Possible game voice actor strike - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (3795 Views )

Ishmael
1946th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Gold Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Possible game voice actor strike" , posted Fri 15 Apr 03:19post reply

As reported in Variety. [Note: Needs registration.] A summary pulled from IMDB is as follows:
Hollywood's two principal actors' unions, the Screen Actors Guild (SAG) and the American Federation of Television and Radio Artists (AFTRA), have entered a critical phase of their negotiations with the major producers of video games with odds of a strike regarded as even, Daily Variety reported today (Thursday). Complicating matters, the trade paper observed, is the fact that video game publishers have created no umbrella organization comparable to the Association of Motion Picture & Television Producers to represent them with the unions. It said that one medium-sized publisher wasn't even aware that such talks were going on and appeared "nonplussed" by the possibility of a strike, saying that his company uses mostly non-union talent.

Replies:

OmegaDog
1493th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(1):Possible game voice actor strike" , posted Fri 15 Apr 03:41:post reply

quote:
Complicating matters, the trade paper observed, is the fact that video game publishers have created no umbrella organization comparable to the Association of Motion Picture & Television Producers to represent them with the unions.

Wait, what now? Then what exactly is the ESA?

quote:
It said that one medium-sized publisher wasn't even aware that such talks were going on and appeared "nonplussed" by the possibility of a strike, saying that his company uses mostly non-union talent.

Also, just a random tangential question -- how many games these days don't use voice acting at all, or use minimal (almost insignificant) voice acting? I'd be inclined to think that number is small nowadays, since we've got the space for it (compared to the days of floppies and cartridges) -- but still, budget might be a concern.

SO... IT'S FLITZ TIME EVERYBODY! | CCT: NEXT STAGE IS 20

[this message was edited by OmegaDog on Fri 15 Apr 03:49]

Burning Ranger
1159th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member+

"Re(2):Possible game voice actor strike" , posted Fri 15 Apr 06:31post reply

quote:

Also, just a random tangential question -- how many games these days don't use voice acting at all, or use minimal (almost insignificant) voice acting? I'd be inclined to think that number is small nowadays, since we've got the space for it (compared to the days of floppies and cartridges) -- but still, budget might be a concern.

I agree. One big selling point of a lot of games these days is the celebrity appeal. Look at all the games out there using the voices of David Duchovny, Bruce Campbell, Snoop Dogg, Wil Wheaton, Brooke Burke, etc. Of course, star power doesn't make the game, but it does raise hype and awareness.

Still, the worst that can happen is that some high-cost Hollywood talent won't do voices in games or lend their likenesses. Sure, some may defy the union's policy, but what can they do? And it's not like the industry would lose out on talent anyway. Just look at all those people doing dubs of commercial anime.

Advanced Cyborg E. Branger AKA Burning Ranger

"The war is over the fight is just beginning..."

Pollyanna
1009th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Re(2):Possible game voice actor strike" , posted Fri 15 Apr 06:32post reply

Fufufu...so maybe game companies will use the non unionized Texas studios and you poor bastards will have to hear my voice all the time.

exodus
2551th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(3):Possible game voice actor strike" , posted Fri 15 Apr 06:41post reply

and the plot thickens...

war
198th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(4):Possible game voice actor strike" , posted Fri 15 Apr 07:17post reply

ADV - ADV - ADV -ADV

Oroch
804th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(3):Possible game voice actor strike" , posted Fri 15 Apr 09:13post reply

quote:
Fufufu...so maybe game companies will use the non unionized Texas studios and you poor bastards will have to hear my voice all the time.

id rather shove an icicle into my ear

Undead Fred
2304th Post

"Re(3):Possible game voice actor strike" , posted Fri 15 Apr 10:44post reply

quote:

I agree. One big selling point of a lot of games these days is the celebrity appeal. Look at all the games out there using the voices of David Duchovny, Bruce Campbell, Snoop Dogg, Wil Wheaton, Brooke Burke, etc. Of course, star power doesn't make the game, but it does raise hype and awareness.

Still, the worst that can happen is that some high-cost Hollywood talent won't do voices in games or lend their likenesses. Sure, some may defy the union's policy, but what can they do? And it's not like the industry would lose out on talent anyway. Just look at all those people doing dubs of commercial anime.

Fine by me... I don't want celebrities in every game I play anyway.

So, does this cover, like, all of the other voice actors showing up in games, or just the celebrities that show up in games now and then? Like you guys said- I didn't think voice acting was THAT significant in games to warrant a union. I thought a lot of it was pretty much freelance work.

Ammadeau
1321th Post

"Re(4):Possible game voice actor strike" , posted Fri 15 Apr 11:20post reply

quote:
So, does this cover, like, all of the other voice actors showing up in games, or just the celebrities that show up in games now and then? Like you guys said- I didn't think voice acting was THAT significant in games to warrant a union. I thought a lot of it was pretty much freelance work.

Most is done outside of the union, which is why VAs often go uncredited in videogames in the US.

Got Next - it's a gaming site I write stupid things for

Pollyanna
1011th Post

"Re(5):Possible game voice actor strike" , posted Fri 15 Apr 12:20post reply

Some big name VAs will only do union work, which limits their number of potential roles, but increases their potential income from roles. It's a gutsy move, or rather...it's something you can only do if you're already well established or make a living from other acting work.

I believe there were several VAs that didn't return to Xenosaga 2, because it was non-union and they made the decision to go union only in between game dubs.

Companies like ADV don't do union stuff, but they also pay a little bit more than some other companies. I'd like to talk about contract loopholes, but that's sort of bad form and I doubt anyone's very interested anyway.

Freeter
4279th Post

"Re(6):Possible game voice actor strike" , posted Fri 15 Apr 12:55post reply

Let 'em hit the picket lines, that way NGBC and Namco X Capcom can cross over unscathed...

Pollyanna
1012th Post

"Re(7):Possible game voice actor strike" , posted Fri 15 Apr 13:02post reply

quote:
Let 'em hit the picket lines, that way NGBC and Namco X Capcom can cross over unscathed...

That's just silly. You know that companies will produce crappy dubs LONG before they'll just bring things over. (and I don't know how NGBC fits into the equation) They'll turn to companies like ADV or smaller studios with unknown actors first. Or they'll just do like they used to and hire people who aren't even actors...

Grahf
371th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(8):Possible game voice actor strike" , posted Fri 15 Apr 13:12post reply

quote:
Or they'll just do like they used to and hire people who aren't even actors...

Freeter
4280th Post

"Re(8):Possible game voice actor strike" , posted Fri 15 Apr 13:50post reply

quote:
(and I don't know how NGBC fits into the equation)

KOF:Maximum Impact, anyone?

Nate
503th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(9):Possible game voice actor strike" , posted Fri 15 Apr 15:09post reply

quote:
(and I don't know how NGBC fits into the equation)

KOF:Maximum Impact, anyone?

They've never had a reason to dub a 2D game before, though. Why would they start now?

I think KOFMI's dub was done to make it appeal to a wider audience, if anything.

ワンダフル! ビューティフル! エキサイティング!

Ammadeau
1322th Post

"Re(10):Possible game voice actor strike" , posted Fri 15 Apr 20:24post reply

quote:
I think KOFMI's dub was done to make it appeal to a wider audience, if anything.

No, it was required by Sony. All PS2 games released in the US need to have an English dub to get their approval. They only made up this rule the last year or so, which is why early PS2 games don't always have them.

Got Next - it's a gaming site I write stupid things for

Nate
504th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(2):Re(10):Possible game voice actor strike" , posted Fri 15 Apr 20:54post reply

quote:

No, it was required by Sony. All PS2 games released in the US need to have an English dub to get their approval. They only made up this rule the last year or so, which is why early PS2 games don't always have them.

Seriously? That's excessively stupid.

DUR HURR NO JAP TALK IN GAMES.

ワンダフル! ビューティフル! エキサイティング!

Ishmael
1950th Post

Gold Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(3):Re(10):Possible game voice actor strike" , posted Sat 16 Apr 00:44post reply

quote:

Thing is, I'm not sure if that's a hard and fast rule or if it's selectively enforced or what. KoF:MI has English but when the KoF 02/03 pack came out a few months later it was all in Japanese. Did the verbal cut scenes in MI force the change? Was Sony randomly screwing with SNKP just for fun? Was SNKP talking through their hats yet again?

Burning Ranger
1161th Post

"Re(4):Re(10):Possible game voice actor strike" , posted Sat 16 Apr 01:40post reply

quote:

Thing is, I'm not sure if that's a hard and fast rule or if it's selectively enforced or what. KoF:MI has English but when the KoF 02/03 pack came out a few months later it was all in Japanese. Did the verbal cut scenes in MI force the change? Was Sony randomly screwing with SNKP just for fun? Was SNKP talking through their hats yet again?

I think its a Capcom-led conspiracy against SNK. Since Capcom can't put out a decent 2D/3D fighter, then no one else will.

exodus
2554th Post

"XS Games, now with more incompetence" , posted Sat 16 Apr 02:59post reply

on a related note, did anyone else play 'Castle Shikigami II'? Man. If that wasn't the worst dub ever. Not only do they just use their little midwestern pals to do the voices, THIS time, they decided (I can only assume) to use a straight electronic translator to do the translation, and THEN decided to voice the results.

You wind up with people literally saying stuff like: "Oh, a white castle! It makes!"
Like absolute COMPLETE nonsense. It's pretty funny. Those guys are utter jackasses, and I hope their company folds like a deck of cards. I'm gonna write a review at some point...I'll try to write a bunch of them down.

ONSLAUGHT
3344th Post

"Re(1):XS Games, now with more incompetence" , posted Sat 16 Apr 03:08post reply

quote:
Those guys are utter jackasses, and I hope their company folds like a deck of cards.

The irony of this is so delicious!

exodus
2559th Post

"Re(2):XS Games, now with more incompetence" , posted Sat 16 Apr 04:59post reply

[quote
The irony of this is so delicious!

delicious like taffy?

Burning Ranger
1162th Post

"Re(1):XS Games, now with more incompetence" , posted Sat 16 Apr 05:29post reply

quote:
on a related note, did anyone else play 'Castle Shikigami II'? Man. If that wasn't the worst dub ever. Not only do they just use their little midwestern pals to do the voices, THIS time, they decided (I can only assume) to use a straight electronic translator to do the translation, and THEN decided to voice the results.

You wind up with people literally saying stuff like: "Oh, a white castle! It makes!"
Like absolute COMPLETE nonsense. It's pretty funny. Those guys are utter jackasses, and I hope their company folds like a deck of cards. I'm gonna write a review at some point...I'll try to write a bunch of them down.

I know.. the voice acting is HORRIBLE! And wierd because in-game, the voices are Japanese but the cutscenes have american dubs.

Mosquiton
1586th Post

Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Speaking of dubs" , posted Sat 16 Apr 06:40post reply

Samurai Western has a pretty damn good dub...

So, samurai (well, just one actually) in the old west.

Japanese people talk to Americans in English (he has a fairly strong Japanese accent).

Japanese guy talks to his Japanese brother in Japanese.

Makes sense doesn't it? The western accent (for characters that have it) is pretty decent too, as are the French and Spanish accents. Amazingly nobody really cheeses it up... it defies logic and expectation for sure.

Is it this way in the J-version?

/ / /

Pollyanna
1013th Post

"Re(1):Speaking of dubs" , posted Sat 16 Apr 10:47post reply

quote:

Is it this way in the J-version?

There's an English version?

I hope that answers your question.

Amakusa
604th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(1):XS Games, now with more incompetence" , posted Sat 16 Apr 12:45:post reply

quote:

Like absolute COMPLETE nonsense. It's pretty funny. Those guys are utter jackasses, and I hope their company folds like a deck of cards.

I don't care; I got to play the game on my PS2 for TEN BUCKS!!! If they can do that and keep churning it out (especially since the closest Shikigami 2 arcade unit is about 45 minutes from my house), never touch the Mobile Light Force art ever again, I don't care how crappy the dub is.

Especially since, oh my god! you can turn it off! So you'll miss such memorable quotes as "It's Idiot power!"

I found Kagami's sword in a junk yard.
I will rule the world and find that truly good cup of coffee.
"Dink-a-dink-a-dink-a-do."

[this message was edited by Amakusa on Sat 16 Apr 12:46]

Black_Hayato
119th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(2):I am Kim of 2 homes and 7 moms" , posted Sat 16 Apr 15:00post reply

XS is doing ok in my book. Shiki2 is a complete 180 from Mobile Light Force. And some of the actors are actually competent, but just at what they had to read. Some did try to improvise.

Plus its 9.82 on Walmart.com. I hope they do more shooters.

Iggy
6313th Post

"Re(2):XS Games, now with more incompetence" , posted Sat 16 Apr 18:54post reply

Too bad it had to happen to Shikigami twice... This is the only shôjo schmup I've ever played.
any insult involving the mother of the opponent <<<<<<<<<<<< "peasant!"

お主、ただの看護婦ではないと見た!