Original message (4228 Views )

Sensenic
1297th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Castlevanias" , posted Mon 23 May 17:14post reply

Dungeon linky[/url
Dawn of Sorrow new video and shots

Still lookin' good, yes. That snowy town is cool. I'm even growing accostumed to the animeish charas. Looking for the anime intro now.

As for Curse of Darkness, you got one gameplay trailer on gametrailers.com, and still looking rather ugly. Too bad.

So adorable... Gluttony

Nihon mo ingenmame wo tsukurimasu Jan

Replies:

Daala
1009th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Re(1):Castlevanias" , posted Mon 23 May 21:21post reply

Is it a law that they have to change the game play system on all the castlevania games....ahrg!

Other then my small issue, the games look great.

Sensenic
1299th Post

"Re(2):Castlevanias" , posted Tue 31 May 17:11post reply

Anime intro trailer found at gametrailers.com.

Naisu ne?
quote:
Is it a law that they have to change the game play system on all the castlevania games....ahrg!

Well, as I see it, DoS will keep the same gameplay style as AoS, with only those touchy screen minor thingies added.

Za Peepaa Yomiko chan!

My philosophy professor was a flan Myself

exodus
2701th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(3):Castlevanias" , posted Wed 1 Jun 01:29post reply

quote:

Well, as I see it, DoS will keep the same gameplay style as AoS, with only those touchy screen minor thingies added.

yeah. It's really nice, I can't wait!!

Mosquiton
1631th Post

Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(4):Castlevanias" , posted Wed 1 Jun 01:50post reply

quote:

The demo was quite cool... you acquire new weapons/powers/stuff at an amazing rate.

I barely played the thing and I had a sword, dagger, mace, great sword, spear, thrown axe, summon zombie, slow fall, bat familiar, floating knight torso, strength up, unholy strength up, and a bitchin' tunic.

If you like the exploration stuff-getting/level-upping style of Castlevania I don't think it could possibly do you wrong.

/ / /

Maou
656th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(5):Castlevanias" , posted Wed 1 Jun 02:03post reply

Yeah, I even had a dream about it recently for no apparent reason despite not having looked at pictures of it forever, so I'll take it as a sign. Now if only they'd get around to re-releasing Akumajou Dracula X on the Chronicles series...

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

tenguman
193th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(6):Castlevanias" , posted Wed 1 Jun 02:06post reply

quote:
Yeah, I even had a dream about it recently for no apparent reason despite not having looked at pictures of it forever, so I'll take it as a sign. Now if only they'd get around to re-releasing Akumajou Dracula X on the Chronicles series...

You mean Chi no Rondo?

「この世に悪があるとすれば、それは人の心だ。」

Radish
2884th Post

"Re(4):Castlevanias" , posted Wed 1 Jun 02:09:post reply

quote:

After 3 GBA Castlevanias that really were quite similar I'm starting to get bored of the current paradigm. Does this one do anything different other than the obvious graphical updates and DS gimmicks?

quote:

You mean Chi no Rondo?

Dangit, I remember watching the IGA interview that came with Chronicles where he heavily alludes to a Rondo of Blood rerelease. I guess that's never coming out but at least I know it's not the OMG SUPER BEST GAME EVAR it's rumored to be after playing Rugal's copy a few years ago. I'd still love it released outside Japan, but it's not quite as painful once you realize it has a lot of hype going for it.

[this message was edited by Radish on Wed 1 Jun 02:15]

Maou
658th Post

"Re(5):Castlevanias" , posted Wed 1 Jun 02:19post reply

Oh, of course Rondo of Blood isn't the greatest game ever made or anything, but on the other hand I'll be damned if I break out a creaky old PC Engine Duo just to play the thing, either...given that it frequently sells and appears at used game shops in Japan -and- that Konami obnoxiously tried to block ROMs, there's no reason not to release it (not even market reasons). And I do miss straight up 2D platforming epics like SFC Akumajou (CV4 US), despite how great this new game and PSX Dracula X are/were.

Rid
6654th Post

"Re(1):Castlevanias" , posted Wed 1 Jun 02:23post reply

Poor Soma, the anime style ruined his bishounen-ness...

At this rate, this is how he'll look in the next Castlevania: http://www.planearium2.de/bilder/avas-games-08.jpg

Kikkoken
881th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(2):Castlevanias" , posted Wed 1 Jun 03:09post reply

Call me an old hat, but I'm nostalgic for the low-arching frog-jumps of the NES/MSX/arcade Castlevanias. They made the slightest jump a stressful entreprise, the games often demanding divine precision to just land on a platform and avoid a medusa head. I loved that arcade feel to the game.

Red Falcon
5464th Post

"Re(5):Castlevanias" , posted Wed 1 Jun 04:17post reply

quote:
I guess that's never coming out but at least I know it's not the OMG SUPER BEST GAME EVAR it's rumored to be after playing Rugal's copy a few years ago. I'd still love it released outside Japan, but it's not quite as painful once you realize it has a lot of hype going for it.

Indeed! As I said at the time, it isn't even my favorite, I like 3 and X68000 more.. but that doesn't mean it isn't a great game, anyway. Sigh, I wish they'd make another Akumajo game in the classic style...

Best site EVER:Link Here

exodus
2702th Post

"Re(5):Castlevanias" , posted Wed 1 Jun 04:37post reply

quote:

After 3 GBA Castlevanias that really were quite similar I'm starting to get bored of the current paradigm. Does this one do anything different other than the obvious graphical updates and DS gimmicks?

Well, it's debatable as to whether the 3 gba ones were so similar, as the first two didn't have any kind of search for weapons.

The main difference is that you have two attacks with each weapon, and also as I recall, it has the two-handed system from SotN again. The environments are so much nicer, that's the main thing for me. The snow environment I've seen really feels like you're running from rooftop to rooftop in a city...it's quite cool.

Other than that and the stylus stuff, not much is new, but what else can you really do but refine, with a series like that? Other than bring it to 3D, but we know how well that works.

Ishmael
2032th Post

"Re(3):Castlevanias" , posted Wed 1 Jun 04:46post reply

quote:
Call me an old hat, but I'm nostalgic for the low-arching frog-jumps of the NES/MSX/arcade Castlevanias. They made the slightest jump a stressful entreprise, the games often demanding divine precision to just land on a platform and avoid a medusa head. I loved that arcade feel to the game.

I'm not sure what it was about a number of games that came out during that period that featured lots of platform jumping and characters who could barely jump. I found that sort of thing amazingly frustrating back then and -seeing as how I'm not as young as I used to be and should start to avoid things that make my blood pressure shoot through the roof- I'm certain I would never touch a new game that featured play mechanics like that.

That said, it is a bit of a shame that the Castlevania games have changed to the point that they don't have a lot in common with the start ot the series. If Konami had split CS off into different sub-series so that both the original style of game and the more exploration/RPG style of the recent efforts could co-exist I don't think it would have hurt the series at all.

Maou
660th Post

"Re(6):Castlevanias" , posted Wed 1 Jun 04:54post reply

quote:
As I said at the time, it isn't even my favorite, I like 3 and X68000 more..

Red Falcon and Radish, I can understand it as a natural reaction to develop an aversion to a sought-after Japan-only game after Americans go crazy after it (see the Seiken Densetsu 3 case for similar hype), though on the other hand the design seems rather cool to me, a great solid Dracula that should be re-released. I do regret never playing Akumajou Densetsu/CV3, it was before my time I guess, but I'd love a remake. Given how strapped they are for stories so that Dracula still only appears every 100 years, I'd think they should try their hand at the legendary Akumajou Densetsu.

And as for you liking X68000 better...you have impressed me with your skills and desire for punishment!! I also loved the Chronicle remake's music remixes for Vampire Killer and Simon Belmondo (last level), though arrange was easy. But....
Beating the game on original version difficultly mode required me to channel every single platforming skill from my SFC/Mega Drive youth. The eyes of the elders must have been watching over, or else I never could have killed Medusa or Death (WOW, that laboratory level was nuts). Mmm, this -does- make me miss the old Draculas, too.

Radish
2885th Post

"Re(7):Castlevanias" , posted Wed 1 Jun 05:20post reply

quote:
As I said at the time, it isn't even my favorite, I like 3 and X68000 more..

Red Falcon and Radish, I can understand it as a natural reaction to develop an aversion to a sought-after Japan-only game after Americans go crazy after it (see the Seiken Densetsu 3 case for similar hype), though on the other hand the design seems rather cool to me, a great solid Dracula that should be re-released. I do regret never playing Akumajou Densetsu/CV3, it was before my time I guess, but I'd love a remake. Given how strapped they are for stories so that Dracula still only appears every 100 years, I'd think they should try their hand at the legendary Akumajou Densetsu.

And as for you liking X68000 better...you have impressed me with your skills and desire for punishment!! I also loved the Chronicle remake's music remixes for Vampire Killer and Simon Belmondo (last level), though arrange was easy. But....
Beating the game on original version difficultly mode required me to channel every single platforming skill from my SFC/Mega Drive youth. The eyes of the elders must have been watching over, or else I never could have killed Medusa or Death (WOW, that laboratory level was nuts). Mmm, this -does- make me miss the old Draculas, too.

Oh, don't get me wrong; I want the game and had a good time for what I played. I would love to find a copy someday and run through the entire thing. It's just that if you haven't played it and hear the hype, you get a different impression of what it's about.

And thanks for the impression Exodus. By the 3rd GBA Castlevania I really felt like I was playing through the same castle, just with different characters using different weapons. This sounds like they've added enough to make it fresh while still keeping its core 2D gameplay.

Sensenic
1302th Post

"Re(4):Castlevanias" , posted Wed 1 Jun 06:06:post reply

quote:
Sigh, I wish they'd make another Akumajo game in the classic style...

Have you tried Lament of Innocence? I know it didn't do very well, I'm not advertising it either, but supposedly it was trying to mix the new style Castlevanias (exploration, lotsa items, etc.) while recovering some of the old, like more straight-action-oriented, no leveling up, etc. Maybe you'd enjoy it. Or maybe not.
quote:
That said, it is a bit of a shame that the Castlevania games have changed to the point that they don't have a lot in common with the start ot the series. If Konami had split CS off into different sub-series so that both the original style of game and the more exploration/RPG style of the recent efforts could co-exist I don't think it would have hurt the series at all.

Well, it's true that the series has split in two now, but it's not that much.
I mean, you have LoI which tries to merge classic CVs with new CVs. You have Vampire Killer, which had exploration elements, and specially Castlevania 2, the second "classic" game, which already had the free exploration, the weapon upgrading, and was (apparently) insultingly easy too. People generally complain that for SOTN they copied Metroid, but, as I see it, that's not true. CV2 was there first, and for SOTN they just added the good ideas from (Super) Metroid, that is, gameplay area being not so linear but more bidimiensional, and the automap. Then added the RPG elements and that was it. No?
quote:
The environments are so much nicer, that's the main thing for me. The snow environment I've seen really feels like you're running from rooftop to rooftop in a city...it's quite cool.

Yes! Agree.
quote:
Other than that and the stylus stuff, not much is new, but what else can you really do but refine, with a series like that? Other than bring it to 3D, but we know how well that works

Well, that's Curse of Darkness for you, or at least that's their idea. The truth is that, after seeing the videos (from gametrailers), it doesn't look as bad to me. Certainly the graphic engine is old and bland as hell, but the stages look less empty (altho' still... but the forest and the village look better than what was shown till now) and the gameplay seems to be good enough. Dunno.

EDIT: Italicness.

Za Peepaa Yomiko chan!

My philosophy professor was a flan Myself

[this message was edited by Sensenic on Wed 1 Jun 06:09]

deisied
337th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(3):Castlevanias" , posted Wed 1 Jun 06:36post reply

quote:
Naisu ne?

No. Not really. Take a stab at animating Kojima's style and we'll be approaching nice. Until then we have a 1992 Working Designs intro cut in half, with no context to actually have it feel charming in. It's Castlevania, that just looked silly.

Red Falcon
5465th Post

"Re(7):Castlevanias" , posted Wed 1 Jun 09:13post reply

quote:
Red Falcon and Radish, I can understand it as a natural reaction to develop an aversion to a sought-after Japan-only game after Americans go crazy after it (see the Seiken Densetsu 3 case for similar hype
Oh, I don't have an aversion to it; I mean, I shelled out for it (I = the Rugal Radish was talking about) it's just that I don't think it's as amazing as people say; I think that's largely people who have it trying to play it up to make others drool (I feel the same way about Radiant. It's good, but I like other shooters just as much... my favorite is still Dogyuun, which is a shooter NOBODY cares about)

Anyway, I feel a new video challenge coming on.. I'll actually have time to do that Contra: Hard Corps no deaths playthrough I talked about before soon; I should do a "no death" Rondo of Blood playthrough, too. Only one hard part in the whole game, the "classic boss rush" Shaft throws at you.

Best site EVER:Link Here

Maou
662th Post

"Re(8):Castlevanias" , posted Wed 1 Jun 11:18post reply

quote:
(I = the Rugal Radish was talking about)
Anyway, I feel a new video challenge coming on..

But of course, your secret (?) identity as Rugal is secret no more! +10000 points for a deathless X68000 original mode completion, but I'm pretty sure it's impossible. Most levels, even level 8, are doable, but I can't seeing someone surviving Medusa's tower or Death's laboratory without getting killed, somehow. But what sweet masochistic pain to try....

Meanwhile, animation-style Dracula is a shame in this case since it's a sequel to a Kojima-illustrated game, but it's easy for me to remember when Dracula had really ridiculous art before her nice touch. The copy of the (Japanese) SFC Akumajou is hilarious.

Sano
1801th Post

Silver Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(3):Castlevanias" , posted Wed 1 Jun 14:00post reply

quote:
Anime intro trailer found at gametrailers.com.

The Anime Intro was nice but I think they kind of forgot that it's supposed to be a horror game and not a fighting game.

Ryu and Chun-Li forever!

Abster
61th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(1):Castlevanias" , posted Wed 1 Jun 14:11:post reply

I'm loving how DoS is shaping up to be. If a 2 button weapon system does exist I bet it will include shields and the shield rod. All in all I think it looks amazing. I don't mind the anime intro that much because it makes sense given the game takes place in Japan, though I liked the AoS drawings better.

CoD on the other hand I'm not sure about. They're trying to put RPG elements into it like the other games but I don't like how it looks so far.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v311/Abster316/dedication3.gif [Image Attached]

There's no substitution to dedication

[this message was edited by Abster on Wed 1 Jun 14:16]

Sano
1803th Post

Silver Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(2):Castlevanias" , posted Wed 1 Jun 14:56:post reply

I'm kind of tired of the latest handheld run of Castlevania games and all of their easy bosses and Dracula who you can beat in two tries. Didn't care much of Lammont of Innocence either, too short, ackward camera and you don't fight a certain somebody... I'm looking forward to the PS2 game since it's supposed to feature a character from Castlevania 3 but not Alucard. Come oooon Grant Dynasty, "Grant Dynasty, granted the nastiest pirate who ever sailed the seven seas!" or so he used to say in the Castlevania Anime in my head back in the day that didn't have Kamehameha/Hadoukens... I'm hoping that the third time's the charm and they get Castlevania right in 3D finally.

Anyone reading the US Castlevania comic book? It's okay at best.

Ryu and Chun-Li forever!

[this message was edited by Sano on Wed 1 Jun 15:12]

Spoon
1027th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Re(3):Castlevanias" , posted Wed 1 Jun 15:57post reply

SotN was unfortunately far too well-received... so much so that we will likely never again see a new Castlevania made in the style of the pre-SotN/CnR/whatever.

It's not like the Metroid-modeled Castlevania games have been bad... but I miss the style of Castlevania 3 and 4, 4 especially.

HAYATO
396th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(3):Castlevanias" , posted Wed 1 Jun 16:54post reply

I'm not going to complain about having a new 2D, Metroid style Castlevania, as I love the concept and I haven't got tired of it yet, but I miss those classic,linear Castlevanias ("Super Castlevania 4" and "Rondo" specially) so hard...

What saddens me is the fact that both styles could be succesfully merged in case Konami worried a little about its game series. Just imagine a new game based on Castlevania 4's premise : The current Belmont (Simon) must endure a hell of a trip through forests, graveyards, and some ruined villages before getting to the castle...so one just needs to replace the linear castle levels for a smaller but harder, Metroid style one (well, I wouldn't mind getting a SoTN sized castle, but the game could get a bit tiring for some people in the end...). I think this could make the game more entertaining, and even more coherent : after so many Castlevanias where the Belmonts had to suffer such a journey to the castle, now Konami shows us just the last part of the plot, introducing the characters at Castle's gates...why spoiling us the fun of the trip?

quote:

Anyone reading the US Castlevania comic book? It's okay at best.

It's utter crap. I downloaded a random issue and I felt insulted as a Castlevania fan.

Siegfried
430th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(4):Castlevanias" , posted Wed 1 Jun 20:03post reply

My friend just returned from E3 with signed copies (by IGA and Michiru Yamane) of Aria of Sorrow and Symphony of the Night. Just felt like sharing that little bit of information with you...

----------------
Webmaster of Fighter Mania
kattuggla.oru.se/dmd01/dm0103/test/