Kung Fu hustle censored in USA? - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (4503 Views )

Bootation
447th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Gold Customer

"Kung Fu hustle censored in USA?" , posted Wed 27 Apr 00:16post reply

I was considering seeing Kung Fu hustle because it is subtitled. Has it been censored like its predessorm Shaolin Soccer was over here in the great red white and blue?

Pretty please check out my neato sweet awesome webpage

Replies:

Digitalboy
182th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(1):Kung Fu hustle censored in USA?" , posted Wed 27 Apr 00:41post reply

Shaolin Soccer was censored? If so what was censored?

threesixtee
861th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(2):Kung Fu hustle censored in USA?" , posted Wed 27 Apr 00:53:post reply

quote:
Shaolin Soccer was censored? If so what was censored?

I doubt kung-fu hustle was censored - remember, shaolin soccer was released by MIRAMAX, a studio notorious for delaying, editing the hell out of, and then delaying some more, of their international properties. recently, miramax also did a hack job with hero (lol jet-li with a katana on the movie poster).

thankfully, sony picture classics is distributing kung-fu hustle (SPC also released house of flying daggers and crouching tiger, hidden dragon), and with their given track record, I don't think anything was cut.

REMEMBER: this is all pure speculation on my behalf, going on assumptions of previous releases.

in any case, go watch this movie NOW. it was freakin' great.

ABOUT MIRAMAX'S SHAOLIN SOCCER: I never saw the US release (thankfully), but from what I heard, about 30-40 minutes were cut, including the flashback sequence in the beginning with the coach.

[this message was edited by threesixtee on Wed 27 Apr 00:55]

beto
854th Post

"Re(3):Kung Fu hustle censored in USA?" , posted Wed 27 Apr 00:58post reply

quote:

ABOUT MIRAMAX'S SHAOLIN SOCCER: I never saw the US release (thankfully), but from what I heard, about 30-40 minutes were cut, including the flashback sequence in the beginning with the coach.

They also changed a couple songs and... dubbed it.

Click
578th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(4):Kung Fu hustle censored in USA?" , posted Wed 27 Apr 01:37post reply

quote:

They also changed a couple songs and... dubbed it.

It was never dubbed, thankfully. That was the original plan, but that idea got trashed. [What a fucking release story SS has... Jesus. Dubbed wide release with potential title change, to delays ad infinitum, and back to subtitled version with original title, and small scale distribution.]

I'm not sure about the music or anything being cut...

But it was the original release version, not the extended cut. Something still may have been snipped, though. Not sure.

And the movie also had corny digital sign translations. [Signs on buildings were translated into English.]

Everyone who wants to read about Miramax's evil doings should pick up Down and Dirty Pictures.

As for Kung Fu Hustle... I could have sworn there was a very small something cut from the release, but I cannot remember.

exodus
2592th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(5):Kung Fu hustle censored in USA?" , posted Wed 27 Apr 01:47post reply

so, you're all in luck - I saw the movie on sunday in the theatre, then on bootleg DVD with my girlfriend on monday - nothing significant has changed. The subs are very slightly different (actually the theatrical subs add a couple of laughs that way), and two sprays of blood were removed (I think?? It may just be that I didn't notice them!?) but that's it.

Pretty good release, all told.

Spoon
906th Post

"Re(6):Kung Fu hustle censored in USA?" , posted Wed 27 Apr 04:18post reply

quote:
so, you're all in luck - I saw the movie on sunday in the theatre, then on bootleg DVD with my girlfriend on monday - nothing significant has changed. The subs are very slightly different (actually the theatrical subs add a couple of laughs that way), and two sprays of blood were removed (I think?? It may just be that I didn't notice them!?) but that's it.

Pretty good release, all told.

As all localizations are, some things are added and some things are removed in the subtitles. The bootleg DVD subs are actually quite good.

It should be noted that the movie's name in chinese is just "Kung Fu." "Kung Fu Hustle" is a good sounding name, though.

exodus
2598th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(7):Kung Fu hustle censored in USA?" , posted Wed 27 Apr 04:41post reply

I think they added the hustle to explain the dancing...

Spoon
910th Post

"Re(8):Kung Fu hustle censored in USA?" , posted Wed 27 Apr 05:20post reply

quote:
I think they added the hustle to explain the dancing...

It fits with the frentic comedic style of the movie, at least.

aderack
115th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(8):Kung Fu hustle censored in USA?" , posted Wed 27 Apr 06:20post reply

For the record: Shaolin Soccer, when Miramax got it, was originally dubbed and chopped-up; Harvey Weinstein delayed it, undubbed it, and added footage back in.

So. People here don't know what they're talking about. Ha ho.

EricJonRösselWaugh
YOU CANNOT STOP ME WITH JUST A PARAMECIUM!

kyo717
151th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(9):Kung Fu hustle censored in USA?" , posted Wed 27 Apr 07:11post reply

I didn't know Miramax had that kind of track record. I just bought thier domestic release of Infernal Affairs and was pretty impressed. Properly subbed and actors credited with thier current names (Elva Hsiao instead of Elva Siu). Default language was on Cantonese but had optional English track. I didn't like how they translated the english track though. I guess it's more western style dialouge but kinda weird since he didn't match the nicely translated subs. They used the orginal covers and had nice extra such as the making of and interviews with the cast. I'm pretty happy with this classic release.

Maou
587th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(9):Kung Fu hustle censored in USA?" , posted Wed 27 Apr 07:25post reply

quote:
For the record: Shaolin Soccer, when Miramax got it, was originally dubbed and chopped-up; Harvey Weinstein delayed it, undubbed it, and added footage back in.

Hmm, what do you mean? I doubt that Shaolin Soccer just traversed the globe and appeared on Weinstein's doorstep dubbed and chopped-up. Someone did the edit work, and I doubt Miramax would hire someone else to edit their movies for them, but who?

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

threesixtee
861th Post

"Re(9):Kung Fu hustle censored in USA?" , posted Thu 28 Apr 02:46post reply

quote:

that doesn't explain why hero was delayed/edited/delayed/edited, the released with bullshit "quentin tarantino presents" in the title.

Baines
66th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(5):Kung Fu hustle censored in USA?" , posted Thu 28 Apr 03:14post reply

quote:
It was never dubbed, thankfully. That was the original plan, but that idea got trashed.

Actually, it was dubbed and editted. Then delayed again. Then the dubbing was removed. I've read the subtitles are based off the dub job, but don't remember enough from seeing it to recall. I do remember not thinking too much of the subtitle job though.

The US DVD includes the "Original Chinese Version" in addition to the "Exclusive English Dubbed U.S. Version" (quotes are from the back of the box).

Grahf
381th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(6):Kung Fu hustle censored in USA?" , posted Tue 3 May 12:17post reply

I really enjoyed this movie. Even better than Shaolin Soccer, in my opinion. Something about Stephen Chow's endings are very satisfying.

I was really pleased that the audience in the theater I saw it in enjoyed the movie too. I was afraid that people wouldn't "get it". Instead, the theater was nearly full and everyone was laughing along with it the whole length of the movie.

When I saw Hero at the same place, several people walked out a few minutes into the movie; one person was already on their cell phone complaining that the movie was in Chinese.

Click
584th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(7):Kung Fu hustle censored in USA?" , posted Sun 8 May 00:58post reply

quote:
I really enjoyed this movie. Even better than Shaolin Soccer, in my opinion. Something about Stephen Chow's endings are very satisfying.

That's the one thing about KF that was really weird... The whole love story bit seemed kinda unnecessary, but I didn't really care because the whole thing was just so over-the-top. Though I guess it wasn't so needless on second thought...

quote:

When I saw Hero at the same place, several people walked out a few minutes into the movie; one person was already on their cell phone complaining that the movie was in Chinese.

I would die.

VManOfMana
602th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(10):Kung Fu hustle censored in USA?" , posted Mon 9 May 01:01post reply

quote:

that doesn't explain why hero was delayed/edited/delayed/edited, the released with bullshit "quentin tarantino presents" in the title.

Quentin Tarantino managed to have the movie not being dubbed.

Jabel D. Morales - VMan of Mana.
http://vman.animecafe.net/

"Tameraeba makeyo!"

crazymike
1110th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member+

"Re(2):Re(10):Kung Fu hustle censored in USA?" , posted Mon 9 May 13:43post reply

quote:

Quentin Tarantino managed to have the movie not being dubbed.

And I seriously doubt it is Tarantino's idea either to have "Quentin Tarantino presents..." its just marketers cashing off his name to help sell it to American audiences.