Mac thread....Intel CPU? Winamp Tv? - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (3244 Views )

Bootation
464th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Gold Customer

"Mac thread....Intel CPU? Winamp Tv?" , posted Mon 6 Jun 10:17post reply

Hi ya'all. I gotta say im really surprised apple is switching to intel cpu's. I guess its for downloading movies and the whole drm thing. Kind of a bummer tho. I can't wait for Jobs to wrap it all up in a nice package tho.

http://blog.wired.com/cultofmac/

Very informative website.

Also does anyone know of how i can watch all those awesome winamp tv stations on a mac? I heard its possible through VLC but i dont know how to browse through all the stations in such an easy format like shoutcast has. I heard x11 emulator of the linux prog xmms migh work but....

Pretty please check out my neato sweet awesome webpage

Replies:

shin ramberk
128th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(1):Mac thread....Intel CPU? Winamp Tv?" , posted Mon 6 Jun 14:35post reply

quote:
Hi ya'all. I gotta say im really surprised apple is switching to intel cpu's. I guess its for downloading movies and the whole drm thing. Kind of a bummer tho. I can't wait for Jobs to wrap it all up in a nice package tho.

Also does anyone know of how i can watch all those awesome winamp tv stations on a mac? I heard its possible through VLC but i dont know how to browse through all the stations in such an easy format like shoutcast has. I heard x11 emulator of the linux prog xmms migh work but....

I really doubt that Macs will be switching to Intel. The newsreporting is flat out wrong or its a rumor turned into news. The strongest possibility is that Apple will be using Intel chips for some other function besides CPUs. Or they could even have Intel produced G4/G5 chips. Apple partially owns the G4/G5 chip designs-- they could ask another vendor to make them. Intel also makes a lot of other microchips besides CPUs.

Go buy the new Warlock series by Marvel. It is good support this title!

Bootation
465th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(2):Mac thread....Intel CPU? Winamp Tv?" , posted Tue 7 Jun 05:21post reply

Well, its a fact. They are switching. Apparently they have been compatible with intel for the last 5 years which i remember hearing about vaguely a build or 2 was...

I'm a little bummed but i think this will make apple cheaper and more competetive. Now im waiting for a tablet pc and WINAMP TV for it....
\http://www4.macnn.com/macnn/wwdc/05/

quote:

I really doubt that Macs will be switching to Intel. The newsreporting is flat out wrong or its a rumor turned into news. The strongest possibility is that Apple will be using Intel chips for some other function besides CPUs. Or they could even have Intel produced G4/G5 chips. Apple partially owns the G4/G5 chip designs-- they could ask another vendor to make them. Intel also makes a lot of other microchips besides CPUs.

shin ramberk
129th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(3):Mac thread....Intel CPU? Winamp Tv?" , posted Tue 7 Jun 14:42post reply

I couldn't believe it, even when I read it. But its true. WOW. I have mixed feelings on this.

On the bad side, well, this just means that we're going to go through another transition process were all our favorites applications will get broken and we'll have to wait who knows how long till new ones are built. And the market will get segmented between Intel/PowerPC.

On the good side-- well, Apple is excited about this. Steve hinted that very good things would come from this but he could just be shooting bs. The other good thing is that it will make porting Windows apps to the Mac a lot easier (probably). And hopefully it will lower the price of Macs.

I'm excited but angry. I don't want my computers to be obsolete but now they will be for sure. I'm excited because this does open a lot of possibilities. We'll see. 10.4 might be the last PowerPC Mac OS. :(

At least now we can have direct Windows/Linux/Mac OS comparisons with all three running on the same processors.

I always thought that AMD made better processors then Intel and that IBM made better processors then both? Eh...

quote:
Well, its a fact. They are switching. Apparently they have been compatible with intel for the last 5 years which i remember hearing about vaguely a build or 2 was...

I'm a little bummed but i think this will make apple cheaper and more competetive. Now im waiting for a tablet pc and WINAMP TV for it....
\http://www4.macnn.com/macnn/wwdc/05/

Go buy the new Warlock series by Marvel. It is good support this title!

Kaepora
420th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(4):Mac thread....Intel CPU? Winamp Tv?" , posted Tue 7 Jun 15:47post reply

The best reason for the change I've heard so far (it's still early, of course) is so Apple laptops will keep scaling upward; as it stands now, we're not going to get anything better than a G4 into a portable, battery-dependant machine.

I seriously doubt anything will change from the end user's perspective. Apple will still lock people into their hardware through other non-CPU means, and support for PPC software will extend until the software needs better hardware anyway or the customer is wanting to update their machine anyway.

Being a new Mac user (switched and bought one of the new iMac G5 machines when they came out), it seems like I should be upset at this news. But in truth, I really don't feel upset or anything.

Bootation
476th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(5):Mac thread....Intel CPU? Winamp Tv?" , posted Thu 16 Jun 15:10post reply

quote:
The best reason for the change I've heard so far (it's still early, of course) is so Apple laptops will keep scaling upward; as it stands now, we're not going to get anything better than a G4 into a portable, battery-dependant machine.

I seriously doubt anything will change from the end user's perspective. Apple will still lock people into their hardware through other non-CPU means, and support for PPC software will extend until the software needs better hardware anyway or the customer is wanting to update their machine anyway.

Being a new Mac user (switched and bought one of the new iMac G5 machines when they came out), it seems like I should be upset at this news. But in truth, I really don't feel upset or anything.

This is gonna sound prety nerdy but im afraid for the future of my beloved platform. But, I believe that steve jobs will lead us forward like moses parted the red sea. By "us" i guess i refer to the general population because he has lead us forward as a species with mainstream acceptance of the apple II(the first major pc) and the gui. Along with wireless and numerous other advances.

PeACE