Anybody playing Haunting Grounds? - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (1825 Views )

Makondo99
272th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Copper Customer

"Anybody playing Haunting Grounds?" , posted Wed 22 Jun 09:14post reply

You know, the game with a cute girl and a dog.
I'm having fun with it so far, but I've been unable to play much..damn work

Replies:

Fuchikoma
1342th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(1):Anybody playing Haunting Grounds?" , posted Wed 22 Jun 11:25post reply

I think it's a highly under-rated game... I had a lot of fun playing it. It's on the short side though... it only took me around 9 and 1/2 hours to beat it... but there's multiple endings and alternate costumes to unlock. If you think Fiona is stacked now... unlock her bikini cowgirl outfit. PS2 graphics have really come a long way too... this game really is stunning. Although compared to Resident Evil 4... it't not much.

Hungrywolf
3055th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(2):Anybody playing Haunting Grounds?" , posted Wed 22 Jun 16:00post reply

quote:
I think it's a highly under-rated game... I had a lot of fun playing it. It's on the short side though... it only took me around 9 and 1/2 hours to beat it... but there's multiple endings and alternate costumes to unlock. If you think Fiona is stacked now... unlock her bikini cowgirl outfit. PS2 graphics have really come a long way too... this game really is stunning. Although compared to Resident Evil 4... it't not much.

I haven't heard of this game. What's it about? I'm currently addicted to RE4.

Hungry Like the Wolf

Fuchikoma
1345th Post

"Re(3):Anybody playing Haunting Grounds?" , posted Wed 22 Jun 16:59post reply

It's the game that's known as Demento in Japan... which makes more sense. The name Haunting Ground really doesn't make sense since it has nothing to do with ghosts. It's pretty much survival horror with a dog... similar to Dead to Rights or Shadow Dancer... you command your dog Hewie to attack or sniff out clues or to crawl into spaces you can't. You can't kill your enemies though... so you have to run and hide without panicing... the more you panic the more everything becomes all trippy until Fiona is histerical and running into walls trying to get away.

The story is you're a hot blonde that was just in a car accident... you wake up in a cage wearing nothing but a bed sheet... then you have to make your way through a creepy mansion as a sort of "guest".

The game isn't really scary though... you won't have any of those "jump out of your seat" moments like in Silent Hill or RE... but it's still enjoyable puzzle solving and running for your life.

Like I said before... it's short but there's replay value with the costumes you can unlock... like a "mistress" outfit complete with whip or the "bikini cowgirl" with a gun you can actually use. There's also an alchemy mini game... you'll collect elements through out the mansion and at certain points you can make items through alchemy... some of which can be used as weapons to stun your enemies. There's also multiple endings and rankings depending on how you treat or abuse your dog.

Pollyanna
1202th Post

"Re(4):Anybody playing Haunting Grounds?" , posted Wed 22 Jun 17:32:post reply

Demento's a mediocre game. You can play it or you cannot play it, and it's probably not going to change your life either way.

Well...but...Daniella changed MY life, I guess. I want to be just like her when I grow up.

And...yeah, "Haunting Ground" makes about as much sense as "Resident Evil" I suppose.

[this message was edited by Pollyanna on Wed 22 Jun 17:33]

NARUTO
3117th Post

"Re(5):Anybody playing Haunting Grounds?" , posted Wed 22 Jun 18:42post reply

quote:

Well...but...Daniella changed MY life, I guess. I want to be just like her when I grow up.

So you want a wierd haircut, with purple hair??

We are all mad at some point....

Pollyanna
1207th Post

"Re(6):Anybody playing Haunting Grounds?" , posted Thu 23 Jun 10:32post reply

quote:

So you want a wierd haircut, with purple hair??

I want it ALL.
I already go insane when I look in the mirror, though.

rook
42th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(1):Anybody playing Haunting Grounds?" , posted Thu 23 Jun 12:15post reply

I finished the game recently (got all endings). It's got a decent gameplay experience and it's a little underrated, but it's not good enough to warrant a "must play" status.

IMHO this is a right step for Capcom in terms of its survival horror games, where they delve more into developing a tense, psychologically-screwed-up feeling when playing the game... instead of just sticking you with overwhelming odds wrapped in zombie skins.

Main gripes are that the story and atmosphere are still not up to Silent Hill levels of creepiness -- Daniella is the only memorably freaky one in this game. Everyone else feels kinda "meh" on your second playthrough.

NARUTO
3121th Post

"Re(7):Anybody playing Haunting Grounds?" , posted Thu 23 Jun 18:10post reply

quote:
I want it ALL.
I already go insane when I look in the mirror, though.

That won't help you to find someone in life... running after them with an huge glass piece...

Pollyanna
1213th Post

"Re(8):Anybody playing Haunting Grounds?" , posted Thu 23 Jun 18:15post reply

quote:

That won't help you to find someone in life... running after them with an huge glass piece...

No, but it may help me find someone in DEATH!

OK...OK...sorry...that was bad.

Undead Fred
2409th Post

"Re(4):Anybody playing Haunting Grounds?" , posted Thu 23 Jun 18:37post reply

quote:
It's the game that's known as Demento in Japan... which makes more sense. The name Haunting Ground really doesn't make sense since it has nothing to do with ghosts. It's pretty much survival horror with a dog... similar to Dead to Rights or Shadow Dancer... you command your dog Hewie to attack or sniff out clues or to crawl into spaces you can't. You can't kill your enemies though... so you have to run and hide without panicing... the more you panic the more everything becomes all trippy until Fiona is histerical and running into walls trying to get away.

So, it sounds like a much less crappy Clock Tower 3 combined with Dead to Rights? How's the difficulty level and play time and all that?

NARUTO
3123th Post

"Re(9):Anybody playing Haunting Grounds?" , posted Thu 23 Jun 19:08:post reply

quote:
No, but it may help me find someone in DEATH!

OK...OK...sorry...that was bad.

LOL !! ^^

BTW a friend told me that, when you finish the game, you can get some secret costume for the enemis as well... Is that true?

[this message was edited by NARUTO on Thu 23 Jun 20:23]

Fuchikoma
1347th Post

"Re(5):Anybody playing Haunting Grounds?" , posted Fri 24 Jun 02:06post reply

There's a lot that you can unlock, all the enemies have one alternate costume that you can get, even your dog Hewie has alternate costumes... including one that turns him into a stuffed animal... or regular German Shepard colors (which makes him stronger, but also harder to control).

The game is relatively easy, but at the same time I never really found myself bored with the game. I breezed through in about 9 and 1/2 hours, but with all the extras it's a game that's definitely meant to be played through multiple times. Hewie the dog is what really makes the game... they keep track of your relationship with him. You can kick him, not feed him, and really abuse him until he dies if you want (that's one of the alternate endings) or you can play ball with him, pet him... I mean Nintendogs has got nothing on Hewie.

One other interesting thing is that the way the game is set up, it's really never exactly the same each time you play through. Events don't have to happen in some exact sequence... and different things will happen in different situations. It's one of those games that's just good, but not great.

Pollyanna
1215th Post

"Re(6):Anybody playing Haunting Grounds?" , posted Fri 24 Jun 06:23post reply

Whoawhoawhoa.
Does Daniella have an extra costume? I wanna seeee.

Spoon
1111th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member+

"Re(6):Anybody playing Haunting Grounds?" , posted Fri 24 Jun 09:11post reply

quote:
I mean Nintendogs has got nothing on Hewie.

Don't worry, once they combine the surgery game franchise with the Nintendogs franchise, you'll be able to abuse and kill them in all sorts of horror movie mad doctor ways.

Makondo99
274th Post

Copper Customer

"Question" , posted Fri 24 Jun 09:21post reply

I'm experiencing horrible load times and freezings... Has this happened to anyone of you?

Gojira
1759th Post

Silver Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(7):Anybody playing Haunting Grounds?" , posted Fri 24 Jun 09:23post reply

quote:
I mean Nintendogs has got nothing on Hewie.

Don't worry, once they combine the surgery game franchise with the Nintendogs franchise, you'll be able to abuse and kill them in all sorts of horror movie mad doctor ways.

Anyway, just how violent is this game? I know you spend most of the time running away instead of killing things, but Clock Tower 3 was surprisingly tame for a horror title, and there's that recent censorship movement going on in Japan so I was wondering about it. I still remember my experience with the first PSX one, where scissorman decapitated me coming out of the bathroom stall. To this day I still don't use public bathrooms.

whitesword
1581th Post

Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(7):Anybody playing Haunting Grounds?" , posted Fri 24 Jun 10:38post reply

quote:
Whoawhoawhoa.

hidden button, next to "Goods"

Spoon
1114th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member+

"Re(8):Anybody playing Haunting Grounds?" , posted Fri 24 Jun 12:22post reply

quote:
Whoawhoawhoa.

hidden button, next to "Goods"

Oneechanpara....

Pollyanna
1218th Post

"Re(9):Anybody playing Haunting Grounds?" , posted Fri 24 Jun 17:40post reply

Hmmm...I'm not seeing Daniella. I've already seen the Fiona costumes. They're fun, but sort of...erm...tasteless.

rook
43th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(10):Anybody playing Haunting Grounds?" , posted Fri 24 Jun 18:22post reply

quote:
Hmmm...I'm not seeing Daniella. I've already seen the Fiona costumes. They're fun, but sort of...erm...tasteless.

The other characters' costumes are pretty much palette swaps for the most part. Daniella's is red instead of a drab blue-green.

Some detailing which changes with the costume (like the cut of the clothing, & patterns on the clothing), but it's nothing as drastic in terms of modelling as Fiona's frog costume or Hewie's stuffed toy costume.

EddyT
502th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"How do you play with Hewie?" , posted Sun 26 Jun 07:20post reply

I was able to shake hands with Hewie, but how do you use the ball to play with him? I can't pick up the ball, and Hewie won't get the ball for me if I throw it or kick it. Any help is appreciated... thanks.

Fuchikoma
1349th Post

"Re(1):How do you play with Hewie?" , posted Sun 26 Jun 09:49post reply

quote:
I was able to shake hands with Hewie, but how do you use the ball to play with him? I can't pick up the ball, and Hewie won't get the ball for me if I throw it or kick it. Any help is appreciated... thanks.

Your friendship with Hewie has to be pretty high for him to play fetch... when you first find the ball he likely won't play with you. I haven't figured out how to pick up the ball either, just kick it... and when you leave the area it just comes back to your inventory.