Favorite interfase design - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (1732 Views )

Rid
6698th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Favorite interface design" , posted Fri 24 Jun 11:52:post reply

What is the game that you have played where you liked more the overall look of the menus, options and indicators? While they don't do anything for the gameplay, they surelly make a game looks more finished.

My choices:

-Last Blade 2: Title screen, pre stage screens, character selection, energy bars, everything is beautiful and fits perfectly the game tone. The fonts used are great.

-Ikaruga: from the "walking" mode selection to the sleek score bar to the amazing sequences at the start of each level, beautiful.

-NOIZ2SA: because it's NOIZ2SA! Big squarey numbers!

[this message was edited by Rid on Fri 24 Jun 11:57]

Replies:

Time Mage
2186th Post

"Re(1):Favorite interface design" , posted Fri 24 Jun 18:35post reply

Metroid Prime: The title screen is superb, with that combination of image and music. The menus are perfectly integrated in Samus' helmet, and look great.

Viewtiful Joe: The title screen, the in-game display, the pause menu (complete with a great voiced phrase each level), the cutscenes... Everything oozes style.

HAYATO
436th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(2):Favorite interface design" , posted Fri 24 Jun 20:20post reply

Valkyrie Profile : IMO, this game has the best RPG interface I've ever seen (clear, intuitive and provides context explanations).

I also liked Thunderforce V's interface, that AI computer feeling was a great feature.

Korigama
65th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(2):Favorite interface design" , posted Fri 24 Jun 20:34post reply

-Viewtiful Joe
-KoF 2000
-SFIII: 3S
-GGXX/#R
-Devil May Cry 3 (enemy file system is better in DMC1, though)
-ZOE2
-CvS2 (I love the presentation, but I don't care for the game itself)
-SFA3
-Ace Combat 04
-R4: Ridge Racer Type 4
-FFVII, X
-Shadow Hearts 1 & 2

Holiday
2514th Post

"Re(1):Favorite interface design" , posted Sat 25 Jun 06:21post reply

Quartett!
To me, Quartett!'s Floating Frame Director system still remains the game to beat in terms of use of motion graphics and interface design.
It's kind of hard to describe; it's like the whole game is part of the interface as well? Unlike most bishoujo games with the traditional 'image fills the screen - text below' format, Quartett! manages to give 2d drawings a lot of life.
Apart from that, even the 'normal' menus and stuff are really really pretty.
The curious can download the trial version or some demo movies here (not entirely worksafe, and be careful of the wallpaper):
Downloads

Phantasy Star Online series
Really nice looking, clean, and easy to use - from the logo design, character creation screen to the game's menus. I even like the sound effects used for the interface.
The layout doesn't get in the way of gameplay, and when you need more info, the screen shrinks down so you don't have to stop the action. Great stuff.
Has become even better in PSO Blue Burst (although the website is a nightmarish mess).
Oh... 2x item drop rate on June 28th...

Thumbs up as well to Ikaruga and Thunderforce V.

Toxico
4076th Post

"Re(2):Favorite interface design" , posted Sat 25 Jun 07:32post reply

For some reason I can only remember SNES titles.... The ones I remember are super metroid (the pause screen was nice) and the chicken lay put of FF 6 (I think that it was the 6th or 8th one; I changed the colors so I would have white chickens with a green back ground).

See??? He is a God...

Rid
6704th Post

"Re(3):Favorite interface design" , posted Sat 25 Jun 11:35:post reply

I forgot to mention, Wipeout and Wip3out, because of Designers Republic...

http://www.thedesignersrepublic.com/

[this message was edited by Rid on Sat 25 Jun 13:01]

Time Mage
2188th Post

"Re(4):Favorite interface design" , posted Sat 25 Jun 18:44post reply

quote:
I forgot to mention, Wipeout and Wip3out, because of Designers Republic...

http://www.thedesignersrepublic.com/

Oh, how could I forget those! Specially Wip3out, the last good Wipeout, and the one with better design.

Also, Perfect Dark has a very nice menu and presentation design.

Burning Ranger
1223th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(1):Favorite interface design" , posted Sun 26 Jun 02:20post reply

quote:
What is the game that you have played where you liked more the overall look of the menus, options and indicators? While they don't do anything for the gameplay, they surelly make a game looks more finished.

I agree, there's a lot in just the presentation of the game that adds to experience. This includes menus, powerbars, icons and even pregame/postgame music. You all mentioned some good titles so I won't repeat them. But here are some others that I didn't see that I find really cool.

- Radiant Silvergun (I loved the Warning animation and the stage/boss narration. Plus, the character windows when someone spoke.

- Rez (I liked the stage select and all the other artistic touches that made the game feel like I was in a "Tron" world)

- Daytona USA 2 (The selection menu music sounds dramatic, as if you were watching it on ESPN. Plus, I love the Rolling Start pre-race cinemas where you see the driver inside the car)

Advanced Cyborg E. Branger AKA Burning Ranger

I like Appleseed...

Ishmael
2073th Post

"Re(2):Favorite interface design" , posted Sun 26 Jun 05:29post reply

One of my faves is Vampire Savior. From the between fights world map to the way the center flame burns away the life gauge of the character taking damage, everything in that game clicked for me.