DBZ Sparking - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (5273 Views )

Iggy
6334th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"DBZ Sparking" , posted Mon 18 Apr 23:39:post reply

For the hillbillies around there, official site of the 4th DBZ game on PS2, still edited by Bandai.

The interesting detail here is that the game will be developped by Spike, and not Dimps. Well, at least it's an interesting detail for thoses like me who were worrying about Dimps developing a new game every two month.

ガラハド  「ねんがんの アイスソードをてにいれたぞ!」
  :そう かんけいないね
   メ几
→ :木又してでも うばいとる
  :ゆずってくれ たのむ!!

[this message was edited by Iggy on Tue 19 Apr 01:26]

Replies:

Mosquiton
1591th Post

Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(1):DBZ Sparking" , posted Tue 19 Apr 00:23post reply

Spike sent me an email about this. Good ol' Spike.

/ / /

Burning Ranger
1169th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member+

"Re(1):DBZ Sparking" , posted Tue 19 Apr 03:42post reply

quote:
For the hillbillies around there, official site of the 4th DBZ game on PS2, still edited by Bandai.

The interesting detail here is that the game will be developped by Spike, and not Dimps. Well, at least it's an interesting detail for thoses like me who were worrying about Dimps developing a new game every two month.

Is this going to be Budokai 4? Goddamn... do people buy this stuff?

Advanced Cyborg E. Branger AKA Burning Ranger

"The war is over the fight is just beginning..."

DarkZero
1200th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(2):DBZ Sparking" , posted Tue 19 Apr 04:28post reply

quote:

A family member got me the original Budokai as sort of a gag gift, but I was pretty surprised by how addicting it was. It was so good that I actually played it for six hours straight and then kept playing it in a similar fashion for the next two days until I was done with it. It had a fun, non-cheap, non-hardcore battle system, a fun story mode, and some pretty fantastic extras, like the series of "What If?" levels where the villain wins and such. In fact, the last boss is not only hilarious, but also difficult:

Spoiler (Highlight to view) -
It's a "What If?" scenario where Cell tries to absorb 18, but Kuririn pushes her out of the way and gets absorbed himself. Cell loses all of his powers and Yamcha and Tenshinhan, the pathetically weak has-been fighters, try to avenge Kuririn's "death". You play as Cell and Yamcha appears to fight like a God Of War because you're so weak! He's actually the hardest boss in the game!

End of Spoiler

If the reviews for Budokai 2 didn't say, "This is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING like the last game. Also, it sucks.", I probably would have bought the sequels.

Cain Highwind
530th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(3):DBZ Sparking" , posted Tue 19 Apr 04:41post reply

quote:

A family member got me the original Budokai as sort of a gag gift, but I was pretty surprised by how addicting it was. It was so good that I actually played it for six hours straight and then kept playing it in a similar fashion for the next two days until I was done with it. It had a fun, non-cheap, non-hardcore battle system, a fun story mode, and some pretty fantastic extras, like the series of "What If?" levels where the villain wins and such. In fact, the last boss is not only hilarious, but also difficult:

If the reviews for Budokai 2 didn't say, "This is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING like the last game. Also, it sucks.", I probably would have bought the sequels.

I recently rented Budokai 3 because a friend of mine said it was worth checking out. I haven't tried the other Budokai's yet but from what I've heard 1+2 were vertually the same gameplay wise, but 3 was completely different.

And damn I've had A LOT of fun with B3. Dragon Rushes, mad teleporting skills and Mr Satan (*ahem* I mean Hercule), who can be deadly with the right capsules equipped. Not to mention the ability to customize your fighters stats.

I wish they added a few more characters, but as I undertsand it, this is supposed to be the last Budokai game.

Gojira
1688th Post

Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(2):DBZ Sparking" , posted Tue 19 Apr 05:04post reply

quote:

No... it's SPARKING. And if not already, it's an L away from being the fruitiest DBZ title ever.

Off with your nose

Mosquiton
1592th Post

Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(3):DBZ Sparking" , posted Tue 19 Apr 05:59post reply

quote:

No... it's SPARKING. And if not already, it's an L away from being the fruitiest DBZ title ever.

The King of Sparring?

/ / /

Shingo The One
486th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(4):DBZ Sparking" , posted Tue 19 Apr 12:05post reply

quote:

The King of Sparring?

Well Iggy-san, I sure am surprised that the only true DBZ game for this year is being made by a company whom I have heard of before but never did anything special,
let alone done something as big as DBZ.And who knows if this game will be even better than DBZ Budokai 3, since the game has the one character that Budokai didn't have even though it should have, Janenba.(Man, that was long).
To cut a long story short, leave it to Japan if you want a really good game based on a manga/anime hit franchise.

There is a difference between doing it FIRST and doing it RIGHT.

Shingo The One
487th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(1):DBZ Sparking" , posted Tue 19 Apr 12:15post reply

quote:

Hey guys, Gamespot has posted a little but very interesting news update on DBZ Sparking!Here's the link of course:
www.gamespot.com/news/2005/04/18/news_6122434.html

Fuchikoma
1253th Post

"Re(5):DBZ Sparking" , posted Tue 19 Apr 12:31post reply

quote:

Well Iggy-san, I sure am surprised that the only true DBZ game for this year is being made by a company whom I have heard of before but never did anything special,
let alone done something as big as DBZ.

Does Fire Pro Wrestling ring any bells? Spike is a pretty good developer... although they did work on that yuck-fest called Crimson Tears. Anyway it couldn't possibly be any worse than DBZ Sagas... but probably not as good as Budokai 3. Budokai 3 is a fun fighting game... but it's pretty annoying that you actually have to buy special attacks and finishing moves.

threesixtee
855th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(6):DBZ Sparking" , posted Thu 21 Apr 02:53post reply

I don't know why people hate on the budokai games so much (well, I never played 1 or 2... and I didn't play the hell out of 3 until my friend had unlocked everything). but in all seriousness, DBZB3, at least, is a VERY good game. as far as licensed anime games go (whereas most suck ball), DBZB3 is just chock full of so much stuff and actual decent gameplay, that its fun. my biggest complaint is that there's no japanese language w/sub option, since I never really watched the dub, but whatever. budokai 3 is probably the second best licensed anime fighting game, next to naruto GNT3.

Iggy
6360th Post

"Re(7):DBZ Sparking" , posted Thu 21 Apr 03:09post reply

quote:
budokai 3 is probably the second best licensed anime fighting game, next to naruto GNT3.

つ"CPS3 Jojo games".

ガラハド  「ねんがんの アイスソードをてにいれたぞ!」
  :そう かんけいないね
   メ几
→ :木又してでも うばいとる
  :ゆずってくれ たのむ!!

threesixtee
856th Post

"Re(8):DBZ Sparking" , posted Thu 21 Apr 03:31post reply

quote:

つ"CPS3 Jojo games".

okay, fine third. >_<

but I never played the cps3 jojo games, well... dreamcast port... and I wasn't very good at it...

Undead Fred
2313th Post

"Re(2):DBZ Sparking" , posted Thu 21 Apr 03:58post reply

quote:

I think we know ONE person here that will be buying this...

Shingo The One
488th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(3):DBZ Sparking" , posted Thu 21 Apr 12:24post reply

quote:
I think we know ONE person here that will be buying this...

You can never be sure about anything Undead Fred.Besides, since I am forced to buy lots of games this year, who knows if this will be on the list.

Fuchikoma
1256th Post

"Phantom Dragon Dust" , posted Thu 21 Apr 12:54post reply

I was looking at the shots of Sparking today... and then I realized why it seemed so familiar... it's Phantom Dust! or a Phantom Dust clone at least. It's not so surprising though... when I played Phantom Dust I was thinking how well the game would have worked with DBZ characters... smart move by Spike.

Shin_ATproof
1165th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member+

"Re(2):DBZ Sparking" , posted Thu 21 Apr 14:26post reply

quote:

If this game is as good as Budokai 3...then yeah.

Sí mon con langosta y camarón

Undead Fred
2320th Post

"DBZ Sparkling Apple Cider" , posted Thu 21 Apr 19:19post reply

quote:

You can never be sure about anything Undead Fred. Besides, since I am forced to buy lots of games this year, who knows if this will be on the list.

Well, I just assumed that since you were so into Budokai 3 and that (at least I thought) you were a big DBZ fan, then you'd more than likely be all over this game when it comes out.

Ammadeau
1325th Post

"Re(1):Phantom Dragon Dust" , posted Thu 21 Apr 20:40post reply

quote:
I was looking at the shots of Sparking today... and then I realized why it seemed so familiar... it's Phantom Dust! or a Phantom Dust clone at least. It's not so surprising though... when I played Phantom Dust I was thinking how well the game would have worked with DBZ characters... smart move by Spike.

The director of Phantom Dust said he was currently working on another project that used the PD engine, so this could be it. I can't tell myself from the few tiny shots I've seen so far though.

Got Next - it's a gaming site I write stupid things for

Shingo The One
489th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(1):DBZ Sparkling Apple Cider" , posted Fri 22 Apr 02:45post reply

quote:

You can never be sure about anything Undead Fred. Besides, since I am forced to buy lots of games this year, who knows if this will be on the list.
Well, I just assumed that since you were so into Budokai 3 and that (at least I thought) you were a big DBZ fan, then you'd more than likely be all over this game when it comes out.

You are right Undead Fred, I used to be a big DBZ fan.But all that changed last year, when I found myself totally addicted to the greatest manga/anime franchise ever...NARUTO!!! Need I say more?

Syo
126th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(2):DBZ Sparkling Apple Cider" , posted Fri 22 Apr 07:06post reply

quote:

You are right Undead Fred, I used to be a big DBZ fan.But all that changed last year, when I found myself totally addicted to the greatest manga/anime franchise ever...NARUTO!!! Need I say more?

You need to watch more anime if your view of greatest anime/manga franchise is Naruto. Sure the manga's still going pretty well, but even the most hardcore fan must admit that the anime is steadily going downhill. There is no point in making 1 hour specials where the second half recaps the first, for that matter there is no reason for episodes to recap events from the same episode, period..!

"YO-HO! BOKU LIME!"

Fuchikoma
1257th Post

"Re(3):DBZ Sparkling Apple Cider" , posted Fri 22 Apr 08:00post reply

quote:

You need to watch more anime if your view of greatest anime/manga franchise is Naruto. Sure the manga's still going pretty well, but even the most hardcore fan must admit that the anime is steadily going downhill. There is no point in making 1 hour specials where the second half recaps the first, for that matter there is no reason for episodes to recap events from the same episode, period..!

You must not have seen much anime then... Naruto's just doing the same thing as any ongoing series based off of a manga... if the episodes go by too fast and they catch up with the manga, then they're screwed. Do you not remember the horrors of what happened to Rurouni Kenshin?

threesixtee
857th Post

"Re(4):DBZ Sparkling Apple Cider" , posted Fri 22 Apr 08:45post reply

quote:

Do you not remember the horrors of what happened to Rurouni Kenshin?

lol kenshin vs. super nazis

AFAIK hunter x hunter anime did a good job of not catching up to manga... anime just STOPPED altogether, then further manga arcs went straight to OAV.

BACK TO SUBJECT: sorry, I'm out of the loop - what's phantom dust?

Fuchikoma
1258th Post

"Re(5):DBZ Sparkling Apple Cider" , posted Fri 22 Apr 09:32post reply

quote:
lol kenshin vs. super nazis

AFAIK hunter x hunter anime did a good job of not catching up to manga... anime just STOPPED altogether, then further manga arcs went straight to OAV.

BACK TO SUBJECT: sorry, I'm out of the loop - what's phantom dust?

heh... don't forget the feng shui ninjas :smile:

About Phantom Dust, it's an X-box game that Microsoft designed specifically for the Japanese market... so it's the typical radioactive post apocalyptic future game where people can fly and shoot stuff out of their hands. It looks like Sparking is copying the basic engine having the game in 3d arenas with the view over your character's shoulder. I doubt it's actually the Phantom Dust director involved in Sparking since it is a Microsoft game... but hey there's plenty of anime games that rip off concepts from popular titles.

Shingo The One
491th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(3):DBZ Sparkling Apple Cider" , posted Fri 22 Apr 13:27post reply

quote:

Well Syo and Fuchikoma, I am a true anime fan and I surely have seen my fair share of anime, but Naruto is the best, and there's no doubt about it, both the manga and the anime.And actually, the anime won't catch up anytime soon;in fact, they're going to make a temporary break off the air.Let's see if I survive that.

Syo
127th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(4):DBZ Sparkling Apple Cider" , posted Sat 23 Apr 09:33post reply

At least taking it off the air for a while will be better than making contiuation errors via fillers. I suppose this is why I'm more leaning to modern short anime that gets the story done in 16-26 episodes nowadays. Don't get me wrong, I was an avid DragonBall fan before the western version (Hong Kong broadcast way back in the 80's), I suppose when you reach that age when you just don't have the energy to wait a week for 2mins of story progression streched to 30mins anymore. Oh, and I'm a Naruto fan too, just the recent direction of the anime is extremely painful...

"YO-HO! BOKU LIME!"

Undead Fred
2328th Post

"Re(5):DBZ Sparkling Apple Cider" , posted Sat 23 Apr 13:10post reply

quote:
I suppose when you reach that age when you just don't have the energy to wait a week for 2mins of story progression streched to 30mins anymore.
I saw this a while back, and I thought it was funny.

DBZ Parody

Shingo The One
493th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(5):DBZ Sparkling Apple Cider" , posted Sat 23 Apr 13:19post reply

quote:
At least taking it off the air for a while will be better than making contiuation errors via fillers. I suppose this is why I'm more leaning to modern short anime that gets the story done in 16-26 episodes nowadays. Don't get me wrong, I was an avid DragonBall fan before the western version (Hong Kong broadcast way back in the 80's), I suppose when you reach that age when you just don't have the energy to wait a week for 2mins of story progression streched to 30mins anymore. Oh, and I'm a Naruto fan too, just the recent direction of the anime is extremely painful...

What's really amazing Syo is that I somehow found out thanks a very reliable source called DJ-B13 who posted in some SRK.com forums, and sadly it's been quite a while since I last heard from him, that 90% of the anime filler(flashbacks, extended fights etc)is canon;which means that when you see something in the manga, almost always it's the anime that gives out the whole story.For the record, he found this out when he attended the Jump Festa event at the end of last year.And I sure am surprised I'm not the only one in the Cafe who is a fan of Naruto.BTW, did you know that finally next week we will at last enjoy the very first movie?I so can't wait to enjoy this one.

highlandcattle
35th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(5):DBZ Sparking" , posted Sat 23 Apr 18:17post reply

quote:

The King of Sparring?
let alone done something as big as DBZ.And who knows if this game will be even better than DBZ Budokai 3, since the game has the one character that Budokai didn't have even though it should have, Janenba.(Man, that was long).
To cut a long story short, leave it to Japan if you want a really good game based on a manga/anime hit franchise.

Well the budokai games are actually made in japan by ex SNK staff go figure

my blog: http://www.livejournal.com/users/highlandcattle /

Shingo The One
494th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(6):DBZ Sparking" , posted Sat 23 Apr 19:50post reply

quote:

The King of Sparring?

Well the budokai games are actually made in japan by ex SNK staff go figure

Yeah man, and go figure that they pulled off the perfect DBZ fighting game on their third and last strike.Third time's a charm, right?And MAYBE even with an exclusive European Collector's Edition(with the Japanese voices) on the way this summer.Wait and see.

Sensenic
1285th Post

"Re(6):DBZ Sparkling Apple Cider" , posted Sun 24 Apr 03:11post reply

quote:

What's really amazing Syo is that I somehow found out thanks a very reliable source called DJ-B13 who posted in some SRK.com forums, and sadly it's been quite a while since I last heard from him, that 90% of the anime filler(flashbacks, extended fights etc)is canon;which means that when you see something in the manga, almost always it's the anime that gives out the whole story.For the record, he found this out when he attended the Jump Festa event at the end of last year.

That's just stupid.

So adorable... Gluttony

Nihon mo ingenmame wo tsukurimasu Jan

Shingo The One
496th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(7):DBZ Sparkling Apple Cider" , posted Sun 24 Apr 03:34post reply

quote:

What's really amazing Syo is that I somehow found out thanks a very reliable source called DJ-B13 who posted in some SRK.com forums, and sadly it's been quite a while since I last heard from him, that 90% of the anime filler(flashbacks, extended fights etc)is canon;which means that when you see something in the manga, almost always it's the anime that gives out the whole story.For the record, he found this out when he attended the Jump Festa event at the end of last year.
That's just stupid.

Well Sensenic, it may sound stupid, but it is true.

Sensenic
1288th Post

"Re(8):DBZ Sparkling Apple Cider" , posted Sun 24 Apr 04:01post reply

quote:

That's just stupid.

To what extent, tho'?

I mean, a universal truth, it is not. The author/s of any original work has/have the rights over it and he/she/they can choose whether any external work based on his/her/their own may be canon or not.

Now, in this specific case, it might be true, of course, what do I know. But, could you just specify a little?

For example:
- Is it Sh. Jump's policy?
- In the case of Naruto/DB, was it Kishimoto/Toriyama himself who claimed so?
- Is there some law/rule/whatever I don't know about that says so?
- Another possibility?

Otherwise, I just won't believe your "reliable source", m'afraid.

So adorable... Gluttony

Nihon mo ingenmame wo tsukurimasu Jan

Shingo The One
497th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(9):DBZ Sparkling Apple Cider" , posted Sun 24 Apr 05:27post reply

quote:

That's just stupid.

To what extent, tho'?

I mean, a universal truth, it is not. The author/s of any original work has/have the rights over it and he/she/they can choose whether any external work based on his/her/their own may be canon or not.

Now, in this specific case, it might be true, of course, what do I know. But, could you just specify a little?

For example:
- Is it Sh. Jump's policy?
- In the case of Naruto/DB, was it Kishimoto/Toriyama himself who claimed so?
- Is there some law/rule/whatever I don't know about that says so?
- Another possibility?

Otherwise, I just won't believe your "reliable source", m'afraid.

I'm sorry Sensenic, I'll give you the specification.It's the very same creator of Naruto who has said that;in fact, he said that "the anime is the final product".

Baines
64th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(6):DBZ Sparkling Apple Cider" , posted Sun 24 Apr 06:25post reply

quote:
And I sure am surprised I'm not the only one in the Cafe who is a fan of Naruto.

You really shouldn't be, as it effectively became the new Dragon Ball Z and Sailor Moon, so you'll find people who think it is the greatest thing ever pretty much everywhere.

And while I haven't played Phantom Dust, at the time of release I thought the Psychic Force engine would have been great for a DBZ game. Though it instead got used for an X game, that from the look of it pretty much mostly just changed the character models...

Shingo The One
502th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"US and Europe get Sparking" , posted Sun 24 Apr 20:35post reply

quote:

Well my friend, the very same company, Bandai, who bring us the always cool games based on the hit manga/anime franchises, has said that Japan, America and Europe will get DBZ Sparking! this fall.
Here's the press release:
www.bandai.co.jp/group/news/2005041801.html