US version itself will be $30~40, and basically the same game.

I say get Beyond Good and Evil, which takes 8-10 hours, and is largely wonderful.

I've actually been playing BG&E on my PC. It seems pretty good...

I beat Beneath a Steel Sky already... the plot didn't go the way I expected it to off of what I had heard and seen, but it was good.

Out of this World/Another World gave me super rage when I played it on the SNES. I don't think I can muster the discipline to defeat it.

I played Dororo up to somewhere in the 4th chapter... and then I checked a FAQ to see how many chapters there were... OMG. Dororo is crazy long.

Mog
385th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(3):F$#^ing long games..." , posted Tue 26 Jul 05:52post reply

quote:

How is mushihime? What are the systems like?

Excluding Original mode which plays more like Raiden, Mushihimesama feels a lot like Dodonpachi, expecially in its scoring system. It's good, but there may not be much in it for you if you're burnt out on DDP.

quote:

I'm trying to satisfy some urges by playing Shadowrun right now, dunno why that game...

SNES or Genesis?

Kikkoken
942th Post

"Re(4):F$#^ing long games..." , posted Tue 26 Jul 06:01post reply

There is no Japanese language option in the European version of Another Code, unfortunately.
Beyond Good & Evil is a very nice game indeed.

CHAZumaru
187th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(4):F$#^ing long games..." , posted Tue 26 Jul 06:42post reply

quote:

SNES or Genesis?

Or MEGA-CD !?

NOW IS TIME TO THE 68000 Z80 AND SH-2 HEART ON FIRE !!

Pollyanna
1252th Post

"Re(5):F$#^ing long games..." , posted Tue 26 Jul 06:46post reply

I'm having lots of fun with Sengoku Basara right now. So much fun, I was about to start a topic on it to give a more favorable impression than early demo reports gave (not that I blame people for thinking poorly of the game after only playing a level). If you like 3D beatemups (or think you could) and don't want to spend a lot of time, it's a great game. Actually, you can win the game in half an hour if you don't screw around and play on normal, but I find that I like the game more and more the more I win it.

Spoon
1180th Post

"Re(6):F$#^ing long games..." , posted Tue 26 Jul 17:21post reply

quote:

NOBODY TOLD ME THIS

I just went and beat BG&E. The ending parts were great. The game almost felt long at some points, but I'm glad I stuck with it... though the pretty visuals and nice audio might've kept me in anyway.

Spoiler (Highlight to view) -
I wonder just what happened at the end with the Domz overlord and Jade... it almost seemed like Jade either took control of the thing, or "came together" with it... But then, Pey'j has the Domz growth on him from being resurrected by Jade... so in fact, the source of the Domz is ultimately Jade, and by "giving them life", she turns them into Domz... I wonder what the Domz priest meant when he said that they gave Shauni a human form... I'm not sure whether or not I want a sequel to it.

End of Spoiler

quote:

MEGA-CD

I heard that it had a similar look to Snatcher...
...btw, I'm playing the SNES one. I tried the Genesis one, and it definitely seems like the better RPG, but something about the SNES one clicks with me, even though it's gameplay is by all rights THIN.

Mog
386th Post

Silver Customer

"Shadowrun hijack?" , posted Tue 26 Jul 18:25post reply

quote:

MEGA-CD

!!!

Now that you mention it though, I vaguely remember seeing a Sega CD Shadowrun in a magazine ages ago. Was it any good?

quote:

...btw, I'm playing the SNES one. I tried the Genesis one, and it definitely seems like the better RPG, but something about the SNES one clicks with me, even though it's gameplay is by all rights THIN.

Funny, I have the same opinion: the Genesis game is arguablely the better of the two, but for some unexplainable reason I preffer the SNES one. It's been awhile since I've played it though. Maybe I should pull it out again...

Ammadeau
1403th Post

"Re(1):Shadowrun hijack?" , posted Tue 26 Jul 20:16post reply

There's a nearly confirmed rumor that there will be a Shadowrun game for the 360 (already in development even), though it'll be an FPS, which I think is lame.

Ammadeau.net - My own personal waste of time.

CHAZumaru
188th Post

Regular Customer

"Shadowrun Mega CD" , posted Wed 27 Jul 00:27post reply

Hell, the MEGA CD version was the best one. Nothing to do with the SFC and MD versions. It was a RPG that included the dice rolls of the original Shadowrun, produced by Compile at the end of the Mega-CD's life. The adventure / mistery parts were indeed displayed in a Snatcher fashion, whereas moves on the world were displayed like a traditional 16-bit RPG and fights were foughts à la Shining Force II. It only came out in Japan, sadly.

There are screens on Mechakucha's excellent page.

NOW IS TIME TO THE 68000 Z80 AND SH-2 HEART ON FIRE !!

Spoon
1181th Post

"Re(2):Shadowrun hijack?" , posted Wed 27 Jul 04:54post reply

quote:
There's a nearly confirmed rumor that there will be a Shadowrun game for the 360 (already in development even), though it'll be an FPS, which I think is lame.

Yeah, I've heard that one too.
It might be good. I don't know.
It also might just turn into a Deus Ex clone, which would suck.

quote:

MEGA-CD shadowrun

I've never had the systems explained to me in that way... that's REALLY interesting. I've only ever seen screenies of the game. Shame that it only came out in japan... what I wonder though is... since when did japanese companies ever pick up western RPG systems?