Strike that will cripple the gaming industry - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (2281 Views )

Radish
2870th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Strike that will cripple the gaming industry" , posted Fri 27 May 04:03post reply

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/wireStory?id=788433&CMP=OTC-RSSFeeds0312

Sweat shop voice actors

Replies:

Nate
557th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(1):Strike that will cripple the gaming ind" , posted Fri 27 May 04:09post reply

quote:
http://abcnews.go.com/Business/wireStory?id=788433&CMP=OTC-RSSFeeds0312

Sweat shop voice actors

Weren't they threatening this for a while? I mean, it definitely sucks but I remember hearing about it a few months back. Or something similar anyway.

ワンダフル! ビューティフル! エキサイティング!

Gojira
1731th Post

Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(1):Strike that will cripple the gaming ind" , posted Fri 27 May 04:55post reply

I don't want to judge without knowing what they know, but I have to wonder with these primarily stage/screen and radio acting guilds doing this how much they really know about the GAME industry, other than self-serving crap like "we give them LIFE!!!"

exodus
2694th Post

"Re(2):Strike that will cripple the gaming ind" , posted Fri 27 May 05:19post reply

yeah, the problem here is that regular voice actors aren't in the screen actor's guild, and if game publishers were forced to use unionized SAG actors, the smaller guys would get pushed out of business.

and the fact of the matter is, hardly anyone cares about the voices in games, they're just there. These people think way too much of themselves, in terms of how they contribute to a game.

Spoon
1010th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Re(3):Strike that will cripple the gaming ind" , posted Fri 27 May 06:58post reply

quote:
yeah, the problem here is that regular voice actors aren't in the screen actor's guild, and if game publishers were forced to use unionized SAG actors, the smaller guys would get pushed out of business.

and the fact of the matter is, hardly anyone cares about the voices in games, they're just there. These people think way too much of themselves, in terms of how they contribute to a game.

Unless it's like Samuel L. Jackson in the GTA games, where he actually IS in the SAG... i think.

But then, you could probably pull any other random guy off the street and make him say, "MOTHA FU**A!" too.

Undead Fred
2388th Post

"Re(3):Strike that will cripple the gaming ind" , posted Fri 27 May 07:13post reply

quote:

Exactly. And it's not like there are a really high percentage of games that use celebrity voice actors... and even then, people aren't really getting the games because they know a celebrity's going to be doing a VOICE in it. They play because they like the game or series or whatever (such as Grand Theft Auto... did anyone really buy Vice City because they knew Burt Reynolds and Ray Liotta were doing voices in it?). It's not like there aren't enough factors screwing up the game industry now without the Film Actors Guild interfering.

"You sure made the game industry better... didn't ya, Film Actors Guild?"

Gojira
1733th Post

Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(4):Strike that will cripple the gaming ind" , posted Fri 27 May 12:27post reply

quote:

did anyone really buy Vice City because they knew Burt Reynolds and Ray Liotta were doing voices in it?

It's weird, but after Vice City came out, Ray Liotta appeared on the Tonight Show and talked about his role in the game. That's not something I'm used to seeing, but it might have gotten some people to buy it for just that reason.

Not that I'm changing my mind, but voice acting can be a draw if companies want it to be. Voice acting made a sort of celebrity out of David Hayter. And even though a number of people don't know his name, almost everyone recognizes Cam Clarke's voice wherever it pops up (whether they like it or not). Voice acting can be a reputable practice.

Doesn't change that the SAG and AFTRA are being way too arrogant with their actions, though.

Sano
1790th Post

Silver Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

""Jill, the Master of Unlocking!" WTF? Seeya!" , posted Fri 27 May 12:28post reply

This is all part of my dream...

NAMCO: SCEA, since all of the American voice actors are on strike and there aren't any scab voice actors available since they fear for their life, can we bring out Namco x Capcom to the US subtitled? It's our only option.

SCEA: Hmmm. You know we are anti-2D but seeeing how this game has made a skillion dollars in Japan and has even outsold every single Dragon Quest game ever made we are going to allow it to come to the US subtitled with the original voice actors included.

NAMCO: Say that's great. Can we also give Sano a billion dollars?

SCEA: Okay but we won't be outdone. We are giving Sano 3 billion dollars since this is all part of his dream anyway. We'll even toss in Salma Hayek for free!

(After this dream Sano wakes up from his usual passing out from having drunk one too many root beers. He finds himself in the ghetto wearing only his underwear as the gang bangers have beat him up, taken all of his clothes and left him in the middle of the hood for the fifth time this week and it's only Monday...)

Ryu and Chun-Li forever!

Black_Hayato
128th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(1):" , posted Fri 27 May 12:45post reply

Maybe they just want the kind of credibility and respect that Japan VAs enjoy. To the extent of their voice actually being a selling point and have ppl overseas bitch when they change the voices to english. Or even be in the credits. But thats a big maybe.

simonbelmont
23th Post

New Customer

"Re(1):Strike that will cripple the gaming ind" , posted Fri 27 May 18:44post reply

No big loss. Nearly all English voice actors suck. Using my high school drama skills from 10 years ago I could do a far better job. I always flip the audio to the original Japanese voice actors anyway. Maybe they should start digging up real English voice actors like the ones who worked on GI Joe and Transformers. At least they put some passion into their work. RIP Chris Latta. English voice actors today act almost as good as actors in a Hemroid or Lifecall commercial.

Pollyanna
1126th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member+

"Re(2):Strike that will cripple the gaming ind" , posted Fri 27 May 19:15post reply

As an English voice actor, I feel obligated to stick up for other actors. VAs don't suck in themselves...it's a combination of bad directors, bad scriptwriters and bad translators that make for a bad experience. Since many of the VAs I work with are professional theater actors, saying that they suck is like saying that theater actors suck.

That isn't to say that there aren't a lot of -BAD- VAs out there, it's just that it's a much bigger problem than "English VAs suck".

I hate dubs as much as the next person, but for different reasons. Besides, anyone who thinks that Japanese dubs are always good is either naive, biased, or doesn't understand Japanese well enough to tell a mediocre performance from a good one. I find myself disappointed with nearly as many Japanese dubs as I do English ones these days. They just have the advantage of not being bastardized by a tag-team of translators, writers and directors.

I had an audition with a studio that specializes in video games recently, so I hope I can sneak my way into someone's game collection someday.

Radish
2871th Post

"Re(4):Strike that will cripple the gaming ind" , posted Fri 27 May 20:29post reply

quote:

Exactly. And it's not like there are a really high percentage of games that use celebrity voice actors... and even then, people aren't really getting the games because they know a celebrity's going to be doing a VOICE in it. They play because they like the game or series or whatever (such as Grand Theft Auto... did anyone really buy Vice City because they knew Burt Reynolds and Ray Liotta were doing voices in it?). It's not like there aren't enough factors screwing up the game industry now without the Film Actors Guild interfering.

"You sure made the game industry better... didn't ya, Film Actors Guild?"

Mike Myers is getting something to the tune of $9 million to be in the next Shrek game. That has to be a little frustrating to your average voice actor.

Personally I don't really care about what language something is in, as long as it sounds good. In my opinion the English track of Disgaea is much better than the Japanese one, but on the other hand the Phantom Brave guys were just reading lines off a sheet of paper.

While some of these people are overestimating their importance to the industry, I do think that voice acting has become part of mainstream videogames. I would estimate that most people now-a-days (i.e people buying GTA, Madden and EA WW2/Vietnam games) would rather hear the chartacters than read what they say. Hearing a guy screaming about "Charlie coming out of the trees, man!" has more impact than scrolling through some text of him saying it.

Iggy
6572th Post

"The world is a big scary place." , posted Fri 27 May 20:34post reply

Since I have nothing to contribute on this subject, I just want to say I was nearly raped by two bimbos with saphic tendencies this morning.

From now on, everytime I'll go take a coffee, I'll fear for my life.

ねんがんの ネ申ゲーをてにいれたぞ!