Dead or Alive 4 Xbox 360 screens - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (1596 Views )

Riskbreaker
277th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Copper Customer

"Dead or Alive 4 Xbox 360 screens" , posted Thu 12 May 23:56post reply

It really does not look like a next generation title at all.

http://img117.echo.cx/img117/8308/12050516083610big0iz.jpg

http://images.hosteol.com/news/120505160744_6big.jpg

http://images.hosteol.com/news/120505160920_12big.jpg

http://www.elotrolado.net/showthrea...threadid=414837

Replies:

beto
874th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(1):Dead or Alive 4 Xbox 360 screens" , posted Fri 13 May 00:04post reply

Didnīt expect Lisa to be a wrestler.

The background in the Jan-Lee pic looks wonderful.

Ishmael
1998th Post

Gold Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(1):Dead or Alive 4 Xbox 360 screens" , posted Fri 13 May 00:10post reply

quote:
http://img117.echo.cx/img117/8308/12050516083610big0iz.jpg

What is going on with Hitomi's non-kicking foot?

beto
875th Post

"Re(1):Dead or Alive 4 Xbox 360 screens" , posted Fri 13 May 00:29post reply

Are there more pics in the thread (i ask because i saw a fourth pic somewher else)? Can you fix the link?

NeoRyu
1050th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Re(1):Dead or Alive 4 Xbox 360 screens" , posted Fri 13 May 00:41post reply

I kind of feel let down. I bet it's launch title too. I guess I still get a xbox 360, to play a DOA that looks non next-gen.

Fuu is a cutie!!

beto
879th Post

"Re(2):Dead or Alive 4 Xbox 360 screens" , posted Fri 13 May 00:52:post reply

people are saying those are pics from the xbox1 version (remember that itagaki said team ninja still would release two games for xbox1?).

the game will be on both consoles, according to rumor.

EDIT: and there are 15 pics. the new characters are really cool (monkey style!). see them all here:

http://www.xboxyde.com/news_1483_fr.html

this site says itīs from the 360 version... well, the clothes and backgrounds do have more detail than DOAU...

letīs wait and see.

[this message was edited by beto on Fri 13 May 01:29]

legalstep
99th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(3):Dead or Alive 4 Xbox 360 screens" , posted Fri 13 May 01:13post reply

I'm not to shocked that the next generation would just be a prettier version of same one. Way to prematurely upgrade Microsoft.

NeoRyu
1051th Post

"Re(4):Dead or Alive 4 Xbox 360 screens" , posted Fri 13 May 01:19post reply

2 different versions of it, thats dumb imo.

It's seems there my be a graphical stopping point in video games in the next few years. But I could be wrong.

quote:
I'm not to shocked that the next generation would just be a prettier version of same one. Way to prematurely upgrade Microsoft.

Fuu is a cutie!!

Burning Ranger
1196th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member+

"Re(1):Dead or Alive 4 Xbox 360 screens" , posted Fri 13 May 01:23post reply

quote:
It really does not look like a next generation title at all.

You people expected an update? I personally wasn't surprised. Look at the evolution between DOA2 and DOA3-- there isn't much that can be stylistically done to the game. The characters, for the most part, will look the same. The only differences I see are the backgrounds, which look a little better. Think of it this way: I think DOA4 would lose some of DOA's traditional style if it went Photorealistic. It's kinda like porting an anime series to live action: something of the original is always lost in the translation.

Advanced Cyborg E. Branger AKA Burning Ranger

"The war is over the fight is just beginning..."

kurushimi
56th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(3):Dead or Alive 4 Xbox 360 screens" , posted Fri 13 May 02:22post reply

quote:

EDIT: and there are 15 pics. the new characters are really cool (monkey style!). see them all here:

http://www.xboxyde.com/news_1483_fr.html

this site says itīs from the 360 version... well, the clothes and backgrounds do have more detail than DOAU...

letīs wait and see.

I don't know if this makes it any more concrete, but on that page, the 3rd pic in the 2nd row, in the background you can see the words "Xenon Launch". Remember that the codename for Xbox360 was Xenon.

And yes, the increase in the detail to the clothes is apparent, but I think they've basically hit a plateau with the characters. DOA has always gone for the anime/doll-like look, love it or hate it, and there's only so much you can do with CPU power to improve it. So, the obvious next step would be to focus on the environments, have more going on in the background while you're fighting.

Personally, and this is something I would like carried over to all next-gen games, is to focus on character expressions. It's a small thing, but I think it would add a lot to the experience to have fighters use different expressions and mannerisms when they're doing their moves or whatnot.

Fuchikoma
1281th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"360 or Xenon?" , posted Fri 13 May 02:22post reply

Look at the picture with Lisa standing on the top rope... the display in the background says "Congratulations on the Xenon launch" That leads me to believe this is for the next gen X-box... but I'll chime in and say that characters models look like they have about the same poly count as the DOAU models. Also apparently Fabio is now a playable character...

Gojira
1705th Post

Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(1):360 or Xenon?" , posted Fri 13 May 03:22post reply

I'm disappointed but not surprised by how much like DoA3 it looks. I've already accepted that we're approaching a point in graphics where 1) greater detail starts to become indiscernable to the naked eye without something blatant to showcase it, and 2) capability of hardware begins to far exceed the human capability of art and style. This one falls more under the latter excuse, I think.

Off with your nose

Dr Baghead
3428th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(2):Dead or Alive 4 Xbox 360 screens" , posted Fri 13 May 03:23post reply

quote:
I guess I still get a xbox 360, to play a DOA that looks non next-gen.

It looks pretty next gen to me... Look at the texturing on "Fabio" or Christie's (YAY! Christie's finally back) pants in middle and right pictures in the row second from the bottom, that's something XBox1 can't do (by contrast look at the Leather texturing in Ninja Gaiden, it's only that nice in the cut scenes.)

The background are obviously something XBox1 couldn't (the wrestling ring especially with all those light sources and the cheering crowd)... but speaking of the backgrounds, I'd gladly play a 'non-next gen' looking DOA on the XBox360 if it meant they used the extra memory and power so I could play tag-team in ANY stage, not just the boring ones.

Or maybe they didn't go for broke graphically so they could focus putting unlockable costumes in the game AND making it fun to play... neither's gonna happen (or how would they make money off booster disc and 'DoA3Ultimate:now with features we should have put in DoA4'), but let's pretend!

Random:
-Why the hell is Lisa a luchadore? I like Lisa in DoAX, I like lucha libre, but strangely the combination of the two leaves me confused and unhappy.

-Is the character wearing the blue and white costume in the stage with monkeys a chick or a dude? I seriously can't tell, it LOOKS feminine, but this is a Japanese game based on Japanese comic style artwork so for all I know it could be just a very pretty man. (but hey, if it's a chick that makes two revealed so far, new team for DoAX2! now they just need one more and Racheal)

-I like Christie's new costume (and she has purple lipstick which looks really cool)... but what's with the Ninja Gaiden-esque armor on it? (it's got 'demon jaw bones' on the knees) I can't figure out any real reason for it other then they couldn't think of any other way to accessorize her.

Blanka and Dan make for a most excellent tag image (yeah still not funny)

crazymike
1113th Post

"Re(3):Dead or Alive 4 Xbox 360 screens" , posted Fri 13 May 03:42post reply

Personally I think it looks great, they appear to be like moving action figures to me. However, I predict the gameplay will be pretty much the same.

Pollyanna
1100th Post

"Re(4):Dead or Alive 4 Xbox 360 screens" , posted Fri 13 May 05:11post reply

The renders look cheap to me. I mean, they look like so many PC games with mediocre renders that are covered up by high resolution shinyness. The backgrounds don't look "better" they just have "more". This is probably, because...realistically, you can only put so much work into something and I'm sure they were unwilling to take the risk to go for a new graphical style.

However, if the gameplay is interesting enough and it looks better IN MOTION than DOA3/Ultimate, I'll be satisfied. I'm not expecting that, though.

Mosquiton
1621th Post

Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(5):Dead or Alive 4 Xbox 360 screens" , posted Fri 13 May 08:27post reply

Obviously this isn't the best that 360 can do... but...

With all these early announcements and leaks, Microsoft is probably going to feel pretty dumb when Sony shows them up at E3.

That's my prediction.

/ / /

Saiki
169th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(6):Dead or Alive 4 Xbox 360 screens" , posted Fri 13 May 08:36:post reply

The texture on the clothing and the backgrounds look quite good really
I guess I'm gonna have to buy a Xbox360 now

But when I saw the new female character, I kinda thought that the other new character would be a sumo wrester.
Since DOA3 kinda went in the same line of new characters as VF2. I thought DOA4 would go with VF3

[this message was edited by Saiki on Fri 13 May 09:11]

Nate
537th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(7):Dead or Alive 4 Xbox 360 screens" , posted Fri 13 May 09:10post reply

Yes! Another female character with the same exact face as all the other female DOA characters! Awesome!

Kimono girl, you're not fooling anybody.

ワンダフル! ビューティフル! エキサイティング!

Dr Baghead
3429th Post

"Re(7):Dead or Alive 4 Xbox 360 screens" , posted Fri 13 May 09:22post reply

quote:
But when I saw the new female character, I kinda thought that the other new character would be a sumo wrester.

Maybe Lisa's a sumo... given how strange her costume design is that would almost be logical!

Pollyanna
1103th Post

"Re(8):Dead or Alive 4 Xbox 360 screens" , posted Fri 13 May 10:04post reply

quote:
Yes! Another female character with the same exact face as all the other female DOA characters! Awesome!

Kimono girl, you're not fooling anybody.

Hahaha...well, I get your point, but I have to disagree a bit, because Kasumi's face makes me angry, but Hitomi and Lei Fang's faces don't. I can't tell you what's different, I can only gauge anger.

Nate
538th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(9):Dead or Alive 4 Xbox 360 screens" , posted Fri 13 May 10:13post reply

quote:

Hahaha...well, I get your point, but I have to disagree a bit, because Kasumi's face makes me angry, but Hitomi and Lei Fang's faces don't. I can't tell you what's different, I can only gauge anger.

To tell you the truth, I do see some difference, especially between Lei Fang and the others for some reason, but most of the girls are still waaaaay too same-y. It's as if all that's needed to create a new girl is changing her hair a little and maybe her skin tone.

ワンダフル! ビューティフル! エキサイティング!

Undead Fred
2364th Post

"Re(8):Dead or Alive 4 Xbox 360 screens" , posted Fri 13 May 10:14post reply

I'm all for getting DOA4 in a few years (whenever I end up getting this stupid NEXTBox LOL Edition), and I'm not expecting much more than what I'm seeing so far graphically... it fits perfectly with the "DOA style" and it looks pretty. And I'm also not expecting serious overhauls to the gameplay, either. It looks good so far. All I really want in a DOA is more characters, costumes, and some new moves. It's like what I expected out of going from Street Fighter Alpha to Alpha 2 and then 3. There is growth, but each sequel isn't some berserk rebuilding of the whole game from the ground up (and I'm totally fine with that).

NOW, what does disappoint me is that DOA4's looking like masturbation material for those gimps that think graphics make a game (just like special effects make a movie). I can't fully blame DOA for that... they've pretty much always been about flashy graphics with fun characters and cool outfits. But I can blame the system it's on for jumping the gun with this new console generation and feeding that "looks over substance" mindset.

I like this quote from this article- "Iwata prefaced that statement with the warning that 'better technology is good, but it's not enough. Today's consoles already offer photo-realistic expression, and simply beefing up those graphics will not make much of a difference.'"

Too bad it came from Nintendo, but it's very true.

ZamIAm
1521th Post

"Re(3):Dead or Alive 4 Xbox 360 screens" , posted Fri 13 May 11:57post reply

quote:
Random:
-Why the hell is Lisa a luchadore? I like Lisa in DoAX, I like lucha libre, but strangely the combination of the two leaves me confused and unhappy.

I think it is due to the number of people who assumed she'd be capoeira they wanted to throw fans a curve.

They're outsourcing Elmo and putting Cookie Monster on a diet...WHAT IS THE WORLD COMING TO?!?

GekigangerV
1092th Post

"Re(4):Dead or Alive 4 Xbox 360 screens" , posted Fri 13 May 12:09post reply

I am not much of a DOA fan, but those backgrounds do look nice.

What I really want to know is if these were accompanied by any outrageous Itagaki. Those always give me a good laugh.

Dr Baghead
3432th Post

"Re(4):Dead or Alive 4 Xbox 360 screens" , posted Fri 13 May 12:36post reply

quote:
I think it is due to the number of people who assumed she'd be capoeira they wanted to throw fans a curve.

Makes sense, I guess making her something as random as a luchadore is better the giving her a sterotyped style kickboxing, boxing, or capoeria... but still they couldn't make her use Akido or dragon style or Tae Kwan Do or something different that's not so bizarre?

KTallguy
612th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(5):Dead or Alive 4 Xbox 360 screens" , posted Fri 13 May 12:42post reply

Backgrounds look yummy. I like the Sakura Blossoms. I also like the 'out of focus' effect...

Lets see some next-gen GAMEPLAY! (What is next-gen gameplay...? Does anyone even know/care?)

"手前がやくぶそくなんだよ!"

Tai-Pan
6th Post

New Customer

"Re(6):Dead or Alive 4 Xbox 360 screens" , posted Fri 13 May 13:08post reply

quote:
Backgrounds look yummy. I like the Sakura Blossoms. I also like the 'out of focus' effect...

Lets see some next-gen GAMEPLAY! (What is next-gen gameplay...? Does anyone even know/care?)

Next-gen Gameplay...MWAHAHAHAHAHA!!

hayaku!!

Maou
626th Post

"Re(7):Dead or Alive 4 Xbox 360 screens" , posted Fri 13 May 13:19post reply

quote:

Next-gen Gameplay...MWAHAHAHAHAHA!!

Yah, exactly. The Dead or Alive that came out with PS2's US launch was hardly any revolution, but had some pretty graphics going for it. Come to think of it, it's odd, but Dreamcast is the last system I can think of that had GOOD games at launch (Soul Calibur, really). Remember when amazing (at the time) launch titles were a requirement? Super Mario World, Mario 64, Toshinden, Sonic... It seems like the latest systems took at least a year to actually get some good stuff going for 'em, so it may take a while on this new Xbox, eh?

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

Saiki
170th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(5):Dead or Alive 4 Xbox 360 screens" , posted Fri 13 May 13:46post reply

quote:

Makes sense, I guess making her something as random as a luchadore is better the giving her a sterotyped style kickboxing, boxing, or capoeria... but still they couldn't make her use Akido or dragon style or Tae Kwan Do or something different that's not so bizarre?

But from the looks of it, the new kimono girl is Aikido/Aiki-jujutsu so I doubt they could've made Lisa's style Aikido
I think Luchadore is cool for her

Dr Baghead
3434th Post

"LUUUUCHAAAARAAAAN!!!!!!!!" , posted Fri 13 May 13:55post reply

quote:
But from the looks of it, the new kimono girl is Aikido/Aiki-jujutsu so I doubt they could've made Lisa's style Aikido

They should make the kimono girl boxing! Mess with stereotypes yo!

I guess wrestling would work for Lisa, I just hope she has an unmasked costume or the very least one that's not pearlized pink and retarded looking like that.

Undead Fred
2368th Post

"Re(5):Dead or Alive 4 Xbox 360 screens" , posted Fri 13 May 14:44post reply

quote:

Ah, Lisa's latino, eh? I'm so used to seeing her in swimsuits that it'll be pretty different seeing her in full luchadore costume. I was kind of hoping she wouldn't be a wrestler (I thought Tina and Bass were enough), but it's still pretty interesting.

Heh heh... man, I need to watch Airmaster again.

Saiki
171th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(6):Dead or Alive 4 Xbox 360 screens" , posted Fri 13 May 14:51post reply

quote:
Ah, Lisa's latino, eh? I'm so used to seeing her in swimsuits that it'll be pretty different seeing her in full luchadore costume. I was kind of hoping she wouldn't be a wrestler (I thought Tina and Bass were enough), but it's still pretty interesting.

Errrr......Lisa is Zack's sister

Dr Baghead
3435th Post

"Re(7):Dead or Alive 4 Xbox 360 screens" , posted Fri 13 May 14:57post reply

quote:
Errrr......Lisa is Zack's sister

Says who?

(seriously, all I've heard about her offically is "she's Tina friend and your default partner, you need to play as her to give other girls the V-suits and Venus." I've never heard she was Zack's sister)

Digitalboy
191th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(1):Dead or Alive 4 Xbox 360 screens" , posted Fri 13 May 17:25post reply

I will buy this game and then I will eventually get an Xbox 360 after the price goes down.

Undead Fred
2369th Post

"Re(2):Dead or Alive 4 Xbox 360 screens" , posted Fri 13 May 17:30post reply

quote:
I will buy this game and then I will eventually get an Xbox 360 after the price goes down.

Heh heh heh. I couldn't imagine buying a game and let it sit around unopened for a year or so before getting the console it goes on...

NARUTO
3038th Post

"Re(3):Dead or Alive 4 Xbox 360 screens" , posted Fri 13 May 17:39post reply

Well being a non-xbox player, I should says those interest me. Even if the characters aren't that magnificent (they've reached VF4 quality, at last!) the backgroud look impresives...

Will they try an arcade release?

We are all mad at some point....

deisied
323th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(4):Dead or Alive 4 Xbox 360 screens" , posted Fri 13 May 18:50post reply

I heard this is DOAU engine simply on X360 hardware, so I dunno.

At any rate, no launch has been rid of titles that look like what we've seen before, either with PC technology, or some really shiny last generation games, I mean, besides those line-2d, 2d-3d transitions. Point is, "OH NO THIS IS ALL THE 360 IS(!?)" is silly, while at the same time, yeah, another Xbox churned out this quick is also pretty silly.

Digitalboy
192th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(3):Dead or Alive 4 Xbox 360 screens" , posted Fri 13 May 21:29post reply

quote:
Heh heh heh. I couldn't imagine buying a game and let it sit around unopened for a year or so before getting the console it goes on...

What can I say? I am fiscally retentive (cheap bastard).

kurushimi
57th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(4):Dead or Alive 4 Xbox 360 screens" , posted Sat 14 May 04:40post reply

quote:

Actually, there's no point in buying the game first either because it's bound to go into the platinum line, or whatever name they choose to give to their $19.99 titles for the Xbox360.

If you're going to be fiscally retentive best to do it all the way ^_^

digitalboy
193th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(5):Dead or Alive 4 Xbox 360 screens" , posted Sat 14 May 05:02post reply

quote:

Actually, there's no point in buying the game first either because it's bound to go into the platinum line, or whatever name they choose to give to their $19.99 titles for the Xbox360.

If you're going to be fiscally retentive best to do it all the way ^_^

Touché! You have a very good point. Therefore I will be the cheapest bastard that you will ever seen or heard of. I will die trying if it will EVER comes down to it.

EddyT
480th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(6):Dead or Alive 4 Xbox 360 screens" , posted Sat 14 May 08:16post reply

It's kind of ironic how the DOA series, which has been hailed as graphically impressive for any home system it has come out for (even DOAU) is now being looked upon as "same old crap" with these new XBox 360 pics.

Personally, I am also surprised that the characters don't seem to look much better and the backgrounds seem marginally better than what it would look like on XBox 1. Although I would like Tecmo to keep that anime-like look (compared to the really horrid CG-intro renderings for DOAXBV), I'm sure you can make the characters much better looking still. I wouldn't be surprised if Team Ninja totally retools this game. I don't see this new DOA game coming out until around this time next year, considering Team Ninja's track record.

Baines
70th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(7):Dead or Alive 4 Xbox 360 screens" , posted Sat 14 May 12:04post reply

quote:
Personally, I am also surprised that the characters don't seem to look much better and the backgrounds seem marginally better than what it would look like on XBox 1.

I'm not particularly surprised, and don't expect any major shift.

For one thing, as Microsoft loves to state, Xbox360 is entering the HD era of gaming. While current gen games have had some HD support, it hasn't really been the focus. HD means a much higher resolution to cater to, which requires more resources and power to fill. Anyone who has fiddled with screen resolution for PC game performance has experienced the impact.

For another, there is a diminishing return on polygonal detail. It has possibly been made even worse as more tricks (like bump mapping, volume mapping, etc) have come into play to simulate higher detail models on lower poly counts.

More tricks as well as simply more talent means developers can cut the poly count of a model without sacrificing detail except at edges (where you can notice a sphere is made of flat edges or a face isn't shaped right) or from extremely attentive eyes. But there isn't so much to be gained from more polys, at least in a still shot.

You could probably shave a few thousand polys off of the model of Leon from RE4 and only someone who paid attention might notice. (Drop a few objects, simplify a few others, and cut back on the hair animation.) Hair and clothing animation in particular can devour polys with only "minor" visual improvement (which you mainly notice when you compare to something without such detail).

ZamIAm
1522th Post

"Re(1):LUUUUCHAAAARAAAAN!!!!!!!!" , posted Sat 14 May 12:06post reply

quote:

They should make the kimono girl boxing! Mess with stereotypes yo!

I guess wrestling would work for Lisa, I just hope she has an unmasked costume or the very least one that's not pearlized pink and retarded looking like that.

I agree, that outfit is gaudy. And is it just me, or are her hips wider than her breasts? Before you ask, I'm asking specifically due to the way alot of the DOA girls are designed (more top heavy) and the way a number of black girls are portrayed.

They're outsourcing Elmo and putting Cookie Monster on a diet...WHAT IS THE WORLD COMING TO?!?

Mosquiton
1622th Post

"proportions" , posted Sat 14 May 12:56post reply

Does Lisa got the butt?
What?
Hell yeah!

quote:
... is it just me, or are her hips wider than her breasts? Before you ask, I'm asking specifically due to the way alot of the DOA girls are designed (more top heavy) and the way a number of black girls are portrayed.

I think it might just be you, but I don't quite understand your complaint regarding proportions...

When a girl walks in with an itty bitty waist, and a round thing in your face, are you not sprung?

I don't see it honestly, but I really wanted to allude to Sir Mixalot.

/ / /

Dr Baghead
3437th Post

"the Flea cannot feel the Flea's legs!!!" , posted Sat 14 May 14:25post reply

oh... here they are next to the Flea!

quote:
And is it just me, or are her hips wider than her breasts? Before you ask, I'm asking specifically due to the way alot of the DOA girls are designed (more top heavy) and the way a number of black girls are portrayed.

I think it's optical illusion caused by her uh... 'skirty-type-thing'or whatever you want to call it, it puffs out a bit but looks form fitting, and the tassles sorta hide her legs a bit. it gives the illusion of wider hips then she actually has.

She looks to have the same proportions as she did in DoAX... which is to say the same generic body type all the other girls have.

Juke Joint Jezebel
3397th Post

"Re(6):Dead or Alive 4 Xbox 360 screens" , posted Sun 15 May 06:42post reply

quote:

PEOPLE FROM MEXICO EAT MORE THAN JUST TACOS

kurushimi
60th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(7):Dead or Alive 4 Xbox 360 screens" , posted Sun 15 May 06:56post reply

quote:

PEOPLE FROM MEXICO EAT MORE THAN JUST TACOS

Yea man, give burritos some love too.

Lucha!

Undead Fred
2377th Post

"Re(2):LUUUUCHAAAARAAAAN!!!!!!!!" , posted Mon 16 May 07:43post reply

quote:
I agree, that outfit is gaudy. And is it just me, or are her hips wider than her breasts? Before you ask, I'm asking specifically due to the way alot of the DOA girls are designed (more top heavy) and the way a number of black girls are portrayed.

Nope, she's still built like she was in DOAXVB. Keep in mind that her torso's turned in the larger picture, and you can get a better idea from seeing her standing on the ropes. And I've got nothing against her outfit, really... if she's a latino luchadore, then I'd expect the outfit to be a LITTLE flashy.

And by the way, this game really is SO stereotypical. What are they trying to say, all girls have huge boobs and know martial arts? That's just WRONG. >:(

ZamIAm
1526th Post

"Re(1):proportions" , posted Tue 17 May 11:33post reply

quote:
... is it just me, or are her hips wider than her breasts? Before you ask, I'm asking specifically due to the way alot of the DOA girls are designed (more top heavy) and the way a number of black girls are portrayed.

I think it might just be you, but I don't quite understand your complaint regarding proportions...

When a girl walks in with an itty bitty waist, and a round thing in your face, are you not sprung?

I don't see it honestly, but I really wanted to allude to Sir Mixalot.

I wasn't actually complaining but a second look shows that it is just the skirt thingy and not her hips. There are differences in the DOA girls' figures but not much. Lisa would have been a chance of more variance but they dropped the ball.

Baines
72th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(3):LUUUUCHAAAARAAAAN!!!!!!!!" , posted Tue 17 May 15:53post reply

quote:
And by the way, this game really is SO stereotypical. What are they trying to say, all girls have huge boobs and know martial arts? That's just WRONG. >:(

No, they are saying all girls that know martial arts have huge boobs. Like in the WWE.

Gojira
1713th Post

"Re(4):LUUUUCHAAAARAAAAN!!!!!!!!" , posted Tue 17 May 18:50post reply

Finally saw the E3 trailer, after much codec and playback screwing (man that thing is too big)

First it seems Lisa (if that IS Lisa) actually does use some capoeira mixed in, as she did do a few standard kicks. For lucha she did a moonsault, a neck-swing headscissors and some other stuff that Team Ninja probably thought was cutting edge but nothing I haven't seen before.

I have no idea what kimono girl is doing. I guess it's aikido but the way she waves her arms around doesn't seem like it. At any rate her moves don't have much impact. As for Blondie, it's a guy. A boy in fact, with typical neutered male voice. Well I guess it was only a matter of time before one appeared in DoA.

So far the only actually new things I've seen is Kasumi doing a wall run, Lisa hopping off the ring's top rope and Bass getting pummeled by a car. The clothes and hair physics are nice and all, and the stages are big I guess, but it's basically the DoAU engine upgraded. Oh well.

Off with your nose

GekigangerV
1099th Post

"Itagaki speaks." , posted Sat 21 May 07:52:post reply

http://www.1up.com/do/feature?pager.offset=0&cId=3140575

Talks about new characters, story, levels. I especially like his thoughts on online play in today's age.

I just watched the E3 trailer, the graphics are GREAT BTW, and I noticed not only does that Kokoro character have the same fighting style as VF's Akira she has a move similar to the Stun Palm of Doom(SPoD for short).

[this message was edited by GekigangerV on Sat 21 May 07:58]

Evenor
192th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(1):Itagaki speaks." , posted Sat 21 May 08:25post reply

quote:
TI: Sorry, I might have been drunk when I told you this, but it's 108 monkeys, not 103

Hahaha

Oh Itagaki....*swoons*

肝臓入りのオレンジジュース!
腎臓混じりの甘口カレー!
膵臓仕込みのペスカトーレ!
愛しの愛しのサイコホラー

Dr Baghead
3451th Post

"Re(1):Itagaki speaks." , posted Sat 21 May 08:36post reply

So I guess Gen-Fu's been replaced by a little boy? that seemed to be what the article suggest.

KTallguy
625th Post

"Re(2):Itagaki speaks." , posted Sat 21 May 09:31post reply

Quoted From the Article:

" 1UP: How will these things affect the gameplay?

TI: If you take away beauty from video games, what do you have left? "

Oh, I dunno, gameplay? Shocking concept isn't it?

Proud Supporter of Next Generation GAMEPLAY
"テメエがヤクブソクなんだよ!"

Dr Baghead
3452th Post

"Re(3):Itagaki speaks." , posted Sat 21 May 10:08post reply

quote:
Quoted From the Article:

" 1UP: How will these things affect the gameplay?

TI: If you take away beauty from video games, what do you have left? "

Oh, I dunno, gameplay? Shocking concept isn't it?

Well I guess that means I give up any hope of this game actually being any fun to play, after all it's pretty so that should be all I need even if it is insanely tedious and down right boring.

I wonder when MK7 comes out, it's as deep as a kiddy pool and just as ugly but at least MK:D was a blast to play unlike DoAU.

Fuchikoma
1317th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"possibly not 360 exclusive" , posted Sat 21 May 13:30post reply

It was mentioned on the E3 wrap up shown on G4 today that Itagaki had said that DOA 4 isn't locked to the 360. Could the PS3 launch see an upgraded DOA with more costumes and an extra character or two? ..... we'll see.

Gojira
1720th Post

"Re(1):possibly not 360 exclusive" , posted Sat 21 May 15:18post reply

quote:
It was mentioned on the E3 wrap up shown on G4 today that Itagaki had said that DOA 4 isn't locked to the 360. Could the PS3 launch see an upgraded DOA with more costumes and an extra character or two? ..... we'll see.

Well we know from history that Itadaki has to go with the strongest specs no matter what. Just because that happened to be Xbox for a while doesn't mean it has to stay that way in the next generation.

Off with your nose

EddyT
486th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(2):possibly not 360 exclusive" , posted Sun 22 May 01:10post reply

quote:

Well we know from history that Itadaki has to go with the strongest specs no matter what. Just because that happened to be Xbox for a while doesn't mean it has to stay that way in the next generation.

I agree. With both the PS3 and the 360 impressive graphically, I would not be surprised if Team Ninja started to develop their games for Sony once again. Even when Itagaki publicly complained about Sony in the past.

I don't think Nintendo has a shot to get any of Tecmo's titles, though.

Dr Baghead
3453th Post

"Re(3):possibly not 360 exclusive" , posted Sun 22 May 03:30post reply

quote:
Even when Itagaki publicly complained about Sony in the past.

Itagaki says a lot of dumb shit.

Sure sometimes it's logical (Tekken IS a piece of shit... sure DoA is just as bad but still) but most of the time it's him just ranting and saying things he didn't think out... the best example being the "without graphics what's left in a game?!" (in the case of DoAX a reall boring menu system)

Even though he's been really anti-Sony in lately I don't doubt he'll just ramble off more double talk to cover that "Well I used to think it was best to focus on system and use it to it's maxmium... but now maybe I see it's best to allow for two version to allow the subtle contrast to really allow people to enjoy the game on different levels!"

"IN THE YEAR 2000!!!!"
Team Ninja will release no fewer then 10 versions of DoA4: US 360 launch, Japanese 360 launch, Europe 360 launch, US PS3 launch, US 360 upgrade, Europe PS3 launch, Europe 360 upgrade, Japanese PS3 (upgraded from Europe 360's upgrade), Japanese 360 upgrade... and of course DoA4 ultimate will come out on the XBox4000 and PS4

quote:
I don't think Nintendo has a shot to get any of Tecmo's titles, though.

Which is a pitty... maybe Team Ninja doesn't suit them, but Monster Rancher would be great... release a DS version with a link-up and you can use the touch screen to pet your monster when it's good or beat your monster when it's being mean.

Baines
77th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(4):possibly not 360 exclusive" , posted Sun 22 May 08:21post reply

quote:
Itagaki says a lot of dumb shit.

Sure sometimes it's logical (Tekken IS a piece of shit... sure DoA is just as bad but still) but most of the time it's him just ranting and saying things he didn't think out... the best example being the "without graphics what's left in a game?!" (in the case of DoAX a reall boring menu system)

Itagaki says controversial things, and even the non-controversial stuff is twisted by people who want to think he said something out there.

Like the "without graphics" comment, which as I read it was his way of saying that DOA4 would have (at least in his mind) solid gameplay to go with the graphics. But which plenty of others have taken as Itagaki saying gameplay doesn't matter as long as the graphics are pretty.

Dr Baghead
3454th Post

"Re(5):possibly not 360 exclusive" , posted Sun 22 May 09:32post reply

quote:
Itagaki says controversial things, and even the non-controversial stuff is twisted by people who want to think he said something out there.

I doubt it's twisted THAT much... and if it is he probably doesn't care since he likes to present himself as a 'rock star of the gaming world' and rock stars say things that make people "He said WHAT?!" and "OH NO HE DIDN'T!!!"

if he doesn't want his words twisted he should think a little before he talks and make sure the pharsing is correct. Like say "Tekken is a good game, but compared to DoA3 it is nothing!" or "what is a game without graphics? Why a text driven on-line RPG! Ha-haaa, but seriously, without graphics a game must stand alone on it's gameplay and I believe DoA4 does so"... I've seen interviews with game developers who say stuff like that so you can only blame so much on the translators, I've never seen a Nintendo interview saying "Digimon is a piece of shit"

quote:
Like the "without graphics" comment, which as I read it was his way of saying that DOA4 would have (at least in his mind) solid gameplay to go with the graphics. But which plenty of others have taken as Itagaki saying gameplay doesn't matter as long as the graphics are pretty.

I know he probably meant that, which is why I used DoAX in the example of his not thinking before spoke: he may say "well DoA4 could look like shit and still be fun to play" but take away the graphics from DoAX and what do you have? A menu driven pong... not very fun.

A better example of double speek from the comment might be the fact DoA3/U/X/Ninja Gaiden are XBox exclusives because they look prettiest on the Xbox... if he really didn't put that much importance in graphics wouldn't the PS2 (if not the PS2 AND GCN) have gotten some love? After all it might not look as nice on the PS2 and might even be missing a stage or two, but if it's the same basic game should that really matter?

Baines
78th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(6):possibly not 360 exclusive" , posted Sun 22 May 17:03post reply

quote:
I doubt it's twisted THAT much...

I've seen some boards descend onto an Itagaki interview like hungry wolves, tearing it apart for any line that they can claim is Itagaki being insane or incompetent (particularly if he happens to mention Tekken anywhere in the interview.)

quote:
if he doesn't want his words twisted he should think a little before he talks and make sure the pharsing is correct.

It's a personality thing. What some people consider tact, others consider bull and lying. Being blunt isn't a reason for people to be forgiven for twisting your words, though it may be the reason why they actually do it.

quote:
"...without graphics a game must stand alone on it's gameplay and I believe DoA4 does so"...

He doesn't really hide that he believes DoA has great gameplay. I might be wrong, but I think earlier in the "without graphics" interview he had already mentioned his belief in the quality of DOA.

quote:
if he really didn't put that much importance in graphics wouldn't the PS2 (if not the PS2 AND GCN) have gotten some love?

He does put importance in graphics, and has said as much before. I notice Sega likes to create new hardware specifically for Virtua Fighter releases every now and then as well, with big updates in graphics. Namco puts quite a bit of focus there as well.

The biggest difference is that Sega is willing to sacrifice graphics in a home port, and with the PS2 releases were willing to sacrifice in favor of being on the widest release system. Namco is tied to Sony with Tekken, and apparently is willing to be bought off in regards to Soul Calibur 3. Itagaki currently just wants to release on the platform that does the best job of what he wants.

He's done the multi-platform thing before with DOA, and people had issues then as well. He might do it again with DOA4, depending on whether Sony actually delivers on his power promises with the PS3. (If I were a developer looking specifically for the most powerful system, I sure would be wary about believing Sony performance promises.)

quote:
After all it might not look as nice on the PS2 and might even be missing a stage or two, but if it's the same basic game should that really matter?

It can. Why should he be slighted for not porting the DOA series to the PS2, if the Xbox version is what he wanted? If someone wants to play the game, they can buy an Xbox. He's certainly put enough games on the system if you are an Itagaki fan.

I wouldn't fault Capcom if they hadn't decided to port RE4 to the PS2. (I have faulted them for how they handled the news of the port though.) They certainly put a lot of RE games on the Cube, and the system isn't even expensive anymore.

(I'd also believe DOA would see the PS2 before the GC, despite the GC being the better choice for it graphically.)