Gunz Online - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (8581 Views )

DarkZero
1249th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Gunz Online" , posted Sat 18 Jun 17:54post reply

The international version of this game is in open beta right now, but it's a Korean game, so just like Gunbound and Pangya, it follows the "Free forever (even when beta's done), but you pay for high-end items" business model. It's basically multiplayer third person Matrix/Max Payne/Devil May Cry. You get to carry a melee weapon, such as a dagger, katana, or dual kodachis ("ANDERSOOOOOON!!!", and two ranged weapons, which range from pistols, dual pistols, uzis, dual uzis, rifles, shotguns, and rocket launchers.

It basically plays like Devil May Cry, letting you dodge around the screen, run up walls, send enemies flying up in their air with your sword, etc. To some degree, it's very shallow, but it has a lot of great game types, which gives it a lot of replay value. My two favorites are Swords (melee combat only) and Assassination, which basically designates one person on each team as "it" and the other team only wins when they die.

It's a really fun game and it's worth a try, but in order to log in, you basically have to highlight the Login button and press enter over and over for a minute or two, because the servers are always at full capacity and you have to wait for someone to log out in order to log in. It's a pain, but it's worth it.

Gunz Online

Replies:

catalyst
56th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(1):Gunz Online" , posted Sun 19 Jun 12:19post reply

quote:
The international version of this game is in open beta right now, but it's a Korean game, so just like Gunbound and Pangya, it follows the "Free forever (even when beta's done), but you pay for high-end items" business model. It's basically multiplayer third person Matrix/Max Payne/Devil May Cry. You get to carry a melee weapon, such as a dagger, katana, or dual kodachis ("ANDERSOOOOOON!!!", and two ranged weapons, which range from pistols, dual pistols, uzis, dual uzis, rifles, shotguns, and rocket launchers.

It basically plays like Devil May Cry, letting you dodge around the screen, run up walls, send enemies flying up in their air with your sword, etc. To some degree, it's very shallow, but it has a lot of great game types, which gives it a lot of replay value. My two favorites are Swords (melee combat only) and Assassination, which basically designates one person on each team as "it" and the other team only wins when they die.

It's a really fun game and it's worth a try, but in order to log in, you basically have to highlight the Login button and press enter over and over for a minute or two, because the servers are always at full capacity and you have to wait for someone to log out in order to log in. It's a pain, but it's worth it.

Gunz Online

Zero, you wouldn't happen to know how to drop the ping rate would you? Everytime I'm on I see everyones ping rate up at 999, and I can't seem to get that down or join apart of the game. I see the words at the bottom of people getting killed but I see everyone else on the screen stuck except for myself. But yeah the login is really a pain, I tried it on the first day and it was flooded. They really just need to boot the lurkers who are sitting in the lobby doing nothing.

"Have some confidence in me Pris--the odds are only two against one." -- Cole Cash "Grifter"

KTallguy
643th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(2):Gunz Online" , posted Sun 19 Jun 14:26:post reply

quote:
Zero, you wouldn't happen to know how to drop the ping rate would you? Everytime I'm on I see everyones ping rate up at 999, and I can't seem to get that down or join apart of the game.

Same problem ... =(

Edit: This guy might be on to something but I have no access to my router... oh well ...

"I am behind a router, and I fixed my 999 ping problem by setting up port forwarding. For those of you who know how to configure your router already, forward port 7700 to your local IP. For those that don't know how to configure your router, you will need to find your router manual, or look online for one. Googling your router model usually works, but you can also go to portforward.com and look for your specific router model in the forwarding section. To find your local IP address (192.168.xxx.xxx), click start, run, then type "cmd" without the quotes and press enter. You should see a DOS style console, just type "ipconfig" without the quotes and press enter. If you are behind a router, the number next to "IP Address" should read "192.169.xxx.xxx", where the Xs show numbers unique to your computer on your local area network. Forward port 7700 to that IP address, and you should be good. I hope this helps, as I cannot possibly help everyone figure out how to use their specific router."

Proud Supporter of Next Generation GAMEPLAY
"テメエがヤクブソクなんだよ!"

[this message was edited by KTallguy on Sun 19 Jun 15:01]

DarkZero
1250th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(3):Gunz Online" , posted Sun 19 Jun 17:01post reply

It's worth noting that as of yesterday, my ping has been higher, the servers have been crashing, I've lagged out more often, and it's been harder and harder to log in. Part of this is because Comcast is apparently going whacky on me, but a quick look in the Gunz forums shows that everyone is having very similar problems. It seems to be as much a problem on their end as yours.

It's odd that even though the game has been out for awhile in Korea, the international version is very buggy. Several pieces of clothing appear as nothing but a mass of glitched items over the characters, the login process is horrendous, there's no system for kicking AFKers, and the lag is sort of ridiculous. At 4-7AM EST on a Tuesday or Wednesday night, this game is unbelievably awesome, but on a weekend, it's just a buggy mess.

Also, on a completely different note, there's something that I'm curious about, because I'm not sure if it's a bug or a cool design decision:
I'm running a pretty decent system, but my video card is the weak link, being only a Radeon 9200 AGP card. When characters are very far away, like if you stare at them diagonally across the Mansion stage, do they appear as characters in dark trench coasts? From very far away, everyone appears to be wearing a dark trenchcoat, but when they get closer, their sprite is drawn correctly. If it's a bug, it's a really cool one.

nothingxs
0th Post

New Customer

"Re(1):Gunz Online" , posted Mon 22 Aug 05:15post reply

quote:

Gunz Online

There's alot more to the game than you're giving it credit for, including a bunch of glitches that actually give it a very Street Fighter II-ish charm by adding a set of complex moves and "combos" through cancelling of moves.

It's really fun. I've been playing it almost religiously, now.

- n o t h i n g x s -
it didn't turn out the way you wanted it did it