Dead genres? Live genres? What's going on? - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (3412 Views )

shin ramberk
109th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Regular Customer

"Dead genres? Live genres? What's going on?" , posted Fri 29 Apr 02:56post reply

This truly is, one of my last gasps as a gamer. I've been in a downward spiral for a long time. SF doesn't even interest me as much anymore. Ugh. I'm turning into an 'adult' I guess. Anyhow, before I do say goodbye to electronic gaming, I wanted to gauge your thoughts, my fellow cafe folks, as to what is happening in the vg industry. Where is it going? What genres are dying? What genres are springing up?

My thoughts? I have no fricken clue. What the hell are the popular game genres now? 3D platformers? MMORPS? KOTOR style RPGS?

What genres are dying? The 2D platformer is dead right-- even on the GBA, no one makes 2D platformers. Fighting games have become like sports games- we get our annual release of Tekken, Virtua Fighter, Soul Caliber but nothing new-- no expansion, no new franchises. Arcades are... ugh.

I'm getting depressed. Eh. I'm rambling... blargh.

But really? Where are the new franchises? The 'New Ideas'? The 'New Genres'?

Go buy the new Warlock series by Marvel. It is good support this title!

Replies:

OmegaDog
1502th Post

Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(1):Dead genres? Live genres? What's going" , posted Fri 29 Apr 03:05:post reply

quote:

They're in your head, waiting to be written down and cohesed together into a solid idea, then waiting to be coded, scripted, animated, given music and sound effects, tested, fixed, and then distributed.

Though, they don't have to be completely new genres. Creative applications of existing genres work incredibly well too.

SO... IT'S FLITZ TIME EVERYBODY! | CCT: NEXT STAGE IS 21

[this message was edited by OmegaDog on Fri 29 Apr 03:08]

Maou
596th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(2):Dead genres? Live genres? What's going" , posted Fri 29 Apr 03:36post reply

Most popular? I assume it's action and sports games like always in America, and RPG's and fighters like always in Japan, but who knows? But I still see some fun creativity and a certain level of interactivity in previous genres that I didn't used to see. Katamari Damacy, Ookami (especially this one), and more interaction with the environment with traditional genres like RPG's seem exciting to me nowdays, where previous things were lacking. I enjoy the concept of a lush RPG world like the SaGa or FF where you can actually interact and move freely (unlike 32 bit versions where there were beautiful backgrounds and worlds that you really couldn't do much to)....my hope is that new version of old genres can help "realize" what they always have needed to/wanted to.

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

Joe Randel
401th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(1):Dead genres? Live genres? What's going " , posted Fri 29 Apr 04:45post reply

It doesn't seem to me that there really is one thing that is popular in games right now. I think the industry has been boiled down to the treat of the month type games and even then they're just crap cooked up by studios so they can make more money. It's not about the art of making games anymore. But that's not to say that things are down and out. The games industry is now very much like Hollywoood I find. You have big studios that pump out bland games that mostly appeal to the lowest common denominator and then there are the small studios that are actually trying to think of new game play and designs. That's where I think the good stuff comes from. That's where the live stuff is.

And yes, you are growing up, but take pride in that and have fun bitch'n about today's youth. ^_^

"I can't take any more illicit drugs... I can't afford any artificial joy" - Pursuit of Happiness

Mokona
249th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(3):Dead genres? Live genres? What's going" , posted Fri 29 Apr 04:55post reply

I think the industry is going in a direction where if your game is not a multi-million dollar production, it gets no love. this is linked to the fact that games are marketed to wider audiences now, so the average gamer now is someone who'll buy anything "3D with impressive graphics" that pushes the machine to its best but no story, no gameplay, no originality. Most people who've played video games since the old days will tell you that...
You can't blame companies for making what sells, I guess... Fortunately, there are still good games getting released from time to time. What really bugs me is that the japanese are pretty good at making new concepts for games, yet most of them won't be released outside of Japan (then again, most of them would sell poorly... since the "average occidental gamer" now only buys Madden 200X and DOAX...)
I have faith though that good games keep on getting released, some people in the industry are pationnate enough to get us that!

Blah!

Burning Ranger
1188th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member+

"Re(1):Dead genres? Live genres? What's going" , posted Fri 29 Apr 06:09post reply

quote:
This truly is, one of my last gasps as a gamer. I've been in a downward spiral for a long time. SF doesn't even interest me as much anymore. Ugh. I'm turning into an 'adult' I guess. Anyhow, before I do say goodbye to electronic gaming, I wanted to gauge your thoughts, my fellow cafe folks, as to what is happening in the vg industry. Where is it going? What genres are dying? What genres are springing up?

My thoughts? I have no fricken clue. What the hell are the popular game genres now? 3D platformers? MMORPS? KOTOR style RPGS?

What genres are dying? The 2D platformer is dead right-- even on the GBA, no one makes 2D platformers. Fighting games have become like sports games- we get our annual release of Tekken, Virtua Fighter, Soul Caliber but nothing new-- no expansion, no new franchises. Arcades are... ugh.

I'm getting depressed. Eh. I'm rambling... blargh.

I feel your pain. Nothing new has been able to get my attention except for a rare few games. Good thing there's Half-Life 2 to keep me company. But I need to stay away from Halo 2 and XboxLive for a while. It was a good concept to take games online, but once it went mainstream, it shot straight to hell...

Advanced Cyborg E. Branger AKA Burning Ranger

"The war is over the fight is just beginning..."

Iggy
6408th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(1):Dead genres? Live genres? What's going " , posted Fri 29 Apr 06:09post reply

Games cost a lot of money to make, and with the next generation, it will cost even more. Which means, less risks taken.

But even with this depressing state of the market, there still are games made for me, without concessions. Some studios, Sony, Namco or Square still put some of the money they get with their bigger franchises to create creative and low profile games (I'd like to put Capcom in the basket as well, but Ôkami and Killer 7 ought to be damn good).
The point is, it all depends of what you seek in a videogame, and at what rate.
I was thinking exactly as you do when the PS2 came (I hated my PS1, the DC was doomed to be a cute looser, and the X Box was ugly). And finally, after a few years and Siren, Minstrel Song, Mojipittan, Katamari, the PS2 became one of my favourite consoles of all times, and I think it's adjusting to my needs as perfectly as the SFC back in the days.

ねんがんの ネ申ゲーをてにいれたぞ!

Fuchikoma
1275th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(2):Dead genres? Live genres? What's going" , posted Fri 29 Apr 15:54post reply

The whole gaming industry has become hard to predict... before you just knew if it was from the likes of Capcom or Namco you were in for a good game... that's not the case anymore.

Capcom 2-d fighting is dead, Breath of Fire is dead, Megaman is more played out than ever, and the DMC sequels have either been too boring or down right impossible. On the bright side Viewtiful Joe and Onimusha have been a success and Shadow of Rome was a very nice surprise.

Namco... oh dear Namco... Death by Degrees was a nightmare... Dead to Rights 2 is completly mindless... but as far as fighting and RPGs they still have their act together. Tekken 5 is the best in the series, and the Tales and Xenosaga series are better than ever.

Sega... good god what happened to you. Billy Hatcher? Sonic Heroes? Amazing Island? Virtua Quest?... and really I can't see things look up for Sega... it's just been a downward spiral since Sammy bought them out.

I won't bitch too much about Konami but Nanobreaker sucked ass.

One company that's surprised me with consistantly good games recently has to be Ubisoft. The Prince of Persia games, the Splinter Cell series, XIII, Farcry... some really, really great stuff.

As for what's in? I'd say FPS is driving the market along with street racing games. There's been quite a few good FPS games recently too like Half-Life 2, Chronicles of Riddick, Farcry, SW:Republic Commando, Swat 4, Pariah, Area 51, etc.

Iggy
6414th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(3):Dead genres? Live genres? What's going" , posted Fri 29 Apr 17:54post reply

quote:
Xenosaga series are better than ever.

See? Even the most twisted fetishists have disgusting games made for them nowadays, all hope is not lost.

ねんがんの ネ申ゲーをてにいれたぞ!

trogdor
25th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(4):Dead genres? Live genres? What's going" , posted Sat 30 Apr 07:05post reply

quote:

See? Even the most twisted fetishists have disgusting games made for them nowadays, all hope is not lost.

rumble roses :-D

Ishmael
1978th Post

Gold Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(1):Dead genres? Live genres? What's going " , posted Sat 30 Apr 11:02post reply

quote:

It's spread out all over the place which, for my money, isn't a bad thing at all.

quote:
What genres are dying? The 2D platformer is dead right-- even on the GBA, no one makes 2D platformers.

Platformers are still being made using the same sort of work ethic that was being used years ago: some games are high quality that use existing technology in new and exciting ways and some are hack jobs. The only difference is that they are in 3D now. While there were some very good 2D platformers there were also plenty of Wrath of the Black Mantas and Home Improvements out there as well.

This raises an interesting side point, when is technology "good enough" for a player? One selling point of games thats been around since Atari and Intellivision were fighting it out is how visually wonderful games look. To this day I can still recall that stupid "Genesis does what Nintendon't" line. What causes the switch so that game players decide that they have found something that they are comfortable with instead of wanting to see the next technological marvel?

quote:
Arcades are... ugh.

Considering some of the arcades that used to be in my area I expect the property value in the neighborhoods went up when they went out of business.

quote:

Really, it all depends on what you are looking for. A quick story about something that interested me in a game recently: I rented the game Merceneries and was out doing my shooting/carjacking/sandbox thing. At one point I was incognito in a civilian car in an area controlled by the North Koreans. Suddenly it struck me just what an odd experience the game was giving me. I was driving a car around in North Korea. As long as games can continue to offer me unexpected experiences that I cannot get in real life I'll probably stick with them.

EternalNewbie
178th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(2):Dead genres? Live genres? What's going" , posted Sun 1 May 02:40post reply

Meh, the industry is going through a strange time, that is for sure. The old gaming companies that we loved and trusted have changed over time (they have lost and gained alot of different staff along the years), although not always to say for the complete worse. The cost of making games and even who the targetted audience is have changed. Also, we are technically running out of genres for games, causing stagnation found in almost any media outlet. However, that is not to say everything has gotten worse. We still get good games that we enjoy, even if their hasn't been a epic game release in a while (like the game or hate the game, I still remember the huge ass lines for Zelda: OoT). However, if it makes you feel any better, the industry is aware of this stagnation and/or strange evolution it has taken, and many companies and developers are seeking an answer. Just go read some of the stuff from this year's GDC (Game Developer's/Designer's Conference) and you will see some of the ideas people have for changing the industry; even if some of those ideas take it in the wrong path in my opinion. Alot of designers, although not quite sure the percentage of, are calling for a revolution in the industry. Even Nintendo is trying to change stuff, no matter how crazy and in the end, stupid they may seem/be. That is even the reason behind their next console being nicknamed/named the Nintendo Revolution. They are trying to break some of the stagnation in the industry by changing HOW people play. On the other hand, many designers are trying to change WHAT people play or HOW it is made. So, there is hope the industry will hit some creative gold sometime and at least they are trying to improve, so don't give up hope. Just sit back and have patience, playing some of the good games that get released these days.

EternalNewbie:
The Einherjar Hachitoushi -- The 8 Warriors of the Ragnarok Plan

Baines
67th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(3):Dead genres? Live genres? What's going" , posted Sun 1 May 03:00post reply

[quoteand really I can't see things look up for Sega... it's just been a downward spiral since Sammy bought them out.

Now now, you make it sound like Sammy is the problem. Sega was in a downward spiral before Sammy ever got involved.

Izek
136th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(4):Dead genres? Live genres? What's going" , posted Sun 1 May 14:43post reply

I think the market is going to have a crash soon. Too many things are being released all at once. The DS and PSP, then PS3, 360,Revolution, GBA sequel.

As for the games, there are still gems out there like the MGS series and classic surprises like Ico.

Yes 2D games (fighters in particular) are dying but from what I hear it might be due to incompetence. Heard that Capcom had a REALLY hard time animating the Ingrid sprite in the 'new' SF. Maybe the companies just aren't capable of making em anymore, who knows.

The industry is imo going through a huge graphic whore phase. More could have been done with the current consoles but no they had to jump start the new war.