Dimp's Yuyu fighter - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (3507 Views )

Fuchikoma
1319th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Dimp's Yuyu fighter" , posted Mon 23 May 14:51post reply

Anyone else playing Yuyu Hakushou Forever? At first glance I thought it was just a japanese port of Atari's Dark Tournament game... but it's actually a complete new game by Dimps... and unlike the Atari one it's pretty playable and fun. It's not better than Budokai 3... but the love for Yuyu is evident... from the intro from the anime completely recreated in 3d... to "next episode" clips from the show in between the matches in story mode... not to mention the story mode faithfully recreates the TV show.

There's also a couple gimmicks that make it worth playing... super attacks are similar to Narutimate Hero... but with a "simon says" twist to it. During the attack you input a button combination, and if your enemy can input the same combo in a short time window, they'll successfully block. They also added a 10 count KO deal... similar to boxing. When you run out of health you have till 10 to mash buttons and get up. There's a lot of destructable environments too... like if you shoot a raygun or whatever projectile and it misses... it'll take out a portion of the background. The ring also takes damage to the point where it can be destroyed.

Overall it's not too shabby... still too stiff and shallow to compete with the big boys... but definitely one of Dimp's better showings.

Replies:

Iggy
6548th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(1):Dimp's Yuyu fighter" , posted Mon 23 May 16:48post reply

Are there really the 12 or so characters they show on the official site, or have they added more ?
Because this is the kind of games where it's better to have dozens of similar characters over a few distinctive ones.

ねんがんの ネ申ゲーをてにいれたぞ!

Phoenix
792th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(2):Dimp's Yuyu fighter" , posted Mon 23 May 16:58post reply

Has this game been announced for US? I've been waiting for the sequal to Dark Tournament so this Dimps news really interests me.

Fuchikoma
1320th Post

"Re(2):Dimp's Yuyu fighter" , posted Mon 23 May 17:06post reply

quote:
Are there really the 12 or so characters they show on the official site, or have they added more ?
Because this is the kind of games where it's better to have dozens of similar characters over a few distinctive ones.

There's 20 slots on the select screen... so far I've only cleared up through the dark tournament story arch... which gets you the Toguro team and 3 other guys from the other teams... the wind shinobi guy... the mohawk guy... and the Ukyo looking guy with the sword.

Also it seems that Yusuke has a different VA... but everyone else sounds like the original actors.

Fuchikoma
1321th Post

"US version seems slim" , posted Wed 25 May 10:09post reply

I don't think there will be a US version of this game... currently one is not announced. Yuyu Forever covers the entire series... and in the US the show is only up the end of the Sensui arch. Then again Bandai is doing a US port of One Piece Grand Battle Rush and they're just removing the Skypeia characters and everyone who hasn't appeared in the US version of One Piece so far.

It seems all the other unlockable characters are from the Makai arch. Sensui is unlockable, but he doesn't have a story arch... you get him by completing one of Gen Kai's training exercises. I also figured out that some characters have transformations like the Budokai series... it's indicated on their portrait with a red kanji if they can transform... Yoko Kurama... 100% Toguro... Bui with no armor... Blonde Karasu... Young Gen Kai... etc. It's kind of pointless though since fights are easily won without waiting until your spirit and rage gauges are completely full to transform.

Anyway when the story mode is over... there's really not much to replay. It's off to play Namco X Capcom for me now.

Juan
4163th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(1):US version seems slim" , posted Wed 25 May 13:48post reply

high seas piracy!

quote:
It's off to play Namco X Capcom for me now.

Fuchikoma
1322th Post

"Namco X Capcom impressions" , posted Wed 25 May 17:29post reply

quote:
high seas piracy!

Lol... I hadn't noticed the release date isn't for another day or two. Well after spending a couple hours on NXC... I can say that I am completely underwhelmed. Boy does that game get boring fast... you have this wonderful high energy intro that looks like it was done by the FLCL staff and this beautiful artwork we've seen from the Soul Calibur artist... but when you play the game itself, it's rather dull.

There's really no thought to it... you just go into a fight with a series of attacks using the O button and different directions. I can see one of the key things is the ability to customize moves and build combos... but the options for this are definitely not import friendly. There's also a huge amount of dialogue... thankfully most of it is voice acted for the illiterates such as myself.

The fights are just boring and repetitive though... I guess I'd be more interested if I knew more of these Namco guys... I have no clue what the hell a Kurino is... and the game has been rather light on the Capcom so far. I've only seen Chun-li and the Bison Dolls in the first 2 stages of the game so far. I will say the music is absolutely excellent though... really great remixes that are instantly recognizable as soon as they play. If an English version of this comes out... I'll play it through... but for now I'm more interested in the possible OST and Artbooks than the game itself.