Rid/Offline - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (2424 Views )

Rid
6599th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Rid/Offline" , posted Mon 2 May 22:46post reply

My PC seems to be dead, it can run DOS, but as soon as you want to install Windows, protection errors start appearing, for no reason... maybe something wrong with the ram? I hope it's not the cpu or the bios :(

So I'll be offline, at least from AIM/MSN/ICQ, so the ones that tend to talk with me are advised.

Feel free to mail me at majoria_news at yahoo dot com for anything you want to say, or to send Majoria fanarts :3

Replies:

Click
583th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(1):Rid/Offline" , posted Mon 2 May 23:43post reply

Everything is a scheme

quote:
or to send Majoria fanarts :3

so he could throw that line in there.

Juke Joint Jezebel
3392th Post

"Re(1):Rid/Offline" , posted Mon 2 May 23:50post reply

hey where's your avatar from?

NeoRyu
1047th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Re(1):Rid/Offline" , posted Tue 3 May 01:00post reply

Hope you're back soon.

Fuu is a cutie!!

exodus
2619th Post

"Re(2):Rid/Offline" , posted Tue 3 May 01:01post reply

as long as you can continue to post here, I'll be happy.

deisied
318th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(2):Rid/Offline" , posted Tue 3 May 02:26post reply

quote:

http://majoria.destiny3fates.net/

April 16th update

Juke Joint Jezebel
3393th Post

"Re(3):Rid/Offline" , posted Tue 3 May 02:28post reply

quote:

http://majoria.destiny3fates.net/

April 16th update

:-$

Undead Fred
2344th Post

"Re(1):Rid/Offline" , posted Tue 3 May 08:43post reply

quote:
My PC seems to be dead, it can run DOS, but as soon as you want to install Windows, protection errors start appearing, for no reason... maybe something wrong with the ram? I hope it's not the cpu or the bios :(

So I'll be offline, at least from AIM/MSN/ICQ, so the ones that tend to talk with me are advised.

Feel free to mail me at majoria_news at yahoo dot com for anything you want to say, or to send Majoria fanarts :3

Hmm... so you can't RUN Windows, or were you trying to re-install it? If you get on someone else's computer, you may run searches for your problem to try some solutions... My guess is that your HD is dying or you've got a virus? Who knows...

exodus
2631th Post

"bleh!" , posted Tue 3 May 08:56post reply

rid, if you find that it's your harddrive, I can send you a new (smallish) one for free. That's a serious offer, I have 10 or so HDs between 4 and 15 gigs that I keep forgetting to sell on ebay. I got them for free, so if it'd help you, I'm glad to send.

Red Falcon
5458th Post

"Re(3):Rid/Offline" , posted Tue 3 May 09:24post reply

I hope you get it fixed soon, Rid!

Best site EVER:Link Here

Undead Fred
2345th Post

"Re(1):bleh!" , posted Tue 3 May 10:18post reply

quote:
rid, if you find that it's your harddrive, I can send you a new (smallish) one for free. That's a serious offer, I have 10 or so HDs between 4 and 15 gigs that I keep forgetting to sell on ebay. I got them for free, so if it'd help you, I'm glad to send.

If it's a failing HD, then Exodus' offer is pretty good... if it's a virus, you may have to wipe your HD and reinstall... I just hope you are able to back up the files you wanted to keep.

Spoon
929th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(1):bleh!" , posted Tue 3 May 10:51post reply

quote:

Hey hey hey how much you want for a 15 gigger?

Grahf
379th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(2):bleh!" , posted Tue 3 May 11:27post reply

quote:
gigger

Such foul language.

DarkZero
1221th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(1):Rid/Offline" , posted Tue 3 May 11:42post reply

quote:

My advice would be to use a boot disk like Knoppix to try to move your files to either another hard drive or a few CDs/DVDs, then reinstall. If you can get past the BIOS, then your RAM is *probably* fine. And if you can run a boot disk, then it's definitely just a virus/spyware/corruption problem in Windows that would be fixed by a reinstall.

Hope to see you around again soon.

OmegaDog
1504th Post

Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(2):bleh!" , posted Tue 3 May 11:55:post reply

EDIT: Oy! DarkZero beat me to it! Aw well -- my experiences are below.

quote:
If it's a failing HD, then Exodus' offer is pretty good... if it's a virus, you may have to wipe your HD and reinstall... I just hope you are able to back up the files you wanted to keep.

What happened with me was that I got bad sectors on some essential spot on my HD -- so every time I tried to load Windows, the thing would act like the HD was failing, and it'd just crash on me.

I had a friend download and burn a Knoppix CD for me -- and through it, I could read from my hard drive, the Internet (wired ethernet, not wireless), etc. etc. without problems.

Unfortunately, reinstalling Windows just couldn't be done -- on the install search for a previous version of windows, I kept hitting that bad part, such that it said that the hard drive was completely borked -- it said I'd need to reformat or even replace the hard drive before I could do anything with it.

Since, contrary to what the Win Install said, it seemed to work pretty well under Knoppix, I just used Knoppix until a friend could come over to copy over the contents of my HD -- and afterwards, with everything backed up, we could reformat and reinstall everything.

So, if DOS is at least working and you can access all the hard drive contents there, and you want a Windows-like atmosphere to access the net & such, you might see if a friend can download and burn Knoppix for you.

Knoppix English page

[Or does anyone recommend another Live linux CD distro?]

SO... IT'S FLITZ TIME EVERYBODY! | CCT: NEXT STAGE IS 21

[this message was edited by OmegaDog on Tue 3 May 11:56]

trogdor
26th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(1):Rid/Offline" , posted Tue 3 May 17:12post reply

quote:

have you tried yelling at your machine?

works for me... sometimes.

NARUTO
3022th Post

"Re(2):Rid/Offline" , posted Tue 3 May 19:11post reply

quote:
have you tried yelling at your machine?

works for me... sometimes.

So we share the same Tricks...^ ^

Well hope you'll be back soon!

We are all mad at some point....

rid
6600th Post

"Re(3):Rid/Offline" , posted Tue 3 May 19:34post reply

I formatted my HD, erasing the partitions, and did a surface scan that returned no problems. I was able to install and run DOS with no problem. But every time I try to install Windows (98, 98SE, even ME), protection errors start to appear as soon as the "windows is starting for the first time" screen appears, after the first restarting. And with ME even before, when it's checking before installing the files.

ZamIAm
1515th Post

"Re(4):Rid/Offline" , posted Wed 4 May 12:25post reply

quote:
I formatted my HD, erasing the partitions, and did a surface scan that returned no problems. I was able to install and run DOS with no problem. But every time I try to install Windows (98, 98SE, even ME), protection errors start to appear as soon as the "windows is starting for the first time" screen appears, after the first restarting. And with ME even before, when it's checking before installing the files.

Sound like some of the problems I had. Which means there's a chance that your HD has an entire dead sector and has to be replaced.

They're outsourcing Elmo and putting Cookie Monster on a diet...WHAT IS THE WORLD COMING TO?!?

Spoon
936th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(3):bleh!" , posted Wed 4 May 12:38post reply

quote:
EDIT: Oy! DarkZero beat me to it! Aw well -- my experiences are below.

What happened with me was that I got bad sectors on some essential spot on my HD -- so every time I tried to load Windows, the thing would act like the HD was failing, and it'd just crash on me.

I had a friend download and burn a Knoppix CD for me -- and through it, I could read from my hard drive, the Internet (wired ethernet, not wireless), etc. etc. without problems.

Unfortunately, reinstalling Windows just couldn't be done -- on the install search for a previous version of windows, I kept hitting that bad part, such that it said that the hard drive was completely borked -- it said I'd need to reformat or even replace the hard drive before I could do anything with it.

Since, contrary to what the Win Install said, it seemed to work pretty well under Knoppix, I just used Knoppix until a friend could come over to copy over the contents of my HD -- and afterwards, with everything backed up, we could reformat and reinstall everything.

So, if DOS is at least working and you can access all the hard drive contents there, and you want a Windows-like atmosphere to access the net & such, you might see if a friend can download and burn Knoppix for you.

Knoppix English page

Knoppix is really good, but if you plan on using it to virus scan, be aware of a few things:

Knoppix CANNOT write to NTFS drives/partitions.

If you have really huge partitions and/or files that muchly muchly exceed the amount of RAM you have, most virus scanners will screw up and force a system halt.

OmegaDog
1506th Post

"Re(4):bleh!" , posted Wed 4 May 13:19post reply

quote:
Sound like some of the problems I had. Which means there's a chance that your HD has an entire dead sector and has to be replaced.

I believe what my friend did, after we backed up everything and reformatted, was that he moved the bad sector to its own partition. Either way, I haven't had a problem since, even when my hard drive's been almost completely full.

quote:
Knoppix CANNOT write to NTFS drives/partitions.

Wait, what about with Captive?

SO... IT'S FLITZ TIME EVERYBODY! | CCT: NEXT STAGE IS 21

rid
6601th Post

"hummm" , posted Fri 6 May 00:49post reply

quote:

But shouldn't Scandisk give errors if that's the case? even the full surface exploration didn't found any problem.

Holiday
2499th Post

"Re(1):hummm" , posted Fri 6 May 02:47post reply

This may sound weird, but try pulling out every usb device connected to your pc?
I had this problem happen to be once, and it seems that the motherboard didn't like the usb device.

Doesn't sound like a bad sector since you ran scandisk on it, but you could also try creating a new partition on your main hard disk and installing windows there.

Shapermc
83th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(3):bleh!" , posted Fri 6 May 03:12post reply

quote:
Knoppix English page

Strange enough this exact same thing happen to me last night. I really have no idea what to do as I have never had to deal with this stuff before. I thank you for that link and hopefully I can get something out of this all. I really have no idea what to do or look for though, perhaps it will become obvious.

Anyways thanks for the link. At worst I may be able to just salvage the files I need then install a new HD and reinstall XP.

It was also said that my problem sounds like bad memory from a co-worker. I am going to test that too.

Too bad this PC has an ArcadeVGA as the video card. I have to do all this while staring at my arcade monitor.

legalstep
91th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(4):bleh!" , posted Fri 6 May 07:19post reply

Shaper you post here. I never knew.

exodus
2651th Post

"Re(5):bleh!" , posted Fri 6 May 08:08post reply

quote:
Shaper you post here. I never knew.

I didn't either!
he registered one month after I did. interestinggggggg

Makondo99
269th Post

Copper Customer

"It's spreading!" , posted Fri 6 May 10:05post reply

quote:

Strange enough this exact same thing happen to me...

You won't believe this, but the same thing happened to me two days ago.

Windows ME started to complain about a corrupted entry in the registry? (registro de windows) and claimed that it would fix it after a reboot.
Sadly, it didn't.
Every time I logged into Windows, I had this message poping up and was prompted to reboot.
I tried booting in safe mode, but I wasn't able to load it.
I decided to perform a "format c:" and re-install the OS (I've done this several times) and almost when finishing the installation a message appeared complaining about "*.CAB files"
WTF?!
I tried re-installing the OS about 5 times with no luck.
I tried an older OS (Win 98 SE) and it installed without problems.
I don't like Win 98, so I tried upgrading to Win ME and even Win2k but I was given several reports about errors.
So I decided to stick with Win 98 for the time being, but when installing the programs I usually use I was given the fatal message again "problems with the register...reboot".
I was ready to send the computer flying out the room, but calmed down and asked for help.
I was told to try any possible faulty piece of hardware, starting from the RAMs. I tried one by one using an utility called Memtest. It claimed that one of my RAMs was bad.
I tried installing Win ME again, everything was OK 'till the last reboot, when nothing happened. The screen would show "loading Windows" then "Now it's safe to turn off your computer" T_T

So, I decided to perform a LLF I re-installed Win 98, with the purpose of saving my data from my other partition, but Nero showed error messages when trying to burn the CDs, so I wasn't able to save anything.

I read in the web that before trying a LLF you should try to fix the MBR . I used and old bootable disk and FDISK to do the following:

*delete the extended partition
*delete the primary partition
*reboot
*use FDISK/MBR
*reboot
*format c:
*Install

Win ME installed quickly and without problems. Then I used Partition Magic to created an extended partition. Then I format C: again, re-installed Win ME and installed my usual stuff. Everything so far is working fine, except for a little problem...
I can't install the drivers of my printer!
The scanner is working fine, the burner seems OK, I can connect to the Internet but I can't install some &/$%&#$"!!! drivers...
I guess I'll have some sleep an then I'll search the Internet for a solution.
Sorry for the long post, but perhaps some of the information here might be useful to someone.

Shapermc
84th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(6):bleh!" , posted Fri 6 May 23:51post reply

quote:
-Shaper you post here. I never knew.-

I didn't either!
he registered one month after I did. interestinggggggg

Well...

I apparently don't post here a lot. For a while (long while) I would only browse and read. I lost my password so just never posted. I am currently at a loss for good forums so I came back here. Sometimes this forum is too good for me. I emailed The Professor about my password and got it so that I could reply.

Thanks Prof.

But, uhhh yea, no stalking was involved.

rid
6603th Post

"Re(1):Rid/Offline" , posted Mon 9 May 21:30post reply

...and I'm back for now. Let's hope this time my pc manages to survive. It was either my old hd, or the dirt on the motherboard making one of the rams malfunction. Or both. Or something else.

Thanks for the help offerings, but looks like I managed to make my pc work, let's keep fingers crossed.

Majoria's News is back, but this was a slow week on news, anyway.

Toxico
4068th Post

"Re(2):Rid/Offline" , posted Wed 11 May 04:09post reply

quote:

Majoria's News is back, but this was a slow week on news, anyway.

If mischiefs happens again you could try checking the temperature of your hardware; if you still stick to your old pc (what was it?? something in the 400hz line if I do recall, right?) those things aren't supposed to heat so quickly. If the motherboard, the RAM, the processor or the Power source do heat up a lot in short time that could be causing problems (I lost a HDD once due to that), in that case you can keep the heat down by having less temperature on the room where the PC is stored (como dejar tu pc destapado con un ventilador al lado).

By the way, my pc takes something like 15 minutes to heat down when in problems; so sometimes when I'm using it for long periods of time I turn it off for 15 minutes or so and then get back to the work; it's really bothersome but it does the trick.

See??? He is a God...

Undead Fred
2359th Post

"Re(3):Rid/Offline" , posted Wed 11 May 06:22post reply

quote:
If mischiefs happens again you could try checking the temperature of your hardware; if you still stick to your old pc (what was it?? something in the 400hz line if I do recall, right?) those things aren't supposed to heat so quickly. If the motherboard, the RAM, the processor or the Power source do heat up a lot in short time that could be causing problems (I lost a HDD once due to that), in that case you can keep the heat down by having less temperature on the room where the PC is stored (como dejar tu pc destapado con un ventilador al lado).

By the way, my pc takes something like 15 minutes to heat down when in problems; so sometimes when I'm using it for long periods of time I turn it off for 15 minutes or so and then get back to the work; it's really bothersome but it does the trick.

Did you try replacing your computer's fan(s)? It could still be that your computer's just overheating, but if your fans are really really old, then maybe they're not doing their job properly anymore? I don't know, just a thought...

Juan
4146th Post

"Re(4):Rid/Offline" , posted Wed 11 May 07:06post reply

You can also open the case and use a housefan to help the ventilation. It sounds ridiculous, but I had to do that when the motherboard fried in one of my systems and I had to use a dual processor (oven!) as a temporary replacement.

Dead computer + paper due = fun!

quote:

Did you try replacing your computer's fan(s)? It could still be that your computer's just overheating, but if your fans are really really old, then maybe they're not doing their job properly anymore? I don't know, just a thought...

STFU

rid
6608th Post

"Re(1):Rid/Offline" , posted Thu 12 May 02:32post reply

Computer acting funny again, damn. Let's hope Norton WinDoctor helps...