The War of the Worlds Thread - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (1839 Views )

Burning Ranger
1232th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Red Carpet Executive Member

"The War of the Worlds Thread" , posted Thu 30 Jun 14:15post reply

I just came back from seeing War of the Worlds and I have to say just one thing: Wait for the DVD to come out. While I think Cruise and Channing can act, I have to say that this movie fails to live up to the hype. Just see the original movie from the 1950's/60's. But then again, that movie doesn't have:

Spoiler (Highlight to view) -

1) Blood, lots of blood
2) A fat crazy Tim Robbins
3) Morgan Freeman's narration

At least the movie ends the way its supposed to, as the 1950s version and the novel does.

End of Spoiler

Advanced Cyborg E. Branger AKA Burning Ranger

Felicia & Morrigan: no explanation necessary.

Replies:

sabo10
1171th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member+

"Re(1):The War of the Worlds Thread" , posted Fri 1 Jul 22:05post reply

This movie gave me a hard on...but then again, I really go for big mainstream event movies like Jurassic Park and T2.

It was a bit uneven, but there are some really great parts that I would have regretted not seeing in a movie theater.

Ishmael
2080th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(2):The War of the Worlds Thread" , posted Sat 2 Jul 00:30post reply

War of the Spoilers:

It's amazing what the ending of a film can do for your feelings about the rest of the piece. Up until the last ten minutes or so I was really enjoying watching all those people die. But the ending was so sentimental, overblown, unlikely given the previous events, and downright sappy it bothered me. Once I had time to reflect on the movie I felt it was full of great moments and well worth the time but the main thought on my mind upon leaving the theater was "what the fuck kind of ending was that?" For most of the running time Spielberg managed to make the movie quite tense and brutal so it was a shame that the ending felt more like a fumble than anything.

I don't mean to make it sound like I disliked the movie because there was lots to love. I even liked the theme that he used for the story. The survival of a family unit caught up in insane times that are beyond their power to control was a fitting approach for the times of today.

Do the different takes on War of the Worlds reflect the society in which they were created or the personal world view of the creators? Arguments could be made either way but I doubt that the aetheist, pro-science totalitarianism stance that H.G Wells had would fly all that well today. I was also thankful that the Spielberg version didn't go with the overblown religious stance of the 1950's film version. A friend of mine once noted how the 50's film played up religion at the end to such a degree that it almost came across as divine providence that the germs killed the aliens. Why it was also God's will that thousands of people had to get the shit fried out of them by lasers, however, was never fully addressed. The Orson Welles radio version was ultimately about Welles as were most projects that involved Welles.

Anyway, I enjoyed the film even if it didn't end quite the way I had hoped.

Minor, random comments:

I was hoping for a character named Clayton Forrester just for the comedic value.

There weren't any shots of people in suits sitting around a table talking about the aliens, scientists gnawing on pipe stems or B list celebrities who are only there to get cooked. I didn't miss any of these.

The aliens planted their death buggies millions of years ago? With shifting tectonic plates and continental drift it's amazing they remembered where they had parked. It's also a bit surprising that their earlier prepping didn't clue them in that they needed to get immunized. When traveling abroad it's just common sense to get caught up on your shots before you start drinking the water or exchanging bodily fluids with the locals.

End of Spoiler

Evenor
201th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(3):The War of the Worlds Thread" , posted Sat 2 Jul 06:17post reply

The best part of the whole movie was the mili-second clip of Sailormoon SS they showed while Dakota Fanning was channel surfing.

Seriously though :

I had mixed feelings about the film. I didnt like the last scene where they meet up with the mom and the rest of the family. The mom comes out like ¨where have you guys been!?! , i have some cookies waiting in the oven for you guys!¨
I did like the whole human/blood fertilizer thing the aliens did and the scene with the dead humans floating down the river.
And yes, the fat tim robbins was pretty cool.

End of Spoiler

肝臓入りのオレンジジュース!
腎臓混じりの甘口カレー!
膵臓仕込みのペスカトーレ!
愛しの愛しのサイコホラー

Juan
4189th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(1):The War of the Worlds Thread" , posted Sat 2 Jul 14:24post reply

The movie lacked Will Smith punching aliens on the face! and scientist launching scrip kiddie viruses into alien operating systems!

End of Spoiler

Mokona
286th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(2):The War of the Worlds Thread" , posted Sun 3 Jul 04:40post reply

I'm happy I'm not the only one that was really disappointed with the movie. I mean, I wasn't really into the hype up until I began to read some early reviews that were all "OMG this is great shit!!!"...

The movie was fast and well paced up until they leave the mom's house with the plane crash... after that, I got kinda bored except for the ferry boat and the basement suspense scenes.

I really was impressed with the sound effects. The noise those machine makes and the explosions... man, that was really rumbling in the theater! Great effects!

Cruise played the role ok, but nothing any other actor couldn't have made. Fanning was really ok, but Justin Chatwin's character (the brother) was just pissing me off I was so glad they explosed the shit outta him (...NOT!! Grrrr stupid hollywood ending)

Anyway, I wasn't impressed as I should have been, yet, the movie has some good moments and the effects are really impressive.

End of Spoiler

Blah!

Burning Ranger
1235th Post

"Re(3):The War of the Worlds Thread" , posted Sun 3 Jul 06:51post reply

I wonder if Spielberg played Half-Life 2 while making this movie. In some of the city scenes, I expected to see Gordon Freeman running around.

Advanced Cyborg E. Branger AKA Burning Ranger

Felicia & Morrigan: no explanation necessary.

CharlesProphony
10th Post

New Customer

"Re(4):The War of the Worlds Thread" , posted Sun 3 Jul 14:25post reply

quote:
I wonder if Spielberg played Half-Life 2 while making this movie. In some of the city scenes, I expected to see Gordon Freeman running around.

agreed... the first comments when the tripods came out from the ground were "look! striders!!! hey tom, use the crowbar!!!"

and after watching this movie and minority report, we can tell how will be the visual style for the next movies from spielberg... the light and everything looked so similar, even the hightech "boo, i'll kill you" were similar...

and about the end...

I was waiting for something like "We are the father and daughter who lived through this... but now, tomorrow will come and everything is gonna be different... in some ways" after they managed to destroy the tripod using grenades... but then they magically appear in boston and mommy is there waiting at a complete and untouched house and rebel brother is there too!!! sorry tom, but I wished that they've died and the boy came burning to the camera in slow motion to make a scene with tom cruise showing his less than desirable acting habilities...

End of Spoiler

just improving my english...

Tai-Pan
32th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(5):The War of the Worlds Thread" , posted Mon 4 Jul 11:18post reply

I think the movie was good, and it had to have a happy ending, its Steven after all.

hayaku!!

Grahf
399th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(1):The War of the Worlds Thread" , posted Tue 5 Jul 03:03post reply

I really, really liked this movie. I've seen Batman Begins, Land of the Dead, and WotW recently, and I think this was my favorite (which is saying a lot because I really liked the other two movies too). After hearing such mixed reviews for this movie I definitely wasn't expecting that to be the case. The movie just exceeded my expectations so much. I liked how the movie was half suspense/action and half suspense/horror. During the action parts, Spielberg did a great job of building suspense and yet wasn't shy at all about showing the machines. Like someone has already said, the sound effects were fantastic (lighting too).

Before anyone gets on my case, let me say the movie wasn't perfect. I have a few minor complaints.

I agree the ending was too sappy (why can't anyone STAY dead?), but it was at least a quick ending. I wish they had never actually shown the aliens, especially since they were so cliched looking. I much prefer the mystery of the cold, giant machines. Also, did anyone else find it weird that after the EMP nothing electronic worked including Tom's watch, but digital video cameras were still functioning just fine?

End of Spoiler

Oh well. SEE THIS MOVIE.

Tai-Pan
33th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(2):The War of the Worlds Thread" , posted Tue 5 Jul 07:57post reply

I also think they shouldnt have showed the aliens; about the camera, maybe it was people from another places that werent affected by the machines.

hayaku!!

DarkZero
1256th Post

"Re(3):The War of the Worlds Thread" , posted Wed 6 Jul 15:49post reply

Even though I enjoyed it, I saw at the start of a triple feature with two significantly better movies (Mr. & Mrs. Smith and Unleashed), and liked War of the Worlds less and less as the night went on.

The movie reminded me of the angry rantings of a lot of American comic book fans, specifically the ones who hate Brian Bendis and his "decompressed" style of storytelling that so many other comics have aped. Tom Cruise's character had to be portrayed in a perfectly logical (or pseudo-logical), touchy-feely, and politically correct manner, taking the time to be traumatized, depressed, worried, or just flat-out have a panic attack every time he endured some new alien horror. The pace of the movie was completely broken by all of these gratuitous scenes of Tom Cruise just blankly staring into space or holding onto his daughter in the dark. A few scenes would be fine, but it was kind of ridiculous to fill in the space between every action sequence with this crap. Just off the top of my head:

He argues with his kids. Sulks in the dark in his bedroom.

He's attacked by aliens. Washes his face off and sulks in his kitchen.

They arrive at the mother's house. He has a small panic attack.

Their car is stolen. He sulks with his kids in the diner. Someone is shot by their gun. Sulking continues.

The son dies. He not only takes the time to be horrified and depressed, but then takes MORE time to be horrified and depressed with Tim Robbins: Useless Crazy Man and his peach schnapps.

He kills Tim Robbins. Longest sulking scene.

This could be a really long list, but I can say that the only scene that didn't fall into this trap was the boat scene, which was great. Instead of sulking about the fact that someone he knew just died, Tom Cruise's character takes the time to admire his son's heroism. Why couldn't more scenes be like this, with the main character doing something OTHER than sulking for the eighth or ninth time in the movie? The first two or three scenes of sulking create atmosphere, but the next five just inspire boredom.

End of Spoiler

If you haven't seen it: Don't! It's not bad, but there are better ways to spend your time.