Drag-on Dragoon 2 - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (1870 Views )

Pollyanna
1223th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Drag-on Dragoon 2" , posted Sat 25 Jun 16:59post reply

I'm not sure if anyone cares, but here goes...

OK, so I have too many games to play already, but I couldn't help myself from picking up Drag-on Dragoon 2. I was lured by the beautiful character designs.

Fortunately, I wasn't disappointed. It's a really excellent game. I would say exceptional, even. Aaaaand, that's why I'm posting this, to tell people who liked the first game that they DO NOT want to miss the sequel, and to let people who thought the first game COULD have been good know that the sequel got it right.

I can't think of a sequel that covers the faults of its predecessor as well as this. Everything that was irritating about the first game (minus the camera) has been removed or improved upon.

Allow me to go into detail...

First of all, you run quickly and immediately all the time (that's a big one). You still have a lot of weapons, but they're divided into different characters (Nowe uses swords and short swords, and your other party members use lances, axes and staffs). You change characters on the fly, and they each have their own lifebar. Weapons also get new combos as they level up, so you aren't limited to the same attack that just grows in number like before. You have your basic combo, and then "special" combos that usually have fun and impressive results.

You can't really combo magic like before, but you can charge it and have impressive (and highly useful) results with certain characters.

The monotony of hacking and slashing is broken up by dividing the levels into missions with more dynamic design than the first game. You have different objectives and conditions in different levels and you aren't constantly suffering through the "kill things until something happens" syndrome.

The dragon levels are also better designed, more fun, and easier to maneuver, as your "X" button dash is much more useful and not necessary to jam on anymore.

The voice acting is also quite excellent, just like the first game. I like (many of) the characters as well, but I won't speak for the plot until I'm done with it.

If I had to pick it apart, I'd say that the animation is sort of choppy, the backgrounds are bland and the music is mediocre. THe animation and backgrounds are just hardware limitations and the music is...well, the ideas behind most of the compositions are good, but I feel like the composer either doesn't have the resources or the skill to convey their message. I don't know who it is, though...have they done something else?

The camera is also a terrible curse, but you learn to live with it the same way people learn to live with cancer.

Hmmm...guess that's it. Feels nice to write this. It's a really solid game with excellent presentation all around, so I hope someone else can appreciate it.

Replies:

kurushimi
79th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(1):Drag-on Dragoon 2" , posted Sun 26 Jun 04:58post reply

Heh, I was suprised no one was speaking much about this since it's been out for a while now (I think). Based on the intro, it looks like you have two characters to play around with - how does that work? Are they different enough?

I was considering picking it up, but I might hold out instead for Sengoku Basara.

Pollyanna
1225th Post

"Re(2):Drag-on Dragoon 2" , posted Sun 26 Jun 06:08post reply

There are four characters (that I know of) that you can use. They're quite different. I mean, they all have the same control scheme, but they have different strengths and weaknesses. (trying not to spoil anything) The staff user and the sword user are very different and different characters are more or less useful in different situations.

Since you can die very quickly (a few seconds if you're not careful) it's kida fun to manage both character's HP.

Sengoku Basara is like a punch in the face to me, because it comes out in a sea of other games I want to play. I think I'll just wait for one of my friends to get it or something. I don't have any reason to think it'll be good, but then again, I could have said the same for DoD2.

Kyouji
35th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(3):Drag-on Dragoon 2" , posted Mon 27 Jun 06:28post reply

I never played Drag-on Dragoon, but I remember it being panned. I didn't have any interest in DoD2 until I read your impressions here; now I'm wondering if I should give it a try. Do you think the game would be fun for someone who hasn't played the first game and won't care much about whatever story there may be? I'm just itching for a good action game and I don't know if I can wait until Oz is released.

Personally, I'm looking forward to Basara, if only because I'm a Wakamoto-whore.

GreatJustice!
4th Post

New Customer

"Re(1):Drag-on Dragoon 2" , posted Mon 27 Jun 07:19post reply

I had gotten the original Drag-On Dragoon last week for about 13 bucks. I stopped around Chapter 5 because it got WAY to repetive in the "kill everything hoping for a good SOMETHING." I am really happy that the 2nd one came along rather nice. After watch the newest trailer, I was very excited about the 2nd one.

*Watches as brother gets the 3rd Ending* Holy Crap, what crazy endings this game has(the first one I mean)!
The credit theme for the 3rd Ending is very good as well.

I would recomend that anyone get this game just for it story. It is really out there, and I am still wondering how this story ends (one real ending to go!).Too bad game play drags it down most of the time. Anyways, I hope the 2nd one comes state side. I want to know how the story goes.

Also quick question about the second one,

Spoiler (Highlight to view) -
How does Caim and Angelus tie into the story of the second one?

End of Spoiler

Moving Every Zig for GREAT JUSTICE!

Pollyanna
1234th Post

"Re(2):Drag-on Dragoon 2" , posted Mon 27 Jun 19:05post reply

quote:
I had gotten the original Drag-On Dragoon last week for about 13 bucks. I stopped around Chapter 5 because it got WAY to repetive in the "kill everything hoping for a good SOMETHING." I am really happy that the 2nd one came along rather nice. After watch the newest trailer, I was very excited about the 2nd one.

*Watches as brother gets the 3rd Ending* Holy Crap, what crazy endings this game has(the first one I mean)!

I would recomend that anyone get this game just for it story. It is really out there, and I am still wondering how this story ends (one real ending to go!).Too bad game play drags it down most of the time. Anyways, I hope the 2nd one comes state side. I want to know how the story goes.

The story in the 2nd game is good enough so far, but not quite on par with the first game. However, it depends on how you look at it. I was surprised by the 1st game, but I was expecting insanity in the 2nd one.

Fortunately, you don't have to play the game for the plot, and even if the plot was terrible (it's not) then the game would still be worth it. I found the 1st game horribly repetitive as well. It's a shame, because I wanted to get all the different endings/scenarios, but couldn't make myself suffer through the game to get them.

Aaaaand...

Spoiler (Highlight to view) -

Well, I don't want to say anything about Caim and Angel until I finish the game. As of now, I don't know for sure. Caim had a few years of moderate happiness after the first game, but now he's...whooo..pretty crazy. When they first introduce him (before he really shows up) there's this cryptic scene in darkness with a raspy voice saying "C...Ca....im..." and he makes this sadistic grin. It was the coolest comeback intro ever.

End of Spoiler

That reminds me...when the game starts up, it has Manah saying "Aishite! Aishite!" then a garbled/distorted voice as it shows quick flashes of clips of her from DoD. Then she says "Square Enix" and it makes me happy EVERY time. It's kinda creepy, but very clever, so I hope they don't change it in America.

GreatJustice!
5th Post

New Customer

"Re(3):Drag-on Dragoon 2" , posted Tue 28 Jun 01:05post reply

quote:

The story in the 2nd game is good enough so far, but not quite on par with the first game. However, it depends on how you look at it. I was surprised by the 1st game, but I was expecting insanity in the 2nd one.

Fortunately, you don't have to play the game for the plot, and even if the plot was terrible (it's not) then the game would still be worth it. I found the 1st game horribly repetitive as well. It's a shame, because I wanted to get all the different endings/scenarios, but couldn't make myself suffer through the game to get them.

Aaaaand...

That reminds me...when the game starts up, it has Manah saying "Aishite! Aishite!" then a garbled/distorted voice as it shows quick flashes of clips of her from DoD. Then she says "Square Enix" and it makes me happy EVERY time. It's kinda creepy, but very clever, so I hope they don't change it in America.

Yeah, story-wise I was hoping for something extremely crazy, but oh well, seem like the story can still be great without the crazy about it. Also very surprised that they made the "Aishite! Aishite!" accually part of the Square-enix intro. It was in the last trailer at the very beginning. Did not expect it in-game. Makes me very happy, no matter how demented it is.

I would recommend you get the other endings. They are really a bunch of "what if?" ending, but still good to see. And to see the last one, which is just a gemmic one, but I heard a funny one at that!

Anyways, thanks for all the great info Pollyanna! Now I am really hyped for the second one state-side!

Moving Every Zig for GREAT JUSTICE!