Replies:

Cain Highwind
537th Post

user profileedit/delete message

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(1):Zelda" , posted Fri 22 Apr 16:18post reply

quote:
Some kind of new Zelda info

Cool Stuff. I have the feeling the "uber large world" may be an exxageration for hype purposes. But the rest of it sounds great!

Ishmael
1960th Post

Gold Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(2):Zelda" , posted Fri 22 Apr 22:06post reply

For starters, The Legend of Zelda for GameCube promises some 70 hours of gameplay spread across a world eclipsing that of The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time.

Yeesh, I hope that time estimate includes a lot of optional subquests, otherwise that would be an exhausting game to play.

Time Mage
2099th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(3):Zelda" , posted Fri 22 Apr 23:42post reply

quote:
For starters, The Legend of Zelda for GameCube promises some 70 hours of gameplay spread across a world eclipsing that of The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time.

Well, the info comes from Hobby Consolas, the most popular (and less professional and/or objective) game magazine in Spain, so even if the direct info taken from the demos has to be true, all kind of estimation of size (both in time and space) will be probably an exaggeration of the article's author.

Cain Highwind
541th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Scans!" , posted Sat 23 Apr 11:42post reply

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1488223&postcount=6

WARNING to 56k'ers. Large Scans ahead.

Shin_ATproof
1170th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member+

"Re(1):Scans!" , posted Sun 24 Apr 05:44post reply

LOL wow...those scans look really cool. IIRC the release for this title is supposed to be this year right? Heh, if so...I'm so gonna pre-order the first day.

Anyway...about the whole "70 hours of gameplay" even if that has some truth to it then that includes factors like: Sidequests, getting lost, minigames...you could probably estimate that the game would then be around 30 hours for a basis run without the other aformentioned factors....and somewhere around 30 hours.

That would still be a very long Zelda game....

Sí mon con langosta y camarón

Baines
65th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(1):Zelda" , posted Sun 24 Apr 06:52post reply

Is it just me, or is anyone else finding their anticipation decreasing with each new bit of Zelda information?

People loved the "blades will bleed" movie, but on a second watch, all you really get is an art change. Link still used the Wind Waker combat engine, including the pauses with every hit. The forest scene looked great at first, but there really isn't much "forest" there, looking like a higher res Ocarina scene. People thrilled at horse combat, but all you see is Link just swinging his sword to knock down nearby enemies.

The second video got people again with graphics, and the apparent return of the Goriya. But it doesn't show that the engine is any better than OoT/WW, or that the design philosophies behind the game are any better.

The IGN link mentions a much larger gameworld than OoT, but is anyone else imagining it will still be as barren and empty as the OoT gameworld? Several of the overworld pictures sure look wide and barren. The village areas also look quite large but fairly empty (reminding me of the starting village of OoT.)

I admit, I don't have much faith in Nintendo when it comes to Zelda. They are too blindly locked into formula. And while pretty, they haven't shown me anything that says that they've actually improved anything at all other than OoT's graphics.

Shin_ATproof
1171th Post

"Re(2):Zelda" , posted Sun 24 Apr 07:42post reply

See thats a Catch 22 for developers...

Windwaker basically just improved the OoT/MM gameplay but then there were just some people that couldn't give the game a chance because of the change in art style.

Those very same people do a 180 by freaking out about the "real" 'adult' Link acting as if everything about the gameplay is totally revamped and not just the art or graphics style.

Now there are people that were indifferent to the art/graphics of the last game complain now that there seems to be no real innovation in the gameplay, just a change in graphics and scale of the gameplay.

Personally...I don't care if this new Zelda is just a bigger and prettier OoT. I just happy that there is a new Zelda coming out for the Gamecube. Since Zelda and Metroid were the primary reasons I got my GC...everything else that comes on the system is just a pleasant addition.

Mozex
308th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(3):Zelda" , posted Mon 25 Apr 02:45post reply

quote:
See thats a Catch 22 for developers...

Windwaker basically just improved the OoT/MM gameplay but then there were just some people that couldn't give the game a chance because of the change in art style.

Those very same people do a 180 by freaking out about the "real" 'adult' Link acting as if everything about the gameplay is totally revamped and not just the art or graphics style.

Now there are people that were indifferent to the art/graphics of the last game complain now that there seems to be no real innovation in the gameplay, just a change in graphics and scale of the gameplay.

Personally...I don't care if this new Zelda is just a bigger and prettier OoT. I just happy that there is a new Zelda coming out for the Gamecube. Since Zelda and Metroid were the primary reasons I got my GC...everything else that comes on the system is just a pleasant addition.

Let me get this straight. You don't care how the graphics look, and you don't care if the gameplay is as bad as WW. What the do you care about? There must be some point at which you can admit to yourself that a bad game has been made.

Be kind to goblins.

Grahf
375th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(4):Zelda" , posted Mon 25 Apr 04:40post reply

I really can't understand how people could have complaints about Windwaker's gameplay. Improvements are always welcome, of course, but I don't think there's anything that has to be "fixed".

Besides, I don't think we've seen nearly enough of this game to make judgements about anything except graphics.

Shin_ATproof
1173th Post

"Re(4):Zelda" , posted Mon 25 Apr 04:53:post reply

quote:
Let me get this straight. You don't care how the graphics look, and you don't care if the gameplay is as bad as WW. What the do you care about? There must be some point at which you can admit to yourself that a bad game has been made.

Let me make it perfectly clear for you...

I have never been disappointed by the way a Zelda game looked or played (ofcourse I'm not counting the CDi games!) seriously, not once...EVER.

To me...WindWaker looked amazing, so bright, colorful and animated, it was as if I could touch the clouds and taste the goddamned rainbows.The sheer scale of sailing the the seas and finding new islands to explore touched my adventerous side deeply like a creepy childmolesting uncle.

This new Zelda looks amazing as well. As if the ideas left behind in the Ocarina of Time were added to a more powerful system and experienced team.

It is clear that you'll most likely not agree with my statement that WindWaker had excellent gameplay and graphics. From the exploration aspect to the the fighting engine the game, I loved it just as much as every goddamned Zelda game before it(not counting the crappy CDi games).

So I crap on your comment and kick some dirt on it...and I'll leave it at that for the moment.

[this message was edited by Shin_ATproof on Mon 25 Apr 04:55]

Hungrywolf
3026th Post

"Re(5):Zelda" , posted Mon 25 Apr 09:27post reply

quote:

Let me make it perfectly clear for you...

I have never been disappointed by the way a Zelda game looked or played (ofcourse I'm not counting the CDi games!) seriously, not once...EVER.

To me...WindWaker looked amazing, so bright, colorful and animated, it was as if I could touch the clouds and taste the goddamned rainbows.The sheer scale of sailing the the seas and finding new islands to explore touched my adventerous side deeply like a creepy childmolesting uncle.

This new Zelda looks amazing as well. As if the ideas left behind in the Ocarina of Time were added to a more powerful system and experienced team.

It is clear that you'll most likely not agree with my statement that WindWaker had excellent gameplay and graphics. From the exploration aspect to the the fighting engine the game, I loved it just as much as every goddamned Zelda game before it(not counting the crappy CDi games).

So I crap on your comment and kick some dirt on it...and I'll leave it at that for the moment.

Wow, that sums up how I feel about all Zelda games and Wind Waker in particular. I loved that game! I played through it twice and probably will again before this new one comes out. Those were wonderful and wise words, friend.

Hungry Like the Wolf

Mozex
309th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(5):Zelda" , posted Mon 25 Apr 14:41post reply

quote:
It is clear that you'll most likely not agree with my statement that WindWaker had excellent gameplay and graphics.

Which is correct, I think WW has excellent graphics.

It's fine to be excited about the next game in a series you've enjoyed, but your ealier post came across as "I will like it because it has Zelda in the title".

Be kind to goblins.

Shin_ATproof
1174th Post

"Re(6):Zelda" , posted Mon 25 Apr 15:13post reply

quote:

It's fine to be excited about the next game in a series you've enjoyed, but your ealier post came across as "I will like it because it has Zelda in the title".

And your earlier post came off as the retort of a pompous condescending asswipe that insinuated that I'm mentally inept in determining what I like or don't, let alone the mere opining of what is or isn't a good game.

Time Mage
2102th Post

"Re(7):Zelda" , posted Tue 26 Apr 00:48post reply

I personally only want one thing in this Zelda: More difficulty. I don't want this to become a Ninja Gaiden, Viewtiful Joe or a Devil May Cry in therms of difficulty, but at least let the enemies do more than 1/4 heart of damage per attack, and don't make healing items so abundant. Also, faeries should only restore 4-5 hearts, reviving is good enough.

More lenght (specially more dungeons) should be great, but what I really, really miss is the difficulty: OoT was easy, but WW was TOO easy. And I loved both, mind you, but that's a great flaw in recent Zelda games.

Mozex
310th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(7):Zelda" , posted Tue 26 Apr 14:17post reply

quote:
And your earlier post came off as the retort of a pompous condescending asswipe that insinuated that I'm mentally inept in determining what I like or don't, let alone the mere opining of what is or isn't a good game.

Oh not at all.

I was insinuating you were mentally inept because I didn't see any reason why you thought the new Zelda would be good other that because it had 'Zelda' in the title. You second post cleared things up nicely.

Be kind to goblins.

Mozex
311th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(8):Zelda" , posted Tue 26 Apr 14:23post reply

quote:
what I really, really miss is the difficulty

Go back and play the original Zelda. Other than the second quest the game isn't particularly hard, but I know it was a challenge back in the day. I've never played OOT so I can't compare it's difficulty to WW, but I imagine if I was eight I would find a good challenge there.

Be kind to goblins.

Shin_ATproof
1176th Post

"Re(8):Zelda" , posted Tue 26 Apr 16:25:post reply

quote:

I was insinuating you were mentally inept because I didn't see any reason why you thought the new Zelda would be good other that because it had 'Zelda' in the title. You second post cleared things up nicely.

Too bad for you, your argument doesn't hold water since nothing in my post implied what you insist I stated. So I still don't see a reason for you being an ass. Because I could care less what appears to be rehashed to others or if the graphics aren't to another persons liking...That I'm just happy that there is a new Zelda for me to play on my GC...zOMFG how dare I disagree with others and want a new Zelda game on a system I payed for!?!?

Edit: And even if I did say the game is great just because it has Zelda in the title, you would still out of line with your comments.

[this message was edited by Shin_ATproof on Tue 26 Apr 16:34]

Mosquiton
1599th Post

Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(2):Zelda" , posted Tue 26 Apr 22:22post reply

quote:
Is it just me, or is anyone else finding their anticipation decreasing with each new bit of Zelda information?

I admit, I don't have much faith in Nintendo when it comes to Zelda. They are too blindly locked into formula. And while pretty, they haven't shown me anything that says that they've actually improved anything at all other than OoT's graphics.

I wouldn't say that I was skeptical from the start, but very few game announcements get me really psyched on principle alone.

So my anticipation has been riding along at a nice even level. I don't doubt that the game will be technically solid, and that I can get a good bit of enjoyment out of it even if it's familiar and formulaic.

I'm still open to the possibility that it'll rock my face, though. Best not to put too much thought into it just yet.

/ / /

Time Mage
2103th Post

"Re(9):Zelda" , posted Wed 27 Apr 06:01post reply

quote:
what I really, really miss is the difficulty

Go back and play the original Zelda. Other than the second quest the game isn't particularly hard, but I know it was a challenge back in the day. I've never played OOT so I can't compare it's difficulty to WW, but I imagine if I was eight I would find a good challenge there.

You're missing my point. I do know that the first Zelda titles were more difficult than the last ones, but I want a *new* Zelda and I want it if not somewhat difficult, at least not stupidly easy.

The "if you want difficulty go play the first games" argument isn't valid at all, I want a challenge in the new games, and I'll play the old ones also, but not because that's the only refuge for a challenge I can find.

Grahf
377th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(10):Zelda" , posted Wed 27 Apr 06:04post reply

quote:
The "if you want difficulty go play the first games" argument isn't valid at all, I want a challenge in the new games, and I'll play the old ones also, but not because that's the only refuge for a challenge I can find.

I think he was saying that even the first games weren't that difficult. I happen to think that Zelda 2 is still extremely tough. Also, even if the first games were easy, that doesn't mean you can't hope for the new ones to be hard.

Spoon
913th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(2):Re(10):Zelda" , posted Wed 27 Apr 06:12post reply

quote:
I think he was saying that even the first games weren't that difficult. I happen to think that Zelda 2 is still extremely tough. Also, even if the first games were easy, that doesn't mean you can't hope for the new ones to be hard.

Zelda 2 has 3 departments of difficulty:
- figuring where hell to go/what the hell to do
- platforming
- fighting

part 1 is done once you've beaten the game. Some stuff is not too easy the first time, like finding the fake wall in the green dungeon.

part 2 has frustration potential, but if you are ever in real trouble, you can use either Jump or Fairy. Fairy is expensive, but dispenses with all platforming.

part 3 is EASY once you learn the jumping scrape. I remember the first time I played with somebody's complete save, and said, "that downstab is cool." So when I started a new game, I tried to do it... but couldn't. Instead, I found that if you hold down and press attack while jumping, Link will do his crouch slash while in the air. The advantage to this is that against any enemy with a shield, since you are dropping while doing the slash, your sword will go over both the high and low hit areas. If you don't, no worries; they block it and get pushed back. Just keep advancing at them with this, and they'll die. Not useful against some enemies, but free win against anything else. Plus, it lets you jump and evade stuff while still being able to hit enemies that would normally be hard to hit with a jumping normal slash.

For some reason, I beat that game many, many times on my NES. I found it fun.

Time Mage
2104th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):Zelda" , posted Wed 27 Apr 07:15post reply

Anyay, even if the first ones were not that difficult, they're HELL compared to OoT, Majora's, and WW difficulty, which is, I repeat, depressingly low. And I repeat, I don't want ultra-high difficulty, all I want is something that requieres at least both my eyes open.

VariantX
251th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(3):Re(10):Zelda" , posted Wed 27 Apr 10:24post reply

I'm currently playing through windwaker and I am really enjoying it. The dungeons though are WAAYYY too easy to get through. The first dungeon is probably harder than all the others since what to do isnt completely crystal clear like the ones after it.

Sensenic
1289th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(2):Zelda" , posted Wed 27 Apr 15:47post reply

quote:

People loved the "blades will bleed" movie, but on a second watch, all you really get is an art change.

Well, about that... Spanish link

According to this, there'll be a very misterious important item (another Ocarina, Wand or whatever I guess), the fishing minigame'll probably be back, and, that's the new thing, Link will be able to talk to animals (Well, I guess that the novelty is in the fact that the animals will answer ^_^').

-Duh- o_O There goes the "mature looking" thing.

So adorable... Gluttony

Nihon mo ingenmame wo tsukurimasu Jan

Cain Highwind
543th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"More Scans" , posted Thu 28 Apr 03:00post reply

This time from EGM

EGM Cover
Scan 1
Scan 2
Scan 3
Link Art
Fishing is back!

Scan 6
Scan 7
Scan 8
Scan 9
Zelda art
Scan 10
Scan 11
Scan 12
Scan 13
Scan 14
Scan 15

Mozex
312th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(10):Zelda" , posted Thu 28 Apr 15:52post reply

quote:

I'm sorry, my argument was intended to be "Zelda games have never been hard". That must have gotten lost somehow in my ramblings about the second quest.

While I don't expect Nintedo to suddenly change that formula a make a hard Zelda game it would be nice to have a difficulty option or something to optionally inflate the difficulty.

Be kind to goblins.

Time Mage
2106th Post

"Re(1):More Scans" , posted Thu 28 Apr 17:08post reply

Hm, they look good. And I'm glad to see cucko flying back.

nobinobita
21th Post

New Customer

"Re(1):More Scans" , posted Thu 28 Apr 19:51:post reply

I'm actually warming up to the new look more and more when i see it. At first i was afraid that they really were just giving in to fan pressure to make a more "mature" looking game, but even if that is the case they are doing it right. The new look of the game is pretty interesting, and actually kinda reminds me of Berserk (the Manga) in alot of ways. Something about the concept art and overall design of the characters and monsters and armour reminds me of Miura's work.

The new link kinda looks like Serpico (or is it the other way around?).

Anyway, it's certainly got a good, well developed style to it that's leagues above other generic high fantasy type games.

On a related note, anyone who loved Wind Waker should check out this link:

http://www.toei-anim.co.jp/lineup/movie/wanpaku/

It's an info page on an old Toei Doga movie from the 60s, which i think was the inspiration for Wind Waker's unique look.

[this message was edited by nobinobita on Thu 28 Apr 19:53]

shin ramberk
107th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(2):Re(10):Zelda" , posted Fri 29 Apr 00:24post reply

quote:

I'm sorry, my argument was intended to be "Zelda games have never been hard". That must have gotten lost somehow in my ramblings about the second quest.

While I don't expect Nintedo to suddenly change that formula a make a hard Zelda game it would be nice to have a difficulty option or something to optionally inflate the difficulty.

I am such an old fart. I thought all the Zeldas were tough except the first and third ones. Zelda 2 terrifies me. Damn that game was fugging complicated and difficult gameplay. AGH!!!!

Zelda 3 was fun. Period

Ocarina is not difficult but some of the puzzles and bosses did frustrate me. Never played Majora's mask or WW. I have mixed feelings about WW. Some people totally hate the gameplay but some other people totally love it-- weird.

Suffice it to say, I think I've been a casual gamer for a long time now and Nintendo has probably developed the right 'formula' for difficulty in their games. I mean, there are a lot of extra challenges that should keep the hardcore gamers busy in these games. Like collecting the Skulltulas in Ocarina. Thats just my opinion though.

Now I go back to being a casual gamer. Sigh sigh sigh.

Go buy the new Warlock series by Marvel. It is good support this title!