Kojima disses the Playstation 3 - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (3471 Views )

crazymike
1124th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Red Carpet Premium Member+

"Kojima disses the Playstation 3" , posted Wed 1 Jun 12:43post reply

http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/8402/Hideo-Kojima-Expresses-Doubts-About-PS3-Development/

I was under this impression as well, that at E3, Sony stole the show yet the only *real* glamorous looking game was Killzone while everything else was good, but not great.

However what I thinks is more interesting is whether Nintendo can maybe make a comeback with a cheap system while Microsoft and Sony price themselves out of business with insanely expensive hardware that is not only expensive on the consumer side, but too difficult and costly to program on for developers.

Replies:

Tai-Pan
12th Post

New Customer

"Re(1):Kojima disses the Playstation 3" , posted Wed 1 Jun 12:56post reply

quote:
http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/8402/Hideo-Kojima-Expresses-Doubts-About-PS3-Development/

I was under this impression as well, that at E3, Sony stole the show yet the only *real* glamorous looking game was Killzone while everything else was good, but not great.

However what I thinks is more interesting is whether Nintendo can maybe make a comeback with a cheap system while Microsoft and Sony price themselves out of business with insanely expensive hardware that is not only expensive on the consumer side, but too difficult and costly to program on for developers.

I think that Nintendo really wants to change the course of the industry. If things continue this way, Videogames will transform into something like space rockets development, and only some companies (with a lot of money) will be able to offer us games, and in the end, everything will get mediocre, no diversity, and the whole industry will die and fall, and old gamers like us will spend hours in forums talking about how games used to be great, speaking about rare japanese games, or just criticizing 99% of the games released or companies like imoya,,,fuck..that is already happening , right? RIGHT?!?!

hayaku!!

Sano
1801th Post

Silver Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Sano disses Kojima" , posted Wed 1 Jun 13:29:post reply

Gosh darn it, who cares? Kojima and Miyamoto are the two most interviewed video game people in the universe. Don't they have anything better to do other than offer a bazillion interviews a year? Every other US magazine has an interview with one or the other. The promise of Kojima's MGS4 on the PS3 has already put the system on people's wishlists making his statement null and void.

Ryu and Chun-Li forever!

[this message was edited by Sano on Wed 1 Jun 13:52]

Altimus
130th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(1):Sano disses Kojima" , posted Wed 1 Jun 13:58post reply

Sano is right. I mean geez.. Why would anyone care about what Kojima has to say? I mean, he makes Metal Gear Solid games, he isn't a market analyst.

KTallguy
634th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Kojima didn't diss anything...." , posted Wed 1 Jun 14:35post reply

I read this interview before... the un-cut version... 'Here!'

"If the game creators and the users want to have a great steak for their anniversary, they go maybe to PS3. But if they want great dinner, great steak with their family, a little bit more casual during the weekends, they might select Xbox 360. Or why not have a great steak at your house everyday, they might choose Revolution. So my impression of the battle between the consoles is, it’s not about what kind of dinner it is. It’s more about how much the dinner will be. Will it be
worth the cost of being served? Or where can I have this dinner - number of restaurants, is it near my house or do I have to take a cab or train or bus? I think the battle amongst the next-gen platforms lies in that area."

The way I read it, bascially the PS3 has a very high standard. The X-box 360 might be easier to develop for (not necessarily less costly) but the PS3's standard is higher than the X-Box. The Revolution is really the best choice for people just starting out.

Kojima just says that the real battle is cost, accessability, etc. Is the cost going to be worth it?

What about the GAMEPLAY?!

Proud Supporter of Next Generation GAMEPLAY
"テメエがヤクブソクなんだよ!"

EddyT
492th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(1):Kojima didn't diss anything...." , posted Wed 1 Jun 14:51:post reply

Although Nintendo might be the most accessible when it comes to programming, the big N still needs to work on their relations to other 3rd parties. MS has started to gain a massive foothold, having several upstart companies work on console-exclusive titles, while Nintendo has been losing more and more ground over the years... ever since the SNES days. If Nintendo is going to be perceived as the best system for developers, they should really make a more aggressive push towards satisfying them. Perhaps with lower licensing costs and such.

I have heard about the scenario with game systems and game budgets skyrocketing past motion picture budgets, and it won't affect the big fish as much as the little guys who want to start off. Usually, those smaller companies will get bought out by the bigger conglomerates... so I don't think smaller companies will have to worry much about making a living if they generate notice. However, MS and the big N would be wise to not only welcome small developers, but do as much as possible to pick them up before someone else does. It would be embarrassing to have a small company that made great games for your system get bought out by the competition.

[this message was edited by EddyT on Wed 1 Jun 14:51]

legalstep
107th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(1):Kojima disses the Playstation 3" , posted Tue 7 Jun 05:27post reply

On the internet it would appear as though Kojima was arguing with himself.

OmegaDog
1533th Post

Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(1):Kojima didn't diss anything...." , posted Tue 7 Jun 05:44post reply

quote:
Kojima just says that the real battle is cost, accessability, etc. Is the cost going to be worth it?

Well, you know that artists of any kind of medium have to take economics into account. Say you're a sculptor who'll be carving a statue that you have to fund yourself -- if you're limited in funds, do you go with the finest stone available, or do you go with a type of stone that looks slightly less shiny, yet is half the cost?

I mean, sure, when making a game, I agree that gameplay has to be forefront in presentation -- but on the side, there's also the costs and potential revenue to worry about.

SO... IT'S FLITZ TIME EVERYBODY! | CCT: NEXT STAGE IS 21

Baines
92th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(2):Kojima didn't diss anything...." , posted Tue 7 Jun 08:36post reply

quote:
If Nintendo is going to be perceived as the best system for developers, they should really make a more aggressive push towards satisfying them.

That was supposed to be the Gamecube, a system supposedly designed with game development in mind. A system that Nintendo co-developed an arcade board for, which would encourage home ports to their system. A system that saw Nintendo funding various development projects from other companies. A system that, not to Nintendo's desire, saw greatly reduced license fees in order to keep EA's support. A system that at least at the start saw supposedly singleminded support by Nintendo friendly companies such as Rare and Silicon Knights. A system that saw Nintendo farming its own properties to other developers just to get some more support and more games out. A system that saw Nintendo holding the carrot of GBA licensing in order to get GC games created.

Revolution is the system that supposedly might scare "limited-minded" developers away.

Nintendo tried at least their version of aggressively pursuing developers, and it didn't really materialize other than what they paid for directly (which was almost paying for PS2 development at times it seemed.) There hasn't been any news yet that Nintendo would try such an approach again.

kilvear
84th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(1):Kojima didn't diss anything...." , posted Tue 7 Jun 13:25post reply

quote:
I read this interview before... the un-cut version... 'Here!'

"If the game creators and the users want to have a great steak for their anniversary, they go maybe to PS3. But if they want great dinner, great steak with their family, a little bit more casual during the weekends, they might select Xbox 360. Or why not have a great steak at your house everyday, they might choose Revolution. So my impression of the battle between the consoles is, it’s not about what kind of dinner it is. It’s more about how much the dinner will be. Will it be
worth the cost of being served? Or where can I have this dinner - number of restaurants, is it near my house or do I have to take a cab or train or bus? I think the battle amongst the next-gen platforms lies in that area."

The way I read it, bascially the PS3 has a very high standard. The X-box 360 might be easier to develop for (not necessarily less costly) but the PS3's standard is higher than the X-Box. The Revolution is really the best choice for people just starting out.

No. It is about dinner.

Somebody cure me of RO fanboy sickness.