Samurai Spirits Tenka Location Test Report - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (8339 Views )

KTallguy
674th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Samurai Spirits Tenka Location Test Report" , posted Sun 10 Jul 13:32post reply

Holy crap, I'm exhausted. It's raining like crazy tonight... (now that was yesterday and it's afternoon here as I'm posting this)

The test in Akihabara was f*cking great. Let’s start with initial impressions.

First off, I walked in and there was a big TV screen in the game center. Under that screen was a huge sign, saying 撮影禁止(NO PICTURES). Sorry guys, I really wanted to take some footage.

The first thing that I noticed were the backgrounds to the stages. They are bright and colorful, and have lots of animation. Nejibako's backgrounds are also nice, and very detailed, but SupiTenka is maybe a little more eye catching. I can distinctly remember what some of the stages look like: there's one in a kind of native town, one that's in America, a Texas like town (maybe Earthquake's stage?), one is in New England and features American looking monuments, and of course you have your very Japanese looking ones. There's even one that takes place on a raft, with nice looking water. There is always a judge present, and he basically does everything the judge in SS2 did, like throwing confetti and holding his flags up and whatnot. I'm glad the judge is back. If you activate the items, there's also a guy that runs behind in the background and throws them into play.

The graphics are really nice. I think Imoya is really putting a lot of effort into this game, even more than Nejibako (although I think Nejibako looks good). The sprites are 90% good and 10% so-so. Some of the sprites could use a little work, IMO. Earthquake needs work.... but overall the game looks really good. All of the special effects (hit effects, fireballs, etc) look nice, even nicer than Nejibako in some situations. Menus are sharp. Character art is beautiful! It looks so nice! Maybe it's not as stylized as SS0S, but it really fits the games light-hearted feel. This game feels quite lighthearted compared to the darker Nejibako, I think. The character that wins has a nice, large picture of them emblazed on the screen at the end, and Hanzo’s picture looks sweet! Haha, my favorite character is Hanzo… so.

I'll talk about the system a little bit now. This system is much much much more complicated than Nejibako, because of the 'Spirit Select', where you can pick one out of 6 spirits that change the way you play. So I don't know too much, but I'll say what I noticed. I also am looking at some Japanese sites to clarify/confirm what I saw. When you see (?) that means I’m making an assumption based on what I saw but I’m not too sure…

For every spirit, a few things are the same. You always will have a life bar, a sword meter, and a power gauge (used for super attacks).

Buttons are layed out like this.

①②③ 1 2 3
④ ⑤ 4 5

Depending on the spirit you choose, stuff will work a little differently, but they all seem to have these commands in common.

1 - a weak slash
2 - b medium slash
3 - c hard slash
4 - d kick
5 - e 'special' button

AD - Pick up item off the ground. (Includes items thrown from the background and your weapon if you drop it. You can pick up bombs and throw them at your enemy!)

BC - Throw (guard crusher)

E - Depends on the spirit chosen.

I'll try to explain the 'spirits' now...

怒 - Ikari(Rage) Spirit - Brute strength. Your sword meter is very huge. However you seem to drain it faster when you attack. This might appeal to fans of the old old school SS, because it's all about good timing and killing in 2-3 hits. This mode has none of the evasive properties of the other modes, save for one attack. By hitting AB, a blue spark will appear on your weapon for an instant, and then you will do a huge slash that drains your entire sword bar. If the enemy is attacking and you time that blue spark with their attack, you will attack through their attack (I think you might still take damage though). The attack's strength depends on the character, obviously, but I saw anywhere from 1/2 life to 2/5th life. You get power bar by blocking hits and getting hit. Simple system, it seems like you have to play much slower than the other systems. When your bar is full it starts to drain quite fast and you have a limited time to do a super. You also get stronger. One thing interesting to note, when you're knocked down your bar doesn't drain at all; it only drains when you have complete control of your character (this applied to all 'spirits'). Super move is quarter circle forward AB.

真 - Shin(Truth) Spirit

In this mode you have dodging that is similar to Samurai Spirits Zero Special, but you cannot jump forward. All of this is done with the E button, and is virtually identical to the commands in Zero Special. E by itself is a hop in place, back and E is a slightly backwards hop. Down and E is a low duck that evades all high attacks. Down-forward and down-backward plus E allow you to roll forwards or backwards, evading some high attacks. The super move, done by a half circle forward and AB, will break the opponent's weapon (while in other modes the weapon is just knocked out of their hands). They cannot recover it immediately, but after a set period of time it is thrown back into play where the other player has a chance to pick it up again. This mode wasn't picked often and I am not sure about details. I'm trying to find Japanese forums explaining more in detail, if anyone knows a site give me a link.

斬 - Kiri (Killing) Spirit

This spirit is a little different. Pressing E will allow you to dodge into the background, similar to the S groove in CapSNK2. Forward and E allows you to swing around to the back of your opponent, ala SS3. It looks like a pretty safe move, but I’m sure you can be thrown out of it. You can also guard in mid-air by pressing E in mid-air (crazy!). The gauge drains very quickly when filled, but you can continue doing super moves until it runs out. In this mode, you can also charge your bar yourself by holding AB, it seems. Interesting system. Certain characters can charge their bar very fast, others slower (?), for example Enja filled his in less than 3 seconds ^_^ Super move is quarter circle forward AB. I believe that in this mode, when your bar fills completely, you automatically stand still, do a small taunt, during which you cannot be hit at all (attacks pass right through you), after which your bar starts to drain. I can’t remember if it was this particular one though.

天 – Ten (Heaven) Spirit

This is the combo heavy spirit, taking elements from Samurai Spirits 4. It has the same dodging system as the Kiri Spirit, it seems. Pressing AB does the combo slash from SS4. You can chain it in different ways. Some ways knock down the opponent, other ways allow you to attach special moves to the end. There is a lot of freedom but it is essentially a ‘dial a combo’ system (that doesn’t make it boring to watch though…the harder links look quite difficult to do). The reach depends on the character, and some characters have more reach than others, but the AB slash is relatively fast. You must hit the opponent to do the combo, i.e. they can’t block. Pressing ABC allows you to do a rage explosion, which knocks the enemy back. It seems like it can interrupt anything. The character looks like they are being shocked with red lightning and the other character is slightly pushed back. The timer stops while in Rage mode, and your power bar slowly clicks down. ABC again gives you Issen(a dashing, one hit attack), which can be comboed, is fast, and does a lot of damage! It’s also very stylish. Once Issen is used once, your bar becomes gray and cannot be filled again. Super move is (still) quarter circle forward AB. When the gauge is filled, it drains much slower than the Rage or Killing Spirits, but also it depends on the character.

零 – Rei (Zero) Spirit

Basically exactly the same as SSZeroSpecial’s system. Exactly the same dodging system. In SS0 dodging, forward + E is a forward hop avoiding attacks, E by itself is a hop in place, back and E is a slightly backwards hop. Down and E is a low duck that evades all high attacks. Down-forward and down-backward plus E allow you to roll forwards or backwards, evading some high attacks. Meditation is done with AB. Seems similar to SS0, where different characters gain more bar through meditation. Rage explosion works like the Heaven Spirit, with the same animation, same input (ABC), but unlike Heaven mode, you can use it in the next stage again. Time stops here as well. I don’t know what you can do after Rage explosion. I believe with the Zero spirit you can also do the weapon parry. It leaves the opponent VERY open. When your disarmed and do it, the opponent is also disarmed. Very cool looking now… I don’t know if the command changed. The slow motion mode is back and everything turns black and white except for the player who activated it. This mode is activated with DE, and while in it, ABC is Issen. You can only use Issen once before your bar is useless, I believe.

剣 – Ken (Sword) Spirit

This mode is very different, with a parry like system. Down + E dodges high attacks, back and E low attacks, and I think just pressing E will dodge jumping attacks (?). When you make a successful dodge, the whole background turns black and white for a half second (don’t worry, it looks cool) and there is a hit effect, and it feels very similar to a parry from SF3. Also, there is another super bar superimposed over your life bar that rises. When that bar starts flashing, you can do a new type of super move called秘奥義 the ‘Secret of Justice’. This move is like a secondary super move for every character and it does a lot of damage, but you have to parry a lot in order to do it. There is also a thing called Perfect Guard(完全ガード)which can parry super moves and other huge attacks completely, but I have a feeling that it takes that new super bar to use it… the Perfect Guard uses AB to activate it. I have no idea how it works, but I think I saw it once.

The regular power gauge rises as you attack—in other modes it rises as you take damage only (?), and of course you have your regular super move. Oh also, when your bar fills in this mode it doesn’t count down at all, it just stays full.

Dang, that’s a lot of system. I hope they can balance it!

I’ll talk about the characters I can remember clearly just a bit… there are too many to talk about all of them. Like over 40. A lot of them went unused.

Hanzo – his art is bad ass. His strong command throw looks sick, as he flies up in the air really fast, and comes down at a high speed. Does nice damage, but he has a small delay after he lands where he fixes his scarf, or something (prevent rushdown?). His teleports are all intact but the positioning changed for the better, you are in a better position to use a follow up attack, it seems. I used him once and I enjoyed it very much.

Cham-Cham – Sprite and sounds were updated. Looks nice, all the old moves are intact. Very cute and picked quite a bit, second only to…

Inoha – Holy crap, the ultimate fanservice character. Her super is a throw, when it connects a huge paper screen drops down, she strips her clothes off and slashes you a bunch of times, leans back with her boobs in the air like she’s praying on the ground, and slashes you again before it ends. Has two hook sword looking things, almost like Talim from Soul Calibur. Although very fanservicy, also seems like a deep character, with air and ground fireballs (they look like little paper airplanes) that move kind of slow but can be aimed in different directions. She also has a spinning attack in the air like May from GGXX (guruguru attack!). I think 1 out of 2 people in the game center lining up to play picked her. Her artwork is 1/3 her face and 2/3 cleavage. I can’t emphasize enough how fanservicy this character is.

Robot Guy – Cool! Uses buzzsaws, has a throw where the opponent becomes part of a chibi puppet show. Is really slow in mid-air but there is a small platform on wheels that launches him into the air. This platform can spin and attack while he is in the air, so it’s an interesting mix-up. Looks very powerful in the right hands.

Enja – People were trying to pull off his death combo but no one could get it right. I wanted to see the damage…

Charlotte – Looks very strong. Has a rose taunt, where she throws a rose in the air that is similar to Dudley in SF3. I think it’s a little unbalanced because you can only block it high, and your opponent can then sweep you and repeat. If you block low then he can combo you when the rose hits. I hope that they fix it. Overall she looks strong. Can combo her throw move.

Big guy with the Cannon – Sprite looks a little eh, but it gets the job done. Can scoop the opponent into his cannon and fire them out. Can also fly on his cannon like it’s a rocket. Many people were using him. Combos looked pretty strong. I didn’t see the firing move that takes a long time to prepare. The best part about him is that when he wins, his daughter jumps in and says Papa Kakooiii!! (You’re so cool dad!) It’s cute.

Nicotine – One person was using him. Has a nice combo where after linking his little shadow combo he can pull you in with his cane. Other than that I don’t know. Sprite looks fine.

Seiger – Seiger!! He was very cool. His big arm/shooting attack does 12 hits all the way across the screen but has super lag after it’s complete. Has a combo where he hits you in the air, catches you and does a backbreaker. After breaking your back he laughs for a second. It elicited laughs from the entire audience, which is impressive in Japan. Sprite is huge and very well done.

Guy with the Beads – His throw still does a lot of damage. Almost half life.

Kusarigedo – They changed his voice. He really sounds like he’s throwing up when he does his vomit move now. I saw him killing a lot of people. No run, but kind of forms a ball and hops forward instead when you dash. His throw still does about half life.

Kazami – has a new attack like Liu Kang from Mortal Kombat, where he jumps on you and kicks you a bunch of times. It looks cool,

Mina – Used her once. Gone are her charge moves. They are replaced with half circle moves. Weak slash fires a barrage forward, strong slash fires after an automatic jump in the air. Her ‘hop over the enemy’s head, fire an arrow’ move is nerfed considerably, she can’t jump very far at all, only right next to the enemy. She has new ways to use the arrows you shoot into the sky but I died before figuring it out…

Guy with the big Mallet – He can heal himself just like in SS0 but not for that much. Seems strong in the right hands. Helpers are strong but maybe he himself isn’t. He can use the gun as a regular move and even combo it, but it doesn’t do that much damage.

Andrew – Guy with the rifle. He’s kind of hmm… not as bad looking as I expected but not that great of a design. I really don’t know how he plays but he didn’t look so bad.

Mizuki – Her moves are changed around a lot. She seems faster, but more vulnerable with the ‘demon flying out of her skirt’ move not blocking the enemy for very long.

Rimururu – Seems very strong, and has nice links to her super ice attacks.

Nakoruru – I almost wish they used the new Nejibako sprite, but she still looks fine.

Gaoh – Seems harder to use and link stuff than in SS0S, but overall still strong enough.

Ukyo – Has a new move that looks like Moriya and Yamazaki’s whipping move. Long lag at the end. Looks badass how he sheaths his sword at the end of the move differently.

Ukyo female clone – Saw someone winning big time with her. Has the air fireball and a version of Ukyo’s new whipping move that hits differently, but looks no less cooler.

Ok, I’m tired. Let me know if you want any specifics about characters, I’ll tell you what I remember...

Proud Supporter of Next Generation GAMEPLAY
"テメエがヤクブソクなんだよ!"

Replies:

Spoon
1122th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member+

"Re(1):Samurai Spirits Tenka Location Test Rep" , posted Sun 10 Jul 13:48post reply

Nice nice info. Unfortunately the absence of blood dulls my eroguro thrills when dealing with Cham Cham.

the "Shin" groove sounds... really garbage. I hope there's a lot more to it.

Abster
110th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(1):Samurai Spirits Tenka Location Test Rep" , posted Sun 10 Jul 13:54post reply

Was Gen-an's sprite updated at all?

Did Cham Cham gain any new moves?

I bet the blood is still out. I still can't see a SS game without it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v311/Abster316/dedication3.gif [Image Attached]

There's no substitution to dedication

KTallguy
675th Post

"Re(2):Samurai Spirits Tenka Location Test Rep" , posted Sun 10 Jul 13:56post reply

quote:
Nice nice info. Unfortunately the absence of blood dulls my eroguro thrills when dealing with Cham Cham.

the "Shin" groove sounds... really garbage. I hope there's a lot more to it.

No blood, but I didn't miss it at all actually... we can leave that to the fan artists...

The Shin spirit, hmm ... I believe you can also turn into a Chibi version of your character, but I have no idea what it does/means. The person did some command, there was a puff of smoke, a chibi version appeared, and then disappeared.

Again, I saw it with my own eyes but I have no idea what it means...

The ability to break your opponent's weapon seemed quite powerful though, except certain character are strong without their weapon =P

"テメエがヤクブソクなんだよ!"

Abster
111th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(3):Samurai Spirits Tenka Location Test Rep" , posted Sun 10 Jul 13:58post reply

Fucking a! I told you SNKP was gonna puss out on any blood in this game. What assholes...

On another note, did anyone manage to attain the full 14 slash combo in SS4's mode?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v311/Abster316/dedication3.gif [Image Attached]

KTallguy
677th Post

"Re(4):Samurai Spirits Tenka Location Test Rep" , posted Sun 10 Jul 14:02:post reply

quote:

On another note, did anyone manage to attain the full 14 slash combo in SS4's mode?

I didn't see anyone get a 14 hitter, I think...

Addition: Please keep the discussion about the inclusion/exclusion of blood in the other two threads. Thanks =)

Missed your earlier questions:

Gen-an is definately updated. I didn't see him being used at all, however... I saw someone playing against him on the computer end. He looks nice enough. Gen-anish. I personally liked his Piller weapon the most but... his new weapon is fine.

I'm sure Cham Cham has at least one move but I didn't see any at all... her 2 command throws do a lot of damage though. Both the flying one and the ground one.

"テメエがヤクブソクなんだよ!"

[this message was edited by KTallguy on Sun 10 Jul 14:16]

Red Falcon
5561th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(5):Samurai Spirits Tenka Location Test Rep" , posted Sun 10 Jul 14:17:post reply

quote:

I personally liked his Piller weapon the most but... his new weapon is fine.

Uh.. you mean Wan-Fu? :D Gen-An is the goblinish fellow with the azami claw.

Anyway, glad to hear some new info... and the SD transformations are in Shin Samu as well, and they don't do anything at all, they're just funny/cute. I'm AMAZED they brought those back!

Edit: Ah, yes! The "slash" move of Ukyo's. That's from Asura Zanmaden, his rasetsu had it. Does the "high" version still do almost twice as much damage as the low one?

Best site EVER:Link Here

[this message was edited by Red Falcon on Sun 10 Jul 14:23]

Abster
113th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(5):Samurai Spirits Tenka Location Test Rep" , posted Sun 10 Jul 14:23:post reply

quote:

I didn't see anyone get a 14 hitter, I think...

Addition: Please keep the discussion about the inclusion/exclusion of blood in the other two threads. Thanks =)

Missed your earlier questions:

Gen-an is definately updated. I didn't see him being used at all, however... I saw someone playing against him on the computer end. He looks nice enough. Gen-anish. I personally liked his Piller weapon the most but... his new weapon is fine.

I'm sure Cham Cham has at least one move but I didn't see any at all... her 2 command throws do a lot of damage though. Both the flying one and the ground one.

Uh, you're confusing Gen-an with Wan-Fu. Wan-Fu is the Chinese freak formerly with the pillar. I'm talking about the green guy with the claw.

Nice to see the chibi dolls return in SS2 mode. Are the pursuit attacks from SS4 and 5 in their respective modes too?

I'm sorry, I can't ignore their arrogance regarding the blood. I would've thought they put it in by now, but they look to ignore any queries regarding its inclusion.

Does Iroha have a massive bounce in her stance as per say Mai? What do you see of her when she rips her clothes off in her super? Is it a behind shot or a style similar to Lilith from Vampire?

[this message was edited by Abster on Sun 10 Jul 14:29]

KTallguy
677th Post

"Re(6):Samurai Spirits Tenka Location Test Rep" , posted Sun 10 Jul 14:41post reply

quote:

I'm sorry, I can't ignore their arrogance regarding the blood. I would've thought they put it in by now, but they look to ignore any queries regarding its inclusion.

I'm sorry too, but I won't have you turning this thread into another discussion about the blood issue. I'll simply delete the thread if you're going to keep talking about it.

quote:

Uh.. you mean Wan-Fu? :D Gen-An is the goblinish fellow with the azami claw.

Oops... yea I mixed them up. Gen-An... I barely saw a hint of him. I saw the computer using him on the VS CPU cabinet. He looked updated but I didn't see any moves or anything.

I don't know much about the damage on Ukyo's slash move... I only saw someone using it against the computer.

quote:

Does Iroha have a massive bounce in her stance as per say Mai? What do you see of her when she rips her clothes off in her super? Is it a behind shot or a style similar to Lilith from Vampire?

Nah, it's not that pronounced. She does bounce up and down on one leg like Kyoshiro (I think that's the Kabuki guy). You just see a silhouette of her from a side view. It's fan servicy enough for me =) I'm just glad she has some sort of depth to her. I think when she wins she yells at the opponent for using violence or something... =P

"テメエがヤクブソクなんだよ!"

YeldellGW
467th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(5):Samurai Spirits Tenka Location Test Rep" , posted Sun 10 Jul 14:45post reply

quote:

Having read this, I wonder if Galford's Strike Heads does any damage now...

Don't suppose they finally removed the enhanced version of Gaira's command throw either, did they?

I'm really getting sick of taunts that hit having read what they did with Charlotte.

Don't like the idea of Mina without charge moves. She was annoying enough when she did have that restriction. And this series could use more charge moves in generally.

KTallguy
679th Post

"Re(6):Samurai Spirits Tenka Location Test Rep" , posted Sun 10 Jul 14:53post reply

quote:

I'm really getting sick of taunts that hit having read what they did with Charlotte.

Well, the SNK guys saw one guy with a huge win streak using that technique, so I'm sure they'll fix it. There were a lot of people there taking heavy notes.

"テメエがヤクブソクなんだよ!"

Abster
114th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(7):Samurai Spirits Tenka Location Test Rep" , posted Sun 10 Jul 15:21post reply

quote:

I'm sorry too, but I won't have you turning this thread into another discussion about the blood issue. I'll simply delete the thread if you're going to keep talking about it.

Nah, it's not that pronounced. She does bounce up and down on one leg like Kyoshiro (I think that's the Kabuki guy). You just see a silhouette of her from a side view. It's fan servicy enough for me =) I'm just glad she has some sort of depth to her. I think when she wins she yells at the opponent for using violence or something... =P

Don't be picky! I don't feel like aging a several week old thread just based on the same argument, but in respect for this conversation staying off the subject I keep bringing up I'll toss it onto the other one.

Iroha sounds fun to play, and definitely fanservice, and it's kinda funny when she talks about using violence when she's got 2 blades of her own to do damage with.

Good to at least hear that Gen-an was updated. It seems that way with returning characters. I hope they gave him his more eerie SS4-5 ending look.

I wonder if Cham Cham's despiration move (in the ikari spirit I think) is her monkey gang attack from Korin Special?

Stifu
203th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(8):Samurai Spirits Tenka Location Test Rep" , posted Sun 10 Jul 17:22post reply

Earthquake's sprite looking bad... I'm definitely not surprised. That's what you get for recycling SS2 sprites.

Anyway, thanks for the report, that was interesting...

NARUTO
3143th Post

"Re(9):Samurai Spirits Tenka Location Test Rep" , posted Sun 10 Jul 18:43post reply

So the game is shaping up nicely...
Glad to see that Iroha is more than Fan service, and Ochamaru sounds a bit like Anakaris...Can't wait to try it...

We are all mad at some point....

Phoenix
809th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(10):Samurai Spirits Tenka Location Test Re" , posted Sun 10 Jul 22:42post reply

I'm surprised to hear that the art, backgrounds (voices, music) are so nice. And that goes for NGBC, Tenka, and KOFXI...go fig. Very grateful for your reports. I think the festival atmosphere goes perfectly with the SS2 elements being back and everything. 6 grooves like in CVS2 eh? That just means there's gonna be that much more stuff to learn later. Best wishes with the balancing.

Shingo The One
587th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"YES! KOFXI in November!" , posted Sun 10 Jul 23:04post reply

quote:
Glad to see that Iroha is more than Fan service.Can't wait...

Well well, it seems that The King Of Fighters XI will not be out early as thought.According to gamefront.de, the so not new Guilty Gear game will be out in two months time, and it only means that the new episode in The King Of Fighters franchise will be released in November.Finally, good things finally got some good news.

There is a difference between doing it FIRST and doing it RIGHT.

Ishmael
2091th Post

"Re(1):Samurai Spirits Tenka Location Test Rep" , posted Mon 11 Jul 02:57post reply

Thanks for the report! Having that many "spirits" scares me a little -on some recent games SNKP seemed to be struggling to get balance with games that only featured one game style- but any potential problems sound like they will be balanced out by the fun stuff in the game.

Saiki
184th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(2):Samurai Spirits Tenka Location Test Rep" , posted Mon 11 Jul 15:29post reply

thx for the report KTtallguy. Has Rera been changed much in Tenka?

KTallguy
684th Post

"Re(3):Samurai Spirits Tenka Location Test Rep" , posted Mon 11 Jul 16:04post reply

quote:
thx for the report KTtallguy. Has Rera been changed much in Tenka?

Barely saw her... but I hope she got some new stuff. She's too simple ins SSOS... IMO

"テメエがヤクブソクなんだよ!"

rook
44th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(4):Samurai Spirits Tenka Location Test Rep" , posted Tue 12 Jul 00:37post reply

thx for the info... good stuff :)

Iggy
6852th Post

"Settei apocalypse" , posted Wed 13 Jul 06:49post reply

After Rimu and Nako not really sisters, Ken samu has a new WTF settei in store : Suijasama and Enjatan are Unpi's pupils.

Also, I think Ochamaro knows Enjatan (he appears to know he has been sealed centuries ago, though it may really be just basic monster hunter knowledge. Ochamaro is not very old).

ねんがんの ネ申ゲーをてにいれたぞ!

Abster
131th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(1):Settei apocalypse" , posted Wed 13 Jul 07:29post reply

quote:
After Rimu and Nako not really sisters, Ken samu has a new WTF settei in store : Suijasama and Enjatan are Unpi's pupils.

Also, I think Ochamaro knows Enjatan (he appears to know he has been sealed centuries ago, though it may really be just basic monster hunter knowledge. Ochamaro is not very old).

Whoa. That to go along with Enja and Suija being fathers to Kazuki and Sogetsu. Where does this game take place in the series btw? I heard it takes place before SS0.

KTallguy
686th Post

"Re(2):Settei apocalypse" , posted Wed 13 Jul 08:39post reply

Thought it was just a dream match Matsuri thingie!?

"テメエがヤクブソクなんだよ!"

Abster
132th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(2):Settei apocalypse" , posted Wed 13 Jul 08:55post reply

I thought so too, but I heard recently that this game takes place before SS0.

Cain Highwind
577th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(3):Settei apocalypse" , posted Wed 13 Jul 15:33post reply

quote:
I thought so too, but I heard recently that this game takes place before SS0.

I was sure I heard it was after SS0 and before the original SS. But I don't know.

Iggy
6853th Post

"Re(4):Settei apocalypse" , posted Wed 13 Jul 16:23post reply

The game never takes place. It's a dream match. It's not supposed to fit in any continuity.

The settei appear in the dialogs.

ねんがんの ネ申ゲーをてにいれたぞ!

Abster
135th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(5):Settei apocalypse" , posted Wed 13 Jul 16:40post reply

quote:
The game never takes place. It's a dream match. It's not supposed to fit in any continuity.

hmmmm. I wonder why it's part of the main series then? It will be called Samurai Shodown 6 in the states, as Neogamez left behind an english flyer for it.

Iggy
6854th Post

"Re(6):Settei apocalypse" , posted Wed 13 Jul 17:23post reply

quote:
It will be called Samurai Shodown 6 in the states

In the where ?

ねんがんの ネ申ゲーをてにいれたぞ!

kofoguz
71th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(5):Settei apocalypse" , posted Wed 13 Jul 22:08post reply

quote:

Iggy, What does "settei" mean?

here is kapadokya/cappadocia
Link Here.php?main=4&sub=1
and pamukkale
Link Here

Hi from Türkiye

Iggy
6856th Post

"Re(6):Settei apocalypse" , posted Thu 14 Jul 01:28post reply

quote:
Iggy, What does "settei" mean?

Settei is pretty much a fancy word to say "scenario".
Except it points at something much wider than just the scenario. It's the whole background of the character, what he did during the games, out of the games, but also the list about the character (SNK loves those : the list can feature the birth date, birth place, name of the pets, favourite food, kind of women / men, etc). I used the word "setting" on my construction worker review, but it's unfit, and I never found a word in english to say it properly.
Generally speaking, the settei are not really developped within the game, you have to look for them and build them from stories on the official site, details in guides, etc.

Which is why most settei ota prefer fighting games, especially Namco ones. The Souledge/Calibur series has the best universe ever created. SNK's universe being most of the time absolute crap, there's no real interest in those beside character-specific details (for example, what makes Shermie one of the best characters ever created is not her chest, her way of talking or her fighting style, but her settei which includes those 3 points and many other things).
Capcom fighters usually don't have a lot of interesting stuff, so they are out of the competition (well, except in the US where some dummies try to make each and every Capcom game fitting in the same continuity).

Amongst the RPG, Saga games, especially the Romancing series, are gold for settei ota because of the incredible details used to build each world. Most of these don't interfere with the player, because you have to be the one making the current story ; you have to read each book in the library, talk to everyone, and read the guides to find out who did what 769 years ago and what repercutions it had on the events 100 years later, and so on.

ねんがんの ネ申ゲーをてにいれたぞ!

kofoguz
72th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(7):Settei apocalypse" , posted Thu 14 Jul 06:46post reply

That was enlightening. Thanks Iggy, you're the one.

quote:
Capcom fighters usually don't have a lot of interesting stuff, so they are out of the competition...

Like Ryu, for example?
He IS dull and lame. Sorry Sano but its true. He sucks ass, badly.Very badly.

"prepares to defence the attacks of Ryu fanboy(s)"

and pamukkale
Link Here

Hi from Türkiye

Iggy
6857th Post

"Re(8):Settei apocalypse" , posted Thu 14 Jul 07:49post reply

quote:
Like Ryu, for example?

Like pretty much everyone in most Capcom games, really.
My favourite fighting game characters, Dahlsim and Anakaris, are my favourite ONLY because of the way they play. They are boring otherwise.

ねんがんの ネ申ゲーをてにいれたぞ!

Iggy
6860th Post

"Re(9):Settei apocalypse" , posted Thu 14 Jul 08:21post reply

Also, I don't think it ahs been said here before, but evil-purple-Nakoruru is back.

They are REALLY including everything from the past games, I love it.

ねんがんの ネ申ゲーをてにいれたぞ!

kofoguz
74th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(9):Settei apocalypse" , posted Thu 14 Jul 08:24post reply

quote:
Like Ryu, for example?
Like pretty much everyone in most Capcom games, really.

But,except Darkstalkers,Right?
It is one of the most original and deepest 'settei' in capcom universe IMO.
Felicia,Hsien-ko and Bulleta are my favourites.

One of my cat 'Beyaz' reminds me Felicia, characteristic wise.

and pamukkale
Link Here

Hi from Türkiye

Iggy
6863th Post

"Re(10):Settei apocalypse" , posted Thu 14 Jul 08:34post reply

quote:
But,except Darkstalkers,Right?
It is one of the most original and deepest 'settei' in capcom universe IMO.
Felicia,Hsien-ko and Bulleta are my favourites.

I love Bulleta's back story, but it's really nothing to a SNK character or any inhabitant of Taki's village.

ねんがんの ネ申ゲーをてにいれたぞ!

Abster
136th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(10):Settei apocalypse" , posted Thu 14 Jul 08:48post reply

quote:
Also, I don't think it ahs been said here before, but evil-purple-Nakoruru is back.

Except the blood :p

But a purple/evil Nakoruru vs Rera should be interesting

There's no substitution for dedication. -TeamTNT-

Kaepora
424th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(10):Settei apocalypse" , posted Thu 14 Jul 10:30post reply

quote:

I thought Rera was evil purple Nakoruru. But I don't keep up with the story at all; I didn't know the "proper" timeline for the first four games until, like, three years ago.

Spoon
1130th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):Settei apocalypse" , posted Thu 14 Jul 13:05post reply

quote:

I thought Rera was evil purple Nakoruru. But I don't keep up with the story at all; I didn't know the "proper" timeline for the first four games until, like, three years ago.

I wasn't aware that a coherent story of value was ever one of the goals of the SS series.

Saiki
185th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(3):Re(10):Settei apocalypse" , posted Thu 14 Jul 14:02post reply

quote:

I wasn't aware that a coherent story of value was ever one of the goals of the SS series.

There always has been a coherent plot in the SS series. But this game is a dreammatch so it's okay to have evil Nako and Rera seperate

Red Falcon
5561th Post

"Re(4):Re(10):Settei apocalypse" , posted Thu 14 Jul 14:35post reply

"Evil Nakoruru"/Rera aren't really evil, anyway. Just.. more violent than Nakoruru.

Baines
107th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(4):Re(10):Settei apocalypse" , posted Thu 14 Jul 14:46post reply

quote:
There always has been a coherent plot in the SS series. But this game is a dreammatch so it's okay to have evil Nako and Rera seperate

There was a coherent plot for the first two SS games. Then SNK decided to try to make the game appeal to a larger audience, which resulted in SS3 and less concern for plotline. SS4 kind of tried to fix things, with the whole 1/3/4/2 timeline but also things like the trying to justify two Amakusa.

The HNG64 games were also crammed in between 1 and 2. The PSX-only 3D game handled continuity and clarity by being set something like 10-20 years later and replacing most of the cast (and keeping Nak in elf form.)

And in the whole mix was the RPG, which was supposed to retell at least 1 and 2, with some early comments supposedly claiming it was to go further. But it was delayed so much and the arcade games moved on without it.

Really, the plot is only coherent for the first two games. Even though the third game barely even had a plot, it managed to cause problems.

Red Falcon
5563th Post

"Re(5):Re(10):Settei apocalypse" , posted Thu 14 Jul 15:01:post reply

quote:
Really, the plot is only coherent for the first two games. Even though the third game barely even had a plot, it managed to cause problems.

Nah, Asura Zanmaden and Samurai Damashii DEFINATELY take place after the original 4... and the cruddy PS game takes place 10-20 years after Asura Zanmaden, when Shiki's child (who wasn't a girl...) grew up to become.. what's her face.

Edit: But really, why should we be so picky about dodgy fighting game timelines and storylines?

[this message was edited by Red Falcon on Thu 14 Jul 15:07]

Nate
634th Post

"Re(6):Re(10):Settei apocalypse" , posted Thu 14 Jul 15:53post reply

quote:
Shiki's child (who wasn't a girl...) grew up to become.. what's her face.

Mikoto.

ワンダフル! ビューティフル! エキサイティング!

Iggy
6865th Post

"Re(6):Re(10):Settei apocalypse" , posted Thu 14 Jul 16:35post reply

quote:
when Shiki's child (who wasn't a girl...) grew up to become.. what's her face.

Wait, Mikoto is not a girl ?

ねんがんの ネ申ゲーをてにいれたぞ!

Nate
635th Post

"Re(7):Re(10):Settei apocalypse" , posted Thu 14 Jul 16:43post reply

quote:

Wait, Mikoto is not a girl ?

That'd be extra-hilarious but I think Yumeji has that covered.

I think he meant in the PolySamu games Shiki didn't have a baby girl, she had a baby boy. Somewhere along the way they decided to change the baby to a girl, who became Mikoto.

YeldellGW
470th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(2):Re(10):Settei apocalypse" , posted Fri 15 Jul 02:57post reply

quote:

Except the blood :p

But a purple/evil Nakoruru vs Rera should be interesting

I got one better.

An extra kick button!

A 5 button layout and there's still only one freakin kick button,

Nate
636th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):Settei apocalypse" , posted Fri 15 Jul 04:23post reply

quote:

I got one better.

An extra kick button!

A 5 button layout and there's still only one freakin kick button

You need more kicks than those? Admittedly, maybe someone like Mina could do with more but would probably be better off if they got rid of her crappy ones and gave her new ones.

Abster
137th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(4):Re(10):Settei apocalypse" , posted Fri 15 Jul 06:46post reply

I'm fine with the 3 slash 1 kick button setup. Besides, you've got an extra kick by holding forward.

Cham Cham, Sieger, Earthquake, Gen-an, Iroha, and Yumeji got their profiles added to the Tenka page, which leaves the 4 bosses and 2 slots left.

YeldellGW
473th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(5):Re(10):Settei apocalypse" , posted Fri 15 Jul 09:33post reply

quote:
I'm fine with the 3 slash 1 kick button setup. Besides, you've got an extra kick by holding forward.

Hardly an improvement considering most of the lost kicks were so much better than what's there now.

Cham Cham, among a few other characters, kicks were better than their slashes half of the time.

Iggy
6868th Post

"Re(6):Re(10):Settei apocalypse" , posted Fri 15 Jul 16:19post reply

quote:
Hardly an improvement considering most of the lost kicks were so much better than what's there now.

Yeah, Amakusa was so much more interesting to use in Musôken.

quote:
Cham Cham, among a few other characters, kicks were better than their slashes half of the time.

And Chamcham sucked big time.
And she doesn't need a lot of kicks. She just needs her slide.
UZEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.

ねんがんの ネ申ゲーをてにいれたぞ!

NARUTO
3147th Post

"Re(7):Re(10):Settei apocalypse" , posted Fri 15 Jul 20:03post reply

quote:
Hardly an improvement considering most of And Chamcham sucked big time.

I don't think so... and her forward rolling attack was more than annoying...

We are all mad at some point...

YeldellGW
474th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(8):Re(10):Settei apocalypse" , posted Fri 15 Jul 20:29post reply

quote:
Hardly an improvement considering most of And Chamcham sucked big time.
I don't think so... and her forward rolling attack was more than annoying...

Her pounce and scratch move? A jumping weak kick shuts that move down practically every time!

Jumping medium kick (The butt attack) = Chams best jumpin. Could rarely miss with that, unlike her Hard Slash.

Low medium kick = best poke.

Won't even start on how Nako's standig weak and medium kicks were better pokes than her slashes could ever be!

Same could be said for some of the other characters...

And a blocked slide invited a Hard Slash. How I miss the days when a blocked slide left everyone open to attack.

Damn, I need to fire up SS2 this weekend...

Baines
110th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(9):Re(10):Settei apocalypse" , posted Sat 16 Jul 05:28post reply

quote:
Won't even start on how Nako's standig weak and medium kicks were better pokes than her slashes could ever be!

I spent a few months using just kicks and specials with Nak in SS1. Good variety and better range than her slashes after all.

With SS2, she was underpowered enough that she needed everything to compete, and that included her different kicks.

Besides, it really annoys Haohmaru players when you jump kick them out of their uppercut.

YeldellGW
475th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(10):Re(10):Settei apocalypse" , posted Sat 16 Jul 09:47post reply

quote:
Besides, it really annoys Haohmaru players when you jump kick them out of their uppercut.

Jump kick! Sadly, I'll never see myself getting away with that.

LOL! You should try running up to him and throwing him out of them!

Pure SS2 classic moments there!

*Sigh* Certain aspects of this series went downhill after SS2.

Baines
111th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(2):Re(10):Re(10):Settei apocalypse" , posted Sat 16 Jul 15:23post reply

quote:
LOL! You should try running up to him and throwing him out of them!

Pure SS2 classic moments there!

My favorite throwing situation was from SS1...

It was almost criminal when most of the other players assumed "weaponless == crippled," then you take half their lifebar with her unarmed AB bitch slap throw.

Sadly, while SS2 made it easier to get rid of your weapon, it also put a fairly low damage cap on that throw. Really hurt her unarmed game. Then 3 took away some of her kicks and throws and boosted her armed game. Sure, she became easy to play, but part of the game was lost for me at that point.

YeldellGW
476th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(3):Re(10):Re(10):Settei apocalypse" , posted Sat 16 Jul 21:23post reply

quote:
My favorite throwing situation was from SS1...

It was almost criminal when most of the other players assumed "weaponless == crippled," then you take half their lifebar with her unarmed AB bitch slap throw.

That was one of my favs too!

quote:

Sadly, while SS2 made it easier to get rid of your weapon, it also put a fairly low damage cap on that throw. Really hurt her unarmed game. Then 3 took away some of her kicks and throws and boosted her armed game. Sure, she became easy to play, but part of the game was lost for me at that point.

SNK also gayed up her reflect move in SS3. The move's nowhere near as effective against projectiles now (Especially since we don't feel Hanzo's should be capable of being reflected anymore.). Now that I think about it, Shizumaru's the only one whose reflect move seemed to have gotten better with the later games (Couldn't get the damn out to reflect a projectile to save my life when I play SS3.).

Talking about Nako like this makes me wonder how she's so popular when she's usually the lowest ranked character in these games?

Abster
138th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(4):Re(10):Re(10):Settei apocalypse" , posted Sun 17 Jul 09:22post reply

Yeah, it's not as easy to rely on kicks anymore. They've become obsolete in the SS world. On top of that, all unarmed slashes are the same punch now.

KTallguy
692th Post

"Re(5):Re(10):Re(10):Settei apocalypse" , posted Sun 17 Jul 12:41post reply

Kicks are fast and can knock down. They are good option for putting both players back at neutral advantage without giving yourself any disadvantage. They can't be parried.

In the new SS, especially in 'Zero' Mode, throws seem quite powerful if you can dodge well. I think they are trying to strike a nice balance with the throwing/attacking game. I have faith in them =)

"テメエがヤクブソクなんだよ!"

Abster
139th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(6):Re(10):Re(10):Settei apocalypse" , posted Sun 17 Jul 13:02post reply

quote:
Kicks are fast and can knock down. They are good option for putting both players back at neutral advantage without giving yourself any disadvantage. They can't be parried.

In the new SS, especially in 'Zero' Mode, throws seem quite powerful if you can dodge well. I think they are trying to strike a nice balance with the throwing/attacking game. I have faith in them =)

That's true, mainly the low kicks. Still, I wait for the day that unarmed punches have different animations than the universal ones we have today. BTW, are guard crushes this go around SS3 & 4 based (Just a shove with them recovering before you can do a follow up move) or SS5 based? (Where you can knock them down as soon as you push them)

Ultima
406th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(4):Nako low ranked what?" , posted Mon 18 Jul 23:01post reply

re: throws in SS1

> Sadly, while SS2 made it easier to get rid of your weapon, it also put a fairly low damage cap on that throw.

I'll take the lower damage of SS2 plus MUCH BETTER CONTROL over SS1's higher damage and awful control (I swear, SS1 is the only game where you can't throw if you're too close OR too far) any day.

> Talking about Nako like this makes me wonder how she's so popular when she's usually the lowest ranked character in these games?

Wait WUT? The only game where Nako was anything less that top/high tier is SS2. SS1? STUPID (low slide cannot be punished if blocked), SS3? STUPID (Touch of death combos, infinites, insanely fast bird, option select air throw, etc.). SS4? STUPID (dashing A nearly unstoppable). Okay, she's a little more reasonable in SS0/5, probably because there are more stupidly good characters around (Yoshitora and Yunfei). Not sure about SS0S, but I suppose she's still pretty good there, as are most characters.

But anyway, the only game where she's crap is SS2, where she was the worst character in the game, but still beat the No.1 character Ukyo.

--
Ultima - The Right arm of Scrub Voltron
http://uramble.com/index.html - U's Rambling Page

Iggy
6892th Post

"Re(5):Nako low ranked what?" , posted Mon 18 Jul 23:20post reply

quote:
Okay, she's a little more reasonable in SS0/5, probably because there are more stupidly good characters around (Yoshitora and Yunfei). Not sure about SS0S, but I suppose she's still pretty good there, as are most characters.

Nako is useless in both SS0 and Supisupe.
The only effective way to win is her classic dash+throw.
The "Nageruru" nickname she had in SSS is valid once again (nage = throw).
But it may be only because I don't know how to use her, and I don't want to know how because I hate her.
A lot.
On the other hand, I have yet to see an effective Nako in either SS0 or Supisupe, so I don't think it's me.

She was quite good in CvS2 I think ? And broken in CvS1, of course.

ねんがんの ネ申ゲーをてにいれたぞ!

KTallguy
697th Post

"Re(6):Nako low ranked what?" , posted Mon 18 Jul 23:23post reply

Never ever saw Nak in any vids in CVS2... of course, everyone was using Sagat, Blanka, Cammy....

"テメエがヤクブソクなんだよ!"

Ultima
408th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(7):Nako low ranked what?" , posted Tue 19 Jul 21:35post reply

quote:
Never ever saw Nak in any vids in CVS2... of course, everyone was using Sagat, Blanka, Cammy....

She's pretty good in CvS2, just not broken like in CvS1. Her cross-up/turtle game is still annoying as hell.

Iggy:

True, I have not heard anything about Nako in SS0/S, aside from dash & throw (Nageruru = lol), but as I said, that's probably because there are much more dangerous characters around. It's not like she's hanging out in the low tier with the likes of Basara and Enja (SS0), like that other guy was suggesting.

--

Bata kun
2678th Post

"Bata-kun's 'SST' rant" , posted Wed 20 Jul 03:50post reply

System: I am let down that there's the 3 slash, 1 kick format still. I don't like the new change in how you pick up your weapon, should you drop it. The six spirits gig, I'm starting to wish that there are only like 3 or 4 at most, not 6. (Two for me would have been the ideal number like in "1997" or "1998".)

Characters: geez! They're trying to fit in everyone here alright. Okay, maybe not so, but you got the idea. Just as long as Earthquake doesn't have those cheap teleportation moves and that Sankurou stays at bay this time around as well as some other stuff I can't think of right now, I'll be okay here. Oh and as for Mina, if "Ara ara"-san plays as her again, I'll forgive Imoya for the changes. (While the charge motions being gone's great, the fact that her side switching move got severely hampered isn't for me.)

Audio: I take it that this will be fine. Next!

Art: again, from what I have read here, this should be way more pretty than "Rei" for sure.

Overall: aside from the blood issue, which I will not go into, the overall system and the possibility of some other stuff being left out are the things I'm worried about. (What stuff do I speak of? I don't know.) If Iroha, the first character I'll pick, turns out to be a terrific character, all's forgiven. I think.

Ultima
410th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(1):Bata-kun's 'SST' rant" , posted Wed 20 Jul 04:00post reply

> System: I am let down that there's the 3 slash, 1 kick format still.

I wouldn't mind a return to the 6 button format of old, but oh well.

> The six spirits gig, I'm starting to wish that there are only like 3 or 4 at most, not 6. (Two for me would have been the ideal number like in "1997" or "1998".)

If they're going to go with the wnotion of grooves, might as well include more.

> Just as long as Earthquake doesn't have those cheap teleportation moves

WUT

--

Bata kun
2679th Post

"Re(2):Bata-kun's 'SST' rant" , posted Wed 20 Jul 04:30post reply

quote:
If they're going to go with the wnotion of grooves, might as well include more.

I just hate that word. "Groove". I don't mind if it is used in a sentence like, "I lost my groove by the time the 1980's came on," but to use it in place of something like "mode", it's just wrong.

Anyway, I don't want to try and learn six modes. Even then, I'll probably have a hard time picking a mode to work with. In "CvS II", I didn't like any of the modes because none of them did fit my style of play at all.

quote:
WUT

I'm sorry, but I have always hated Earthquake ever since the first game, especially those cheap teleporting moves.

KTallguy
698th Post

"Re(3):Bata-kun's 'SST' rant" , posted Wed 20 Jul 14:42post reply

Well, I am getting the impression that certain hardcore people will use the more difficult 'spirits' (see, I'm not calling them grooves!) but most people will stick to the tried and true Rei system, or maybe the one that allows for custom combos. However the ones that allow you to Parry are quite risky, but quite strong. I remember being impressed by battles where one guy would be merrily chipping away at his opponent, but then the opponent would parry and attack, taking away half the opponent's health. The parry/attack thing is not easy to do from what I saw, but it's definitely an option for those who want something different.

Earthquake should have an updated sprite. I really hope he does when it comes out. They should at least clean up the face and stuff a little bit. I barely remember anyone using Earthquake but I do think he had some form of teleport moves. I'm sure they'll make it so it's not so cheap. =P

"テメエがヤクブソクなんだよ!"

Baines
119th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(5):Nako low ranked what?" , posted Wed 20 Jul 15:41post reply

quote:
I'll take the lower damage of SS2 plus MUCH BETTER CONTROL over SS1's higher damage and awful control (I swear, SS1 is the only game where you can't throw if you're too close OR too far) any day.

I don't remember having problems throwing in SS1.

I do remember having problems with how loose move recognition was for SS2, particularly with Nak and all her overlapping move motions.

Besides, Nak needed *something* for SS2. The poor girl was crippled. Even giving her a hidden move didn't help (and why didn't they make the baby bird hit anyway?)

quote:
SS1? STUPID (low slide cannot be punished if blocked),

From what I remember, it wasn't actually becoming "common knowledge" just how good Nak was in SS1 until nearer the end of its run.

quote:
SS3? STUPID (Touch of death combos, infinites, insanely fast bird, option select air throw, etc.).

Defintely good in SS3, but not the only character that was in that "broken" range of power. Still, she was good enough to pick up many fans who wouldn't even touch her more than once or twice in SS2.

quote:
SS4? STUPID (dashing A nearly unstoppable).

Was starting to not care about the series with SS4, so no personal comments on how good or bad she was.

quote:
But anyway, the only game where she's crap is SS2, where she was the worst character in the game, but still beat the No.1 character Ukyo.

I remember good Nak versus good Ukyo was a very uphill battle. Possible, but far from easy. The biggest advantage was that a lot of people playing Ukyo weren't really good, and had just migrated to the current "top tier" character without truly learning to use him.

YeldellGW
480th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(3):Bata-kun's 'SST' rant" , posted Thu 21 Jul 03:59post reply

quote:
I'm sorry, but I have always hated Earthquake ever since the first game, especially those cheap teleporting moves.

Earthquake was cheap before he even had the teleports.

He couldn't be thrown in the 1st SS. Amazed SNK didn't see a problem with that before the game's release.

He was practically ever Shellheads' best friend since the only top down attack in the game was timing a jumping attack that hit on the way up.

Won't even start on his weak Fat Bound move on corner opponents...

As for Nako's ranking, I was going by various ranking chartss from the 1st 4 games. All of them had her ranked relatively low.

Baines
122th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(4):Bata-kun's 'SST' rant" , posted Thu 21 Jul 13:44post reply

quote:
He couldn't be thrown in the 1st SS. Amazed SNK didn't see a problem with that before the game's release.

I'll admit it has been quite a while, but I recall that you could still throw Earthquake, you just didn't get a move that "threw" Earthquake. Nak would do her D throw regardless of which buttons you used (as the others involved tossing or flipping him.)

quote:
As for Nako's ranking, I was going by various ranking chartss from the 1st 4 games. All of them had her ranked relatively low.

She was a late power favorite in SS1, and fairly popular throughout. She was pretty much always at the bottom in SS2. SS3 had Slash Nak starting strong (because she was so easy). Not sure how she stayed, but I assume she stayed near the top from what she could do. Bust Nak I never cared about, but I don't recall her really being anything special in the long run.

And she's pretty darn easy to use in Bushido Retsuden, but it is a fairly easy RPG. :)

Shin_ATproof
1193th Post

"Re(8):Nako low ranked what?" , posted Thu 21 Jul 16:48post reply

quote:

Iggy:

True, I have not heard anything about Nako in SS0/S, aside from dash & throw (Nageruru = lol), but as I said, that's probably because there are much more dangerous characters around. It's not like she's hanging out in the low tier with the likes of Basara and Enja (SS0), like that other guy was suggesting.

Um...how is Basara or Enja lowtier? Basara has a really good poke and lockdown(floating heat-seeking projectile lol) and backdashcancel slash attacks. Oh and anyone that can combo into Enjas full chain attack well over half of the time is a huge threat to any character in the game.

Sí mon con langosta y camarón

Iggy
6915th Post

"Re(9):Nako low ranked what?" , posted Thu 21 Jul 19:02post reply

quote:
Um...how is Basara or Enja lowtier? Basara has a really good poke and lockdown(floating heat-seeking projectile lol) and backdashcancel slash attacks. Oh and anyone that can combo into Enjas full chain attack well over half of the time is a huge threat to any character in the game.

In Supisupe, yes.
In SS0, the tendô is too hard to pull (in Supisupe, some people can finish it 40% of the time, and it's still not enough to make Enja a top tier character) and Basar's protection is too low in SS0, MIna-level, plus some of his moves have been strengthen in Supisupe.

ねんがんの ネ申ゲーをてにいれたぞ!

Shin_ATproof
1194th Post

"Re(10):Nako low ranked what?" , posted Thu 21 Jul 19:19post reply

Well I've spent a lot(A LOT) more time with SS0Sp but I recall there isn't much one can do to get around Basara's projectile/poke routine in either game without either using a better priority move or good timing with like dash and roll, but yeah, he takes in the rear with damage and he has a lot of laggy moves. Eh, I'll just have to agree with ya since I was never that big on SS0. Oh but about Enja's chain...my friend can easily get it at least 70% of the time and he combos it...I really hate Enja, he is an extremely powerful character in the right hands.

Sí mon con langosta y camarón

YeldellGW
481th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(5):Bata-kun's 'SST' rant" , posted Fri 22 Jul 05:59post reply

quote:
I'll admit it has been quite a while, but I recall that you could still throw Earthquake, you just didn't get a move that "threw" Earthquake. Nak would do her D throw regardless of which buttons you used (as the others involved tossing or flipping him.)

Well in SS2 everyone did a multiple kick knockdown move on Fat Bastard instead of their personalized thorws. Galford and Hanzo could pull off their piledrivers on him as well.

None of that was possible in the 1st game.

Ultima
412th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(3):Bata-kun's 'SST' rant" , posted Fri 22 Jul 06:03post reply

> I just hate that word. "Groove".

Meh. I didn't like it either at first. But I've gotten used to it. I use either that or ISM, just out of habit. "Mode" is so passe. ;)

> Anyway, I don't want to try and learn six modes.

Then don't.

> Even then, I'll probably have a hard time picking a mode to work with. In "CvS II", I didn't like any of the modes because none of them did fit my style of play at all.

Unfortunate. Best you can hope for is a best fit.

re: EQ

> I'm sorry, but I have always hated Earthquake ever since the first game, especially those cheap teleporting moves.

Well first of all, EQ didn't have teleport moves in SS1. And in SS2, his teleport moves were useless (you could throw him out of his regular teleport, like you could with Hanzl and Galford, and you could simply block his drop, then run up and hit him for free). Dunno about SvC, but Geese/Zero/Chun-li/Guile/Iori own everything, so its moot.

Now if you mentioned something about the fact that couldn't throw him in SS1, maybe then you'd have a point, but otherwise... not really...

--

Baines
124th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(6):Bata-kun's 'SST' rant" , posted Fri 22 Jul 08:10post reply

quote:
None of that was possible in the 1st game.

Okay, I stand corrected.

But for how SNK couldn't see a problem with it, throws were still being understood and played with at that point. Companies were underestimating the power of blocking, overestimating throwing, underestimating throwing, and underestimating the usefulness of being able to switch positions with throws.

One could make the same comment about Capcom and low blocking in SF2. Crouching blocks everything except air attacks? Particularly since people had already found that you could beat Mike in SF1 by simply landing one hit and then crouch blocking for the rest of the round.

(On a somewhat related note, I found the concept of crouch block still being supreme so weird that I spent my first several months of SF2 blocking high attacks with standing blocks, never expecting crouch block to even work for them.)

Iggy
6920th Post

"No hidden characters ?" , posted Fri 22 Jul 12:12post reply

The 42 empty slots have been changed to 40 filled squares.

Are the 2 remaining ones really hidden or just an error ?

Also, I hate the artist. Zankurô looks like Anakaris.

ねんがんの ネ申ゲーをてにいれたぞ!

Abster
158th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(1):No hidden characters ?" , posted Fri 22 Jul 12:56post reply

quote:
The 42 empty slots have been changed to 40 filled squares.

Are the 2 remaining ones really hidden or just an error ?

Also, I hate the artist. Zankurô looks like Anakaris.

I'm thinking the 2 remaining slots are just random selects, but I think the possibility of Kuroko and someone else, possibly Ambroja could be there to fill them.

Bata kun
2681th Post

"Re(4):Bata-kun's 'SST' rant" , posted Sat 23 Jul 04:00post reply

quote:
Meh. I didn't like it either at first. But I've gotten used to it. I use either that or ISM, just out of habit. "Mode" is so passe. ;)

Me I don't blame you. --'

quote:
Then don't.

That doesn't mean I won't do it. I'd rather find my mode quickly than try every mode if I ever plan to get quick competition.

quote:
Unfortunate. Best you can hope for is a best fit.

True, but I still never liked the modes in "CvS II".

quote:
Well first of all, EQ didn't have teleport moves in SS1. And in SS2, his teleport moves were useless (you could throw him out of his regular teleport, like you could with Hanzl and Galford, and you could simply block his drop, then run up and hit him for free). Dunno about SvC, but Geese/Zero/Chun-li/Guile/Iori own everything, so its moot.

Now if you mentioned something about the fact that couldn't throw him in SS1, maybe then you'd have a point, but otherwise... not really...

Well, they were pretty cheap in "SvC: C". "Shin's" weren't that bad though. Still, I've hated him over the years.