Sakaguchi + Toriyama - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (1994 Views )

Iggy
6430th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Sakaguchi + Toriyama" , posted Mon 2 May 17:48post reply

Mist Walker on the X Box next/360 whatever.

That will sell consoles in the US, at least.

ねんがんの ネ申ゲーをてにいれたぞ!

Replies:

Pollyanna
1074th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Re(1):Sakaguchi + Toriyama" , posted Mon 2 May 19:16post reply

Wow, Toriyama really...put a lot of effort into those designs, huh? Rrrrrr....

Ishmael
1980th Post

Gold Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(2):Sakaguchi + Toriyama" , posted Mon 2 May 22:37post reply

So the entire game is centered around making the spikey haired guy squat and grunt out a dragon?

Mosquiton
1606th Post

Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(2):Sakaguchi + Toriyama" , posted Mon 2 May 23:07:post reply

quote:
Wow, Toriyama really...put a lot of effort into those designs, huh? Rrrrrr....

Indeed, I'm a クルック FIEND!

。。。

/ / /

[this message was edited by Mosquiton on Mon 2 May 23:08]

exodus
2620th Post

"Re(3):Sakaguchi + Toriyama" , posted Tue 3 May 01:03post reply

haha.
ALL OF TORIYAMA'S STUFF LOOKS SO DIFFERENT.

I still don't get it. I mean...his men and women look the same! It looks like a 14 year old's fanart! BLEH.

Pollyanna
1076th Post

"Re(4):Sakaguchi + Toriyama" , posted Tue 3 May 06:47post reply

I really like SOME of Toriyama's character designs. His DQ3 and 4 stuff had a lot of charm, and I liked about half the designs in DQ7 as well....but lately, it seems like his stuff is really half-assed most of the time. The main character for this really looks like trash. It's unprofessional.

shindekudasai
91th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(5):Sakaguchi + Toriyama" , posted Tue 3 May 06:55post reply

Dragonball, Chrono Trigger, Sandland.

...do I really have to say more?

Wither Blister Burn + Peel

Juan
4136th Post

"Re(5):Sakaguchi + Toriyama" , posted Tue 3 May 06:57post reply

He is probably doing it in purpose so they finally leave him alone.

quote:
....but lately, it seems like his stuff is really half-assed most of the time. The main character for this really looks like trash. It's unprofessional.

STFU

exodus
2630th Post

"Re(6):Sakaguchi + Toriyama" , posted Tue 3 May 07:38post reply

quote:

haha!! phase himself out of the business.

Pollyanna
1079th Post

"Re(7):Sakaguchi + Toriyama" , posted Tue 3 May 07:45post reply

quote:

haha!! phase himself out of the business.

I feel like Togashi has been doing the same thing for quite some time. "Come on. I DARE you to publish this chapter of Hunter."

Shin_ATproof
1181th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member+

"Re(8):Sakaguchi + Toriyama" , posted Tue 3 May 11:06post reply

After seeing the terrific design in DQ8...this artwork is a little underwhelming.

Sí mon con langosta y camarón

Iggy
6433th Post

"Re(1):Sakaguchi + Toriyama" , posted Tue 3 May 17:32post reply

Well, what I like in this news is how the terrific power of the next X Box is shown at its full potential in the 0 pics (also, what's the need to hype a game that will be released in at least one year on a console without even a name to kids through Jump, really).

Also, Sakaguchi is making his company to create new forms of entertainment, and new forms of entertainment involve hiring Toriyama, like DQ and Chrono Trigger.

Sakaguchi is like a guy who wants to make something for kids, then asks himself "what do kids want?" and his answer is what he liked when he was himself a kid 30 years ago.
Because, frankly, I'm not sure the children who read Jump now know who is Toriyama beside "that guy who makes DQ illustrations".

ねんがんの ネ申ゲーをてにいれたぞ!

OYashiroForever
830th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(1):Sakaguchi + Toriyama" , posted Tue 3 May 18:18post reply

Wow. Toriyama must just use a stencil at this point. Pitiful.

A shame, really... I was kinda curious to see what Sakaguchi would do.

"Only two things are infinite the universe and human stupidity and I'm not sure about the former."

"Your denial is beneath you and thanks to the use of hallucinogenic drugs I see through you."

Pollyanna
1084th Post

"Re(2):Sakaguchi + Toriyama" , posted Tue 3 May 19:23post reply

quote:

Sakaguchi is like a guy who wants to make something for kids, then asks himself "what do kids want?" and his answer is what he liked when he was himself a kid 30 years ago.
Because, frankly, I'm not sure the children who read Jump now know who is Toriyama beside "that guy who makes DQ illustrations".

I wouldn't say that. There's always coverage on Dragonball things that shouldn't be covered and video games in Jump. I don't know that kids -REALLY- care about Toriyama anymore, but that's not what advertisement is telling me. I thought with the release of so many new DBZ games, there was a revival of interest.

Also (on a different note), there was nothing special about Toriyama's DQ8 designs. Well, not with the human characters at least (no, boobs do not count). But...they still had more heart than this.

This whole situation is upsetting to me, because it really feels obvious that Microsoft is just buying whatever names they can "Guess who we've got...guess what he's doing...and guess who's doing the character designs!!!". I don't like accusing Microsoft of this and that and I've never done it before, but this just seems too obvious, forced and lifeless. Maybe I should blame Sakaguchi instead...or maybe I'll play the game, and be sorry I said anything bad at all.

IkariDC
335th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(3):Sakaguchi + Toriyama" , posted Tue 3 May 21:02post reply

I kind of like the DQ8 designs, and I can't wait to play the game, but I agree that these designs are too lame, even for a Tori fan like me.

I'd like him to surprise me again like when he published Cowa!, it had a really delicious and refreshing style.

beto
863th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(2):Sakaguchi + Toriyama" , posted Tue 3 May 23:57post reply

quote:

Yeah, because the recent Dragon Ball Perfect Editions didn´t outsell every other manga released in the same period or anything...

exodus
2632th Post

"Re(3):Sakaguchi + Toriyama" , posted Wed 4 May 02:01post reply

I think it's funny how authentic most DBZ fanart looks.

Iggy
6439th Post

"Re(3):Sakaguchi + Toriyama" , posted Wed 4 May 02:54post reply

quote:
Yeah, because the recent Dragon Ball Perfect Editions didn´t outsell every other manga released in the same period or anything...

Do you know the price of these ? Do you think children that are under 10 years old can afford this ? Do you think children under 10 buy artbooks ? Do you think children under 10 have found memories of DBGT ? Do you have any idea of what you're talking about ? And, most importantly, where is that stupid Assassin guild that is supposed to be west of Tarmita ?

Questions, questions.

ねんがんの ネ申ゲーをてにいれたぞ!

OYashiroForever
831th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(3):Sakaguchi + Toriyama" , posted Wed 4 May 07:29post reply

quote:

Darth Beto: Post Lord of the Sith.

"Only two things are infinite the universe and human stupidity and I'm not sure about the former."

"Your denial is beneath you and thanks to the use of hallucinogenic drugs I see through you."

Maou
615th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(4):Sakaguchi + Toriyama" , posted Wed 4 May 08:58post reply

quote:
Post Lord of the Sith.

It's true, "acerbic rating" is at 100%, fear! And yeah, those new Toriyama designs are terrible, maybe they're just random scraps he drew for Jump. I don't love his style that much, but his Chrono Trigger designs were very distinctive despite the cartoony style, and DQVIII looks not bad to me, but....

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...