Namco X Capcom out in the Nippon! Question! - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (9359 Views )

Burning Ranger
1209th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Namco X Capcom out in the Nippon! Question!" , posted Thu 26 May 05:15post reply

NXC is out in Japan... but has a US release been announced? Sorry if this has been mentioned elsewhere.

Advanced Cyborg E. Branger AKA Burning Ranger

I like Appleseed...

Replies:

Shapermc
94th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(1):Namco X Capcom out in the Nippon! Quest" , posted Thu 26 May 05:31:post reply

quote:
NXC is out in Japan... but has a US release been announced? Sorry if this has been mentioned elsewhere.

quote:
Namco Live Help
Please wait for a site operator to respond.
You are now chatting with 'Rob'
Rob: Thank you for contacting Namco's Live Support. How may I help you?
GUY: Namco of Japan's strategy-RPG "Namco X Capcom" was not shown at E3 by Namco Hometek nor Capcom USA. This game has generated tremendous word-of-mouth support by its fanbase in the US. Does Namco Hometek have plans to localize it for North America?
Rob: Currently there is no information available regarding that title.

[this message was edited by Shapermc on Thu 26 May 05:32]

Freeter
4297th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(2):Namco X Capcom out in the Nippon! Quest" , posted Thu 26 May 05:45post reply

quote:
Namco Live Help
Rob: Thank you for contacting Namco's Live Support. How may I help you?
GUY: Do you touch yourself at night?
Rob: Yes.

Juan
4165th Post

"Re(2):Namco X Capcom out in the Nippon! Quest" , posted Thu 26 May 05:52post reply

quote:

Namco Live Help
Rob: Thank you for contacting Namco's Live Support. Namco X Capcom will never be released outside of Japan. How may I help you?
GUY: oh

Abster
44th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(3):Namco X Capcom out in the Nippon! Quest" , posted Thu 26 May 05:55post reply

Sounds like another title they consider too Japanese to release outside of Japan. What cruelty not to celebrate Namco's 50th anniversary outside of Japan. Sounds an awful lot like SSRPG.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v311/Abster316/dedication3.gif [Image Attached]

There's no substitution to dedication

Gojira
1728th Post

Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(4):Namco X Capcom out in the Nippon! Quest" , posted Thu 26 May 06:25post reply

quote:
Sounds like another title they consider too Japanese to release outside of Japan. What cruelty not to celebrate Namco's 50th anniversary outside of Japan. Sounds an awful lot like SSRPG.

Nonsense. They have, like, an anniversiary compilation coming out in the US. And it'll be maybe different from the 200 others they've already released... I guess

Fuchikoma
1323th Post

"Re(5):Namco X Capcom out in the Nippon! Quest" , posted Thu 26 May 07:16post reply

I think the game isn't being considered for the US because of the large amount of pretty obscure characters. It's sort of the same case for games like SVC Card Fighters Clash 2... great game... just not much of a US market. I consider myself pretty knowledgable about games... but I've been having a hard time recognizing a lot of these Namco characters.

There's also a great deal of voice acting that would need to be dubbed over... and a LOT of different voice actors needed. So far I've noticed every character has a unique VA... some recognizable ones too... like Regina has the VA for Motoko Kusanagi... although it's funny King from Tekken doesn't have a VA... they just sort of translate his growls. The music and voices are great though... Zabel had me rolling on the floor laughing.

I didn't like the game very much when I started it yesterday... but as I progressed this morning and the more recognizable Capcom characters starting showing up... it's really grown on me. The fighting isn't complicated at all... so die hard fans should consider importing it. The story isn't very complicated either... pretty much every stage starts with a different group of Namco and Capcom characters... they say "who the hell are you?" or "oh hey, you're Ken Masters that martial arts champion"... then you beat up some bad guys.

I still don't get what the money is for though... I haven't been able to buy anything and I've cleared like the first 4 or 5 acts...

Abster
45th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(1):Namco X Capcom out in the Nippon! Quest" , posted Thu 26 May 07:38post reply

Hmmmm. Well, given SCEA's recent history of requiring english voices for their games, that makes a point. But it's pretty sad to dedicate a major project to just one audience.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v311/Abster316/dedication3.gif [Image Attached]

There's no substitution to dedication

crazymike
1121th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member+

"Re(2):Namco X Capcom out in the Nippon! Quest" , posted Thu 26 May 11:59post reply

What I want to know is why Sony of America is such a bitch about projects like this anyway. I am even amazed Final Fantasy 7 got over here in the first place. Me thinks if it had been released post-2000, they would have said "look at all this text, we ain't translating this damn thing!"

Gojira
1730th Post

"Re(6):Namco X Capcom out in the Nippon! Quest" , posted Thu 26 May 16:16post reply

quote:
I think the game isn't being considered for the US because of the large amount of pretty obscure characters. It's sort of the same case for games like SVC Card Fighters Clash 2... great game... just not much of a US market. I consider myself pretty knowledgable about games... but I've been having a hard time recognizing a lot of these Namco characters.

I don't think that was really the case with CFC. There was a definite point in time when the NGPC was eradicated from the North American market, and any new NGPC games after Gals Fighter like that KoF board game and CFC2 were never translated. Had the NGPC survived I think CFC2 would definitely have been brought over.

quote:

There's also a great deal of voice acting that would need to be dubbed over... and a LOT of different voice actors needed. So far I've noticed every character has a unique VA... some recognizable ones too... like Regina has the VA for Motoko Kusanagi... although it's funny King from Tekken doesn't have a VA... they just sort of translate his growls. The music and voices are great though... Zabel had me rolling on the floor laughing.

This is probably what I'm looking forward to the most.

BTW, any hint of extra modes in the game?

Fuchikoma
1324th Post

"Re(7):Namco X Capcom out in the Nippon! Quest" , posted Thu 26 May 18:55post reply

10 hours into the game and I can finally use my money... a merchant character shows up and you can buy items or equipment. I've also noticed that now there's treasure chests on the map that also have gear in them.

As for extra modes... there's no indication of any so far. The game is very linear, so I don't see any side quests... although some characters that showed up in earlier stages like Tron Bonne/Kobun team and the Guy/Sho team were only on that single stage and haven't been back yet... so maybe they have their own side quests.

Probably one of the more interesting things to uncover is the Multiple Assault moves... it's basically a fancy term for team attacks. If your characters are in the right locations you can do some cool stuff... like there's this firing squad move with Regina, Bruce, and that other RE Dead Aim chick along with Lei Lei... Lei Lei keeps throwing them different guns while they unload flame throwers... rockets... and a ton of bullets... and it ends with Lei Lei knocking out Bruce with a tub... lol. Of course you have other expected MS moves... like Ryu and Ken doing an auto combo attack that ends in a double Shoryuken... Bravo Man and Wonder Momo have a good one too when they're surrounded by two enemies... Momo does a jumping splits kick while trying not to have a fanservice shot shot, then Bravo Man throws some punches and it ends with Momo spinning around and shooting tons of fireballs.

Cool stuff... definitely incentive to keep on playing the game though. You gain more moves with experience... I just got the MA move for the main characters that lets you take out 3 enemies at one.

Rid
6644th Post

"new vid" , posted Thu 26 May 19:58post reply

http://namco-ch.net/namco_x_capcom/movie/index.php Multiple Assault Digest

Iggy
6571th Post

"Re(1):new vid" , posted Fri 27 May 06:14post reply

Pikachu (the heroin) is a VIPPER.
Suddenly, テラキョーミブカス

Fortunately, this is faaaaaaaaar too long and repetitive for me to fall for it.

ねんがんの ネ申ゲーをてにいれたぞ!

Sano
1788th Post

Silver Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(1):new vid" , posted Fri 27 May 06:18post reply

quote:

Ryu and Ken vs. Gouki. YES!!!

Ryu and Chun-Li forever!

kurushimi
68th Post

Occasional Customer

"Intro Available at IGN" , posted Fri 27 May 06:26post reply

http://media.ps2.ign.com/media/726/726493/vids_1.html

Is there any name or title given to the OP song?

Spoon
1009th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Re(1):new vid" , posted Fri 27 May 06:57post reply

quote:

The last one with shop lady, Mobi (POWER UP!), and the Forgotten Worlds dudes made me feel warm and fuzzy.... but with representation from Side Arms and Forgotten Worlds... is Section Z left out? Cuz I'd love to see that guy again.

GekigangerV
1102th Post

"Re(1):Intro Available at IGN" , posted Fri 27 May 10:55post reply

quote:
http://media.ps2.ign.com/media/726/726493/vids_1.html

Is there any name or title given to the OP song?

Yeah, it's Subarashiki Shin Sekai (Wonderful New World) by Flair.

As for GITS' Kusanagi's seiyuu also playing Regina, does she also play Chun Li in the game? I know she also plays her in Street Fighter III 3rd Strike. She sure sounded like her to me.

I also recently got this game and I am starting to get into it. My favorites so far are COS-MOS, Ken, Ryu, and Chun Li.

Fuchikoma
1326th Post

"mini-games" , posted Fri 27 May 11:28post reply

First off I have to agree with Iggy and say the fights are mind numbingly repetitive... however for me at least it's been the characters that drive me to play the game. I just love to see how all these classic characters interact with one another... sure this could have also just as easily been done with a manga... but with this at least you have nice music and voices.

Speaking of voices, yeah I've noticed a couple actors seem to be pulling double or triple duty... Chun Li and and Regina sound pretty close... but Chunner has a slightly different tone. Regina speaks exactly like Motoko Kusanagi though. Janga and Kurino sound the same... Heihachi and the big mace guy with the wrapped up face sound the same too.

About 12-13 hours in the game there's a mini game you get to play. You play Chou Han against some red frog with an eye patch... you can really win lots of money... in my case I lost a lot though... I suck at Chou Han. :(

My favorite character so far has be the Guy/Sho team... they're so freaking awesome, but I've only had them on one stage. Next to that has to be the Hideo/Kyoko Rival Schools team... good offense with Hideo and good defense with Kyoko's counter.

Sano
1790th Post

"Re(1):mini-games" , posted Fri 27 May 12:12:post reply

Yes, Chun-Li and Regina have the same seiyuu in this game, Atsuko Tanaka. Also Ghost in the Shell's Motoko Kusanagi's seiyuu as has been pointed out and Chun-Li's SF3 seiyuu.

Ryu and Chun-Li forever!

[this message was edited by Sano on Fri 27 May 12:16]

GekigangerV
1104th Post

"Re(2):mini-games" , posted Sat 28 May 00:18:post reply

quote:
Yes, Chun-Li and Regina have the same seiyuu in this game, Atsuko Tanaka. Also Ghost in the Shell's Motoko Kusanagi's seiyuu as has been pointed out and Chun-Li's SF3 seiyuu.

I swear that Kakashi's seiyuu from Naruto (or Jerrid Mesa from Z Gundam) plays Reiji, since he sounds a lot like him. And Tomozaku Seki plays Stan. And Shippou's seiyuu from Inuyasha plays one of the black furry creatures (excuse me for my lack of knowledge on what I think to be is a Namco character).

And Tarosuke kind of talked like Naruto sometimes by ending a couple of his sentences with "tte bayo" which I found interesting.

Anyway, I would also like to say that the intro is the best anime intro in a game I've seen since King of Fighters 98 no Dreamcast.

[this message was edited by GekigangerV on Sat 28 May 00:19]

Iggy
6573th Post

"Re(3):mini-games" , posted Sat 28 May 01:30post reply

Also, I think Tarosuke speaks the same language as Naruto, which I found interesting.

ねんがんの ネ申ゲーをてにいれたぞ!

Shingo The One
544th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(3):mini-games" , posted Sat 28 May 01:41post reply

quote:

I swear that Kakashi's seiyuu from Naruto (or Jerrid Mesa from Z Gundam) plays Reiji, since he sounds a lot like him. And Tomozaku Seki plays Stan. And Shippou's seiyuu from Inuyasha plays one of the black furry creatures (excuse me for my lack of knowledge on what I think to be is a Namco character).

And Tarosuke kind of talked like Naruto sometimes by ending a couple of his sentences with "tte bayo" which I found interesting.

Anyway, I would also like to say that the intro is the best anime intro in a game I've seen since King of Fighters 98 no Dreamcast.

And you're right about that my friend.The main character of this game and Hatake Kakashi have the same seiyuu.And it's highly probable that, since I deduce you're a fan of Kazuhiko Inoue and hopefully Naruto, you will see him very soon in the anime in the special sidestory which tells the origin of Kakashi and his special weapon.

There is a difference between doing it FIRST and doing it RIGHT.

Fuchikoma
1327th Post

"Re(4):mini-games" , posted Sat 28 May 03:01post reply

By black furry creature... you mean the one with the huge flappy ears? In that case it would be Klonoa, and yeah I think it's the same voice actor as Shippo, who's also the same actor for Kerororo Gunsou. The more I listen to Kos Mos, the more she's sounding like the actor for Chunner/Regina/Kusanagi... especially when she does her MA with Momo and Shion. There's also a red haired ninja from Bravo Man later in the game... forgot her name... anyway she sounds like Megumi Hayashibara. I'd like the see the complete seiyu list for this game... it must be huge!

GekigangerV
1104th Post

"Re(5):mini-games" , posted Sat 28 May 04:15post reply

Yeah, it's cool they got very well credited seiyuus to do this game. .

Anyway, Famitsu gave this game a 28/40. Since they rarely give games a perfect score (Zelda 64, Soul Calibur, and Vagrant Story are the only games I know of to get a 40) and they have a reputation of rating games on a very high regard, I can understand their reasoning for giving it such a moderate score after having sometime with the game. Then again, many people can say Western and Japanese gamers have different types of mentalities and of course different tastes when it comes to gaming, so don't let the score let you down.

Iggy
6574th Post

"Re(6):mini-games" , posted Sat 28 May 05:36post reply

quote:
Famitsu gave this game a 28/40. Since they rarely give games a perfect score and they have a reputation of rating games on a very high regard

LOL.

ねんがんの ネ申ゲーをてにいれたぞ!

Sano
1791th Post

"Re(5):mini-games" , posted Sat 28 May 05:41post reply

quote:
The more I listen to Kos Mos, the more she's sounding like the actor for Chunner/Regina/Kusanagi... especially when she does her MA with Momo and Shion.

KOS MOS's seiyuu in this game is Mariko Suzuki. She also did KOS MOS's voice in Xenosaga 1 and 2 and the Xenosaga Anime.

Ryu and Chun-Li forever!

Fuchikoma
1328th Post

"Re(7):mini-games" , posted Sat 28 May 06:23post reply

quote:

LOL.

You just can't deny the awesomeness of Nintendogs... just wait and see. Every american magazine will give it a perfect score as well.

Anyway 28/40 sounds pretty accurate to me. It's just not all that great of a game. They had to pick to most retarded enemies that look like they came from an episode of Kamen Rider or something... the only slightly cool enemies so far have been the Proto Jacks and those pink hair girls from Captain Commando. The only decent bosses so far have been Gouki and Devil Kazuya... I could care less about Janga, Joker, Dark Bravo Man, Black Valkyrie, and the other lame bosses that I don't even have clue where they came from. There's just a ton of loss potential in this game... although I did think it deserves a sequel... with some ironing out it could be really good.

kurushimi
70th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(5):mini-games" , posted Sat 28 May 07:05post reply

quote:
I'd like the see the complete seiyu list for this game... it must be huge!

I'm sure it is, but that's not saying much when characters have like 1 - 2 lines of dialogue.

I'm less interested in the famitsu score than I am of the buzz in the Japanese forums about this. I'm sure a lot of SRW fans picked this up, and seeing as how that series was the king of this crossover business, would be interested in hearing their opinions.

I'm on the fence about importing it myself, since I don't get all the references, but as long as the attacks light my soul on fire I'd be happy.

Iggy
6575th Post

"Re(8):mini-games" , posted Sat 28 May 07:56post reply

quote:
You just can't deny the awesomeness of Nintendogs...
Of course I can.
A game that looses all its interest less than one week after the purchase is anything but awesome.

quote:
I'm less interested in the famitsu score than I am of the buzz in the Japanese forums about this.

Not much. People are bored, but they have nothing else to play.
Several guys have already stopped playing and just wait for those brave enough to go on and tell what happens next before they sell the game.
For one guy (and a die hard Namco fan), the VIPPER references of Pikachu has become the only thing he waits when he begins a new chapter. Too many characters eats the excitation, especially when the game has so few to offer. Remember most SRT games had one fifth character, and were generally less long (already too long and boring to my taste, may I say.) Too much charage kills the charage.

ねんがんの ネ申ゲーをてにいれたぞ!

exodus
2699th Post

"Re(9):mini-games" , posted Sat 28 May 08:05post reply

quote:
Of course I can.
A game that loses all its interest less than one week after the purchase is anything but awesome.

Hear hear! I agree completely. Yay.

GekigangerV
1105th Post

"Re(10):mini-games" , posted Sat 28 May 08:17post reply

Well, I finally unlocked that merchant guy. Nothing seems that interesting to buy. Anyway, I do anticipate a sequel within the next couple of years since the production company knows it could use improvement. From the way this game plays, it might as well could have been some anime oav series.

After listening to Demitri again, he sounds a bit like Nakazato Takeshi from Initial D.

Sano
1793th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):mini-games" , posted Sat 28 May 10:47:post reply

This Seiyuu List was posted at Gamefaqs some time ago. Snkneoshingo2k4 or as you all know him as, Shingo the One reposted the list on the ninth post of this Link. Note that it was put up at Gamefaqs a while ago and more characters have been revealed since then, so while it is not a complete list of at least of all the in game characters - I know for example Sandra's seiyuu Yuji Ueda *Sagara Sanosuke* is also Jin Saotome and Gouki's seiyuu Tomomichi Nishimura is Vega's seiyuu too - it might have all of the seiyuus in the game or just the majority. Oh, and the listing put first names first and last names last.

Link

Ryu and Chun-Li forever!

[this message was edited by Sano on Sat 28 May 10:48]

Rid
6649th Post

"Re(8):mini-games" , posted Sat 28 May 11:23post reply

quote:

LOL.

You just can't deny the awesomeness of Nintendogs... just wait and see. Every american magazine will give it a perfect score as well.
They gave a perfect score to that rotting mass of boringness disguised behind pretty graphics and music that's Vagrant Story.

ONSLAUGHT
3366th Post

"Re(9):mini-games" , posted Sat 28 May 12:33post reply

quote:
They gave a perfect score to that rotting mass of boringness disguised behind pretty graphics and music that's Vagrant Story.

Are you nuts???

Fuchikoma
1329th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):mini-games" , posted Sat 28 May 12:35post reply

quote:

Link

Ahaaa so Klonoa is Kuroro Gunsou... I knew it. :P That list is primarily the playable characters... it doesn't list the boss characters like Juli,Juni,Cammy,Lillith,Zabel,Joker,Janga,Dark Bravo Man, Black Valkyrie,Rose,Devil Kazuya, and so on...

Man does this game just go on FOREVER! At least Guy/Sho finally came back... their super where they do Guy's raging demon style attack from SFA2 Gold has to be my favorite super move in the game. What's worse is you're fighting the same damn bosses over and over... I've fought Aya and those Horse guys like 5 times already... Janga and Joker probably 3 times... just DIE ALREADY.

final showdown
55th Post

Occasional Customer

".." , posted Sat 28 May 14:00post reply

Does ryu get his shin shoryuken at all at any point durning this game. I read that he doesnt but pleeeeeeeeease tell me this is a lie! T_T

whitesword
1579th Post

Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(1):.." , posted Sat 28 May 14:28post reply

quote:
Does ryu get his shin shoryuken at all at any point durning this game. I read that he doesnt but pleeeeeeeeease tell me this is a lie! T_T

I'm fairly certain it was in on of the earlier scans, so it should be in there unless they've decided to save it for a sequel at the last minute.

Fuchikoma
1330th Post

"Re(2):.." , posted Sat 28 May 15:56post reply

quote:

I'm fairly certain it was in on of the earlier scans, so it should be in there unless they've decided to save it for a sequel at the last minute.

I'm pretty sure he does... Ryu starts off with his super hurricane kick as his close range super and his shinku hadouken as his long range super. As characters level up they gain new attacks though... so far my Ryu learned his SF3 block move that acts as a counter and he's also learned his SF3 step kick. Some of my other characters like Shion/Momo have learned stronger supers... so I wouldn't be surprised if Ryu gains the Shin Shoryuken. It also seems by some of his dialogue with Gouki that he's going to go satsu no hadou sometime fairly soon... in which case his moves might change.

Iggy
6588th Post

"Character list" , posted Sun 29 May 03:19post reply

Meh
We already know everyone.
No surprise.
AT ALL.
I'm so glad I didn't wasted money on this.

ねんがんの ネ申ゲーをてにいれたぞ!

Gojira
1735th Post

"Re(1):Character list" , posted Sun 29 May 05:25post reply

LOL

Well, if we're done applauding Iggy for his shrewd business sense, I might as well give some detailed impressions too...

Although it's a strategy game it seems the basic idea behind every stage is to give you a huge number of characters to control and throw an even bigger amount of enemies at you. As you defeat one wave of enemies a new wave will appear. There are very few shortcuts to finishing a stage, so it definitely takes a long time. Actually if there wasn't a quick evasion option I'd probably get sick of defending everything.

The dialogue is pretty funny sometimes; sure there's a lot of it in the main story, but also whenever you fight a new monster for the first time, sometimes the characters will comment on it. Like Shion it seems has a serious problem with frogs, and when Morrigan first engages Saya Demitri comments on how strangely similar they are. Unfortunately I can't read Japanese very fast so sometimes I'd get impatient and skip these, but it's still a nice touch.

One thing that's sure to disappoint many is that customization in the game seems very sparse. You can equip accessories for stat boosting and stock items for healing on characters (each unit can hold about 6 items), but otherwise I couldn't find anything that lets you change the attacks or the units to your liking. Things like that just happen automatically when you level up a certain amount or reach a certain part of the story.

Nonetheless, overall it's fun in a mindlessly addictive way. You can save in the middle of a stage or at the end, but it's hard to put down when you wonder what's going to happen or who's going to show up next. I actually forgot to eat anything yesterday because of this game. So now I'm hungry but instead of eating I feel like talking about the game, haha.

Pollyanna
1127th Post

"Re(2):Character list" , posted Sun 29 May 06:39post reply

Since Iggy asked so long ago, I'll give my impressions of the game as well. I think it's being bashed a bit too much, because...well, there are bad games and there are good games, and this one isn't one of the bad ones. As Gojira said, it's very VERY addicting. First, though...I have a lot of complaints before I get to what I like.

I thoroughly disagree with anyone who thinks that this would be better off as an anime, because everything about the game, excluding the battle system, is weak. It would be the most pointless, not-funny, not exciting, rambling anime ever produced.

The biggest problem with the game is that the characters talk too much and they don't have anything good to say. EVERYONE talks for EVERYTHING ALL THE TIME. The fight always stops at least once for a (often) lengthy conversation, usually about nothing at all. Many, if not most of the characters are simply not interesting enough to talk THIS much. Sure, you think that it would have some great inside jokes, but the writing is usually so mediocre that you're better off forgetting about the game and buying second-rate doujinshi instead. I don't want to knock it TOO much, because there is an occassional good joke or line, but they're swallowed in a sea of crap that I have to swim through to look for them.

Perhaps the worst thing about the dialogue/story is that it has absolutely no focal point or theme. The characters are so mismatched that when the game tries to do everything, it succeeds in doing nothing. The opening had a good feel to it that I thought would pervade thematically in the game, but that's not the case. The plot is most disorganized and meaningless thing I've ever seen. I realize that this was inevitable, but it doesn't have an overlying ANYTHING and even the scenes can't carry a solid idea across. There are times...usually when a small group of characters are speaking, that it works, but never in big groups.

Also...although everyone knows this...the art is terrible. It's some of the worst I've ever seen. And yet...somehow the Justice Gakuen characters came out looking perfect. I don't get it.

But...I think the game is totally redeemed by its battle system, which not only looks beautiful, but is arguably the most fun system I've played with in a while. I can't believe no one has said this yet, but the battles are very much like Valkyrie Profile's. If you're a big fan of VP's battle system, then that's reason enough to get the game. Although they require no strategy at all and have so many characters on screen that you completely forget about half of them, the combo system is just WAY too much fun. Even if I'm not challenged by the fight itself, I'm always challenged to create bigger and better combos to wipe out enemies in one shot.

This is why this game is so much better than SRW. In SRW, you're not in control of your attack. When you wipe out an enemy, you just push a button. But in this game, you've constructed a beautiful combo attack. You actually DID something...and it was fun. This combined with my tendency to try and keep my teams balanced in terms of EXP keeps me entertained. The fact that you're always learning new moves/upgrades to current moves keeps things fresh.

Actually...they keep things fresh very well with introductions to new characters and surprise appearances in the middle of battles. If Namco hadn't totally revealed every character (though I'm still surprised by some bosses) ahead of time, then the surprise would be really enjoyable.

I forgot to say...to anyone who hasn't played the game...when I first saw videos, I was afraid that the animations would take too long, but that's not the case at all (excluding the double moves) because you're in control of every attack. Defending is boring, but attacking is not.

There are many people who will play this game and hope they get it right for the sequel. If they can streamline the battle system a little more (I think La Pucelle could teach them a few things) and make the times when you aren't killing people more fun, then they'll have a truly excellent game. As it is, the game is still good enough to not get lost in the "I hope the sequel (if there is one) is good" mentality. It's also good enough to temporarily make me put Hanjuku Hero 4 aside, which is a HUGE accomplishment, especially after I watched the opening.

On a final note...to those of you who keep bitching about this not coming to America, or talking endlessly about it happening...give it a rest. If you import the game, you'll still be able to appreciate the best part of it. If I was Namco, I don't know if I'd bring it over or not. If you're one of those who complains about games not coming over here, but is too lame to import them, then shut the hell up. I hate to be rude, but I'm sick of hearing this everywhere all the time.

Fuchikoma
1333th Post

"Re(3):Character list" , posted Sun 29 May 07:20:post reply

I think I would like the battle system better if there was some customize feature. It's all just O then O and any direction until you branch out. The only advantage to completing a combo is it will give you a little hp or mp. I really like the MA moves... but some are just ridiculously weak... especially the ones that let you target 3 enemies at once. At least the MA moves have the "friggin sweet" factor going for them though... it might be a total waste of mp, but you get to see the entire Commando Team and Guy go nuts on some bad guys.

I'm 30 hours in and still no end in sight... and Aya and her damn horse guys still won't die. At least Strider finally showed up... Arthur completely sucks BTW.

Dunno if I'm going to keep playing though... I'm tempted to start playing through Haunting Ground.

edit- oh yeah and the length of these battles is killing me... we're talking like Front Mission 4 long! The fights now are lasting like 1 1/2 to 2 hours.

[this message was edited by Fuchikoma on Sun 29 May 07:22]

Juan
4166th Post

"Re(3):Character list" , posted Sun 29 May 07:35post reply

The game is not coming to America!

quote:
On a final note...to those of you who keep bitching about this not coming to America, or talking endlessly about it happening...give it a rest. If you import the game, you'll still be able to appreciate the best part of it. If I was Namco, I don't know if I'd bring it over or not. If you're one of those who complains about games not coming over here, but is too lame to import them, then shut the hell up. I hate to be rude, but I'm sick of hearing this everywhere all the time.

Sano
1793th Post

"Re(3):Character list" , posted Sun 29 May 07:58post reply

quote:

Like I said before I myself will wait a year and see what happens, if I don't hear about a translation by then we'll all definitly know it's not coming here. In one year I'll have a PS3, modding my PS2 to play Japanese games won't be such a big deal. And after one year since I don't understand Japanese there should be some good Faqs at Gamefaqs to help me walk through it, much like the Faq for the Rurouni Kenshin RPG game. And that's all I have to say about that.

Ryu and Chun-Li forever!

Radish
2876th Post

"Re(4):Character list" , posted Sun 29 May 09:19post reply

quote:
The game is not coming to America!

RUB MORE SALT IN MY WOUNDS

Sano
1798th Post

"Anime Intro up at IGN" , posted Sun 29 May 10:05:post reply

IGN has the Anime Intro for us unlucky gaijin...

Let us all lend the main character our power, LOL! The Intro rules!

Ryu and Chun-Li forever!

[this message was edited by Sano on Tue 31 May 01:09]

ONSLAUGHT
3367th Post

"Mmmmhh..." , posted Sun 29 May 11:12post reply

quote:

I love when they get "rude".
By the way, how can you tell people to stop bitching, when your "import" collection consists of ISOs on blank DVDs? Perhaps the people that bitch are waiting for a proper release in ENGLISH! I mean, not everyone is an otaku that pretend to know japanese because they love the anime and know how to say "kawaii". Are you fluent in japanese to fully enjoy the game? or you just understand some of it? If so, congratulations, but not everyone here knows 27 different languages just to play some games.
So, if you don't like people that bitch when a game is not coming to America or Europe, then shut the hell up. I hate to be rude, but I'm sick of hearing stupid elitist shit everywhere all the time.

Gojira
1737th Post

"Re(4):Character list" , posted Sun 29 May 12:13:post reply

quote:

The biggest problem with the game is that the characters talk too much and they don't have anything good to say. EVERYONE talks for EVERYTHING ALL THE TIME. The fight always stops at least once for a (often) lengthy conversation, usually about nothing at all. Many, if not most of the characters are simply not interesting enough to talk THIS much. Sure, you think that it would have some great inside jokes, but the writing is usually so mediocre that you're better off forgetting about the game and buying second-rate doujinshi instead. I don't want to knock it TOO much, because there is an occassional good joke or line, but they're swallowed in a sea of crap that I have to swim through to look for them.

The amount of talking is definitely staggering, and this will definitely bother some people, but I wouldn't go so far as to say that most of them are worthless. In my experience crossovers are full of things like this, so I've come to expect it from them (or at least gotten used to it).

And the battle system does have a similarity with Valkyrie Profile since you sometimes control two characters at once, but the impression I got was more like a slightly altered version of Xenogears, which makes sense given the developer.

quote:
I think I would like the battle system better if there was some customize feature. It's all just O then O and any direction until you branch out. The only advantage to completing a combo is it will give you a little hp or mp.

Limits of the battle scene don't bother me too much... the only thing that really annoys me about not being able to customize is that some attacks get replaced by a level up and you never see them again. Like Jin's Laser Cannon gets replaced by the double-punch. He still has Laser Scraper but still there is a difference; it would have been nice to be able to decide which attack I want replaced instead of being forced into it.

As for comboing, I'm still trying to figure out what affects what (Monolith Soft never fails to confuse me with its overabundant stats and meters), but I'm sure there's a little more to it than recovery. Even though you can let them hit the ground and still keep attacking, you gain a branch or two if you can keep them in the air long enough. And those green triangles on the left seem to have some purpose too (EXP?).

EDIT: POWERUP

[this message was edited by Gojira on Sun 29 May 12:34]

Juke Joint Jezebel
3407th Post

"Re(1):Mmmmhh..." , posted Sun 29 May 12:17post reply

quote:

hahaha

quote:
I love when they get "rude".
By the way, how can you tell people to stop bitching, when your "import" collection consists of ISOs on blank DVDs? Perhaps the people that bitch are waiting for a proper release in ENGLISH! I mean, not everyone is an otaku that pretend to know japanese because they love the anime and know how to say "kawaii". Are you fluent in japanese to fully enjoy the game? or you just understand some of it? If so, congratulations, but not everyone here knows 27 different languages just to play some games.
So, if you don't like people that bitch when a game is not coming to America or Europe, then shut the hell up. I hate to be rude, but I'm sick of hearing stupid elitist shit everywhere all the time.

zing!

Pollyanna
1128th Post

"Re(1):Mmmmhh..." , posted Sun 29 May 16:09post reply

quote:

How am I elitist? I want people to shut up and import the game. If I was elitist I would taunt people about not having an English release. There are some games that I'm "elitist" about because they aren't worth it for people who can't understand Japanese, but generally speaking, I wish people would import more games.

People have the power to play NXC and enjoy it even if they don't speak Japanese. If they can't be happy with that, that's their problem, but it doesn't make me elitist...unless I'm in an elite group of people who aren't weenies. I've imported games for years, many before I understood any Japanese. I got sick of relying on US companies and decided to enjoy whatever games I wanted.

Also, assuming that my "import collection" is nothing but burns is like accusing a social drinker of being a raging alcoholic.

I admit that bitching about bitching is hypocritical and that I should have kept my "mouth shut", though bitching about my bitching isn't any better.

Shingo The One
549th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(2):Mmmmhh..." , posted Sun 29 May 16:33post reply

quote:

How am I elitist? I want people to shut up and import the game. If I was elitist I would taunt people about not having an English release. There are some games that I'm "elitist" about because they aren't worth it for people who can't understand Japanese, but generally speaking, I wish people would import more games.

People have the power to play NXC and enjoy it even if they don't speak Japanese. If they can't be happy with that, that's their problem, but it doesn't make me elitist...unless I'm in an elite group of people who aren't weenies. I've imported games for years, many before I understood any Japanese. I got sick of relying on US companies and decided to enjoy whatever games I wanted.

Also, assuming that my "import collection" is nothing but burns is like accusing a social drinker of being a raging alcoholic.

I admit that bitching about bitching is hypocritical and that I should have kept my "mouth shut", though bitching about my bitching isn't any better.

I agree with you Pollyanna.I don't give a fuck about this shit.As long as the game is long and fun, just like this one, I don't care if it's in Japanese.Seriously, there are very few games which are very good and have excellent voice acting in English.As for import games, if something's worth my time and my money, I buy it, I play it and I enjoy it.And it's also a good way to broaden my horizons, since it's the first time I ever played a game like this.So enjoy NamcoXCapcom at least for the fantastic seiyuu and the cool action.

Maou
650th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(3):Mmmmhh..." , posted Sun 29 May 16:52post reply

Now now, everybody smile-
But seriously, I think I can understand both sides. I think non-Japanese have a legitimate reason to complain when great games aren't translated for stupid reasons...it's a travesty Americans never had their Final Fantasy V, their Tales of Phantasia, and the good Japanese Sega Saturn library. On the other hand, that doesn't mean that the large chunks of games not translated are necessarily as good as these particular games. A good number of games don't make it outside Japan because they suck. Some games that are never translated deserve to be complained about, some aren't...it would get annoyig hearing people complain because they never got to play Zill'Ol or the Slayers RPG or something in English. I don't know if NamcoXCapcom is in the complaint-worthy category or not, but hey.

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

Iggy
6594th Post

"Re(2):Mmmmhh..." , posted Sun 29 May 17:05:post reply

quote:
If I was elitist I would taunt people about not having an English release.
That's what I do most of the time, and it feels so good inside.

quote:
like accusing a social drinker of being a raging alcoholic.
Somehow, I find it funny you say this to Onsy.

Also, Shingowhatever2008 agreed with Polly, and the rules of the cafe state it means s/he won the argument!
Now shut up and get drunk, Onsy!

I like the idea of SNKneogeoshingoiwantyourcockinmyass2003 being some kind of online pythia (plus he's greek, isn't he) getting stoned and rambling incoherent shit, then us common followers would have to unscramble the message of the gods hidden in the nonsense.
I feel close to him sometimes.

ねんがんの ネ申ゲーをてにいれたぞ!

[this message was edited by Iggy on Sun 29 May 17:12]

Shingo The One
551th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(3):Mmmmhh..." , posted Sun 29 May 17:27:post reply

quote:
If I was elitist I would taunt people about not having an English release. That's what I do most of the time, and it feels so good inside.

like accusing a social drinker of being a raging alcoholic. Somehow, I find it funny you say this to Onsy.

Also, Shingowhatever2008 agreed with Polly, and the rules of the cafe state it means s/he won the argument!
Now shut up and get drunk, Onsy!

I like the idea of SNKneogeoshingoiwantyourcockinmyass2003 being some kind of online pythia (plus he's greek, isn't him) getting stoned and rambling incoherent shit, then us common followers would have to unscramble the message of the gods hidden in the nonsense.

Nice shit, Iggy-san.And my name is Shingo The One.You don't need to type bull and a year together just to mention me.
No offense.

[this message was edited by Shingo The One on Sun 29 May 17:37]

Fuchikoma
1333th Post

"Re(4):Mmmmhh..." , posted Sun 29 May 18:00post reply

LOL... wow, somehow this game has the power to bring out the worst in everybody. I do think that Namco should bring it out in America.. but then they should also bring out Tales of Rebirth in the US as well as publicly apologize for Death by Degrees. It just won't happen.

The only way to play the game is to play the import version... and it's not too difficult if you don't know japanese. The battle system is very basic and upgraded moves automatically replace your old moves. You're not missing anything story wise either... a lot of it doesn't even make sense. The first 25+ hours of the game you'll fight nothing but crappy Wonder Momo, Bravo Man, Shadowland, Klonoa, and Nightmare of Druaga characters that by time Bison, Devil Kazuya, or Red Aremer show up... you're already bored of the game. Of course that's easy for me to say... I didn't pay for it.

Pollyanna
1129th Post

"Re(4):Mmmmhh..." , posted Sun 29 May 18:02post reply

I forgot to reply to everyone else. Look for your name!

Fuchikoma: What do you mean "the only advantage to completing a combo"? Comboing gives you damage bonuses, MP/HP bonuses and EXP bonuses. Did I misunderstand you, or did you misunderstand the system?
Anyway, I'd just like to be able to pick my team more often. I'd have enough customization if I could "customize" the characters I dislike off my team. I don't really mind the lack of customization because the battle system is interesting.

Sano: Funny you mention the RK RPG. That was one of the first RPGs I imported.

Gojira: Maybe I would have a higher tolerance for the bad dialogue if it didn't go along with a bad plot with no focus. Novelty only takes you so far. I was really hoping when I saw preview videos and the opening, that the game would have an uplifting cheesy justice theme. Unfortunately, it can't even keep the plot in focus.
The system is like VP, regardless of how many character you have, because you're trying to link a series of attacks together to get a larger combo to get more bonuses and shoot for a "super move". I'm not saying this because I don't think you understand, I'm just saying that that's exactly what you do in VP, but not in Xenogears.

Yeah...and there's way too much crap on the screen sometimes. It took me a while to figure it out, myself.

Maou: Ah...is Zill'Ol bad? I thought the remake looked pretty, but I was highly reluctant to buy it, given the plethora of other games available.
Also, I think there are a lot of games that might be good, but simply aren't worth the effort of bringing over. That's my verdict on NXC. It's a decent game that Americans might like, but for the trouble, it's hardly worth the risk and the effort. I try to look at things from the perspective of the company as well as the consumer. People who get really excited about import games tend to think that other consumers will feel the same way (and the company somehow owes them something, when that isn't necessarily the case.

EddyT
490th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(5):Mmmmhh..." , posted Sun 29 May 18:16:post reply

I think that if Namco were to make a great crossover game that would truly draw in fans of both franchises... they would do what they do best, and that's make a 3D fighter with a select few characters.

I don't think this game would reach the states, but oddly enough... I don't seem to mind anymore. I'm not much of a strategy RPG person to begin with... and I could see how the vast amount of voice acting, translation and obscure characters would keep Namco from localizing that game to the US.

[this message was edited by EddyT on Sun 29 May 18:17]

Fuchikoma
1334th Post

"Re(5):Mmmmhh..." , posted Sun 29 May 18:21post reply

What I'm saying about the combo system is that at least for me I'm just doing the combo because it recharges some HP/MP and charges up your super meter.

The combos are fun for a while... but then they just became tedious. If there was some option for a Super Robot Wars style automatic attack... I'd go for it just to speed things up. Defending is even more tedious.

I guess mixing up your moves in a combo does give you a little more freedom than a preset attack. It's certainly the only way to "customize" in the game... how many hours do you have to play until you can actually pick who you want on a team?... like 15 hours or so. If I could I would have ditched Klonoa/Ganz, Tarosuke/Kagekiyo, and other worthless characters right away. Also after you've played like close to 30 hours and you're still getting new guys like Arthur, Strider, and Captain Commando... they're pretty weak compared to characters that you've been leveling up for most of the game like Ryu and Kos Mos.

I guess for me if I'm playing a game that has such long battles and an overall long playing time... I want choices. Front Mission 4 is just as tedious... but it was the hundreds of customizable features that kept me interested all the way through.

Pollyanna
1130th Post

"Re(6):Mmmmhh..." , posted Sun 29 May 19:05post reply

quote:
What I'm saying about the combo system is that at least for me I'm just doing the combo because it recharges some HP/MP and charges up your super meter.

The combos are fun for a while... but then they just became tedious. If there was some option for a Super Robot Wars style automatic attack... I'd go for it just to speed things up. Defending is even more tedious.

I guess mixing up your moves in a combo does give you a little more freedom than a preset attack. It's certainly the only way to "customize" in the game... how many hours do you have to play until you can actually pick who you want on a team?... like 15 hours or so. If I could I would have ditched Klonoa/Ganz, Tarosuke/Kagekiyo, and other worthless characters right away. Also after you've played like close to 30 hours and you're still getting new guys like Arthur, Strider, and Captain Commando... they're pretty weak compared to characters that you've been leveling up for most of the game like Ryu and Kos Mos.

Well, the biggest advantage to doing big combos is that it ups your branch, so you can kill enemies (hopefully) in one turn. Trying to minimize enemy turns and speed up the battle as a result is my primary objective when I'm playing.

Regardless, if you're not into the combo system (which I think is a little more complex than you're making it out to be) I can certainly understand why you would want more customization. At the same time, though...if you're not into the battle system, I have no idea what you're getting out of the game at this point.

If there was an auto option, I think it would be "unfair" if it optimized your attack. For one, even if I do a good combo, there's no guarantee I'll get it right the next time. For some characters, timing is more complicated. If it gave you a non-optimized attack (not as much damage as you'd get from a good combo) and cut the animation (or gave you the option to), I might say it's a good idea, but otherwise, it just takes too much from the system. The game is NOT a good (traditional) SRPG by any means, so when you take out its interesting battle system and reduce it to that, then the game has very little going for it.

I don't find Tarosuke/Kagekiyo useless at all, just...more difficult to combo with. If I can get the timing right, then they're actually one of the strongest teams I have. I dunno if they're stronger than Kos-mos, but...then again, it's also hard to screw up with her.

My opinion may change when I make it as far as you, but I'm liking the game more and more as I go, excluding a few ridiculously long battles. Still, they put more thought into the enemy positions/HP/backup than they do in SRW by a LONG SHOT.

Oh, and hey! I didn't know your Japanese was good...AND you pirated the game. That means you can join my ELITIST JAPANESE PIRATE SOCIETY. Sugoi! People who pay for things they can get for free are bakas!

Fuchikoma
1335th Post

"Re(7):Mmmmhh..." , posted Sun 29 May 20:06post reply

I think what's got me so turned off about the battle system... really the whole game... is the length of the battles. There's a point in the game where yeah if you can manage to complete a combo without the guy ever hitting the ground you can kill him in one turn. The enemies get tougher though and that's no longer possible with most characters (except your strongest ones)... but most of the time you can't choose your characters so you're also stuck with the weak and worthless ones. My Sakura/Karin can do two complete combo chains and hardly ever kill someone on the first try now.

Just doing the same combo over and over on the same enemies over and over has worn thin. I currently stopped playing the game... and probably in a day or two I'll go back and it'll be interesting again.

Kagekiyo becomes pretty worthless when you get Mitsurugi. Mitsu has similar moves, but they're easier to time... plus he has a counter which Kagekiyo does not. There's actually quite a few redundant characters... that basically have the same attack patterns... Ryu and Ken, Bruce/Regina and Fong/LeiLei, Tron Bonne and Fuuba/Mack, Klonoa/Ganz and Hiromi/Masyo, Stan/Ruthie and Gil/Kai... it makes me wish they would have really diversified more with someone from Katamari, Ridge Racer, Time Crisis, Bionic Commando, Viewtiful Joe, Devil May Cry, and so on....

ELITIST JAPANESE PIRATE SOCIETY eh? So the EJPS... that's beyond elite... beyond L337... it's リートー! Now excuse me while I stare at my Wario Ware Touched rom that has no working emulator to play it with....

Sano
1796th Post

"Re(5):Mmmmhh..." , posted Mon 30 May 00:51:post reply

quote:
Sano: Funny you mention the RK RPG. That was one of the first RPGs I imported.

Yeah, wasn't great, had a huge amount of BS stuff that never happens in the Anime/Manga - Fighting Ghosts, a Dragon, oversized animals, but it's still Rurouni Kenshin and an enjoyable experience for RK fans, even if it seems like a silly fan fic of sorts.

Ryu and Chun-Li forever!

[this message was edited by Sano on Mon 30 May 00:53]

Maou
652th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(6):Mmmmhh..." , posted Mon 30 May 02:54:post reply

Fuchikoma and Polly: your elite American pirate importer speak is just a little too realistic, and now I have a stomach ache.

Is Zill'Ol bad? I don't know, it might be fine, but it was just one of those games I could see people complaining about not getting in America, just because. These days, it's hard for a game not to get translated unless it really sucks... especially with Working Designs, Ubi Soft, and Atlus translating lesser-known good (and sometimes bad) RPG's, too. Not that I can judge whether I will buy a Japanese-made game based on whether it went to America, since plenty of dreck still gets translated, but it seems like very few good things fail to be exported.

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

[this message was edited by Maou on Mon 30 May 03:01]

Radish
2877th Post

"Re(7):Mmmmhh..." , posted Mon 30 May 03:05post reply

quote:
Fuchikoma and Polly: your elite American pirate importer speak is just a little too realistic, and now I have a stomach ache.

Is Zill'Ol bad? I don't know, it might be fine, but it was just one of those games I could see people complaining about not getting in America, just because. These days, it's hard for a game not to get translated unless it really sucks... especially with Working Designs, Ubi Soft, and Atlus translating lesser-known good (and sometimes bad) RPG's, too. Not that I can judge whether I will buy a Japanese-made game based on whether it went to America, since plenty of dreck still gets translated, but it seems like very few good things fail to be exported.

Yeah pretty much nowadays the only games that don't get localized are games that are:

1. Absolutely god awful terrible
2. Require absurd amounts of licensing
3. Are too much of a niche market to make any profit (Tokimeki Memorial, Sakura Wars, etc)
4. Can't really cross cultural differences

Iggy
6600th Post

"Re(8):Mmmmhh..." , posted Mon 30 May 03:09post reply

quote:
3. Are too much of a niche market to make any profit (Tokimeki Memorial, Sakura Wars, etc)
But isn't Sakura Taisen 5 supposed to conquer America ? [/sarcasm]

ねんがんの ネ申ゲーをてにいれたぞ!

Pollyanna
1132th Post

"Re(9):Mmmmhh..." , posted Mon 30 May 06:32post reply

I have Mitsurugi and I don't think he invalidates Kagekiyo (YET), though he's a hell of a lot less trouble. I still get some of my highest damage attacks from Kagekiyo. He's almost up there with Kos-Mos. I don't think the balance is THAT off, though it's funny that you mentioned Ryu and Kos-Mos, since they're the obvious leaders of the pack. But then again...in any game with this many characters, you're going to have some winners and losers.

I think I said this before, but I very well might feel the same way as you 5 hours down the line...though I already agree that many of the fights are too long.

Also, Iggy...on your recommendation, I tried Sakura Taisen 3, but I think I've found the game that's too Japanese for me. It appeals to a sort of culture that I'm just not a part of. The battle system was good, and the dialogues were consistently funny, but it felt too "anime" if that makes any sense.

Fuchikoma
1336th Post

"Re(10):Mmmmhh..." , posted Mon 30 May 08:52post reply

Kagekiyo also has a MA with Mitsu... and at least to me it seems to be the weakest one in the game. I guess I've also just neglected my Kagekiyo since I don't really care for Shadowland.

I really thought the game had hit rock bottom, it was already to the point where no new enemies were showing up... instead I was just fighting a bunch of lame clones of Ken, Mitsu, and Kurino... along with a bunch of those mutant harpoon guys from Captain Commando that were just pallette swaps.

I'm happy to say it really picks back up though when you run into Rock and Roll. At first I would have rather have preferred classic Megaman over the Legends version... but then really Dr. Wily and Sigma have been overdone anyway... I'm happy they went with Legends because of the cool enemies. Also one of the coolest damn characters comes from the most unexpected place... Dig Dug! Taizo freaking rocks! The Lost Soldiers are really awesome too, I love that 1p is the guy who does Batou. They have a great MA with Sylphy and Sylphy herself has an awesome super where she cosplays as various characters like Lin Kurosawa.

My interest in the game is totally revitalized now... they saved some of the best characters for last!

Iggy
6602th Post

"Re(10):Mmmmhh..." , posted Mon 30 May 15:24post reply

quote:
My interest in the game is totally revitalized now... they saved some of the best characters for last!

Unfortunately, you're not around the end of the game, you've just passed over the half...
quote:
Also, Iggy...on your recommendation, I tried Sakura Taisen 3, but I think I've found the game that's too Japanese for me. It appeals to a sort of culture that I'm just not a part of. The battle system was good, and the dialogues were consistently funny, but it felt too "anime" if that makes any sense.

EEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeh ?
I'm really surprised. ST3 is indeed very animeish and predictable, but the estethics and the main characters (Lobelia and Hanabi especially) are incredibly good for that kind of game and universe... I'm not sure I understand indeed.

ねんがんの ネ申ゲーをてにいれたぞ!

Gojira
1737th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):Mmmmhh..." , posted Mon 30 May 15:26post reply

I'm finally getting the hang of what everything stands for now, although it makes me sad that everything points to not using the option of skipping defense ever, or you'll never get a turn. If only defense was more interesting and less time-consuming...

What really bothers me (though not exactly in a bad way) is that you can use items and skills when you're being attacked. So if Morrigan is getting long-range attacked without enough meter to counter, I just use a skill that raises her meter a bit and then use the counterattack. It kind of feels like cheating, but I guess without it there would be even less strategy to defending. Oh well.

And I don't know how anyone could say Karin/ Sakura is weak. They're by far my strongest team now, already the first to hit level 30. They have close and long range counters, a ridiculous number of branches with too many hits per attack, an insane lethal move, and probably the most damaging MA in the game so far (2500 to TWO enemies). Anyone who calls them weak is doing something hideously wrong with them.

But then it's possible that nobody in the game is really weak... just when I think a team is too weak to do anything I level them up and suddenly they're killing units in one shot. This may not be true with everyone, but it sure is happening a lot.

Sano
1798th Post

"Petition to bring this game to the US and UK" , posted Tue 31 May 01:18post reply

I think we all know that petitions don't work all of the time but signing this petition to bring the game to the US and UK beats doing nothing at all.

Link

Ryu and Chun-Li forever!

Pollyanna
1134th Post

"Re(1):Petition to bring this game to the US a" , posted Tue 31 May 03:02post reply

Good God, if the game is THAT long, do they have anything to offer for the 2nd half? Do you keep learning new skills and fighting new enemies at least? I can't imagine they have that much to offer.

Fuchikoma
1337th Post

"Re(2):Petition to bring this game to the US a" , posted Tue 31 May 03:18post reply

Yeah I heard that the game has something like 47 stages... which would mean I'm only half way through... I crapped myself when I heard that. Fights are just more and more tedious... but not harder... I still have yet had anyone close to dying. I did lose a battle though, I wasn't paying attention that a losing condition was to go over 24 turns... and I was being greedy and trying to go for all the treasure chests. :( Lord give me strength to play this game another 30 hours.

Time Mage
2146th Post

"Re(10):mini-games" , posted Tue 31 May 03:57post reply

quote:

Are you nuts???

Yes he is. VS is a nearly perfect videogame, from the purest gameplay perpective.

Radish
2878th Post

"Re(1):Petition to bring this game to the US a" , posted Tue 31 May 05:38post reply

quote:
I think we all know that petitions don't work all of the time but signing this petition to bring the game to the US and UK beats doing nothing at all.

Link

Petitiononline is where hope goes to die.

Gojira
1738th Post

"Re(2):Petition to bring this game to the US a" , posted Tue 31 May 17:41post reply

quote:
Good God, if the game is THAT long, do they have anything to offer for the 2nd half? Do you keep learning new skills and fighting new enemies at least? I can't imagine they have that much to offer.

Well, not exactly new, but a lot of the enemy units start to join after the halfway point, either as partners or single units. So while they're technically not new characters, they do add something. Like after Wayahime joins, Taki's lethal move changes, but not quite to the one in the trailer (I guess that comes after much leveling up). I don't know how long this continues... maybe by the end of the game just about every single enemy unit (save for the monsters and grunts) will be on your side.

Oh well, whatever it is someone else here will find out before me, since I have to stop playing the game or I'll never get back to work. I've only got a week left before break anyway, no point in slacking off now.

CHAZumaru
126th Post

Regular Customer

"TearRing Saga is selling better" , posted Tue 31 May 18:45post reply

TeaRing Saga is selling better than NxC, hahahahahaha.

Iggy
6611th Post

"Re(1):TearRing Saga is selling better" , posted Tue 31 May 18:50:post reply

Is it ? Oh god, I heard it was even worse than NxC.
May-june is really a bad season.
quote:
Semi- ripening hero 4 - 7 semi- ripening heros - ' semi- ripening Milky Way lunch

Some titles are not meant to be translated. Or maybe they are, actually.

(go go Minstrel go !)

ねんがんの ネ申ゲーをてにいれたぞ!

[this message was edited by Iggy on Tue 31 May 18:52]

Pollyanna
1135th Post

"Re(2):TearRing Saga is selling better" , posted Tue 31 May 19:23post reply

I think the complaints about NXC are a bit exaggerated, especially given that so many people seem to be playing it like there's no tomorrow. It may be that the game is just equal parts disappointing and fun. That neither speaks well nor poorly for it. At any rate, if there's 30 hours of enjoyment in there, it's a decent game to me. I can't see how people can complain about it so much and not complain about SRW. I'm not sure how the (obvious) problems with NXC are worse than the (obvious) problems with SRW.

Anyway, getting the enemies on your team is enough to motivate me, though I'd be 100% motivated if I knew there was an animated ending. It's too much to hope for, though.

Also, Berwick Saga is supposed to be bad? I didn't consider it because it was ugly. I didn't know it would be a big seller...

CHAZumaru
127th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(2):TearRing Saga is selling better" , posted Tue 31 May 19:23post reply

quote:
Is it ? Oh god, I heard it was even worse than NxC.

I am interested in opinions. Who said that ? People who actually understand the holiness of Fire Emblem ? If so, what's wrong with the new TearRing Saga game, besides the really crappy character design and stupid hexagon system and shitty interface ?

Iggy
6611th Post

"Re(3):TearRing Saga is selling better" , posted Tue 31 May 21:17post reply

quote:
I am interested in opinions. Who said that ? People who actually understand the holiness of Fire Emblem ? If so, what's wrong with the new TearRing Saga game, besides the really crappy character design and stupid hexagon system and shitty interface ?

Actually, it was fans of the series who went in the NxC thread and shat on NxC, because everybody but the avid followers was screaming "jirai, jirai".
So, the shinsha of the series defend the game. And you know how those shinsha can be : Saga shinsha can even try to convince you U : Saga is not a bad game.

Polly : oh, but some people do complain about SRT, don't worry about that.

ねんがんの ネ申ゲーをてにいれたぞ!

Radish
2881th Post

"Re(1):TearRing Saga is selling better" , posted Tue 31 May 22:27post reply

quote:
TeaRing Saga is selling better than NxC, hahahahahaha.

That thread strengthens my opinion that Nintendo could shit in a box and people would eat it and ask for seconds.

Pollyanna
1136th Post

"Re(2):TearRing Saga is selling better" , posted Wed 1 Jun 04:57post reply

quote:

That thread strengthens my opinion that Nintendo could shit in a box and people would eat it and ask for seconds.

B-but Nintendo doesn't have anything to do with this!Ah...or maybe they do...and mere one-time association with Nintendo is enough. I dunno...I haven't played the game.

Fuchikoma
1338th Post

"Re(3):TearRing Saga is selling better" , posted Wed 1 Jun 05:33post reply

That's a bummer about the sales... I hope the game sells strong enough to justify a sequel. I've found the way for me to stay interested in the game is to just limit myself to one or two battles a day. I've realized the game is just too damn long to try to finish in a couple days... so what if it takes me a month or so to go through the second half.

At least there's always fun new things popping up in the game... who would have ever thought I'd see Mike Haggar do a piledriver on a 500lb dinosaur in the middle of the desert. :)

Radish
2886th Post

"Re(3):TearRing Saga is selling better" , posted Wed 1 Jun 05:35post reply

quote:

B-but Nintendo doesn't have anything to do with this!Ah...or maybe they do...and mere one-time association with Nintendo is enough. I dunno...I haven't played the game.

Sorry, I was refering to the people so happy that the DS was selling wonderfully in Japan. Maybe there's some amazing stuff over there but currently the software is dry over here.

THREAD HIJACK OVER!

Juan
4167th Post

"Re(4):TearRing Saga is FFFFFFFFFFFT" , posted Wed 1 Jun 05:39post reply

MUCH ANGER IN THIS THREAD!

STUPID, RAW ANGER!

quote:
THREAD HIJACK OVER!

Juke Joint Jezebel
3410th Post

"Re(5):TearRing Saga is FFFFFFFFFFFT" , posted Wed 1 Jun 09:23post reply

quote:
MUCH ANGER IN THIS THREAD!

STUPID, RAW ANGER!

THREAD HIJACK OVER!

:\

GekigangerV
1106th Post

"Re(6):TearRing Saga is FFFFFFFFFFFT" , posted Wed 1 Jun 10:10post reply

Well, I've been playing this game again at a much slower pace. I just can't wait until more excitement starts (ie, getting Captain Commando and Rock and Roll). I wanna know who plays Rockman and Roll. Tarosuke recently has been refraining from the -ttebayo speech patterns just recentley, but I think he's one of the most interesting characters.

As for the game coming to America, only time can tell.