Voice acting drama continues - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (1622 Views )

Ishmael
2066th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Voice acting drama continues" , posted Thu 23 Jun 04:26post reply

Pulled from IMDB:

The Screen Actors Guild's national executive committee on Tuesday rejected a contract covering voice-over actors on video games, even though the deal had been unanimously approved by a SAG negotiating committee composed entirely of voice-over actors. SAG's sister union, the American Federation of Television and Radio Artists, has approved the contract. One member of SAG's board, who asked not to be identified, told today's (Wednesday) Los Angeles Times that the rejection represented a slap in the face to actors working in the video game industry. "We are now perceived in our own industry as an organization that does not bargain in good faith," the board member said. Daily Variety pointed out today that the vote now leaves union jurisdiction over the video game industry entirely to AFTRA with all pension and health contributions going to that union. The fact that the contract does not provide residual payments to voice-over actors appeared to be the divisive issue. The industry had maintained that the actors contribute little to the success of their games and that if they were to make residual payments to them, they would certainly have to do the same for all the other creative talent responsible for the games.

Replies:

Pollyanna
1204th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(1):Voice acting drama continues" , posted Thu 23 Jun 07:09post reply

Does anyone here think voice actors DESERVE residual payments?

exodus
2779th Post

"Re(2):Voice acting drama continues" , posted Thu 23 Jun 07:14post reply

quote:

*ahem*

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Not in games. In stuff like Futurama, yeah, because their voices are what makes it. But when you have a shrek game with blondie mcwhatshername just talking the way she talks, fuck that.

Gojira
1757th Post

Silver Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(1):Voice acting drama continues" , posted Thu 23 Jun 07:30post reply

Wow. Just wow. God, when I heard they were getting pay raises, it made me sick. That's worse than residuals, because it means they get more whether the game does well or not. And they turned it down at the last minute. What a bunch of morons. At this point they may as well get residuals with a minimum of 400,000 units moved. Meaning they don't get a damn penny unless the game sells more than that. It'll be worse than what they were already offered, but oh fucking well.

Radish
2927th Post

"Re(3):Voice acting drama continues" , posted Thu 23 Jun 12:20post reply

quote:

*ahem*

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Not in games. In stuff like Futurama, yeah, because their voices are what makes it. But when you have a shrek game with blondie mcwhatshername just talking the way she talks, fuck that.

Yeah I agree. Not to sound mean, but I think the VAs are overestimating their leverage. While it's great to have speach in games (as long as it's well acted) it certainly isn't soumething that's integral to the experiance. I mean, most Nintendo games recycle the same few "Mama Mia" and "HEY LISTEN!" lines and they seem to do fine.

Spoon
1109th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member+

"Re(4):Voice acting drama continues" , posted Thu 23 Jun 15:18post reply

This is retarded.
And not in reference to the people posting, I mean.

Pollyanna
1212th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(5):Voice acting drama continues" , posted Thu 23 Jun 17:00post reply

Gojira: Actually, that's a good point. I would go for that. Even if it's a very high number, for BIG release games, that's reasonable. I don't think VAs deserve THAT much, but if the game is really racking in the money, then more people should benefit.

(On another note)

What about anime VAs, though? I mean, well...there's no such thing as an anime VA vs a game VA, but what I mean is, should they get money if the show they're in is broadcast?

As it is, the actors for a big show like DBZ get payed roughly the same rate a the actors for a DVD-only minor seller like Goemon.

exodus
2784th Post

"Re(6):Voice acting drama continues" , posted Fri 24 Jun 01:12post reply

quote:

What about anime VAs, though? I mean, well...there's no such thing as an anime VA vs a game VA, but what I mean is, should they get money if the show they're in is broadcast?

As much as they tend to suck, yeah, I think so.