Resident Evil 4 PS2 - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (2021 Views )

Time Mage
2132th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Resident Evil 4 PS2" , posted Thu 19 May 18:09post reply

After seeing the trailer at gametrailers.com (God bless this site), it looks like not only it's virtually identical to the GC version, but it also has much more scenes involving Ada. I'm not very happy for my cute little GC, but on the other side, I have to congratulate the Capcom guys that did the conversion, it's a really good job. Maybe they've hidden the most problematic scenes from the trailer, but anyway, what was displayed looked really good.
I might ask a friend to lend me this version if the added scenes are interesting enough.

Replies:

Iggy
6528th Post

"Re(1):Resident Evil 4 PS2" , posted Thu 19 May 18:22post reply

Ugh ? I haven't saved the pictures, but someone took a PS2 version picture, then nearly the exact same situation in his GC version, and the PS2 one looked awfull...
I'll try to find those again, but I had the feeling people who played the GC version were extremely deceived by the PS2 port ?

ねんがんの ネ申ゲーをてにいれたぞ!

Time Mage
2133th Post

"Re(2):Resident Evil 4 PS2" , posted Thu 19 May 18:35post reply

quote:
Ugh ? I haven't saved the pictures, but someone took a PS2 version picture, then nearly the exact same situation in his GC version, and the PS2 one looked awfull...
I'll try to find those again, but I had the feeling people who played the GC version were extremely deceived by the PS2 port ?

I've viewed some images and the only differences I could find were some minor jaggies and maybe slightly poorer textures.
However, the video seemed practically identical to the GC game, really, both in resolution, animation, and details. And I'm quite a Nintendo fan, but I'm not the type who blinds himself after a clear evidence.

Has anyone that played the GC version also seen this trailer?

JJWE
476th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(3):Resident Evil 4 PS2" , posted Thu 19 May 18:52post reply

I'll have to agree with Iggy, the pictures that I've seen haven't looked anywhere near the GC version's quality. But then again, I haven't played the game (yet) and I am somewhat of a Nintendo monkey at times, so my opinion is of little importance right now. But my first reaction was indeed "ugh".

--- http://ngmc.retrogames.com

Fuchikoma
1316th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(4):Resident Evil 4 PS2" , posted Thu 19 May 20:01post reply

Yeah I saw the trailer on G4 during their Pre-E3 show on monday... and it's WAAAY better than I had expected. From what they showed it looked damn near the Gamecube version... just the characters looked like a lower poly count and the texture might have been a lower resolution... but I didn't feel like it was really lacking anything. Of course they didn't show any scenes where there's a bunch of on screen enemies... which is probably where the PS2 version will chug. Since I don't own a cube, I'll definitely be picking this one up... I loved the GCN version the few times I've gotten to play it.

burning kyo
2297th Post

"Re(2):Resident Evil 4 PS2" , posted Fri 20 May 02:24post reply

quote:

Totally agree with Iggy on this.
Just take a look at Leon's leather jacket and to all the ganados with a fuckin' straw hat to hide their facial expressions ...

[welcome to the devil's nest]

Time Mage
2136th Post

"Re(3):Resident Evil 4 PS2" , posted Fri 20 May 03:17post reply

Well, I've seen some more photos, and one specially was really bad: When Leon jumps out of the mine cart, the rocks at the bottom of the pit looked ugly and pixelated, like a PSX Tomb Raider (exaggerating). So maybe, as I suspected, the video only showed the better done parts of the conversion. Still, not that bad in most cases.

Baines
75th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(4):Resident Evil 4 PS2" , posted Fri 20 May 10:40post reply

quote:
I'll have to agree with Iggy, the pictures that I've seen haven't looked anywhere near the GC version's quality.

I haven't seen the video, but I've had no trouble telling the still shots apart from the GC version.

Undead Fred
2381th Post

"Re(5):Resident Evil 4 PS2" , posted Fri 20 May 11:15post reply

Does anyone have any links to any of these screens? I've been curious to see how it's looking on PS2.

Ammadeau
1366th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(6):Resident Evil 4 PS2" , posted Fri 20 May 11:59post reply

It looks... well, like a PS2 game. Significantly worse than the GC version, but it's still just as playable.

Unlike Killer 7, which is garbage.

Ammadeau.net - My own personal waste of time.

Baines
76th Post

Occasional Customer

"Resident Evil 4 PS2 & Killer 7" , posted Fri 20 May 14:21post reply

quote:
It looks... well, like a PS2 game. Significantly worse than the GC version, but it's still just as playable.

It looks like it can still handle a decent number of Ganado active at once. No idea if the enemy behavior has been modified, but I'd be a little surprised if they sacrificed one of the non-graphical selling points of the game. No idea on slowdown until it comes out, as they'd likely pick video that didn't suffer. Still, yeah, it looks like it will be as playable. Though I wonder if the graphical downgrade will affect things like sniping without a rifle.

quote:
Unlike Killer 7, which is garbage.

The PS2 version of Killer 7 is garbage, or all versions of Killer 7 are garbage?

legalstep
102th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(6):Resident Evil 4 PS2" , posted Sat 21 May 03:30post reply

The screens look like crap. Maybe this game has to be seen in motion to appreciate it.

Daala
1008th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Re(7):Resident Evil 4 PS2" , posted Sat 21 May 03:37post reply

Maybe its just me, it doesn't look all that better then GC version. I'll have to rent it when it comes out, just to try it out.