My new purpose in life... Destroy all Humans! - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (2118 Views )

Fuchikoma
1343th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Red Carpet Executive Member

"My new purpose in life... Destroy all Humans!" , posted Wed 22 Jun 11:30post reply

Anybody else get this today? This is such a highly entertaining game... it's a lot like GTA, just without the racism and bad graphics. There's just so much to do in the game... you can play like Under the Skin and disguise yourself and be all stealthy... or just go all out and blow everything away. Bonus points for radioactive exploding cows and anal probes that causes exploding heads.

... and that's just on foot! The UFO flying is super fun... although the cities have been rather small so far. Has to be my favorite game this year so far.

Replies:

Ammadeau
1379th Post

"Re(1):My new purpose in life... Destroy all H" , posted Wed 22 Jun 11:35post reply

Wait until your TK is strong enough to lift cars. There's something oddly satisfying about crushing a cop and knocking his body about with his own car just before it explodes.

Ammadeau.net - My own personal waste of time.

Fuchikoma
1344th Post

"Re(2):My new purpose in life... Destroy all H" , posted Wed 22 Jun 12:15post reply

quote:
Wait until your TK is strong enough to lift cars. There's something oddly satisfying about crushing a cop and knocking his body about with his own car just before it explodes.

Oh yeah that's another terrific thing about the game... it's the physics! It's about on par with Psi Ops... just on a much bigger scale. It actually works good for defense when you have a bunch of men in black shooting at you, just pick up something big to block. Hypnotizing someone as a distraction also works pretty good.

I love all the extras they've put in too... you can even watch the original Plan 9 from Outer Space. I can't wait to see what else this game has to offer.

Undead Fred
2401th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(1):My new purpose in life... Destroy all H" , posted Wed 22 Jun 12:16post reply

quote:
it's a lot like GTA, just without the racism and bad graphics.
...racism?

Anyway, I've been wondering about this game... it looked like a lot of fun, and I'm starting to need another game soon, so I was thinking about picking this up. Anyone else recommend it?

Mosquiton
1651th Post

Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"videogame rascism + DAH!" , posted Wed 22 Jun 23:46post reply

quote:
...racism?

The one thing that really struck me as racist in the last three GTAs was the depiction of the Triads in GTA3. Compared to the way the Italians and Japanese were depicted, the Chinese really got the shaft.

I won't get into this in detail again unless someone is begging for a refresher. Anyway, the problem was totally rectified in GTA: San Andreas.

BUT GETTING BACK ON TOPIC... and I'm dead serious when I say this...

The plot of Destroy all Humans! is built on (intergalactic) racism. Furons justify wiping out humanity because they consider themselves genetically superior. There are other aspects as well, but judging from the disappointing ending, I don't even think the designers actually realized what was going on in their own game.

Fun game to screw around with though. I just wish the world outside the story missions weren't so incredibly flat and boring.

/ / /

Undead Fred
2405th Post

"I've got a whole deck of race cards to play!" , posted Thu 23 Jun 08:52post reply

quote:
The one thing that really struck me as racist in the last three GTAs was the depiction of the Triads in GTA3. Compared to the way the Italians and Japanese were depicted, the Chinese really got the shaft.

I won't get into this in detail again unless someone is begging for a refresher. Anyway, the problem was totally rectified in GTA: San Andreas.

BUT GETTING BACK ON TOPIC... and I'm dead serious when I say this...

The plot of Destroy all Humans! is built on (intergalactic) racism. Furons justify wiping out humanity because they consider themselves genetically superior. There are other aspects as well, but judging from the disappointing ending, I don't even think the designers actually realized what was going on in their own game.

Fun game to screw around with though. I just wish the world outside the story missions weren't so incredibly flat and boring.

I'm not really gonna bother with GTA here, but I'll just say I don't think it's racist. It's not like any group of people are supposed to be good in those games... They all look bad. I'm just saying that people are really quick to start screaming RACISM!! at anything whether the claim has reason behind it or not. I remember reading a reader letter in a magazine where someone was calling Crazy Taxi racist because a fare jumped in the car and wanted to go to KFC and happened to be black (as if no one else jumped in and asked to go there). I also remember reading posts of some girl in Europe calling Maxis racist for releasing a Sims update in Europe after the US.

Anyway, I was reading a review for Destroy All Humans on GameSpot... they gave it a decent score, but they also said it was easy. I also noticed that Conker's out now too, so what would you guys recommend if I were to choose between the two? I want Destroy All Humans, but if it's going to be a total pushover and I'll be done with it in a day, I don't want to mess with it. I NEED INPUT PLEASE

Ishmael
2067th Post

"I've got a whole deck of rice cards to play!" , posted Thu 23 Jun 10:02post reply

quote:
I'm not really gonna bother with GTA here, but I'll just say I don't think it's racist. It's not like any group of people are supposed to be good in those games... They all look bad.

Exactly. When most every character in the game is a criminal of some description or another it's really hard to say that one group is coming across more poorly than another. Besides, is anybody looking for a sensitive, culturally aware portrayal of different ethnic groups when playing a GTA game?

Speaking of GTA and it's spawn, is there any sandbox type game out there that doesn't involve letting you rampage through the enviornment?

quote:
Anyway, I was reading a review for Destroy All Humans on GameSpot... they gave it a decent score, but they also said it was easy. I also noticed that Conker's out now too, so what would you guys recommend if I were to choose between the two? I want Destroy All Humans, but if it's going to be a total pushover and I'll be done with it in a day, I don't want to mess with it. I NEED INPUT PLEASE

Samurai Western, because it's such a low budget game that the cowboys can't even afford horses.

Mosquiton
1654th Post

"Re(1):I've got a whole deck of rice cards to" , posted Thu 23 Jun 10:19:post reply

quote:
I'm not really gonna bother with GTA here, but I'll just say I don't think it's racist. It's not like any group of people are supposed to be good in those games... They all look bad.

Exactly. When most every character in the game is a criminal of some description or another it's really hard to say that one group is coming across more poorly than another.

Oh come on. Saying it's hard to tell if one group is coming across worse than another is a ridiculous oversimplification. How familiar are you with the series, and have you played the game?

I'm telling you, the Triads get the shaft. If you model your other organized crime syndicates on semi-glorious gang movies, but skip the Hong Kong flicks and go straight to generic asian sterotypes you're doing a hack job.

quote:

Besides, is anybody looking for a sensitive, culturally aware portrayal of different ethnic groups when playing a GTA game?

If you're going to be dismissive, you might as well argue say "Well does it really matter? It's just a videogame."

Come on. Games can be discussed seriously. Really.

/ / /

[this message was edited by Mosquiton on Thu 23 Jun 10:30]

Fuchikoma
1346th Post

"Re(2):I've got a whole deck of rice cards to" , posted Thu 23 Jun 16:03post reply

Wow one little racism remark and it sparks a debate... anyway I just think that GTA is derogatory towards minorities... although Destroy all Humans is derogatory against the majory... the whole human race actually. Who doesn't enjoy a good commie bastard joke though.

The game is easy and pretty short... I'm just about finished after 2 days of semi-serious playing. The only stages I find to be pretty challenging at the saucer stages where you have a buttload of missiles flying at you while you're trying to level the town... the land missions get a little bland, but the funny story helps move them along.

I think the game is running on the Merceneries engine.... when you're on foot it feels very similar... just you can't drive any vehicles. I also hate the fact that if you hit water it's instant death like the early GTA games... I mean you can live in outer space but a little water and you drown? The game is good and like Mercenaries it's good for a mass destruction fix... not too much lasting appeal though.

Based on the original N64 Conker, I'd say that's the superior game... funny as hell.

Iggy
6787th Post

"Re(3):I've got a whole deck of rice cards to" , posted Thu 23 Jun 17:40post reply

Killer 7 is racist because there is a black man who shoots people.

ねんがんの ネ申ゲーをてにいれたぞ!

Undead Fred
2407th Post

"Re(2):I've got a whole deck of rice cards to" , posted Thu 23 Jun 18:25post reply

quote:
Oh come on. Saying it's hard to tell if one group is coming across worse than another is a ridiculous oversimplification. How familiar are you with the series, and have you played the game?

I'm telling you, the Triads get the shaft. If you model your other organized crime syndicates on semi-glorious gang movies, but skip the Hong Kong flicks and go straight to generic asian sterotypes you're doing a hack job.

First off, THEY'RE GANG MEMBERS. Who cares if they're positive role models? Since nothing really happens with the Triads in GTA3, they're just cannon fodder. Every pedestrian in that game has goofy voices. And again, the Triads are pretty normal in SA. I'm surprised you weren't complaining about the Yardies or Diablos or something. Or the Cubans and Haitians in VC. GTA isn't racist. White people look bad, Asians look bad, black people look bad, latinos look bad, and so on and so on. Everyone's a dirty bastard in the GTA world.

Anyway, about Samurai Western- is this out in the US? I don't think I've heard anything about it... What is it like?

Mosquiton
1654th Post

"Triads, then and now..." , posted Fri 24 Jun 00:20post reply

quote:

First off, THEY'RE GANG MEMBERS. Who cares if they're positive role models? And again, the Triads are pretty normal in SA. I'm surprised you weren't complaining about the Yardies or Diablos or something. Or the Cubans and Haitians in VC. GTA isn't racist.

So I say one thing about one game annoys me, and suddenly I'm claiming that the entire GTA series is racist? That's not what I'm getting at. All I'm saying is that the depiction of Triads in GTA3 has racist overtones, and is really unflattering compared to other the mafia and yakuza. Do you disagree?

So in GTAIII, you have the mafia. They wear suits, speak with a non-comical, non-exaggerated accent and drive limos and sedans.

Right next to them you have Triads. They wear shitty blue workman's clothes, speak with an obnoxious, fake asian accents ("me something long time!", "no money no problem")and drive laundry vans and fish trucks.

These are both supposedly organized crime syndicates. Would they have the Italians driving Pizza Delivery Vans and Olive Oil trucks? Of course not. That strikes me as inconsistent, and to me it hurts the game.

You mention that the Triads are 'pretty normal' in San Andreas. They're now well groomed and wear suits. The main triad character Wu Zi Mu is laid back and intelligent. Good observation. Surely something motivated the change.

Rockstar claims on the San Andreas website that they conducted "massive amounts of research before developing the gangs of San Andreas". And it shows. I think it's fairly obvious that Rockstar was working toward a more balanced, consistent tone and that their games are getting better for it.

It seems that whenever race comes up, everyone immediately goes on the defensive. Much more of a hot topic than sexuality, obviously. It makes people feel uncomfortable, and a lot of people would rather ignore it or glaze over anything controversial.

That's fine. I'm not big on the concept of race, personally, but the truth is that people are free to identify themselves any way they choose. I respect that, and I like to see game design respect that. Sorry to stir things up.

/ / /

Ishmael
2068th Post

"Re(1):Triads, then and now..." , posted Fri 24 Jun 01:54post reply

quote:
Come on. Games can be discussed seriously. Really.

I am being serious, I simply disagree with you.

quote:
So I say one thing about one game annoys me, and suddenly I'm claiming that the entire GTA series is racist? That's not what I'm getting at. All I'm saying is that the depiction of Triads in GTA3 has racist overtones, and is really unflattering compared to other the mafia and yakuza. Do you disagree?

To pillorize one part of a game for being offensive while the rest of the game is awash in the same style of generalization seems, to me, a tricky proposition. By judging one section of the game against another it gives tacit approval to the other parts of the game, setting up a "good stereotype/bad stereotype" quandary. Your sentence "All I'm saying is that the depiction of Triads in GTA3 has racist overtones, and is really unflattering compared to other the mafia and yakuza" could be interpreted to mean that the Triad depicted in GTA3 are a stereotype you were unhappy with while you were seemingly more comfortable with the other stereotypes but I'm certain that's not what you mean at all. If you want to say that in your opinion you didn't like the portrayal of the Triad gang compared to the other gangs that's understandable. But when you start throwing around inflammatory language like "racism" you're changing the conversation from discussing one part of the game to the entire presentation and how it connects with the culture at large. In a way I'm arguing semantics but words do have power.

Undead Fred
2410th Post

"Re(2):Triads, then and now..." , posted Fri 24 Jun 03:38post reply

quote:
It seems that whenever race comes up, everyone immediately goes on the defensive. Much more of a hot topic than sexuality, obviously. It makes people feel uncomfortable, and a lot of people would rather ignore it or glaze over anything controversial.

That's fine. I'm not big on the concept of race, personally, but the truth is that people are free to identify themselves any way they choose. I respect that, and I like to see game design respect that. Sorry to stir things up.

Actually, I wasn't trying to be defensive at all. I'm just a little tired of people claiming that something is racist when they don't really have any foundation to make that claim (like the examples I mentioned before about Crazy Taxi and Maxis). So, when someone says that Tenchu or Jet Grind Radio or any other random game/movie/etc is racist, I like to call them on it.

quote:

To pillorize one part of a game for being offensive while the rest of the game is awash in the same style of generalization seems, to me, a tricky proposition. By judging one section of the game against another it gives tacit approval to the other parts of the game, setting up a "good stereotype/bad stereotype" quandary. Your sentence "All I'm saying is that the depiction of Triads in GTA3 has racist overtones, and is really unflattering compared to other the mafia and yakuza" could be interpreted to mean that the Triad depicted in GTA3 are a stereotype you were unhappy with while you were seemingly more comfortable with the other stereotypes but I'm certain that's not what you mean at all. If you want to say that in your opinion you didn't like the portrayal of the Triad gang compared to the other gangs that's understandable. But when you start throwing around inflammatory language like "racism" you're changing the conversation from discussing one part of the game to the entire presentation and how it connects with the culture at large. In a way I'm arguing semantics but words do have power.

That's pretty much the way I saw it too. It is a semantics thing, but as you said, the words you choose may imply more meaning than you want. The point I was trying to make with bringing up those other gangs is that they're not really any different than the other gangs in the game. Ishmael's right.

I'm just surprised this didn't degrade into OMG NOT ALL ITALIANS ARE IN THE MAFIA!!

Ishmael
2070th Post

"Re(3):Triads I have loved..." , posted Fri 24 Jun 04:57post reply

I think the main problem was we had different impressions of just what the topic at hand was. Hopefully we're all on the same page now. Or maybe I still don't know what the hell is going on; that's a real possibility as well.

DAH runs on the Mercenaries engine? Are the trees still indestructible?

Oh, and Samurai Western is the third Way of the Samurai game but instead of the "samurai Shenmue" of the first two it's a straight ahead action game in which your samurai runs through each level chopping up dozens of cowboys. It's silly and rather low budget but I love it for the weird little niche game it is.

Undead Fred
2412th Post

"Use your bushido sense to deflect bullets!" , posted Fri 24 Jun 07:19:post reply

quote:
Oh, and Samurai Western is the third Way of the Samurai game but instead of the "samurai Shenmue" of the first two it's a straight ahead action game in which your samurai runs through each level chopping up dozens of cowboys. It's silly and rather low budget but I love it for the weird little niche game it is.

Ah, that's cool... so how it is on play time and difficulty and all that? Is it anything like Red Dead Revolver (except with a samurai in it)? I saw it in the store today, and I was seriously thinking about getting it...

EDIT: Punctua-shon.

[this message was edited by Undead Fred on Fri 24 Jun 07:19]

Spoon
1113th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member+

"Re(1):Use your bushido sense to deflect bulle" , posted Fri 24 Jun 09:17post reply

quote:

Ah, that's cool... so how it is on play time and difficulty and all that? Is it anything like Red Dead Revolver (except with a samurai in it)? I saw it in the store today, and I was seriously thinking about getting it...

EDIT: Punctua-shon.

Game is hella short if you just want to get from beginning to end.

Difficulty is generally easy, except when you are in "super kill everybody mode" and the camera gets stuck in some place just outside the level (was this fixed in US ver?), and you have to either restart or play the level blind. Also, a few bosses seem kinda cheap... but that's the way it is.

Earning new swords and costume pieces is kinda fun. The coffin is sooooo coooool.

Undead Fred
2413th Post

"Re(2):Use your bushido sense to deflect bulle" , posted Fri 24 Jun 10:42:post reply

quote:
Game is hella short if you just want to get from beginning to end.

Difficulty is generally easy, except when you are in "super kill everybody mode" and the camera gets stuck in some place just outside the level (was this fixed in US ver?), and you have to either restart or play the level blind. Also, a few bosses seem kinda cheap... but that's the way it is.

Earning new swords and costume pieces is kinda fun. The coffin is sooooo coooool.

Okay, so I have another question- out of the three, which would you guys choose? Destroy All Humans, Conker, or Samurai Western?

EDIT: I'm leaning toward Destroy All Humans since it's got the campy 50's thing and has Plan 9 on there... but I'd like input on the final choice.

[this message was edited by Undead Fred on Fri 24 Jun 11:12]

Ammadeau
1382th Post

"Re(3):Use your bushido sense to deflect bulle" , posted Fri 24 Jun 11:14:post reply

quote:
Okay, so I have another question- out of the three, which would you guys choose? Destroy All Humans, Conker, or Samurai Western?

http://www.d3p.co.jp/s_20/s20_080.html

[this message was edited by Ammadeau on Fri 24 Jun 11:15]

Undead Fred
2413th Post

"Re(4):Use your bushido sense to deflect bulle" , posted Fri 24 Jun 11:26post reply

quote:

Heh heh. I would be all over that if there was a US version...

Evenor
199th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(5):Use your bushido sense to deflect bulle" , posted Fri 24 Jun 14:50post reply

Does the game have a Anal Probe weapon?!?!?

肝臓入りのオレンジジュース!
腎臓混じりの甘口カレー!
膵臓仕込みのペスカトーレ!
愛しの愛しのサイコホラー

Ishmael
2071th Post

"Re(4):Use your bushido sense to deflect bulle" , posted Fri 24 Jun 22:51post reply

quote:

They made a sequel!?! Why nobody has brought this over to the US is a mystery to me.

Undead Fred
2415th Post

"Re(5):Use your bushido sense to deflect bulle" , posted Sat 25 Jun 05:47post reply

quote:

They made a sequel!?! Why nobody has brought this over to the US is a mystery to me.

I'd be happy to get my hands on either the first or second, I don't care. Yeah, it is pretty surprising that they haven't brought them over... are both a part of the $20 line or whatever in Japan?

Ammadeau
1383th Post

"Re(6):Use your bushido sense to deflect bulle" , posted Sat 25 Jun 14:26post reply

I didn't realize it until it was over, but Midas Interactive, who has been localizing some of these games in the UK, were at E3. I could have asked them about US and about the this series, though they don't seem to have any plans to bring them anywhere. It's a real shame because while other people might point out the flaws Oneechanbara and call it repetitive, it's still a great game to me that I can still pick up and enjoy... and get my ass handed to me now that I'm out of practice.

They did bring Sandlot's giant monster attack game to the UK, which is also getting a sequel coming out at the end of July. Another must have for me.

http://www.d3p.co.jp/s_20/s20_081.html

Red Falcon
5501th Post

"Re(7):Use your bushido sense to deflect bulle" , posted Sat 25 Jun 15:48post reply

quote:
It's a real shame because while other people might point out the flaws Oneechanbara and call it repetitive, it's still a great game to me that I can still pick up and enjoy... and get my ass handed to me now that I'm out of practice.

Yes, it's still lots of fun, and the same criticism could easily be applied to anything in the Sangoku/Sengoku Musou series, and they seem to be fairly popular in the U.S.

Best site EVER:Link Here