Funamizu back to the arcades (DBZ) - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (3997 Views )

Iggy
6645th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Funamizu back to the arcades (DBZ)" , posted Sun 5 Jun 19:47post reply

Funamizu + Toriyama + DBZ in the arcades, made by Banpresto, probably distributed by Capcom like the Gundam games, no release date, name chô DBZ.

Meh.

ねんがんの ネ申ゲーをてにいれたぞ!

Replies:

Stifu
178th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(1):Funamizu back to the arcades (DBZ)" , posted Sun 5 Jun 19:52post reply

2D or 3D ?
I guess 3D is more likely...

Syo
133th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(1):Funamizu back to the arcades (DBZ)" , posted Mon 6 Jun 05:36post reply

quote:
Funamizu + Toriyama + DBZ in the arcades, made by Banpresto, probably distributed by Capcom like the Gundam games, no release date, name chô DBZ.

Meh.

Wait, so Funamizu is in charge of a new DBZ game. What exactly is Toriyama contributing to it? It's just a bit dubious since I thought Toriyama wanted nothing to do with DragonBall as a whole anymore since it was stealing the limelight from anything else he made before or after...

"YO-HO! BOKU LIME!"

Iggy
6647th Post

"Re(2):Funamizu back to the arcades (DBZ)" , posted Mon 6 Jun 05:54post reply

quote:
Wait, so Funamizu is in charge of a new DBZ game. What exactly is Toriyama contributing to it?
Probably signing a contract here and there, appearing in a few events to promote the game and say "it's a good game", and getting paid an extremely wide check with many zeroes.
But that's my guess.

ねんがんの ネ申ゲーをてにいれたぞ!

Sano
1813th Post

Silver Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(3):Funamizu back to the arcades (DBZ)" , posted Mon 6 Jun 06:38post reply

Very happy to know what Funamizu is up to nowadays. Thanks.

Ryu and Chun-Li forever!

Cain Highwind
568th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(4):Funamizu back to the arcades (DBZ)" , posted Mon 6 Jun 07:14post reply

quote:

Wasn't there a Dragonball game in development a couple years ago (I think it was Janurary 2002 or something) and rumors were flying about Dragonball vs Capcom.

And I thought Funamizu left Capcom.

OYashiroForever
834th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(5):Funamizu back to the arcades (DBZ)" , posted Mon 6 Jun 12:46post reply

quote:

He did. This is apparently going to be distributed by Capcom.

"Only two things are infinite the universe and human stupidity and I'm not sure about the former."

"Your denial is beneath you and thanks to the use of hallucinogenic drugs I see through you."

Radish
2896th Post

"Re(3):Funamizu back to the arcades (DBZ)" , posted Mon 6 Jun 20:33post reply

quote:
Wait, so Funamizu is in charge of a new DBZ game. What exactly is Toriyama contributing to it? Probably signing a contract here and there, appearing in a few events to promote the game and say "it's a good game", and getting paid an extremely wide check with many zeroes.
But that's my guess.

You forgot that he will swim in the money afterwards in his gigantic money bin.

Sano
1814th Post

"Re(5):Funamizu back to the arcades (DBZ)" , posted Mon 6 Jun 22:41post reply

quote:

Wasn't there a Dragonball game in development a couple years ago (I think it was Janurary 2002 or something) and rumors were flying about Dragonball vs Capcom.

From what I know that was just a rumor that appeared in the rumor mill section of EGM. People took it as if it was real. Methinks they confused the info that Capcom would be working with Bandai which first started around that time with Gundam games and such, that's how rumors like this get started.

Ryu and Chun-Li forever!

Fuchikoma
1339th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(6):Funamizu back to the arcades (DBZ)" , posted Tue 7 Jun 16:16post reply

From what I remember about the DBZ vs Street Fighter rumor came from a certain japanese site... I think it was challenger am... and they had a listing for Capcom developing an arcade game based on the original Dragon Ball. If you search the news page here you'll probably find the story. Perhaps it was a game that Funamizu wanted to do at Capcom, but for whatever reason he couldn't... so he's doing now at Craft and Meister. I kinda hate Funamizu anyway... when he left Capcom that pretty much killed Sammy vs Capcom.

There's supposed to be images of Chou DBZ in the latest issue of Shonen Jump... it'a 3D game.

Time Mage
2153th Post

"Re(7):Funamizu back to the arcades (DBZ)" , posted Wed 8 Jun 00:37post reply

quote:
I kinda hate Funamizu anyway... when he left Capcom that pretty much killed Sammy vs Capcom.

Sheesh! Don't even mention the subject. If we ignore the fact that Funamitsu left Capcom, I can continue living in my wonderful alternative world in which Sammy vs Capcom is going to be released soon.

Iggy
6661th Post

"Re(7):Funamizu back to the arcades (DBZ)" , posted Wed 8 Jun 00:40post reply

quote:
when he left Capcom that pretty much killed Sammy vs Capcom.
Or maybe the project was doomed from the beginning, because it was very dumb ?
I guess we'll never know.

ねんがんの ネ申ゲーをてにいれたぞ!

Sano
1816th Post

"Re(7):Funamizu back to the arcades (DBZ)" , posted Wed 8 Jun 01:12:post reply

quote:
From what I remember about the DBZ vs Street Fighter rumor came from a certain japanese site... I think it was challenger am... and they had a listing for Capcom developing an arcade game based on the original Dragon Ball. If you search the news page here you'll probably find the story. Perhaps it was a game that Funamizu wanted to do at Capcom, but for whatever reason he couldn't... so he's doing now at Craft and Meister. I kinda hate Funamizu anyway... when he left Capcom that pretty much killed Sammy vs Capcom.

Okay, because all of the internet discussions we had back in the day regarding DBZ vs. Capcom revolved around the EGM article, didn't realize there was another source, thanks.

I'm glad it didn't happen though. The Art Styles are really different, and DBZ has characters that can blow up planets and heal themselves with a stupid bean... I'd rather DBZ vs. Marvel or DC, but like I said the art styles are very different. The DBZ characters seem well in place in the Jump All Stars DS game, the art styles are all manga-esque and similar enough. Still, I can't think of any scenario where Luffy or Naruto would beat up Goku or Vegeta but eh, not every crossover match up makes storyline sense.

EDIT: Regarding Funamizu - I thought when people left big companies they took risks. There's... nothing safer than making a DBZ game, even if it sucks it will sell woldwide. Maybe his next project will be more risky/daring/inovative I hope.

Ryu and Chun-Li forever!

[this message was edited by Sano on Wed 8 Jun 02:50]

Iggy
6686th Post

"[rumor]" , posted Thu 9 Jun 04:55post reply

The game would be developed by Craft & Mister (Kraft ? Maister ? Funamizu's new company).

Several people of the Third Strike team would be on it.

ねんがんの ネ申ゲーをてにいれたぞ!

Cain Highwind
570th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(1):[rumor]" , posted Thu 9 Jun 09:10post reply

quote:
The game would be developed by Craft & Mister (Kraft ? Maister ? Funamizu's new company)

Kraft geets his noodle going!

Sorry, couldn't resist. I believe Gamespot mentioned that but I didn't know it comprised of the SF3 team, awesome!

Spoon
1052th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Re(1):[rumor]" , posted Thu 9 Jun 10:46post reply

quote:
The game would be developed by Craft & Mister (Kraft ? Maister ? Funamizu's new company).

Would these people actually be important people, or just random people?

Tai-Pan
22th Post

New Customer

"Re(1):[rumor]" , posted Thu 9 Jun 11:28post reply

quote:

Maybe they get something really good, im gonna be positive about all this.

hayaku!!

Time Mage
2157th Post

"Re(2):[rumor]" , posted Thu 9 Jun 17:25post reply

To do something really good, you not only need good people, but enough time and money, too. That's why Funamizu and part of the SFIII team doesn't ensure anything, even if it's promising.

Pollyanna
1160th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member+

"Re(3):[rumor]" , posted Thu 9 Jun 17:52post reply

quote:
To do something really good, you not only need good people, but enough time and money, too. That's why Funamizu and part of the SFIII team doesn't ensure anything, even if it's promising.

I'm not sure how/if time works into the equation, but I think Banpresto+DBZ=money for sure.

Time Mage
2159th Post

"Re(4):[rumor]" , posted Thu 9 Jun 17:57post reply

Having enough time to make a game is not a guarantee of success, but lack of development time has killed so many (promising or not) games that it's not even funny.

quote:
but I think Banpresto+DBZ=money for sure.

That's for sure. I'd also add Banpresto + Anime license = Wasted license 99% of the time.

NARUTO
3087th Post

"Re(8):Funamizu back to the arcades (DBZ)" , posted Thu 9 Jun 18:34post reply

quote:
Or maybe the project was doomed from the beginning, because it was very dumb ?
I guess we'll never know.

Can you explain me what make the project that dumb?? Or at least more dumb than any other capcom vs Like MVC or CVS???

For this game there were (still are?) many fans and players interested.
And with GG's world there was hight chances for a lots of Vampire chatacers or Star gladitor one.
And Without capcom making sequels for those game it was (Is?) one of the rare chances to play with those kind of characters.

Weld done the game would have been (will be?) quite sucsessfull. At least more than game like Neowave, GG R#...

We are all mad at some point....

Iggy
6690th Post

"Re(9):Funamizu back to the arcades (DBZ)" , posted Thu 9 Jun 18:43post reply

quote:
Can you explain me what make the project that dumb?? Or at least more dumb than any other capcom vs Like MVC or CVS???
Because M and S had wide IPs.
Sammy has nothing to offer beside GG until they swallow Imoya and Sega.
quote:
And Without capcom making sequels for those game it was (Is?) one of the rare chances to play with those kind of characters.

No.
The original games haven't magically disappeared from my shelves because of this announcement.
And, in the case of Vampire, I don't really see them making anything of the level of the original game, let alone better.

ねんがんの ネ申ゲーをてにいれたぞ!

Pollyanna
1161th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member+

"Re(10):Funamizu back to the arcades (DBZ)" , posted Thu 9 Jun 18:55post reply

Capcom doesn't need to be "Vs" anyone. They have too many characters in themselves. Even a game like NamcoXCapcom barely scratches the surface. "Sammy vs Capcom" was just an excuse to either have another GG game or put some Capcom characters to good use. I'm happy in both cases, but that doesn't make it a good idea.

I hated Capcom for about 2 years, but the combination of playing Vampire/Monster Hunter/3rd Strike again and the realization that they have such an amazing history of memorable games (and characters) has turned me into a supporter again.

Fuchikoma
1341th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(2):Re(10):Funamizu back to the arcades (DB" , posted Fri 10 Jun 05:21post reply

A lot of Capcom's new franchises have really had me supporting them again lately. Shadow of Rome was a terrific game and was a huge departure from what Capcom had done before. Demento/Haunting Ground while not being as spooky as Silent Hill/RE/Siren was still a very enjoyable game. The character models are some of the best I've seen on PS2 and the game is a good length... only 9 1/2 hours... great to play over the weekend... but with enough bonus stuff to make you play through the game multiple times. While I haven't played Monster Hunter since I'm not an online game guy... I've heard nothing but good things. Killer 7 is getting good buzz and like Shadow of Rome... it's a complete departure from the Capcom norm. Then there's Ookami... good god there's Ookami.

While I love Capcom's catalog of characters just as much as the next rabid fanboy... I'm glad that Capcom is trying to be fresh and for the most part (disregarding Under the Skin) they've been doing a pretty good job at it.

Sano
1818th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):Funamizu back to the arcades (DB" , posted Fri 10 Jun 05:39post reply

IGN reports that Funamizu will be working on an unnamed PSP title which would come out presumably before Chou DBZ.

Ryu and Chun-Li forever!

Spoon
1055th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Re(3):Re(10):Funamizu back to the arcades (DB" , posted Fri 10 Jun 08:12post reply

quote:
and for the most part (disregarding Under the Skin) they've been doing a pretty good job at it.

WHAT

i fail to see how anybody wouldn't be entertained at least a little by this game. No, it's not super deep nor is it something you're going to play for 40 hrs., but it's fun for a while, especially with some pals.

PANIC TIIIIIIIIIIIIME

f'n top tier vacuum cleaner....

Sano
1819th Post

"Re(4):Re(10):Funamizu back to the arcades (DB" , posted Fri 10 Jun 09:16post reply

I enjoyed Under the Skin too, kind of short but come on, you could have Jill and Carlos fart at people...

Ryu and Chun-Li forever!