So anyone play Makai Kingdom yet? - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (1986 Views )

Radish
2962th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"So anyone play Makai Kingdom yet?" , posted Wed 20 Jul 22:46post reply

Well it's coming out in the US in about a week so I thought I'd ask if any has seen the Japanese version. I want to love Nippon Ichi games because of the character designs, but other than Disgaea, I just can't.

This game looks neat with all the character classes, vehicles and houses. Plus the characters are a step up from the unlikable losers that were in Phantom Brave. However I've heard that this is like PB where the fights end up just being a mess of troops in the center of the map trading hits. Also apparently the plot is crummy and focuses on the boring and one dimensional main character.

I don't really want to waste my money on this like I did with Phantom Brave, so I was wondering if these impressions I've heard are true and this is just more of the same. In my experience Nippon Ichi just hides boring gameplay underneath power leveling and needlessly complicated stat systems. It was tolerable in Disgaea because of the goofy stuff going on, Atlus’s voice acting and PRINNIES (yes I know this game has them too).

Replies:

Pollyanna
1248th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(1):So anyone play Makai Kingdom yet?" , posted Thu 21 Jul 01:42post reply

quote:
Well it's coming out in the US in about a week so I thought I'd ask if any has seen the Japanese version. I want to love Nippon Ichi games because of the character designs, but other than Disgaea, I just can't.

This game looks neat with all the character classes, vehicles and houses. Plus the characters are a step up from the unlikable losers that were in Phantom Brave. However I've heard that this is like PB where the fights end up just being a mess of troops in the center of the map trading hits. Also apparently the plot is crummy and focuses on the boring and one dimensional main character.

I don't really want to waste my money on this like I did with Phantom Brave, so I was wondering if these impressions I've heard are true and this is just more of the same. In my experience Nippon Ichi just hides boring gameplay underneath power leveling and needlessly complicated stat systems. It was tolerable in Disgaea because of the goofy stuff going on, Atlus’s voice acting and PRINNIES (yes I know this game has them too).

I had a lot to say about this game months ago when it came out, but I suppose that you've forgotten it all by now (which is perfectly reasonable). The bottom line is, it's better than Phantom Brave in every aspect except the music. The soundtrack, excluding perhaps 2 or 3 songs, is rather poor.

The characters, despite being one-dimensional, are quite enjoyable, and you've already had enough laughs by the time the plot goes to hell.

I found the system, on the whole, more enjoyable and less convoluted than Phantom Brave. Actually, I can say the same for Disgaea.

But the thing is, if you think Nippon Ichi games have bad systems and you're only interested in the plot/characters, then don't touch the game. I enjoyed the plot scenes for about 2/3 of Phantom Kingdom, but that is no reason to buy the game.

If your opinion of Disgaea's plot and characters is THAT high, though, then my opinion doesn't really apply. I found every character in Disgaea to be irritating, even detestable, by the end. The game had definite charm at the beginning, but gave it all up for cheap drama and idiotic writing.

Ammadeau
1398th Post

"Re(1):So anyone play Makai Kingdom yet?" , posted Thu 21 Jul 02:02post reply

Pass on MK and hunt down a copy of La Pucelle instead. I think you'll like it better, and it happens to be a better game, imo. Makai Kingdom is a mess in every sense of the word. I've had a pre-release copy of the english version even before E3 and I've barely touched it... and I've put a 100 hours into LP, Dis, and Phantom Brave each.

At least in Phantom Brave I was using story characters and I had a goal of making the ultimate weapon. MK there's no point to play unless you want to invest a lot of time to finally unlock the non-created characters.

Ammadeau.net - My own personal waste of time.

Ishmael
2105th Post

"Re(2):So anyone play Makai Kingdom yet?" , posted Thu 21 Jul 02:34post reply

quote:
Pass on MK and hunt down a copy of La Pucelle instead. I think you'll like it better, and it happens to be a better game, imo.

MK makes La Pucelle look good by comparison? Yikes.

Radish
2965th Post

"Re(3):So anyone play Makai Kingdom yet?" , posted Thu 21 Jul 02:48:post reply

quote:
Pass on MK and hunt down a copy of La Pucelle instead. I think you'll like it better, and it happens to be a better game, imo.
MK makes La Pucelle look good by comparison? Yikes.

Seriously. I have La Pucelle but never finished it since I hit a spike in the dificulty and really didn't care enough to go back and level.

Guess I'll have to skip this one then since it doesn't sound like anything spectacular. Phantom Brave is availible for less than $20 new online now so I don't think I'll have to worry about getting a copy if I ever decide to try it.

This leaves me with money to buy Harvest Moon Girl's Side.

[this message was edited by Radish on Thu 21 Jul 02:55]

Mosquiton
1661th Post

Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(2):So anyone play Makai Kingdom yet?" , posted Thu 21 Jul 04:58:post reply

quote:
Pass on MK and hunt down a copy of La Pucelle instead. I think you'll like it better, and it happens to be a better game, imo. Makai Kingdom is a mess in every sense of the word. I've had a pre-release copy of the english version even before E3 and I've barely touched it... and I've put a 100 hours into LP, Dis, and Phantom Brave each.

At least in Phantom Brave I was using story characters and I had a goal of making the ultimate weapon. MK there's no point to play unless you want to invest a lot of time to finally unlock the non-created characters.

La Pucelle is actually my least-favorite Nippon Ichi title. I'm not claiming I'm a Nippon Ichi expert or anythingm, I've maybe put maybe 100 hours into all their games combined (and I never played Phantom Brave anyway), but though LP is quite cool in principle I found it pretty damn tedious.

Makai Kingdom is fun but sloppy, and has all the same hang-ups as past N1 games. The actual battle strategy is basically attack first and kill in one hit, but I'd also say it's not really that time consuming unless you want it to be.

If I were to recommend one N1 game to someone who'd never played them... well, I'd probably pick Makai Kingdom just because it seems to require the least effort to get into... even though it kind of assumes familiarity with some of their past titles.

Edit!: But for Radish, I'd say don't bother. I got a few laughs, but Prinny's have a very minor role and big dramatic 180 at the end that is really hard to appreciate.

/ / /

[this message was edited by Mosquiton on Thu 21 Jul 05:04]

Black_hayato
142th Post

Regular Customer

"Generation of Chaos" , posted Thu 21 Jul 07:46post reply

Wait for Chaos Generation. It looks to have a mature story, and real time squad/formation based battles like Dragon Force but on a smaller scale (30X30). With the added bonus of previous Ich sub-systems.

It may be one of the few titles worth getting a psp for.

kurushimi
86th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(1):Generation of Chaos" , posted Thu 21 Jul 10:51post reply

quote:
Wait for Chaos Generation. It looks to have a mature story, and real time squad/formation based battles like Dragon Force but on a smaller scale (30X30). With the added bonus of previous Ich sub-systems.

It may be one of the few titles worth getting a psp for.

One year's a pretty damn long wait.

Pollyanna
1250th Post

"Re(2):Generation of Chaos" , posted Fri 22 Jul 05:27post reply

La Pucelle is my favorite Nippon Ichi game, but that doesn't make it the best. I thought the system was pretty sloppy and it seemed less professional than their later releases. If they made a new game that used a reworked system, it might be really excellent Of course thety also can't totally blow the story and create characters that I gradually hate more and more. (La Pucelle was about half and half on this)

On an unrelated note, not having "plot characters" to use didn't bother me in Phantom Kingdom, since it gave me incentive to keep playing later and...well, I hated the plot characters in Phantom Brave. So, I'd rather have well-designed generic characters than plot characters I hate with a passion. I'm not commending them or saying anything is preferable, I'm just saying that it didn't bother me.