Urban Reign - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (3450 Views )

Ishmael
1974th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Gold Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Urban Reign" , posted Fri 29 Apr 00:49post reply

http://namco-ch.net/urban_reign/index.php

Who would have guessed that Final Fight style 3D beat 'em ups would be the next big trend in games?

Replies:

exodus
2609th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(1):Urban Reign" , posted Fri 29 Apr 00:59post reply

quote:
http://namco-ch.net/urban_reign/index.php

Who would have guessed that Final Fight style 3D beat 'em ups would be the next big trend in games?

I would definitely omit the word 'big' from that sentence. These are all going to fizzle.

Ishmael
1977th Post

Gold Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(2):Urban Reign" , posted Fri 29 Apr 01:39post reply

I'm sure the games are going to be more like Fighting Force than Street of Rage but I still keep hoping that one of these modern brawlers will be fun. The idea of walking down the middle of the street and beating the crap out of anyone you come across with a lead pipe or Xianghua's sword is appealing but why can't programmers successfully pull off a game like that nowadays?

Nate
520th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(3):Urban Reign" , posted Fri 29 Apr 02:17post reply

quote:
I'm sure the games are going to be more like Fighting Force than Street of Rage but I still keep hoping that one of these modern brawlers will be fun. The idea of walking down the middle of the street and beating the crap out of anyone you come across with a lead pipe or Xianghua's sword is appealing but why can't programmers successfully pull off a game like that nowadays?

I think it looks pretty neat, but yeah, it could always be more of a Fighting Force than a Streets of Rage. Meh. I like the team-up attacks the game seems to have, but who knows if those will be implemented decently.

There are a lot of games of this type coming out, aren't there? I know there was the sequel to Spikeout and I'm pretty sure there's a Capcom game coming out soon as well? That's a lot considering how dead this genre is generally considered.

ワンダフル! ビューティフル! エキサイティング!

EddyT
474th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(3):Urban Reign" , posted Fri 29 Apr 02:47:post reply

quote:

I would think because this genre in the 3D realm is underdeveloped and difficult to pull off, compared to doing it in 2D. I think we're seeing a boom of these games again due to increased abilities in game engines and hardware.

I really hope Urban Reign will be great, because the genre really needs a good revival. Hopefully the Tekken team will be able to work out a more solid game than the Tekken mini-game beat-em-ups, having to focus on making a complete game out of it. The tag-team attacks look great and hopefully there will be a lot of variety in the attacks each character can do.

[this message was edited by EddyT on Fri 29 Apr 02:48]

Juan
4130th Post

"the gate, it breaks" , posted Fri 29 Apr 02:58:post reply

I really would like to see some sort of new Final Fight game. Something with Cody/Haggar/Guy. Maybe Capcom will make a crappy one if these sets of games do well.

Spikeout is pretty cool-

quote:
I really hope Urban Reign will be great, because the genre really needs a good revival.

STFU

[this message was edited by Juan on Fri 29 Apr 02:59]

exodus
2614th Post

"Re(1):the gate, it breaks" , posted Fri 29 Apr 03:48post reply

I just don't think this type of game is going to get that popular...but I could be wrong!

IkariDC
334th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(2):the gate, it breaks" , posted Fri 29 Apr 03:52post reply

I've just seen a game trailer and looks cools so far... at least all the moves and the combos you can pull off. The designs and the overall look... I don't like it enough. That's what happens in all those 3D brawlers.

Exodus, nice avatar/signature set, what's it about?

burning kyo
2279th Post

"Re(1):Urban Reign" , posted Fri 29 Apr 03:55:post reply

In the trailer, you can see there's a XiangHua, Steve and Eddy clones (I'm talking about the fighting styles and the main special moves) ...
Namco was so inspired on this game !
I just hope that will not be too similar to the "devil within" shit of T5 or even Death By Degrees.

[welcome to the devil's nest]

[this message was edited by burning kyo on Fri 29 Apr 03:57]

Mosquiton
1603th Post

Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Beat' em" , posted Sun 1 May 03:38:post reply

I'm not betting on either game being a new classic, but I think it's possible for either Beatdown or Urban Reign to be decent enough to at least register a positive beat.

It's obvious these games aren't big budget productions, but it's probably a safe bet to say that some of the people involved are big fans of Streets of Rage, Final Fight, and maybe even Battle Circuit and Aliens vs. Predator. I believe I may try to find out.

And about Fighting Force, this game was developed in fucking 1997 by fucking Core Entertainment. One, that's eight years ago and two, at least Capcom and Namco have some fighting roots. So maybe Spikeout wasn't that great, but what's the last game that Sega has actually really followed through with? For a 3/4 assed effort (which is about all you can expect from Sega these days, I'm hoping they'll prove me wrong soon), Spikeout wasn't that bad.

/ / /

[this message was edited by Mosquiton on Sun 1 May 03:41]

beto
860th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(1):Beat' em" , posted Sun 1 May 03:48post reply

Spike-Out is pretty good. Not very interested in Beatdown because it seems less of a beat-em-up and more of another on diluted "gimmick" GTA wannabe.

Wasn´t there a rumor about SNKP developing a beat-em-up?

exodus
2622th Post

"the avatarrrrrrrrrrrrrrr" , posted Tue 3 May 01:07post reply

quote:

Exodus, nice avatar/signature set, what's it about?

both are by korean artist jung sic park.

IkariDC
337th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(1):the avatarrrrrrrrrrrrrrr" , posted Wed 4 May 22:00post reply

Yeah, I learned that already from one of your Insert Credit's updates. It's a really awesome artist! I'll keep an eye on his site.