Makai Kingdom advice - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (4115 Views )

Mosquiton
1633th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Makai Kingdom advice" , posted Fri 3 Jun 09:05post reply

I know there are people here (or at least Polly) who have played it, so I'm going to ask for a bit of advice with the game since I've found myself with an advance copy.

What I'm looking for is general advice on how to enjoy the game/see what it has to offer. For instance, early on in the game, what kind and how many characters should I create? Any hot confining tips?

Currently I'm slugging through chapter 2, having only bothered to create four units. Average level is about 6 or so.

I get the feeling that building stat-spiked/specialized units that can kill with one hit is the way to go. Sound about right? Any other misc. tips for having fun with the game strategy-wise?

Thanks to anyone who answers.

/ / /

Replies:

Pollyanna
1139th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member+

"Re(1):Makai Kingdom advice" , posted Fri 3 Jun 09:34post reply

Oh, good gosh...it's been a while since I've played it, so I've forgotten a lot. Maybe what I'm saying won't even make any sense, but I'll try.

Erm...in the beginning, I just did what I could, but in retrospect, I would recommend making units that can be reincarnated. I'm not sure that you can do that with the units that you create in the very beginning, so they may end up being rather useless. Anyway, this is obvious, but any unit that can't be reincarnated is useless in the end. Of course...you can always turn them into houses THEN reincarnate them.

I shot for unlocking the different classes as soon as that became a viable option. You're going to want an archer and a samurai for sure. Well...a samurai at least. I totally went for crazy offense and reincarnated accordingly. If I wanted characters to have better DEF, I would put them in a house that provided for that...though I would usually just put them in an ATK boosting building for 1-hit kills.

But I mean, don't get stressed about shooting for anything. The game is very open and the only thing that you should worry about is EVENTUAL reincarnation. I mean, don't get stuck on what you're "supposed" to do.

Ammadeau
1371th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(2):Makai Kingdom advice" , posted Fri 3 Jun 11:41post reply

You should be using 8 characters to start with since that's the field limit. Clear the extra stages as soon as you're leveled enough for them to get those items that will let you make reincartable characters. Put a thief in the forefront and steal as much as possible. Don't break the seals until you've cleared away the other enemies. Make sure enemies can't get to your buildings as latter in the game they'll invade or out and out destroy them. Can't think of much else really.

Ammadeau.net - My own personal waste of time.

Pollyanna
1141th Post

"Re(3):Makai Kingdom advice" , posted Fri 3 Jun 11:46post reply

I guess thieves are handy. When I started the game, they were OK, but by the end, they didn't do anything but frustrate me. When they start feeling like they're more trouble than they're worth...they probably are.

DarkZero
1246th Post

"Re(4):Makai Kingdom advice" , posted Fri 3 Jun 11:52post reply

Just a brief question, since the advice here brought it to mind:

Is this game like Disgaea, where you can pretty much make a new character in an hour or so by reincarnating them and then levelling them up, or like Phantom Brave, where any new character starts totally from scratch and can't be levelled up that easily? I tried to make a bunch of new characters three quarters of the way through Phantom Brave and couldn't seem to find any way to make them useful. I also created a few more at the halfway point who eventually became useful, but were still nowhere near as useful as the characters I had in the first two hours of the game.

Does it give you some real freedom to start over and branch out, or does it lock you into your early decisions like Phantom Brave?

Pollyanna
1142th Post

"Re(5):Makai Kingdom advice" , posted Fri 3 Jun 14:21post reply

It's pretty easy to make new characters and level them up quickly. It's still better to reincarnate, but that's easy to do and you can do it across classes without negative results, so there's really a lot of freedom.

Radish
2892th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(6):Makai Kingdom advice" , posted Fri 3 Jun 20:22post reply

quote:
It's pretty easy to make new characters and level them up quickly. It's still better to reincarnate, but that's easy to do and you can do it across classes without negative results, so there's really a lot of freedom.

Does this game rely on powerleveling again? If it does I think I'm going to have to pass. With Disgaea I could overlook the boring "sit in a level and mindlessly pound on a gimmicky 200%+ xp enemy for hours" factor since the plot and characters were fun, but since Phantom Brave was so terrible in that regard I couldn't keep with it at all and just gave up halfway through.

Ammadeau
1372th Post

"Re(7):Makai Kingdom advice" , posted Fri 3 Jun 20:29post reply

Are you kidding? You could powerlevel characters in PB at blinding speed. Just make an uber weapon and set them loose in an uber dungeon... but with an uber weapon there wasn't much point in leveling them.

Leveling in Makai is identical to Disgaea as far as I can tell, btw.

Ammadeau.net - My own personal waste of time.

Pollyanna
1143th Post

"Re(7):Makai Kingdom advice" , posted Sat 4 Jun 01:55post reply

quote:

Does this game rely on powerleveling again? If it does I think I'm going to have to pass. With Disgaea I could overlook the boring "sit in a level and mindlessly pound on a gimmicky 200%+ xp enemy for hours" factor since the plot and characters were fun, but since Phantom Brave was so terrible in that regard I couldn't keep with it at all and just gave up halfway through.

The plot/characters in Phantom Kingdom are light years ahead of the ones in Phantom Brave. They still manage to sneak love into it, but on the whole, the cinemas are pretty enjoyable.

I never felt like I was "powerleveling" so much as I was just "tweaking my team for fun". I enjoyed the system in PK much more than the PB or Disgaea system, so I never felt irritated until I tried to do extra stuff. If you're the type of person that HAS to do everything, then you may run into a "powerleveling slowdown", but I think that even the extra stuff is very well paced in PK.

Iggy
6628th Post

"Re(8):Makai Kingdom advice" , posted Sat 4 Jun 02:24post reply

Polly, I like your avatar.

ねんがんの ネ申ゲーをてにいれたぞ!

Mosquiton
1634th Post

"Re(3):Makai Kingdom advice" , posted Sat 4 Jun 02:50post reply

Thanks yous guys.

/ / /

Radish
2894th Post

"Re(8):Makai Kingdom advice" , posted Sat 4 Jun 04:47post reply

quote:

The plot/characters in Phantom Kingdom are light years ahead of the ones in Phantom Brave. They still manage to sneak love into it, but on the whole, the cinemas are pretty enjoyable.

I never felt like I was "powerleveling" so much as I was just "tweaking my team for fun". I enjoyed the system in PK much more than the PB or Disgaea system, so I never felt irritated until I tried to do extra stuff. If you're the type of person that HAS to do everything, then you may run into a "powerleveling slowdown", but I think that even the extra stuff is very well paced in PK.

Cool deal; sounds like a winner.

Pollyanna
1144th Post

"Re(9):Makai Kingdom advice" , posted Sat 4 Jun 06:15post reply

quote:

Yaaaay. You've never seen Turn A Gundam, have you? I dunno if you'd like it or not...but that reminds me...do you have any interest in Hanjuku Hero? It seems like you'd like it.

Iggy
6630th Post

"Re(10):Makai Kingdom advice" , posted Sat 4 Jun 16:03post reply

quote:
do you have any interest in Hanjuku Hero? It seems like you'd like it.

I've always wanted to try, but each time they released a new game, I had plenty of work to do, so I think the Universe doesn't want me to play it.

ねんがんの ネ申ゲーをてにいれたぞ!

Mosquiton
1636th Post

"Makai comments" , posted Sun 5 Jun 02:42:post reply

I'm generally digging the game at this point.

The big reason is that I have a female infantry with a vulcan cannon named Vasquez.

But I have to say I'm enjoying the game more than Disgaea. Maybe it's because I found an easy way to cheese just a couple of levels/bonus items to take on the next Happy Dungeon...

I really like the Medic class too, with the equips I have he's actually a balanced, useful and interesting character without even transmigrating.

But out of curiosity what item/s do I need to make a transmigrate wish?

(I know about the building option)

/ / /

[this message was edited by Mosquiton on Sun 5 Jun 03:56]

Spoon
1034th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Re(10):Makai Kingdom advice" , posted Sun 5 Jun 03:38post reply

quote:

Yaaaay. You've never seen Turn A Gundam, have you?

TURN A TURN

i love saying that

Pollyanna
1146th Post

"Re(1):Makai comments" , posted Sun 5 Jun 05:40post reply

To Reincarnate...you just need an item with a star next to it. Or two stars...or more. You can start out without doing it, but it becomes...well, not a necessity, but more like a "necessary convenience" later. That is to say, someone could win the game without doing it, but...that person would suffer for it and wouldn't be very smart.

Iggy: I -really- loved Hanjuku Hero 3 for about 2/3 of the game. It got to a point where it was hard...but just irritating hard, not fun hard and I had to quit to keep from breaking my PS2. It has my favorite main character ever (I named him "Jordy") a (sometimes) fun system and almost more laughs than I can deal with. I have high hopes for 4 (after watching the opening), but I was really upset by the dismal sales. I think it sold...like...twice as many copies as Minstrel Song is STILL selling? I'm excited about Minstrel Song's success, but this is ridiculous. And Berwick Saga can go to hell.

I haven't gotten into HH4 yet, because I like NXC so much. I like it more every fight. It hasn't gotten hard, but...it requires a fair bit of strategy now, and I keep getting new characters and moves, so I'm happy. Well, that...and I skip about half of the dialogues when they start getting boring and Leon showed up.

Zepy
1064th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Re(2):Makai comments" , posted Sun 5 Jun 17:26:post reply

It's cheaper mana-wise to reincarnate by making cheap houses at low levels though, and there's no level requirement to reincarnate by making cheap houses as compared to star reincarnate.

You can collect a lot of stat points by rapidly reincarnating a lvl 1 guy by making houses and confining him to all the star items.

[this message was edited by Zepy on Sun 5 Jun 17:27]

Mosquiton
1637th Post

"Re(3):Makai comments" , posted Sun 5 Jun 23:00post reply

quote:

You can collect a lot of stat points by rapidly reincarnating a lvl 1 guy by making houses and confining him to all the star items.

/ / /