Soul Calibur character creation - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (3822 Views )

Rid
6699th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Soul Calibur character creation" , posted Fri 24 Jun 22:13:post reply

You probably saw the awesome video from the E3 already, but...

http://namco-ch.net/ps2_soulcalibur3/mode/character_creation.php

http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/game/docs/20050624/sc3.htm

And this is what I'll create ASAP! So cute!

http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/game/docs/20050624/sc3_27.htm

[this message was edited by Rid on Fri 24 Jun 22:14]

Replies:

Ishmael
2072th Post

"Re(1):Soul Calibur character creation" , posted Fri 24 Jun 22:55post reply

The CAW system in SC3 continues to impress. I'm sure the game will be fun to play and all that but the idea that I'll be able to endlessly twiddle with the look of my character is what is really selling me on the game.

Juan
4185th Post

"Re(1):Soul Calibur character creation" , posted Sat 25 Jun 00:44:post reply

ARGHHH

Edit: ARGHHH

quote:
And this is what I'll create ASAP! So cute!

http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/game/docs/20050624/sc3_27.htm

[this message was edited by Juan on Sat 25 Jun 01:00]

HAYATO
437th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(2):Soul Calibur character creation" , posted Sat 25 Jun 01:46post reply

quote:
ARGHHH

*Sheer Heart Attack*

Daala
1013th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Re(3):Soul Calibur character creation" , posted Sat 25 Jun 12:33post reply

Oh wow!!

http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/game/docs/20050624/sc3_31.htm

=)

Amakusa
620th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(1):Soul Calibur character creation" , posted Sat 25 Jun 12:37post reply

Somehow none of them look appealing to me.

I found Kagami's sword in a junk yard.
I will rule the world and find that truly good cup of coffee.
"Dink-a-dink-a-dink-a-do."

Ammadeau
1384th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(1):Soul Calibur character creation" , posted Sat 25 Jun 14:31post reply

Yeah, none of them appeal to me either, but I really doubt it will stop me from getting it. I actually care more about how their moves and such are worked out. What would be amazing if it were RPG like where you need to train and 'level up' to gain better moves and such. I think that could keep people glued to the game for a long time.

Or a board game format identical to Project Justice. That would blow my mind.

Ammadeau.net - My own personal waste of time.

NARUTO
3124th Post

"Re(2):Soul Calibur character creation" , posted Sat 25 Jun 19:58:post reply

The more I see the characters creation system the worst it look for me...

IMO a custom mode would have been more than enought... Since I already see a tsunami of senseless characters, "Kusari Kama Gandalf" being a nice exemple...

BTW if the SC staff have wasted some time to draw art of some characters, why they didn't completely finish them??? given them a name and a story...it's optional but an origanl move list would have been nice too...

We are all mad at some point....

[this message was edited by NARUTO on Sat 25 Jun 20:03]

Siegfried
433th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(3):Soul Calibur character creation" , posted Sat 25 Jun 22:39post reply

The POINT is... some people have creativity, like me, and I'll spend HOURS making characters, as many as possible. Yeah, most people will make swimsuit girls or horribly horribly mismatched designs with disgusting colours, but this couldn't have been better for me. And in these sample pictures I see pieces that I can use to put together my characters... with better colours of course :)

quote:
The more I see the characters creation system the worst it look for me...

IMO a custom mode would have been more than enought... Since I already see a tsunami of senseless characters, "Kusari Kama Gandalf" being a nice exemple...

BTW if the SC staff have wasted some time to draw art of some characters, why they didn't completely finish them??? given them a name and a story...it's optional but an origanl move list would have been nice too...

----------------
Webmaster of Fighter Mania
kattuggla.oru.se/dmd01/dm0103/test/

Dr Baghead
3474th Post

"Re(3):Soul Calibur character creation" , posted Sun 26 Jun 01:52post reply

quote:
Or a board game format identical to Project Justice. That would blow my mind.

That's be great fun... FOR PEOPLE WITH ACCESS TO THE JAPANESE VERSION!

All us shlub Americans with no mod chips are gonna get shafted if they do that since you know they aren't gonna take the time to translate it just like with Project Justice!

They'll be all "eh, f**k this let's just make like 20 characters and call them hidden bonuses"

quote:

So wait you think The Gandalf character is a senseless design, but would rather he be an offical character with some kind of importance to the story instead of some crazy option you have as a look for a custom character?

They probably didn't make them offical characters because drawing a concept art takes far less time and cost less money then making a good looking model (with hidden costumes/weapons etc.), programming moves (if you want original move lists), recording voices (if they have a story it's likely they say something), writing the story.

I mean, did you ever play MK:Deadly Alliance, the bonus section is litered with concept arts for at least two dozen characters/redesigns they wanted to include in addition to a large assortment of stages, weapons, costumes, and other various goodies they wanted to use but because the budget wasn't there it all got scrapped(granted most was used in Deception, but at the time they couldn't use it)and in the X-Men movies there's been concept arts for Beast's movie design since X1, but he's just now about to show up... so obviously drawing concept art for a character is A LOT easier then making a character happen. And that's why they didn't make them offical (that and c'mon... Gandalf and I-No there make Necrid look like a logical character design... okay, not really)

Blanka and Dan make for a most excellent tag image (yeah still not funny)

Ammadeau
1386th Post

"Re(4):Soul Calibur character creation" , posted Sun 26 Jun 02:14post reply

They also did all kinds of concept stuff for the Sentinals for X2, including some cool looking models, which didn't end up getting used... but we might be going off topic.

Ammadeau.net - My own personal waste of time.

Baines
95th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(3):Soul Calibur character creation" , posted Sun 26 Jun 03:46post reply

quote:

Concept art isn't that hard to do. The hard part is making a completed character from scratch that measures up to the rest of the cast in every area, from concept to completion.

The CAW concept art in general doesn't measure up to the regular cast. The designs just don't click to that degree because they aren't entirely complete concepts to begin with, but rather more just generic outfit/design concepts. Only a very few look like they are pretty much ready, with most looking like they need quite a bit more work. And some outright don't fit the game, but would be find for a CAW design. Gandalf being a prime example, but not the only one.

The 3D models also aren't polished to the degree of the regular cast either, if you look at the models and the game shots of CAWs. The models would need to be improved further to be a "complete" character.

Namco can skimp on voice work, because they will just be CAWs and not true cast additions. They can make generic endings, if any endings at all. They don't need to come up with storylines, rivalries, or any of the other. Any original movesets just have to be adequate, not necessarily attempting "stellar."

To request that Namco finish them would first undermine the point of the CAW, and second assumes that there isn't that much more work to do to create a completed character. But there is a lot more work. Compare a generic pirate design with a mediocre model and generic moves versus the completed design for Cervantes. Or a generic samurai design versus the storyline, concept, and design of Mitsurugi. Or generic Ninja versus Taki.

Or to take a different approach, consider the CAWs as Necrid, then consider the work required to make Necrid a quality design comparable to Ivy, Voldo, Siegfried, and the rest.

Gojira
1761th Post

Silver Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(4):Soul Calibur character creation" , posted Sun 26 Jun 04:37post reply

I think they look every bit as bad as the normal characters, really.

Pollyanna
1227th Post

"Re(5):Soul Calibur character creation" , posted Sun 26 Jun 06:17post reply

quote:
I think they look every bit as bad as the normal characters, really.

Hahaha...well, every bit as bad, and then some, but in a good way. In a fun way, I think. Like the tambourine guy!? Holy crap!

Nate
611th Post

"Re(6):Soul Calibur character creation" , posted Sun 26 Jun 07:13post reply

quote:

Hahaha...well, every bit as bad, and then some, but in a good way. In a fun way, I think. Like the tambourine guy!? Holy crap!

Seriously. I want to get this game if only to smack people with a tambourine.

ワンダフル! ビューティフル! エキサイティング!

Pollyanna
1229th Post

"Re(7):Soul Calibur character creation" , posted Sun 26 Jun 07:17post reply

quote:

Seriously. I want to get this game if only to smack people with a tambourine.

I GUESS he smacks people. He might just shake them furiously and repel people.

Nate
612th Post

"Re(8):Soul Calibur character creation" , posted Sun 26 Jun 07:18post reply

quote:

I GUESS he smacks people. He might just shake them furiously and repel people.

Nah, they gave Voldo tambourines in SC2. There's definitely smacking.

ワンダフル! ビューティフル! エキサイティング!

Falikors
134th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(9):Soul Calibur character creation" , posted Sun 26 Jun 08:22post reply

I'd just make some bad ass dude with sweat pants and crazy martial arts moves. That's why its awesome.

メガ秘密攻撃#48:
牛インストールする!

Pollyanna
1230th Post

"Re(10):Soul Calibur character creation" , posted Sun 26 Jun 15:34post reply

quote:
I'd just make some bad ass dude with sweat pants and crazy martial arts moves. That's why its awesome.

What the hell are you talking about!?!?

Toxico
4085th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):Soul Calibur character creation" , posted Sun 26 Jun 15:50post reply

quote:

What the hell are you talking about!?!?

He said he wanted to do Tekken 4 diaper Heihachi, didn't you head him clearly enough?

See??? He is a God...