Final Fantasy II (not IV) question - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (1524 Views )

Rid
6705th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Final Fantasy II (not IV) question" , posted Sun 26 Jun 12:41post reply

I started playing it, and I wanted to know, it is possible to turn Maria into a fighter? since the stats grow based on your actions I was wondering if I could be able to switch the magician role to Gus. Or maybe the stats growth is limited?

Replies:

Toxico
4085th Post

"Re(1):Final Fantasy II (not IV) question" , posted Sun 26 Jun 12:56:post reply

quote:
I started playing it, and I wanted to know, it is possible to turn Maria into a fighter? since the stats grow based on your actions I was wondering if I could be able to switch the magician role to Gus. Or maybe the stats growth is limited?

You are right, every character can be everything. The 'problem' is that stats usually try to balance themselves; for example if you raise too much stamina (wearing heavy armors) your agility will go down after a while. The oposite also aplies, rise to much agility (by wearing light armor or no armor at all) and the stamina will go down after a few 'levels'. In other words is really easy to make a strong fighter or good mage, but it takes much more time having a character that stands out at everything because you have to waste time leveling everything.

As far as I fecall the easiest thing to increase was HP, lose something like 80% of your maximun hp and it will increase after a few battles, with magic also aplies but it's harder because you have to waste the mp with spells.

Be prepared, this game requiers a lot of leveling up, almost 70% or 80% of the game type is stat increase... It can still be fun though.

Put fighters on the front row, only bow users and magic users can attack from the back row.

Bug -> when you attack with a weapon and cancel the attack the weapon gets exps; so you can have infinite exp in one battle by doing this as long as you care (great for fighters). you need 99 swings for a level... Every character can do this except for the last one on your team (he can't cancel his actions).

See??? He is a God...

[this message was edited by Toxico on Sun 26 Jun 13:03]

Hungrywolf
3056th Post

"Re(1):Final Fantasy II (not IV) question" , posted Sun 26 Jun 15:56post reply

Rid, i love your tag.

Anyway, since your question has been answered, I just wanted to put in my two cents. I really enjoyed FFII, and the way that the characters gain stats is interesting, though I would prefer not to go through that again. However, all of my characters pretty much sucked at magic. There were a few spells that I worked on, but I honestly ignored my magic for the most part, though I wish I'd raised at least one of my regular characters in magic. My characters were powerhouses though as far as fighting and life. I was very happy to have finally finished both FFI and II.

Hungry Like the Wolf

Time Mage
2191th Post

"Re(1):Final Fantasy II (not IV) question" , posted Mon 27 Jun 17:42post reply

quote:

Are you playing the NES or the remake version (PSX, GBA)?

If you're playing the remake, now stats don't go down when leveling other stats, like in Toxico's example. Also, the glitch he's talking about won't probably be there, although I should have to check it.

I gave Frionel the role of the swordsman that uses shields and has some white & black magic knowledge, Guy is my Fist user and main white mage, and Maria is a Bow user with brutal black magic and basic white magic. Seriously, her magic packs a punch, she's really powerful.

Rid
6710th Post

"Re(2):Final Fantasy II (not IV) question" , posted Tue 28 Jun 06:26post reply

I'm playing the PSX port, and yes, what Toxico says applies here, even the bug. Keep in mnd, the PSX and GBA versions are based on the Wonderswan remake, but the GBA version has lots of tweaks, enemies give more money, everything is cheaper, and the stat/magic increase is faster.