Sonic Rush doesn't look as bad as Shadow... - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (3925 Views )

Rid
6651th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Sonic Rush doesn't look as bad as Shadow..." , posted Tue 31 May 00:31post reply

...but Blaze's design isn't too appealing.

http://www.sega.com/games/game_temp.php?game=sonicrush&id=hp_news

Sure, the two screens don't add much in the gameplay way, but somehow fit the Sonic flashiness. I just hope it doesn't sucks like Sonic Advance 3 did...

Thanks WS for the link.

Replies:

Ammadeau
1369th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(1):Sonic Rush doesn't look as bad as Shado" , posted Tue 31 May 01:22post reply

Sonic Rush makes me wish I had a DS.

It's finally a handheld Sonic actually made by Sonic Team and it shows. The use of the two screens is amazing, and it's pretty tough. I kept getting stuck on this one bit on the first level and the person I was with thought it was funny until he got stuck in the same place. :p

Shadow though... I don't want to talk about it.

Ammadeau.net - My own personal waste of time.

VManOfMana
605th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(2):Sonic Rush doesn't look as bad as Shado" , posted Tue 31 May 01:52post reply

The gameplay movies in the site look nice. Game seems to be a worthy sequel of the original Sonic games.

If I ever get a DS this is on my buy list.

Polygons are used to smooth animation but are not whored out to the point gameplay is damaged. Nice.

Jabel D. Morales - VMan of Mana.
http://vman.animecafe.net/

"Tameraeba makeyo!"

OmegaDog
1529th Post

Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(1):Sonic Rush doesn't look as bad as Shado" , posted Tue 31 May 02:31post reply

Does look quite nice. Even if the levels themselves barely have any gameplay (press forward to play through most of the level layout) -- the flash factor of the levels themselves still give a bit of exhiliration. [It's the boss battles where the gameplay feels a bit more creative, or that it requires quick action. At least there, you have some major direct control over the fight.]

Odd thing is, that vertical screen orientation really works here. The big wheel on the incline -- if you had a widescreen orientation and had it coming from the side, sure, that's something -- but when it's coming almost from above you, threatening to almost fall on you -- that's definitely much more effective in inspiring a player to desparately rush, even if the player doesn't have much more control to do that, other than to press forward. An illusion of desperation, awesomely used.

One small thing, though: they really do need to either make the "Yeah!" voice sample less frequent, or mix up the variety of voice samples.

[Yeah, I know, a lot of small details -- but, in stuff like this, a lot of small details count, no? And I know discussing these small details on an obscure board doesn't do much -- still though, it's fun taking a bit of time to talk about 'em.]

SO... IT'S FLITZ TIME EVERYBODY! | CCT: NEXT STAGE IS 21

ShadowSonic
125th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(1):Sonic Rush doesn't look as bad as Shado" , posted Tue 31 May 03:17post reply

quote:
I just hope it doesn't sucks like Sonic Advance 3 did...

...Sonic Advance 3 sucked?

Where darkness turns to light and order turns to chaos. 2003.

aderack
119th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(2):Sonic Rush doesn't look as bad as Shado" , posted Tue 31 May 03:48post reply

Although this wasn't bad at all, Shadow the Hedgehog at least was less painful than anything since Adventure 1. Aside from the "skating", which really, truly, needs to get removed, I kind of enjoyed it in a stupid way.

It's certainly better than you'd expect, anyway. Not that it's something I need to play lots.

EricJonRösselWaugh
YOU CANNOT STOP ME WITH JUST A PARAMECIUM!

Spoon
1022th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Re(1):Sonic Rush doesn't look as bad as Shado" , posted Tue 31 May 04:17post reply

Whoa, it actually looks like a real sequel to the Genesis Sonic games.

That's pretty cool.

HAYATO
390th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(2):Sonic Rush doesn't look as bad as Shado" , posted Tue 31 May 05:34post reply

quote:
I just hope it doesn't sucks like Sonic Advance 3 did...

...Sonic Advance 3 sucked?

Not as hard as Shadow does. The first time I saw a vid, I had to go to the bathroom to empty my bowels...

Ammadeau
1370th Post

"Re(3):Sonic Rush doesn't look as bad as Shado" , posted Tue 31 May 11:08post reply

I agree Shadow isn't as bad as Heroes or Adventure 2, but that doesn't make it good or worth playing either. It feels like a game that was slapped together without a coherent whole.

And Sonic Rush has as much gameplay, if not more, than the classic Genesis Sonics. It is really their successor in every sense. If they had put it on a console, you could ignore the Adventures and Heroes ever happened.

Ammadeau.net - My own personal waste of time.

Black_Hayato
130th Post

Regular Customer

"Looks ok." , posted Tue 31 May 14:19:post reply

Maybe its still in the rough stages but it doesn't look very impressive to me other than the 2 screen scenario.

Compared to Emerald Hill, Angel Island, or Mushroom Hill it doesn't look to good. The 16bit games had layers apon layers of paralax. Giving the levels a certain depth. Alleviating noticable overuse of the same handful of textures. Probably my fav 2d effect; its what made Shinobi 3 so much more impressive visually than 2.

It just looks like he's running in front of wallpaper. Like in some KOFs I see a great background but wonder how much better it could be with more scrolling and some paralax like twisting path in morrigan's stage from VH, or the 3d stone walkway in Hsienko's.

[this message was edited by Black_Hayato on Tue 31 May 14:23]

HAYATO
391th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(1):Looks great !!" , posted Tue 31 May 16:51post reply

quote:
Maybe its still in the rough stages but it doesn't look very impressive to me other than the 2 screen scenario.

Compared to Emerald Hill, Angel Island, or Mushroom Hill it doesn't look to good. The 16bit games had layers apon layers of paralax. Giving the levels a certain depth. Alleviating noticable overuse of the same handful of textures. Probably my fav 2d effect; its what made Shinobi 3 so much more impressive visually than 2.

It just looks like he's running in front of wallpaper. Like in some KOFs I see a great background but wonder how much better it could be with more scrolling and some paralax like twisting path in morrigan's stage from VH, or the 3d stone walkway in Hsienko's.

I agree with you, but even in the case they left the game as is, this seems to be the best Sonic game since "Sonic 3+Knuckles".I never thought Sonic Team would make a 2D game again...

Sensenic
1300th Post

"Re(2):Looks great !!" , posted Tue 31 May 19:54post reply

It certainly does look nice. Wonder how're they gonna use the touch screen.
quote:
It's finally a handheld Sonic actually made by Sonic Team and it shows.

I never thought Sonic Team would make a 2D game again...

So, weren't the Advance games made by them? I thought so, after all the logo "Created by Sonic Team" does appear.

I feel fooled now.
quote:
Whoa, it actually looks like a real sequel to the Genesis Sonic games.

That's pretty cool

And Sonic Rush has as much gameplay, if not more, than the classic Genesis Sonics. It is really their successor in every sense.

Well, I still think Sonic Advance, the first one, was a really good comeback to the old gameplay. A hommage to the Mega Drive series.

Then, Advance 2 came and screwed it, but, oh, well...

Za Peepaa Yomiko chan!

My philosophy professor was a flan Myself

Rid
6653th Post

"Re(3):Looks great !!" , posted Wed 1 Jun 01:29post reply

quote:
Then, Advance 2 came and screwed it, but, oh, well...
Agreed...

Maou
659th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Eggman times two" , posted Wed 1 Jun 02:12:post reply

Interesting!
I haven't gotten to play a Sonic game since the Mega Drive days, I hope they do this one up good. After being blown away by the elaborate designs and opening animation in Sonic CD in middle school, I always had dreams of designing a truly epic Sonic game with technology beyond what existed at the time, make my dream come true, Sonic Team!

In related news, I was relieve to find that there is indeed Eggman cosplay, but sadly not nearly enough.

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

[this message was edited by Maou on Wed 1 Jun 02:34]

Iron D
2669th Post

"Re(4):Looks great !!" , posted Wed 1 Jun 09:39post reply

quote:
Then, Advance 2 came and screwed it, but, oh, well... Agreed...

Good god. Does NO ONE else besides me like the Advance games? Serioulsy, I thought that the Advance games got better with each game. The feel got tighter, more little touches were made to the gameplay, the bosses got more creative, and the last boss got better, too. Oh, and did I mention that the music, which has always been something that the Sonic series was high on, got better as well?

I have no idea how Advance 1 is better than Advance 2 or 3. In any way. In fact, I consider Advance 3 to be close to Sonic 3 & Knuckles in pure goodness.

As for the Adventures and Heroes, I loved the two Adventures games (1 slightly more than 2) but Heroes...now there was a truly awful game...

Zelkin. Pimped.

Abster
58th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(5):Looks great !!" , posted Wed 1 Jun 09:57post reply

The first Sonic Advance was the best. It paid true homage to the Genesis games. It went downhill from there. The later 2 concentrated on pure challenge and racing. You had to hold the same direction for several seconds to get ANY speed in both of those, and by that time you either got squished or hit by an enemy that's nearly impossible to kill. The muffled sound effects don't help either. Graphics were great and the music was tolerable, but putting most emphasis on challenge ruined the later games, even though 3 was better than 2.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v311/Abster316/dedication3.gif [Image Attached]

There's no substitution to dedication

Iron D
2670th Post

"Re(6):Looks great !!" , posted Wed 1 Jun 10:21post reply

quote:
The first Sonic Advance was the best. It paid true homage to the Genesis games. It went downhill from there. The later 2 concentrated on pure challenge and racing. You had to hold the same direction for several seconds to get ANY speed in both of those, and by that time you either got squished or hit by an enemy that's nearly impossible to kill. The muffled sound effects don't help either. Graphics were great and the music was tolerable, but putting most emphasis on challenge ruined the later games, even though 3 was better than 2.

So you're saying that 2 and 3 were worse because they were harder and you had the accelaration was slower?

I never found any of the three Advance games to be all that difficult. And the acceleration thing never bothered me. In fact, I barely even noticed it.

Zelkin. Pimped.

Abster
59th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(7):Looks great !!" , posted Wed 1 Jun 10:41post reply

quote:

So you're saying that 2 and 3 were worse because they were harder and you had the accelaration was slower?

I never found any of the three Advance games to be all that difficult. And the acceleration thing never bothered me. In fact, I barely even noticed it.

For Sonic games, both Advance 2 and 3 were extremely hard, and were packed full with cheap shots. Take the twinkle snow boss for instance. You had to jump from a buncha different falling platforms while Robotnik wasted your ass every time with that mace ball.

Sonic Rush don't impress me that much either. Sadly, this is what's happening to all 2d franchises now. -_-

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v311/Abster316/dedication3.gif [Image Attached]

Black_Hayato
130th Post

Regular Customer

"differences that i see" , posted Wed 1 Jun 14:37post reply

Imo, Advance 2 & 3 were designed to be continous with emphasis on chaining successful loops and the like. A race, with little or in some stages no platforming. I see that as a design flaw because in many instances its almost impossible to backtrack. In other words exploring. Something I like to do. In advance 2 & 3 exploring basically means taking one path through a stage and trying it slightly different next time. And thats the only way to find all the special rings and chaos. It becomes very tedious w/o an faq. Still fun games; I play them every now and then for time trials. But I've given up on getting Super Sonic for both games, as I didn't have the patience and mapping skills.

Classic Sonics had an emphasis on speed but the levels were designed to be "traversed". Its still a platformer. Remember hidden walls, power-ups, stage specific events (3&Knux), gimmicks, controls, vehicles, boss fights and lots of variety. All this also told a story/plot without any words.

HAYATO
397th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(1):differences that i see" , posted Wed 1 Jun 17:20post reply

quote:
Imo, Advance 2 & 3 were designed to be continous with emphasis on chaining successful loops and the like. A race, with little or in some stages no platforming. I see that as a design flaw because in many instances its almost impossible to backtrack. In other words exploring.

Yeah, you are right. I hate this feeling of being carried forward by an insane scroll and no way to stop. Taht effect is good when it comes with certain areas or paths (double loops, some slopes...), but not when it's omnipresent in the game...beside that, the game were fun...

Iron D
2672th Post

"Re(1):differences that i see" , posted Thu 2 Jun 10:55post reply

quote:
Imo, Advance 2 & 3 were designed to be continous with emphasis on chaining successful loops and the like. A race, with little or in some stages no platforming. I see that as a design flaw because in many instances its almost impossible to backtrack. In other words exploring. Something I like to do. In advance 2 & 3 exploring basically means taking one path through a stage and trying it slightly different next time. And thats the only way to find all the special rings and chaos. It becomes very tedious w/o an faq.

Wait, so you're saying that Advance 1 was better in this area? That's one of the "small" things that I think got better with each passing game. In Advance 1, there were a lot more instances where you would get to a certain point, and then a wall would close behind you or something. Advance 2 and 3 definitely improved on this.

Zelkin. Pimped.

Abster
61th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(2):differences that i see" , posted Thu 2 Jun 13:01post reply

quote:
Imo, Advance 2 & 3 were designed to be continous with emphasis on chaining successful loops and the like. A race, with little or in some stages no platforming. I see that as a design flaw because in many instances its almost impossible to backtrack. In other words exploring. Something I like to do. In advance 2 & 3 exploring basically means taking one path through a stage and trying it slightly different next time. And thats the only way to find all the special rings and chaos. It becomes very tedious w/o an faq.

Wait, so you're saying that Advance 1 was better in this area? That's one of the "small" things that I think got better with each passing game. In Advance 1, there were a lot more instances where you would get to a certain point, and then a wall would close behind you or something. Advance 2 and 3 definitely improved on this.

Well, earlier Sonic games easily allowed you to backtrack to a point. The Sonic games now just put you through a straightforward route with the occasional stop and deal with enemies thingamajig. 3d graphics on 2d landscapes look ugly anyways.

JJWE
478th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(3):differences that i see" , posted Thu 2 Jun 14:22post reply

quote:
3d graphics on 2d landscapes look ugly anyways.

When you're out of arguments and all else fails, attack something completely unrelated!

--- http://ngmc.retrogames.com

Abster
62th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(4):differences that i see" , posted Thu 2 Jun 14:50post reply

quote:
3d graphics on 2d landscapes look ugly anyways.

When you're out of arguments and all else fails, attack something completely unrelated!

Uh, that was directed towards Sonic Rush NG.

JJWE
480th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(5):differences that i see" , posted Thu 2 Jun 18:18:post reply

quote:
Uh, that was directed towards Sonic Rush NG.

And don't you agree that Sonic Rush is quite unrelated (apart from it being a Sonic game, naturally) to the topic at hand, which was Sonic Advance 1-3? Just saying that I found the comment completely out of left field.

--- http://ngmc.retrogames.com

[this message was edited by JJWE on Thu 2 Jun 18:20]

ZamIAm
1534th Post

Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"um..." , posted Fri 10 Jun 12:10post reply

As someone who doesn't own the game, what exactly was wrong with Sonic Heroes?

They're outsourcing Elmo and putting Cookie Monster on a diet...WHAT IS THE WORLD COMING TO?!?

GekigangerV
1113th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member+

"Re(1):um..." , posted Fri 10 Jun 13:10post reply

quote:
As someone who doesn't own the game, what exactly was wrong with Sonic Heroes?

Although I don't really hate SH, I had a problem with the repeat levels and bosses. Sure the objectives of the levels were switched around, but it was a bit boring to look at the same things over and over.

exodus
2733th Post

"hah..." , posted Sat 11 Jun 01:20post reply

I love how the new criteria for stuff to get is 'well, it doesn't look as bad as X'.

I do it too - a lot of the time I'll buy something because it doesn't look as bad as I thought it would. So we're dealing with gradations of bad, not good. heh...what a world we live in.

Spoon
1069th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Re(1):hah..." , posted Sat 11 Jun 01:33post reply

quote:
I love how the new criteria for stuff to get is 'well, it doesn't look as bad as X'.

I do it too - a lot of the time I'll buy something because it doesn't look as bad as I thought it would. So we're dealing with gradations of bad, not good. heh...what a world we live in.

All my hope rests on Hokuto no Ken.