First shot of a next gen title - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (3627 Views )

Fuchikoma
1254th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Red Carpet Executive Member

"First shot of a next gen title" , posted Tue 19 Apr 13:53post reply

It's Madden '06... and they aren't being specific on which of the next gen hardware this is taken from. They'll be posting a new shot every day until Saturday when they'll be having a 60 second preview during NFL Draft on ESPN.

Booyah

Replies:

mbisonhatclub
83th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(1):First shot of a next gen title" , posted Tue 19 Apr 20:57post reply

Go play real football

join the m.bison hat club today
i'm not just the president i'm also a client

Ishmael
1954th Post

Gold Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(2):First shot of a next gen title" , posted Tue 19 Apr 22:18post reply

Only the power of the most modern and cutting edge technology could produce nostrils like that.

OmegaDog
1494th Post

"Re(3):First shot of a next gen title" , posted Wed 20 Apr 00:52:post reply

quote:
Only the power of the most modern and cutting edge technology could produce nostrils like that.

For me, though, they're not really next-gen graphics until his nose hairs are IN YOUR FACE.

SO... IT'S FLITZ TIME EVERYBODY! | CCT: NEXT STAGE IS 20

[this message was edited by OmegaDog on Wed 20 Apr 00:54]

legalstep
78th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(1):First shot of a next gen title" , posted Wed 20 Apr 02:41post reply

Stupid EA why don't they just make good games instead of hyping up mediocre ones. Of course Madden is tne premier football title, but that's because it is the only one.

Here's hoping there is a special EA Stars team with unlockable Sean Connery and Catwoman players.

Fuchikoma
1255th Post

"Re(2):First shot of a next gen title" , posted Wed 20 Apr 05:39post reply

quote:
Of course Madden is tne premier football title, but that's because it is the only one.

Sega Sports? Even though they lost the ESPN license, I'm sure VK will be putting out a new football title. Personally I've always liked Sega's football games since the DC days.

Anyway I noticed they claim this Madden will be photorealistic... but just look at the face guard in that first picture... far from looking like the real thing. As for the hardware this is running on... I'm guessing it must be the next X-box since the ratio is for high def... and all X-box 2/360 games will be in high def.

legalstep
80th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(3):First shot of a next gen title" , posted Wed 20 Apr 06:54post reply

quote:
As for the hardware this is running on... I'm guessing it must be the next X-box since the ratio is for high def... and all X-box 2/360 games will be in high def.

Well didn't you hear. Xbox360 will usher in the HDERA, so that seems fitting. I still don't have any frothing demand for this game.

And I think Sega is done with sports now.

Iggy
6342th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(4):First shot of a next gen title" , posted Wed 20 Apr 08:53post reply

quote:
For me, though, they're not really next-gen graphics until his nose hairs are IN YOUR FACE.

If there is one thing the next generation needs to bring to us, it's more realistic hair shadding.
Kraig Marduck is the current maximum pilosity model, and it's clearly not enough for my needs.

ガラハド  「ねんがんの アイスソードをてにいれたぞ!」
  :そう かんけいないね
   メ几
→ :木又してでも うばいとる
  :ゆずってくれ たのむ!!

DarkZero
1202th Post

"Re(5):First shot of a next gen title" , posted Wed 20 Apr 12:55post reply

quote:

If there is one thing the next generation needs to bring to us, it's more realistic hair shadding.
Kraig Marduck is the current maximum pilosity model, and it's clearly not enough for my needs.

Demonstrating the power of next gen hardware with a football game is like demonstrating an IMAX theater with Meet The Fokkers. What a total waste.

Fuchikoma
1261th Post

"commercial is up" , posted Sun 24 Apr 03:24post reply

You can download the commercial from the website... can't say that I'm overly impressed. It's hard to tell if any of it is actually in game footage... it just looks like a fmv.

afrojesus
16th Post

New Customer

"Re(6):First shot of a next gen title" , posted Sun 24 Apr 06:05post reply

quote:
Demonstrating the power of next gen hardware with a football game is like demonstrating an IMAX theater with Meet The Fokkers. What a total waste.

until you realize that 2/3rds of the mainstream audience(ie...the ones that spend the majority of money on games) can appreciate a "more realistic" looking sports title(especially one with the name Madden tagged on).

hence why they went with this demonstration instead of some goofy cel shaded pastel colored strat rpg from japan(ie...a niche title).

it's all about the money that the mainstream audience is going to spend on the system, not what the niche(anime/strat rpg/fighting game) audience is going to do. that's why you'll see more and more "nextgen" titles that are sports, or standard action-adventure fluff getting hyped up over the upcoming months.

it's sad, but true. you guys need to realize that you aren't in the majority, and the industry(however retarded it seems) doesnt cater to you; but to the people who will buy the 9million different sequels to a subpar series.

so, to sum this up? ea hype = great for the system as a whole(which is good for us in the long run).

why?

because if a sports game can look THAT good, imagine what someone with a shitload of talent can do with the systems' resources.

shin ramberk
103th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(7):First shot of a next gen title" , posted Sun 24 Apr 06:18post reply

quote:

until you realize that 2/3rds of the mainstream audience(ie...the ones that spend the majority of money on games) can appreciate a "more realistic" looking sports title(especially one with the name Madden tagged on).

hence why they went with this demonstration instead of some goofy cel shaded pastel colored strat rpg from japan(ie...a niche title).

it's all about the money that the mainstream audience is going to spend on the system, not what the niche(anime/strat rpg/fighting game) audience is going to do. that's why you'll see more and more "nextgen" titles that are sports, or standard action-adventure fluff getting hyped up over the upcoming months.

it's sad, but true. you guys need to realize that you aren't in the majority, and the industry(however retarded it seems) doesnt cater to you; but to the people who will buy the 9million different sequels to a subpar series.

so, to sum this up? ea hype = great for the system as a whole(which is good for us in the long run).

why?

because if a sports game can look THAT good, imagine what someone with a shitload of talent can do with the systems' resources.

Uh we already knew this. we're just a group of crotchety old farts that love to bellyache about the mainstream. this is the mutha@#$&ing madman's cafe afterall!

I know your just trying to make a point. But yeah.

Go buy the new Warlock series by Marvel. It is good support this title!

Fuchikoma
1265th Post

"Re(8):First shot of a next gen title" , posted Sun 24 Apr 07:21post reply

I'm not saying that Madden should have cartoony graphics or anything... but for them to say this is a photo-realistic game is an absolute joke. While it looks nice... it's pretty pale compared to Half-Life 2 and Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory... which aren't even on next gen hardware.

Here's hoping that Sega will make a football game that really pushes the graphics to the next level.

DarkZero
1208th Post

"Re(7):First shot of a next gen title" , posted Sun 24 Apr 07:34post reply

quote:

I know it's fun to be incredibly cynical and pretend that nothing but sports games sell in the United States, but millions of copies of Soul Calibur, Splinter Cell, Halo, Metal Gear Solid, and Grand Theft Auto have been sold in the United States, all of them have claimed the number one spot in the US for weeks at a time, and all of them would show off next gen hardware much better than a football game. Millions of copies of the DVD of Meet The Fokkers are being sold right now, but that doesn't mean that something like The Matrix or Aliens of the Deep isn't more appropriate for an IMAX theater than Meet The Fokkers is.

Next gen systems should be shown off the same way Nintendo showed off the GameCube with the Zelda demo. Something flashy with swords clashing, sparks flying, torches and candles being swung around, that sort of thing. Something that can really show all of the special effects that the system is capable of, not just how poorly it can render a human face or a bunch of guys in uniforms and helmets moving around a field of green and white.

crazymike
1100th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member+

"Re(8):First shot of a next gen title" , posted Sun 24 Apr 10:36post reply

While I don't like EA or football games, Meet the Fokkers is still better than the Matrix sequels.

deisied
312th Post

Bronze Customer

"Next Gen" , posted Sun 24 Apr 15:51post reply

Well, mostly unrelated! But...

http://www.image-upload.org/images/VlI5kf.jpg

KTallguy
607th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(1):First shot of a next gen title" , posted Sun 24 Apr 16:25post reply

quote:
It's Madden '06... and they aren't being specific on which of the next gen hardware this is taken from. They'll be posting a new shot every day until Saturday when they'll be having a 60 second preview during NFL Draft on ESPN.

''Gamespy''

"The event kicked off with a brief presentation by Jeremy Strauser, the senior producer of Madden Next-Gen, who, knowing that we were practically salivating to see the video, kept things mercifully brief. He began by answering the big question of the night. The video that we'd be watching wasn't from the game itself, it was a pre-rendered interpretation of what the next-generation could look like. This was a bit disappointing, as we've all seen pre-rendered movies before, but he assured us that the real thing would actually look better. People, he said, are used to seeing early cinematics and being underwhelmed by the actual game when it's released, but it will be quite the opposite this time around."

hmm... =P

"手前がやくぶそくなんだよ!"

DarkZero
1210th Post

"Re(2):First shot of a next gen title" , posted Sun 24 Apr 17:03post reply

quote:
People, he said, are used to seeing early cinematics and being underwhelmed by the actual game when it's released, but it will be quite the opposite this time around."

hmm... =P

"We've let you down in this past, you just found out five seconds ago that we lied to you and dragged you here under false pretenses, and we're already performing well under your expectations, but we promise that we won't do it again! Just like we did last time!"

deisied
313th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(3):First shot of a next gen title" , posted Mon 25 Apr 03:46post reply

Thank god that wasn't real time, I don't want to play any game that looks like that.

Ishmael
1965th Post

Gold Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(2):First shot of a next gen title" , posted Mon 25 Apr 05:49post reply

quote:

''Gamespy''

"The event kicked off with a brief presentation by Jeremy Strauser, the senior producer of Madden Next-Gen, who, knowing that we were practically salivating to see the video, kept things mercifully brief. He began by answering the big question of the night. The video that we'd be watching wasn't from the game itself, it was a pre-rendered interpretation of what the next-generation could look like. This was a bit disappointing, as we've all seen pre-rendered movies before, but he assured us that the real thing would actually look better. People, he said, are used to seeing early cinematics and being underwhelmed by the actual game when it's released, but it will be quite the opposite this time around."

hmm... =P

So they are hoping to sell the game based on players being pleasantly surprised that the game itself looks better than the crummy promo footage? Brilliant! I wonder if this was an intentional bait and switch or if the actual footage from the game wasn't coming together as they had hoped, forcing them to run with this instead?

KTallguy
608th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(3):First shot of a next gen title" , posted Mon 25 Apr 22:34post reply

The best part is...

"The Programmers are MAD! The real game is going to look better than THAT~!"

Show us the real game then... ?

"手前がやくぶそくなんだよ!"

legalstep
85th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(4):First shot of a next gen title" , posted Tue 26 Apr 08:04post reply

First the need to overwork them some more. I can't wait for in depth analysis from 1up.com about how this Madden will change my life forever.

I actually do like to watch football on tv, but playing a console football game is an exercise in futility until it's updated next year.

Undead Fred
2339th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(2):First shot of a next gen title" , posted Tue 26 Apr 18:48post reply

quote:
''Gamespy''

Yeah, I was watching that little pre-rendered promo... I love how they kept putting fake menus over the pre-rendered videos as if the game will really look like that... and if it does actually look like that or better, then all you have is a pretty football game (and DarkZero's right- there are plenty of non-sports games that are top sellers in the US with people that aren't necessarily "niche gamers").

But anyway, are those other screens at the GameSpy site the actual in-game shots? They look really crappy so far (considering how AMAAAAAZING the new XBox is supposed to be)... they look more like current-generation graphics, but with a bit higher poly count. That's all. I would have thought they wouldn't really need to use stand-ins for the shadows on this new generation anymore, but I guess that's just for the sake of higher poly counts or something. I guess I'm just saying that there's a pretty significant difference between that goofy pre-rendered video and those screens after it so far... assuming that's the real game, of course.