who's that tAmerican eenage painter? - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (3032 Views )

Kikkoken
888th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"who's that teenage American painter?" , posted Sat 11 Jun 06:09:post reply

A few years ago, I saw a report on a French channel showing a successful teenage American painter who was selling his paintings at a huge price. If I remember well, his works were a mix of naive painting and collage, and he incorportad a fair amount of text in them. I think he was inspired by ghettos like Bronx, but I may be wrong. If anyone knows who I am describing, please tell me his name.

[this message was edited by Kikkoken on Sat 11 Jun 06:10]

Replies:

JLG
97th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(1):who's that teenage American painter?" , posted Sat 11 Jun 11:52post reply

quote:
A few years ago, I saw a report on a French channel showing a successful teenage American painter who was selling his paintings at a huge price. If I remember well, his works were a mix of naive painting and collage, and he incorportad a fair amount of text in them. I think he was inspired by ghettos like Bronx, but I may be wrong. If anyone knows who I am describing, please tell me his name.

Was it a current artist? Because that sounds a lot like Jean-Michel Basquiat, but he died in 1988.

Some of his work is in this Slate feature and a lot more here

Kikkoken
889th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(2):who's that teenage American painter?" , posted Sun 12 Jun 04:00post reply

quote:

Was it a current artist? Because that sounds a lot like Jean-Michel Basquiat, but he died in 1988.

Some of his work is in this Slate feature and a lot more here

WOW! That's it! The paintings are as I remembered them. Thank you so much JLG. Strangely enough, for some reason I thought the artist was a white 14 year-old boy (and that was some 5 years ago, maybe). I must have merged two memories into one.