rumblefish 2 - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (4436 Views )

exodus
2671th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"rumblefish 2" , posted Tue 24 May 02:43post reply

Ok, so this may seem odd, but I really like rumblefish 2!! I got some good playtime in at Arcade Infinity in LA county...I haven't played the first extensively, but the second is really enjoyable. The system is nice, graphics are pretty top-notch (doesn't look as unnatural as the first RF), and it's really just very intuitive to play. A bunch of us insert credit types played it and everyone had a good time with it.

I'm ordering the first on PS2 now, so we shall see how that is. It feels like a cross between a CvS system and an Asuka system to me, in terms of specials, recovery and combos. Anyone else interested in this game?

Replies:

Spoon
996th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(1):rumblefish 2" , posted Tue 24 May 02:52:post reply

quote:
Ok, so this may seem odd, but I really like rumblefish 2!! I got some good playtime in at Arcade Infinity in LA county...I haven't played the first extensively, but the second is really enjoyable. The system is nice, graphics are pretty top-notch (doesn't look as unnatural as the first RF), and it's really just very intuitive to play. A bunch of us insert credit types played it and everyone had a good time with it.

I'm ordering the first on PS2 now, so we shall see how that is. It feels like a cross between a CvS system and an Asuka system to me, in terms of specials, recovery and combos. Anyone else interested in this game?

wow, i've ranted about the first one a lot hoping that the second would be better.

the first one is really rough. some of the characters look great (e.g. Zen), some of them have really crappy animations (Hikari/Kaya). Gameplay feels unrefined; most of the game is dashing in, d.LK. Advance Attack dominates the game. Some characters are fleshed out pretty well, others... well, are really one dimensional (e.g. Viren). It's a game that leaves you hankering for a sequel not becuase it itself is good, but because you see potential that could be realized.

Oh, and some of the music is really annoying.

I think the sad part is that in most places around here, TRF1 really bombed. And for that reason, I doubt that I'm going to see TRF2 machines around here any time soon. I know I haven't seen one yet.

[this message was edited by Spoon on Tue 24 May 02:58]

exodus
2672th Post

"Re(2):rumblefish 2" , posted Tue 24 May 02:59post reply

from what you describe, not everything has been cleaned up. But the characters are a bit more balanced (that one aikido girl is still pretty dominant though), and I find that there's a lot more intuitive countering ability than I find in a lot of other games. I can't speak to the music, it was too loud in there. But the characters all animated pretty well, and everyone seemed to have their own unique qualities. Like there's that Aran character...at first I thought he would be really hard to use, but then some guy came up to the controls and dominated everyone with it. Characters seem to have a good mix of moves, and it's a very 'powerful' game, in that matches move pretty fast if you know what you're doing - attacks take off lots of damage.

I didn't really have a chance to get into the system fully, but I get the impression that this game is really good for the more casual hardcore, like myself.

Iggy
6549th Post

"Re(3):rumblefish 2" , posted Tue 24 May 03:07post reply

I got into the PS2 port of TRF1 a little, and it has that Capcom feeling in it. Not in terms of quality, in terms of "OK, the sprites are done, in the sequel we'll make a good game out of them".
I like Boyd, Sheryl, and more than any other Orville tan.

The big problem is that a few weeks later, I bough the Vampire collection, and I was remembered what a GOOD fighting game was.
I haven't touched TRF1 since then.

ねんがんの ネ申ゲーをてにいれたぞ!

Spoon
997th Post

"Re(4):rumblefish 2" , posted Tue 24 May 03:15post reply

quote:
The big problem is that a few weeks later, I bough the Vampire collection, and I was remembered what a GOOD fighting game was.
I haven't touched TRF1 since then.

This sentiment is pervasive. I don't play TRF because it's a good game, but because it's something new that's... decent, I guess.

In TRF1, probably the best characters in the arcade are Garnet and Aran, and likely in that order. Aran has some mixups in his chain combo but... you really don't need them. Just keep them locked down with chain xx fireball, dash in... and then when they get guard crushed, do the standard chain xx QCB+LP chain, and then do a meaty fireball to keep them pinned. Aran is really not hard to use, and he has tons of tools.

One thing I do like is that combo damage is mad scaled when you have d.LK in the combo.

I do like the game's emphasis on normals, even if it seems rather shallow at times.

I do like the air recovery game, which reminds me of SFA3... only now with the very cute Quick Recovery and air chains.

BTW, has the crazy long invulnerability of DPs been toned down in TRF2?

exodus
2673th Post

"Re(5):rumblefish 2" , posted Tue 24 May 05:23post reply

quote:

BTW, has the crazy long invulnerability of DPs been toned down in TRF2?

uh....well I hardly played the first, so I can't say if it's been toned down. It seems a bit long, but not totally insane - maybe my perspective is messed up though.

I dunno...maybe I'm too starved for a new fighter, but it's better than another capcom re-release or a SNK rehash to me. Maybe NGBC will change my mind, but yeah. Oh and I've never really liked GG. I just want a new Asuka game! agh!

sklathill
161th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(5):rumblefish 2" , posted Tue 24 May 08:30post reply

It did seem pretty long, the dp invulnerability. I was using Kaya's DP to great effect against both the computer and Brandon. :)

And Beatrice is more than pretty frigging cheap. Pure evil.

The Temptation of Wheat is upon us!
---
www.insertcredit.com

exodus
2675th Post

"Re(6):rumblefish 2" , posted Tue 24 May 08:34post reply

quote:

And Beatrice is more than pretty frigging cheap. Pure evil.

our forum is still messed up.

Oh and we should write a review/preview of this game, eh?

sabo10
1157th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member+

"Re(7):rumblefish 2" , posted Tue 24 May 17:32:post reply

Aran is broken in this game :(

The character/groove that has Custom Combos is _always_ broken in any fighting game.

Moreover, he can start any combo off of his quick, Gouki-style overhead chop. That's nuts!!! Generally, in fighting games, you can never do anything after the standing overhead attack!

It's so fast too, I can't react to it :(. It basically means if Aran approaches you while blocking, he can either throw a low kick, or his overhead punch, and have a 50% chance of starting a combo, during which he can basically do anything.

Brandon, I'd appreciate it if you would post some Mito combos. Especially her jump-in/hop-dodge-in combos.

I think j.SK, s.LK will combo, but it is difficult to do :(. I don't know if any character can combo off of a hop-dodge-in attack. There might be safeguards against that built into the game.

[this message was edited by sabo10 on Tue 24 May 17:35]

exodus
2679th Post

"Re(8):rumblefish 2" , posted Wed 25 May 01:00post reply

quote:

Brandon, I'd appreciate it if you would post some Mito combos. Especially her jump-in/hop-dodge-in combos.

I'll see what I can do...I noticed earlier that there's no good faq on these games, especially the second. Unfortunately I won't get to play TRF2 again until it comes to northern california...I was only visiting LA.

Is the general consensus on this game that it's pretty decent, but could use some improvement? I wonder if people would be interested in a US version. Also, I wonder if people would be more interested in it if it were to be cleaned up a bit. hmm.

Spoon
1000th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Re(8):rumblefish 2" , posted Wed 25 May 01:16post reply

quote:
The character/groove that has Custom Combos is _always_ broken in any fighting game.

The real question though, is whether or not something even more broken/stupid than that is in the game.

quote:

Moreover, he can start any combo off of his quick, Gouki-style overhead chop. That's nuts!!! Generally, in fighting games, you can never do anything after the standing overhead attack!

Is it still the same overhead punch from TRF? Cuz that's not SO bad... plus many other characters have (limited) combos off of overhead... Garnet's overhead was faster, but does less dmg...

quote:

There's a vid where this one Mito player literally does the same thing for 90% of the match... but since I don't know what button does what for Mito, I can't tell you what it is. It looked like jumping downward multi-slash, ground chain xx multislash (xx super if metered). It did really good damage and looked really easy to do. From time to time he'd stick out this far-reaching horizontal poke while in the air to keep the other guy away.

quote:

I think j.SK, s.LK will combo, but it is difficult to do :(. I don't know if any character can combo off of a hop-dodge-in attack. There might be safeguards against that built into the game.

Comboing off jump-ins is really funny even in TRF1. It's like... the buttons don't respond or something for a moment when you land. It's really weird. Pretty much everyone except for maybe Orville can combo off small jump attack in TRF1, but it's not easy unless it's either distanced properly or meaty (think UOH in 3S, but not quite as hard).

Bata kun
2623th Post

"Re(9):rumblefish 2" , posted Wed 25 May 05:02post reply

quote:
Unfortunately I won't get to play TRF2 again until it comes to northern california...I was only visiting LA.

I should talk to the guy up in Sunnyvale to see if he can get it.

sabo10
1157th Post

"Re(10):rumblefish 2" , posted Wed 25 May 16:37post reply

I like the game because I have really bad manual dexterity. Inputting commands in this game is very loose and slow.

That means, however, that basically any player can do vicious stuff once they have the first hit connected, including stopping combos midway through if it is disadvantageous to continue.

In games like 3s, it is much harder to even do stuff like comboing a super off of a connected low short, much less stopping that combo halfway through if they are blocking.

Even wakeups are easier to do in TRF2. Just bang out the DP motion any time while your character is standing up, and the move will come out during their first invincible "reversal" frame. After playing TRF2 for awhile I went back to playing 3s, and it was so frustering. TRF2 had already made me so lazy about timing that I couldn't even do a shoryuken wakeup anymore.

The whole game moves kind of slow too. It seems that it is meant to deemphasize dexterity/reaction and emphasize tactics. I really like it because of this.

Impact break timing is still hard though .

Fugo
73th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(8):rumblefish 2" , posted Wed 25 May 17:09post reply

quote:

ST Ryu can link stuff after the overhead
in 3s there are plenty of post-overhead combos (the most vicious being Dudley's by far)

3rd Strike rulez ;)

sabo10
1158th Post

"Re(9):rumblefish 2" , posted Wed 25 May 17:21post reply

quote:

ST Ryu can link stuff after the overhead
in 3s there are plenty of post-overhead combos (the most vicious being Dudley's by far)

- "You have no dignity."

- "NNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooo!"

Chupiler
908th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):rumblefish 2" , posted Thu 26 May 03:36post reply

quote:
I like the game because I have really bad manual dexterity. Inputting commands in this game is very loose and slow.

That means, however, that basically any player can do vicious stuff once they have the first hit connected, including stopping combos midway through if it is disadvantageous to continue.

In games like 3s, it is much harder to even do stuff like comboing a super off of a connected low short, much less stopping that combo halfway through if they are blocking.

Even wakeups are easier to do in TRF2. Just bang out the DP motion any time while your character is standing up, and the move will come out during their first invincible "reversal" frame. After playing TRF2 for awhile I went back to playing 3s, and it was so frustering. TRF2 had already made me so lazy about timing that I couldn't even do a shoryuken wakeup anymore.

The whole game moves kind of slow too. It seems that it is meant to deemphasize dexterity/reaction and emphasize tactics. I really like it because of this.

Impact break timing is still hard though .

Yeah, the game is all about IBing. I'm really glad there's other people who are liking that game; just wish there's more people playing at AI on a regular basis...

くぁwせdrftgyふじこlp;

exodus
2688th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):rumblefish 2" , posted Thu 26 May 04:04post reply

were you at AI on saturday? You might've seen me, if so!

Chupiler
909th Post

"Re(4):Re(10):rumblefish 2" , posted Fri 27 May 03:43post reply

quote:
were you at AI on saturday? You might've seen me, if so!

No, I was too sick to go on the weekend...

くぁwせdrftgyふじこlp;

sabo10
1162th Post

"Re(5):Re(10):rumblefish 2" , posted Thu 2 Jun 00:58:post reply

Something I just learned about TRF2 that might help some people:

In order to Impact Break mid-height attacks (that is, attacks which can be blocked standing or crouching) you must be stand-blocking when you press the Defense button.

If you try to Impract Break a mid-height attack while crouch-blocking, it will fizzle UO style.

I have no idea why it is like this. Probably another stupid attempt to get people to stop crouch blocking all the time in fighting games like the ridiculous crouching damage penalty in 3s. In multi hit attacks though, you can still stand up mid-attack before you Impact Break the last hit.

[this message was edited by sabo10 on Thu 2 Jun 01:01]

Shin_ATproof
1185th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):rumblefish 2" , posted Thu 2 Jun 14:57post reply

quote:
just wish there's more people playing at AI on a regular basis...

I like AI and I love TRF2(as well as SS0Sp and VF4FT) but not enough to go on a regular basis. Its a bit of a drive for my friends and I and we only seem to go as a group, lol.

Sí mon con langosta y camarón

sabo10
1164th Post

"Re(5):rumblefish 2" , posted Sun 5 Jun 00:03:post reply

quote:
One thing I do like is that combo damage is mad scaled when you have d.LK in the combo.

I just noticed this today too. I'm not sure if it applies to all moves, but it sure scales any Critical Art damage.

A combo that starts with a weak attack and ends with a Critical Art will do much less damage than just a CA out of the blue.

This explains why sometimes Kaya's CA seems so ferocious. I think it does nearly 100% if nothing precedes it.

From what I've seen, right now the most used characters seem to be Mito, Aran, and Kaya. However, today I played a very tough Bazoo who seemed to dominate the match with his very high priority pokes. I couldn't figure out how to get near this guy.

My proudest moment today: Hitting a whiffed dragon punch on its way down with Mito's s.HP into her Lunge OA...the guy does a mid air recovery, and I hit him with the exact same thing again. Two supers before his feet hit the ground!

I also one remember hitting some guy with Mito's overhead swipe OA, and for some reason he popped way in the air, so I hit him with the same OA again on his way down. I wish I could do that again!

I saw some dope get juggled for about 5 minutes straight in the corner by Greed's Uppercut and Power Geiser.

As a bonus, here is a picture of Mito's lunge CA:

天  罰 

((

[this message was edited by sabo10 on Sun 5 Jun 01:11]

Spoon
1034th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Re(6):rumblefish 2" , posted Sun 5 Jun 02:43:post reply

quote:

I just noticed this today too. I'm not sure if it applies to all moves, but it sure scales any Critical Art damage.

I'm gonna quote myself from a post I made somewhere long ago. It was about Zen, and I don't know how well it applies to TRF2.

The damage reduction from having certain normals in combos is intense:
e.g.
LP, SP, SK xx AA, SP, SK xx QCB+LP = 114 dmg

d+LK, SP, SK xx AA, SP, SK xx QCB+LP = 114 dmg
LK, SP, SK xx AA, SP, SK xx QCB+LP = 147 dmg

SP, SK xx AA, SP, SK xx QCB+LP = 149 dmg
LK, SP, SK xx AA, LK, SP, SK xx QCB+LP = 146 dmg

Note the difference between starting the combo with LP over LK, the fact that NOT starting the combo with a light attack gives the most damage, and that starting with d+LK (or stadning LP) results in the loss of a BIG chunk of damage. Also note that the most damaging combo of this bunch is the one that contains no light attacks and has the least hits, even though all of the combos contain the same number of strong attacks and the same combo ender. Lastly, I would advise against doing the last one, since Zen's AA has such short range; unless you're point blank, most of the time you will whiff part of the combo if you're trying to land both of those LKs. You are better off doing just one LK, or none, damage-wise. That said, I have no idea how much stun any of these do, or if there's any difference.

However, for most characters, starting with a d.LK is a good idea since they're easier to land. I'd say so for Zen, too, except for his crappy short range AA. Actually landing the combo counts!

If you just want hits, a long and simple combo is:
chain xx QCB+LP xx OA

But that does less damage than:
SP, SK xx AA, SP, SK, QCB+LP

That said, the OA brings them to the corner, and you get a pretty much free DP+SP, SP "juggle" (in quotes because they can quick recovery from the last hit of the OA, but the DP will hit them anyway).

However,
SP, SK xx QCB+LP xx CA
does hefty damage.

Unlike almost every other character in the game, Zen can combo into his DA. If it hits them OTG, it counts for like 1 point of dmg. Seriously. If it is a normal ground hit or juggle, it does like... 10? Not much, but it looks cool. If you counter hit them straight off with DA, you can easily juggle them with OA, but then, you could also probably just do walk up juggle SP, SK xx QCB+LP.

General note:
in TRF1, air chains are very useful. You can do jump-ins MUCH earlier than normal and still be totally safe on block or hit just by doing the air chain as you come down. Against Orville, some characters can get near him, then jump TOWARDS him and do air chain GOING UP and then do random stuff. In air-to-air business, air chains are good because if you get a clean hit, you can do the chain for a bunch of extra dmg, and if it gets blocked, continue the chain anyway and you'll probably land first, after which you can do walk up ground normal juggle.

With Zen, if they air block your air chain, you can often land first, then do walk up SP, SK xx QCB+LP. Reminds me of the air-to-air hurricane kick business in SFA1, where if they air block your hurricane kick, you can land first and get a free d.RH. This trick is EASY to do in SFA1, and got nerfed in all the later SFA games.

Guard break kekekekeke

[this message was edited by Spoon on Sun 5 Jun 02:44]