Riviera: not for kids - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (3370 Views )

Rid
6690th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Riviera: not for kids" , posted Thu 23 Jun 03:22post reply

http://www.atlus.com/riviera/ Note the rating. And you all better get this game, it rocks!

majoria's news

Replies:

Radish
2926th Post

"Re(1):Riviera: not for kids" , posted Thu 23 Jun 03:26post reply

quote:
http://www.atlus.com/riviera/ Note the rating. And you all better get this game, it rocks!

Oh no drugs!

From the atlus forums there's also some bath scene which is uncut from the Japanese version.

Overall this game seems neat. Plus the extras on the website are cute. I've already beaten all the characters a Speed, but I don't think I have the patience to win the slots game.

exodus
2775th Post

"Re(2):Riviera: not for kids" , posted Thu 23 Jun 05:08post reply

can't wait to buy this. ngggg!! yay!

too bad about the english voices though. they really fucked up Cierra especially, who I liked a lot in the wsc version. Ah well, I'll just resort to my old fall-back Fia (cause you know - this game is part dating sim!).

well, in conclusion, I hope they didn't make it terrible somehow.

Nate
606th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(1):Riviera: not for kids" , posted Thu 23 Jun 05:19post reply

quote:

...Use of Drugs?

Buh?

ワンダフル! ビューティフル! エキサイティング!

exodus
2776th Post

"Re(2):Riviera: not for kids" , posted Thu 23 Jun 05:20post reply

I just watched all of the videos, and it looks like the game is still intact! And they did a decent job on keeping the cuteness of the dialog. Go check out videos 3~5...1 and 2 are just battles in practice mode.

Radish
2934th Post

"Re(3):Riviera: not for kids" , posted Sat 2 Jul 02:05post reply

Has anyone gotten this game yet? I just realized it was out and want to pick it up before the meager amount of copies Atlus shipped sell out.

However I've heard some pretty bad impressions about it and how you don't have a lot of control over your guys and that the writing is stiff. I'm just curious if people here enjoy it since a lot of people "forget" they hate Japanese RPGs, buy them and then complain about stuff inherant in the genre (OMG RANDOM BATTLES AND LINEAR STORYLINES!!! THIS GAME SUCKS!! )

exodus
2806th Post

"Re(4):Riviera: not for kids" , posted Sat 2 Jul 05:31post reply

you'll like it, I think. The dialog is pretty faithful to the original - it's simple but cute. No, you don't have total control of the characters, but to me, this cuts out all the BS. It's linear, but has branching paths, secret areas, etc. and the relationship aspect is rather complex. One thing that bugs me a little bit is that you can't choose which enemies to attack, but it doesn't wind up being TOO frustrating. It's cute, looks nice, and has a decent story. I think you should pick it up.

black_hayato
136th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(5):Riviera: not for kids" , posted Sat 2 Jul 14:31post reply

quote:
you'll like it, I think. The dialog is pretty faithful to the original - it's simple but cute. No, you don't have total control of the characters, but to me, this cuts out all the BS. It's linear, but has branching paths, secret areas, etc. and the relationship aspect is rather complex. One thing that bugs me a little bit is that you can't choose which enemies to attack, but it doesn't wind up being TOO frustrating. It's cute, looks nice, and has a decent story. I think you should pick it up.

I like it too. My main gripe is not being able to carry more than 4 items in a fight and that stages aren't re-visitable. You have to plan and know exactly what you are fighting and what you are capable of before hand. I've also reseted several times in a trial and error method to find the best items, cause it seems you can't get every item in a stage. There just isn't enough trigger points to go around.

Another thing thats great is that the characters are constantly talking. There's not point a to b then trigger event kind of thing. Nearly every movement is an event. It doesn't get boring.

Rid
6726th Post

"Re(6):Riviera: not for kids" , posted Sat 2 Jul 21:13post reply

I found the movement system to work perfect for a portable system, most of the complainers probably are playing it on emulator.

And with so much dialogs it doesn't get boring!

Great game.

Radish
2935th Post

"Re(7):Riviera: not for kids" , posted Sat 2 Jul 23:26post reply

Thanks guys. Sounds like an interesting take on the RPG setup so I'll have to secure a copy.

Rid
6727th Post

"Spanking Lina" , posted Mon 4 Jul 01:07post reply

The only complaint I have so far is the lack of a bigger inventory, but the item limit for battles isn't too annoying really.

As exodus said, the controlling system is just a simple and fast one, you don't waste time. And about the item finding, just do good enough in battles (fast ones, finish with a special) and you'll get enough exploration points to check the dungeon.

Best GBA rpg I've played (Well, besides Phantasia, but that's a port).

Juan
4190th Post

"Re(7):Riviera: not for kids" , posted Wed 6 Jul 01:40post reply

They really got the portable part right. I like the constant pauses and saves that the give you during the game. So if you need to stop and turn off the game you usually wont lose much progress.

The music reminds me of valkyrie profile and mega man x tracks. Which is good.

quote:
I found the movement system to work perfect for a portable system, most of the complainers probably are playing it on emulator.

And with so much dialogs it doesn't get boring!

Great game.

exodus
2808th Post

"Re(8):Riviera: not for kids" , posted Wed 6 Jul 02:01post reply

further impressions - yeah, I'd kind of forgotten about the annoyingly small inventory. I've worked around it this way: I rarely use support items, since you automatically heal after every battle. So I level up with the support items in practice mode, then discard them. also I try to use the less-durable items on bosses, instead of coveting them. Which is...tough to do. heh. I want to keep them forever.

It's funny, I'm not getting to do all of the same stuff I did when I played it on the wonderswan, but I am getting some different stuff this time round. Since certain events trigger other events, it's easy to miss out on stuff. I guess that's what gives the game replay value - you can't get everything in a single run.

I also like the relationship aspect... the situations where you use it are pretty well thought out.

exodus
2811th Post

"RID!" , posted Wed 6 Jul 03:27:post reply

Hey rid - I need the 'bath scene' rip for a magazine article. can you provide? that old link is down...
thanks!

[edit]
P.S. can you make it a PNG? <3

[this message was edited by exodus on Wed 6 Jul 04:26]

Rid
6729th Post

"X-Oh-Duh's!" , posted Wed 6 Jul 06:43post reply

hope this helps:
http://www.mmcafe.com/cgi-bin/imageboard/cbbs.cgi?mode=res&namber=1109&page=&no=0

exodus
2812th Post

"Re(1):X-Oh-Duh's!" , posted Wed 6 Jul 06:58post reply

you're the best!

Radish
2940th Post

"Re(2):X-Oh-Duh's!" , posted Wed 6 Jul 20:49post reply

Just posting to once again say that I've been able to find a game at a regular retail store after being told multiple times that I "would never be able to find a copy" from stupid game store clerks.

exodus
2814th Post

"Re(3):X-Oh-Duh's!" , posted Thu 7 Jul 01:11post reply

Heh...I love your new sig tag. It is new, right? I'm not just crazy?

Tell me if you like the game...I'm 90% sure you will though. You get a sense for peoples' tastes after you're on a board with them for a few years, hehe.

Radish
2943th Post

"Re(4):X-Oh-Duh's!" , posted Thu 7 Jul 03:09:post reply

quote:
Heh...I love your new sig tag. It is new, right? I'm not just crazy?

Tell me if you like the game...I'm 90% sure you will though. You get a sense for peoples' tastes after you're on a board with them for a few years, hehe.

Haha, no I've had it for a while. It was the "Vote Penguinists" tag until after the last election then I changed it back.

And thanks again for the recomendation. I have people I know in real life tell me about my "type of game" before I even hear about them. I guess it stands out more when you're the only one into Popn' Music and import RPGs.

[this message was edited by Radish on Thu 7 Jul 03:10]

threesixtee
876th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(5):X-Oh-Duh's!" , posted Tue 19 Jul 14:32post reply

bought it, played it for a couple of hours, and I'm really enjoying it. I had to search all of seattle to find a copy though... bastard was hard to find.