Japanese Dictionary - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (1147 Views )

Radish
2948th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Japanese Dictionary" , posted Fri 8 Jul 22:47:post reply

Sorry to ask this but I know there are a lot of Japanese students on this board and I don't know where else to ask.

I'm starting to outgrow my current crop of Japanese-English dictionaries and I'm looking to get some new ones. I was recommended to get one of those Japanese Electronic Dictionaries since they have tons of words along with jump features and such. However it's a bit overwhelming considering that they are expensive and there are like a million models available.

I did some research on this site but it only helps so much once you have it narrowed down to several machines. Many sites list models as for "advanced students" which I certainly don't qualify as.

What I'd like to know is if stuff like this is worth getting. On their scale, I'm more of a 3 or 4 but since I can get this model elsewhere for about $150, would that be ok or is there something that makes this model impossible to use for someone of my skill level as opposed to the "beginner friendly" ones? I can't imagine that the beginner ones would be much more useful to an English native since they are all designed for Japanese people speaking English.

They all seem to use the same Japanese to English dictionaries, just the harder ones incorperate references for Japanese people like cook books and stuff.

[this message was edited by Radish on Fri 8 Jul 22:50]

Replies:

Iggy
6833th Post

"Re(1):Japanese Dictionary" , posted Fri 8 Jul 23:41post reply

The problem with electronic dictionnaries is the difference of quality, of dictionnaries included (if you want a kojien, it's easy, but if you want a precise combination of technical ones, it's another problem), the price, and the fact a new model more interesting is released the second you decide to buy yours.

I don't know what you want it for, but for a light everyday use, the combination of a good character dictionnary (in paper form, for english speakers, the New Nelson is the best by far, even french students use it) and of Yahoo jiten.

Yahoo Jiten is especially nice if you read something online, since you just have to copy&paste the character(s) from a window to the other, without having to even check their readings or look at them closely. Notice the japanese-> english option.

The problem with electronic dictionnaries, Yahoo Jiten and the like, is that the more you use them, the less you will be able to write them.
It's a tragedy.

Also, if you choose to buy an electronic dictionnary, be sure to have at least a japanese-japanese dictionnary in it. If you keep using a J-English dictionnary by thinking "it's still too hard for me, I'm not good enough", you'll never progress.

ねんがんの ネ申ゲーをてにいれたぞ!

Radish
2948th Post

"Re(2):Japanese Dictionary" , posted Sat 9 Jul 00:46post reply

quote:
The problem with electronic dictionnaries is the difference of quality, of dictionnaries included (if you want a kojien, it's easy, but if you want a precise combination of technical ones, it's another problem), the price, and the fact a new model more interesting is released the second you decide to buy yours.

I don't know what you want it for, but for a light everyday use, the combination of a good character dictionnary (in paper form, for english speakers, the New Nelson is the best by far, even french students use it) and of Yahoo jiten.

Yahoo Jiten is especially nice if you read something online, since you just have to copy&paste the character(s) from a window to the other, without having to even check their readings or look at them closely. Notice the japanese-> english option.

The problem with electronic dictionnaries, Yahoo Jiten and the like, is that the more you use them, the less you will be able to write them.
It's a tragedy.

Also, if you choose to buy an electronic dictionnary, be sure to have at least a japanese-japanese dictionnary in it. If you keep using a J-English dictionnary by thinking "it's still too hard for me, I'm not good enough", you'll never progress.

Thanks for the advice. I want the dictionary to help with playing import games, reading stuff online and when I eventually get a more open work schedule and start taking college classes again. I want something that I'll be able to use now, but will not be so kiddie that after another semester it will be useless.

Do you think the Sharp model I linked to in my opening post would be too dificult? I fit in between the
3 - Basics down pat, need simple readers and more grammar (beginner readers, basic grammar books)
4 - Knows 300 or so kanji (Secondary textbooks, specific grammar helps, manga)
group on their site; I've forgotten a bunch of my kanji since I haven't studied in a few years.

It seems like it has a good Japanese dictionary as well as a Jp->Eng one.

Iggy
6836th Post

"Re(3):Japanese Dictionary" , posted Sat 9 Jul 04:57post reply

quote:
Do you think the Sharp model I linked to in my opening post would be too dificult?

It has the kôjien and the kanjigen, an unspecified "Ancient Japanese Dictionary ", and tons of unnecessary stuff... I think it's good ?

I don't know, I don't use one, but I think if I was, I would buy one with a stylus to draw kanjis. Is it that much expensive ?
For now, I'm just waiting someone to make a GOOD japanese dictionnary on the DS.
Come on, it HAS to be done.

ねんがんの ネ申ゲーをてにいれたぞ!

Radish
2949th Post

"Re(4):Japanese Dictionary" , posted Sat 9 Jul 07:20post reply

quote:
Do you think the Sharp model I linked to in my opening post would be too dificult?
It has the kôjien and the kanjigen, an unspecified "Ancient Japanese Dictionary ", and tons of unnecessary stuff... I think it's good ?

I don't know, I don't use one, but I think if I was, I would buy one with a stylus to draw kanjis. Is it that much expensive ?
For now, I'm just waiting someone to make a GOOD japanese dictionnary on the DS.
Come on, it HAS to be done.

I think they have some Korean dictionary for the DS.

From what I've seen, the ones with Kanji drawing abilities are either really expensive or don't do anything other than let you look up drawn Kanji.

KTallguy
673th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(4):Japanese Dictionary" , posted Sun 10 Jul 09:49post reply

If someone made a japanese dictionary for the DS I would buy it so fast... Iggy is completely right, the more you look up kanji, the less you are able to write them. I can read much better than I could a year ago, but my writing is getting WORSE. Even when I practice...

The one that you're looking at is nice, I've seen it before and it works well. It will last you at least a few years, maybe more. I've lost 2 of those damned things so I've given up on using them and am relying on paper stuff from now on (and the internet).

Proud Supporter of Next Generation GAMEPLAY
"テメエがヤクブソクなんだよ!"

Radish
2950th Post

"Re(5):Japanese Dictionary" , posted Mon 11 Jul 20:25post reply

quote:
If someone made a japanese dictionary for the DS I would buy it so fast... Iggy is completely right, the more you look up kanji, the less you are able to write them. I can read much better than I could a year ago, but my writing is getting WORSE. Even when I practice...

The one that you're looking at is nice, I've seen it before and it works well. It will last you at least a few years, maybe more. I've lost 2 of those damned things so I've given up on using them and am relying on paper stuff from now on (and the internet).

Thanks!

Also I was unable to sleep last night and some time around 3:30 am I remembered the name of that Korean dictionary. I think they figured out that "Touch Dic" sounds too hilarious and changed it to "Touch Dictionary"
http://www.touchdic.co.kr/

Apparently there is also some sort of DS Japanese dictionary.
http://www.touch-ds.jp/mediagallery/st17.html

Maou
691th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(6):Japanese Dictionary" , posted Tue 12 Jul 04:26post reply

Hmm, if you want a good print character dictionary (which should be good in helping you recognize character radicals and stroke order, even if it's not as 'convenient' as an electronic dictionary), you might want to look at Kodansha's jouyou kanji dictionary. While on one hand it's still Japanese-English as opposed to Japanese-Japanese, each kanji has a wide variety of compounds, and unlike the Nelson and things like that, which write the Japanese in English characters for no apparent reason, the Kodansha one is all in kana, which is so nice that it outweighs the fact that only 1945 kanji are there. Check it out?

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

OrochiChris
88th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(6):Japanese Dictionary" , posted Tue 12 Jul 08:38:post reply

quote:
Apparently there is also some sort of DS Japanese dictionary.
http://www.touch-ds.jp/mediagallery/st17.html

That commercial is cute! =) And a Nintendo DS JP Dictionary would probably be the only reason I have (right now) to buy a DS. Hmmmmm...

Oh, I also have a Kodansha Kanji dictionary (called the "Kodansha Compact Kanji Guide", ISBN 4-7700-1553-4). As stated before, it's got absolutely no romaji whatsoever. I love it to death! ^^

Cathy: オー! バイオレンス!アーユー ヒール?
ワッチュアネーム?

Shinobu: な、なんだぁ!? くっ...でけぇ... 一体何食ってやがんだぁ!?
えぇい! 日本に来たら、日本語喋れってんだっ!
In Soviet Russia Nekketsu Seishun Nikki plays YOU!

[this message was edited by OrochiChris on Tue 12 Jul 08:38]