Could it be Sparking! time? - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (3390 Views )

Shingo The One
513th Post

user profileedit/delete message

New Red Carpet Member

"Could it be Sparking! time?" , posted Fri 6 May 14:08post reply

Hey guys, you won't believe this, but finally there will be a fighting game with 60 FIGHTERS!!!And, guess what, it's a manga/anime based fighting game.It's Dragonball Z Sparking!
See for yourself:
ps2.ign.com/articles/610/610219p1.html

There is a difference between doing it FIRST and doing it RIGHT.

Replies:

Digitalboy
186th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(1):Could it be Sparking! time?" , posted Fri 6 May 14:15:post reply

quote:
Hey guys, you won't believe this, but finally there will be a fighting game with 60 FIGHTERS!!!And, guess what, it's a manga/anime based fighting game.It's Dragonball Z Sparking!
See for yourself:
ps2.ign.com/articles/610/610219p1.html

(Sarcasm alert) Welcome to five minutes ago. :p

On a serious note, will it be any good?

Edit: I forgot to type ":p" :p

[this message was edited by Digitalboy on Fri 6 May 14:16]

Pollyanna
1088th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Re(2):Could it be Sparking! time?" , posted Fri 6 May 18:07post reply

You know, I'm probably the last person who's opinion counts in anything DBZ, but I had a "Budokai 3 experience" last week.

I had never played the game, partially because I think DBZ is one of the worst anime I've ever seen.I won't try to be a "DBZ sucks" snot though, because I admit that I love the last two volumes of the manga and the soundtrack the TV series BLOWS MY MIND with its awesomeness.

That being said, I asked a friend of mine if the game was any good, and he had a copy of a hacked Japanese version that had the music from the show put into the game.

My god, it was great. I don't think Budokai 3 is a great fighting game, but it's a FUN game and it's the best anime game I've ever played...but only if it has the music from the show. I don't care how good the real soundtrack is. If you replaced the GGX(X) soundtrack with awesome dance music, it wouldn't be GGX(X). As far as I'm concerned, DBZ isn't DBZ without insane orchestra-ish music.

Anyway, my point is, I wonder if they can possibly top (hacked) Budokai 3. It had every bit of fan service anyone could ever hope for (SO many good ideas!)...and even though I only have a tiny twig of love for DB, floating in a sea of dissatisfaction, that was enough to make me love the game. I can only imagine what it does for real fans.

Shingo The One
514th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Sparking! time? Probably not!" , posted Fri 6 May 19:11post reply

quote:
You know, I'm probably the last person who's opinion counts in anything DBZ, but I had a "Budokai 3 experience" last week.

I had never played the game, partially because I think DBZ is one of the worst anime I've ever seen.I won't try to be a "DBZ sucks" snot though, because I admit that I love the last two volumes of the manga and the soundtrack the TV series BLOWS MY MIND with its awesomeness.

That being said, I asked a friend of mine if the game was any good, and he had a copy of a hacked Japanese version that had the music from the show put into the game.

My god, it was great. I don't think Budokai 3 is a great fighting game, but it's a FUN game and it's the best anime game I've ever played...but only if it has the music from the show. I don't care how good the real soundtrack is. If you replaced the GGX(X) soundtrack with awesome dance music, it wouldn't be GGX(X). As far as I'm concerned, DBZ isn't DBZ without insane orchestra-ish music.

Anyway, my point is, I wonder if they can possibly top (hacked) Budokai 3. It had every bit of fan service anyone could ever hope for (SO many good ideas!)...and even though I only have a tiny twig of love for DB, floating in a sea of dissatisfaction, that was enough to make me love the game. I can only imagine what it does for real fans.

Well Digitalboy and Pollyanna, judging by the first clips of this new one, this game probably will not be better than Budokai 3.
Seriously, if you have all these cool things that this game will have and might successfully pull off, can it really be better than Budokai 3?And especially, can it get a better score than the 31/40 Weekly Famitsu has given to Budokai 3, making it undoubtedly the best fighting game on the PS2?

Mosquiton
1611th Post

Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(1):Sparking! time? Probably not!" , posted Sat 7 May 03:37post reply

Well, this game got its NA title today (Budokai Tenkaichi).

I dunno, I like Spike. They might be able to pull off a pretty decent game. Supposedly this one has some free-roaming aspect to it, which hopefully would bean you can fly around and do crazy stuff.

Also a 'custom-create' character option, although its too vague to tell if you can create original characters or just screw around with old ones.

I'm moderately interested although I admit I didn't play any of the prior Dimps-created Budokais.

/ / /

Fuchikoma
1279th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(1):Sparking! time? Probably not!" , posted Sat 7 May 07:08post reply

quote:
And especially, can it get a better score than the 31/40 Weekly Famitsu has given to Budokai 3, making it undoubtedly the best fighting game on the PS2?

Undoubtedly? uhhh Virtua Fighter 4 evo, Soul Calibur 2, Tekken 5... all of which had higher scores and are just plainly better games. There's your doubt.

Budokai 3 is a fun game... but rather shallow. Everyone has the same movelists and most of the supporting characters don't even have any unique moves. Buying capsules to add moves is a cool idea... but by the time you have enough money to buy all the capsules you want, you'll already be bored of the game.

About Sparking!... with 60 characters it'll be like Budokai... most characters will just have the same moves. Also I should note that Sparking! isn't a fighting game so really the comparison to Budokai doesn't make sense... Sparking! is based on flying and shooting in a full 3D environment... basically a Phantom Dust rip off blah blah blah I've been over this before.

Iggy
6461th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(2):Sparking! time? Probably not!" , posted Sat 7 May 07:23post reply

Dude, you're talking to Shingo the one 2005.

ねんがんの ネ申ゲーをてにいれたぞ!

Pollyanna
1089th Post

"Re(2):Sparking! time? Probably not!" , posted Sat 7 May 07:34post reply

quote:

Undoubtedly? uhhh Virtua Fighter 4 evo, Soul Calibur 2, Tekken 5... all of which had higher scores and are just plainly better games. There's your doubt.

Budokai 3 is a fun game... but rather shallow. Everyone has the same movelists and most of the supporting characters don't even have any unique moves.

I don't want to say that the games you listed are "better games" (though I'm a avid VF4 supporter), but they're undoubtedly better fighting games. There are a lot of aspects to Budokai that makes it an extraordinary license game. In considering its' worth, I think this is very important.

Budokai is, indeed, too shallow to stand on its feet as a fighting game, but the way the characters are all the same is tragically accurate. There's no variety in the fighting styles of the characters in the first place, so DBZ fits well into the generic character mold. Most players are going to be interested in seeing their favorite character in action, regardless of how they play. It's all about novelty. The only thing I don't like about systems like this is that often, all the characters are essentially the same, but some are inherently better than others.

I'm not trying to defend Budokai as a fighting game, I'm just saying that I feel like their focus on extras, fanservice and novelty (and a system that anyone can pick up) rather than character variety and depth was an effort well (and wisely) spent.

Oh, and I believe Narutimate Hero 2 got higher scores in Famitsu? (Not like it really matters) That's another good license game that can't be considered as a real fighter.

Cain Highwind
547th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(3):Sparking! time? Probably not!" , posted Sat 7 May 10:43post reply

quote:

Budokai 3 is a fun game... but rather shallow. Everyone has the same movelists and most of the supporting characters don't even have any unique moves.

I don't want to say that the games you listed are "better games" (though I'm a avid VF4 supporter), but they're undoubtedly better fighting games. There are a lot of aspects to Budokai that makes it an extraordinary license game. In considering its' worth, I think this is very important.

Budokai is, indeed, too shallow to stand on its feet as a fighting game, but the way the characters are all the same is tragically accurate. There's no variety in the fighting styles of the characters in the first place, so DBZ fits well into the generic character mold. Most players are going to be interested in seeing their favorite character in action, regardless of how they play. It's all about novelty. The only thing I don't like about systems like this is that often, all the characters are essentially the same, but some are inherently better than others.

First of all in Budokai 3 I think they did a good job in making up for this by adding the Dragon Universe and Dragon Arena modes where you can customize their stats and not to mention the Capsule Editing concept. It does make you change your strategy depending on what you eqip them with. My Hercule/Mr. Satan is a monster.

quote:
I'm not trying to defend Budokai as a fighting game, I'm just saying that I feel like their focus on extras, fanservice and novelty (and a system that anyone can pick up) rather than character variety and depth was an effort well (and wisely) spent.

In the two Dimps games I've played (Inuyasha Feudal Fairy Tale and Budokai 3), the former had really bland gameplay, but the presentation on both games was incredible, For a Pseudo 2-D fighter Inuyasha had some fast load times and some great looking backgrounds.

Reading the IGN impressions, I'm really looking forward to a DBZ game that "plays like Virtual On"

IkariDC
340th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(4):Sparking! time? Probably not!" , posted Sat 7 May 18:50post reply

quote:

THAT'S JUST AWESOME!! I'm really sorry for Kenji Yamamoto, but I find his music in the Budokai games uninteresting. Please! I want to know how I can get my hands on that hacked version!

Shingo The One
518th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(3):Sparking! time? Probably not!" , posted Sat 7 May 20:05post reply

quote:

Oh, and I believe Narutimate Hero 2 got higher scores in Famitsu? (Not like it really matters) That's another good license game that can't be considered as a real fighter.

Oh you're right Pollyanna.In fact, you just reminded me that Naruto:Narutimate Hero 2 was given 33/40.But it's ironic that in the long run, since I have that and Budokai 3, I prefer in general Budokai 3.And it's not the Japanese version.

Pollyanna
1091th Post

"Re(5):Sparking! time? Probably not!" , posted Sun 8 May 05:24post reply

quote:

THAT'S JUST AWESOME!! I'm really sorry for Kenji Yamamoto, but I find his music in the Budokai games uninteresting. Please! I want to know how I can get my hands on that hacked version!

I dunno. He picked it up from some den of thieves months ago. Since it's such a strange thing, it might be nearly impossible to get. Do you own the original? I've actually never heard the real music.

I'm really glad someone can appreciate that, though. It makes me sad every time I think that they changed the music in the English DBZ TV. They took the only good thing away from that show. It just didn't FEEL right. Even though I'm not a big fan of the Spanish VA cast (in reference to the Japanese or even English), when I saw the show in Spanish, it felt more like the real thing because they had the music at least. It creates a very...unique atmosphere.

IkariDC
341th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(6):Sparking! time? Probably not!" , posted Sun 8 May 23:42post reply

quote:

I dunno. He picked it up from some den of thieves months ago. Since it's such a strange thing, it might be nearly impossible to get. Do you own the original? I've actually never heard the real music.

No, I don't have the game... yet. You now, they're going to release a collector's edition of Budokai 3, with all the features of the japanese edition, like the voices and some more extras, and I feel like supproting it. You usually don't see this kind of releases happening. A friend own both Budokai and Budokai 2, so I know about the game's music. Kenji Yamamoto pulled off a better soundtrack in the Super Butouden series for my taste.

quote:

I'm really glad someone can appreciate that, though. It makes me sad every time I think that they changed the music in the English DBZ TV. They took the only good thing away from that show. It just didn't FEEL right. Even though I'm not a big fan of the Spanish VA cast (in reference to the Japanese or even English), when I saw the show in Spanish, it felt more like the real thing because they had the music at least. It creates a very...unique atmosphere.

Yes, the music from the show is brilliant, that's why I was stunned when you mentioned that hacked version, because the music from the games is completly different from it. I wanted to experience what would be like to play the latest game with the music from the show.

DB & DBZ (cos GT for me doesn't exist) is one of my favourits anime shows ever. It had a really big impact on me and it was the reason why I got interested in japanese manga, so I really owe a lot to it and to Akira Toriyama, and he will have my respect forever. I grew up with that show, I mean that I saw it at the right age, when it was the best thing ever. It probably wouldn't have the same impact on me if I saw it now for the first time, but who knows.

Regarding the Spanish dub, I hate it. I didn't see the show with that dub. I saw it dubbed in Euskera, the language from the Basque Country, and everyone who did see the show with that dub agrees on it's high quality. It only was bad in the episodes made for the show (not seen in the manga), where most of the characters that were never seen again had a really awful voice acting. Even the dubbed songs were great!